A Thousand Ages of Gold: RFC India

I tried another game and went straight for warrior code and melee promotions. That helped and I was able to capture a few barb cities. Completely different game. Before, I was surrounded and the enemy got to the barbs before I did and boxed me in.

looking into the Nandas spawning on top of the human player thing

Buddhist and Jain shrines should be buildable, patch for that below.

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.7z
    5.5 KB · Views: 83
I fixed the Nanda spawn issue. they now appear properly at Patna and will destroy everything in a 2 tile radius except a holy city or a human capital. fix for that below.

I've gotten as far as the Indo Greeks with the auto play and everything is reasonable. the Mauryans tend to vassalize most of north-central India, which is pretty cool.

@stolenrays: I'm glad you've shown interest in this because I'd like to add your advanced diplomacy mod to it. with all the players I think that would add a lot of fun.

I will make more civs playable soon, but need to extend the tech tree at least into the medieval era first I think.

Attachments

• RiseAndFall.7z
    14.3 KB · Views: 95
Suggestion: give the Achaemenids and Macedonians more gold. They tend to bankrupt quickly, leaving only single defenders in their cities, making them too easy to conquer.

well that's what they are supposed to do. there is actually a mechanic to steal troops from the Greeks as time goes on. it's possible that its happening to quickly though, I'll keep an eye on it.

nice to hear people are still interested.

I will look into the "Persia has declared war on Persia" bug

I think I need to finish the tech tree right up to 1800 before I add more civs. I want to get the number of techs per era balanced out. I think roughly equal numbers of techs for four eras:

Ancient - Mahajanapandas to Mauryans
Classical - Satavahanas to Chalukyans
Medieval - Rajputs and Muslim dynasties
Renaissance - Mughals to Colonial period

right now I have quite a few ancient techs so it may be tough to come up with enough for the other eras.

this is my idea list:

Spoiler :
Later techs:

Literature
#Horticulture
CasteSystem
Calendar
Bridge Building
LongDistanceTrade (Fairgrounds)
HorseArchery
NavalWarfare
MusicTheory
#Agrarianism
Marksmanship
Selective Breeding
TextileArts
SternRudder
Decimal System
CavalryTactics
WaterPower
Astronomy
Diplomacy

Guilds
Castle Building
Navigation
Engineering
HeavyPlough
HeavyArmor
TheStirrup
Architecture
BlastFurnace
Theocracy
BlackPowder
Algebra
ChequeSystem (Accounting)
CashCropping
Sanitation
Jurisprudence
Drama
Cartography
Paper

Optics
Machinery
Education
Medicine
CivilService/Bureaucracy
WelfareState/Public Works
ProfessionalArmies
MovableType
Flintlock
Astrolabe
Banking
Logistics
Alchemy
Chemistry
ScientificMethod
Metallurgy
Compass
MilitaryScience
Constitution
Physics
MilitaryTradition
Market Economy
Liberalism
Nationalism

feel free to offer ideas

also feel free to suggest other stuff, wonders etc.

For a wonder, the Jalantar Mantar of Jaipur built during the reign of Aurangzeb would a great wonder to boost science.

I found the cities scenerio much more fun. Of course, the cities tag will prob go away soon though. Here are some missing text entries I found.

TXT_KEY_MISC_RESEARCH_ESPIONAGE
TXT_KEY_TOPCIVS_HISTORIAN13
TXT_KEY_CIV_CIV22_DESC

I found myself running out of money when creating a large empire and only a few civics were enabled. Perhaps more civics enabled and some courthouse structures?

new version up, more or less complete up to the Sunga spawn in 180BC.

new feature: units that require resources are limited to a six per resource instance controlled by the player. so if you control 1 ivory you can build 6 elephants, if you have 1 iron you can build 6 total of armored units. there is a tooltip to show you how many more units you can build. texts describing ancient Indian armies consistently list vast numbers of light infantry and relatively few elephants and cavalry and I wanted to reflect this, as well as making controlling multiple resources more important.

the tech tree is done up to the early medieval period but is probably very badly balanced.

and the city name map is not complete but much further along.

some pictures:

11 of the 12 starting civs (Gandhara is out of the picture to the northwest)
Spoiler :

these Munda warriors discourage early southern exploration
Spoiler :

the Nandas prepare to defend Varanasi from a Mauryan attack
Spoiler :

and the civilopedia entry for the one of the epics

Spoiler :

there is now an svn repository for this here.

if someone could let me know whether or not its working I'd be grateful.

added some new buildings and 1 new great work. fixed many xml errors and adjusted some unreasonable tech costs.

thanks!

flags for the civs would be awesome. I don't mind leaving the 12 starting civs with the generic stripes but I'd like to have better flags for the others. I was planning to use your Satavahana and Pandyan flags from RFCCW, the Chola flag from RFCA and the vanilla Indian flag for the Mauryans.

I'm also using mostly generic building art so far, which could be improved.

rev 8

civics are complete and mostly available

each of the 12 starting civs now starts with 1 additional tech

some forests added to the central Ganges and upper Indus valleys

gave Lavapuri an iron and Purusapura a deer

Gandhara now starts with 2 settlers

random religion spread is now dependent on population. a city needs at least 4 population for a 2nd religion to spread to it, 7 for a 3rd, etc. this does not apply to missionaries.

Top Bottom