Meet the Modders

Blue Monkey said:
Ogedei & Plotinus understand that kind of blood, sweat and tears. Maybe some of the rest of you do as well.

Certainly do. :yup: The "Deep Play" article is one of my favorites among anthropological writings.

I'm also finishing up some stuff before I "return" to Korea for more ethnographic research, hence the reason I haven't made anything in a long while.

My supervising professor warned me in August that I'd have no time for family, let alone friends. To give you an idea: did 30 hours of reading, writing and prepping presentation visuals over Thanksgiving weekend. Including 4 on the day itself. Not to mention the 3-4 hours a day doing the participant-observation. Semester break just means a break from writing for a grade, not from reading or doing the WoW p-o. And dealing with the neglected household chores.

Ogedei & Plotinus understand that kind of blood, sweat and tears. Maybe some of the rest of you do as well.

Yep, I feel you, brother. The last 18 months (finishing my M.A. and starting my PhD) have been dominated by weeks with 50-60 working hours, moving into a new appartment, publishing my book, taking charge of a magazine... and next year will probably be the same. Hey, but I managed to buy a new kick-ass computer, which is nice. All I need now is some time to play. ;)

I'm also finishing up some stuff before I "return" to Korea for more ethnographic research, hence the reason I haven't made anything in a long while.
If you're around SoCal in March I'll send you an invite to the conference at UC Irvine (assuming my presentation is accepted).
Yep, I feel you, brother. The last 18 months (finishing my M.A. and starting my PhD) have been dominated by weeks with 50-60 working hours, moving into a new appartment, publishing my book, taking charge of a magazine... and next year will probably be the same. Hey, but I managed to buy a new kick-ass computer, which is nice. All I need now is some time to play. ;)
What's your area of research? & what kind of computer did you get? I've been thinking about getting a pc strictly to do my research on - many of the MMOs that are coming out next year are not available on my favorite operating system and my desktop is 2009 vintage anyway.

Working as a sophist now! :D

I had an offer by one of the libraries that i should present a version of my program on philosophy, but this time as part of the paid programs there...

So i am now going to officially be earning some euros as a sophist :)

Which is quite cool, in my view. It beats pushing barrels at the dock, or other stuff. Also it is easy for myself cause i am familiar with the material. It is 3 centuries by and large (7th-4rth) of the BC era, and something like 12 philosophers.

So i will now be known as Kyriakos Amphipolites, or Paraolympios, or some other extravagant title.

Merry X-mas :)

What's your area of research? & what kind of computer did you get? I've been thinking about getting a pc strictly to do my research on - many of the MMOs that are coming out next year are not available on my favorite operating system and my desktop is 2009 vintage anyway.

I'm currently writing about the european-polynesian contact in the 18th century, but I also have my side projects covering other historical events. Unlike some other PhD students I know, I'm also working a full-time job, so my sleep is very limited these days.

My PC is an i7-4790K, 4 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 780, and I would be able to play everything with all the bells and whistles IF I had time to play.

I'm currently writing about the european-polynesian contact in the 18th century
You're probably already familiar with the work of Ben Finney from University of Hawai'i , but if not look into his articles.

Working as a sophist now! :D

I had an offer by one of the libraries that i should present a version of my program on philosophy, but this time as part of the paid programs there...

So i am now going to officially be earning some euros as a sophist :)

Which is quite cool, in my view. It beats pushing barrels at the dock, or other stuff. Also it is easy for myself cause i am familiar with the material. It is 3 centuries by and large (7th-4rth) of the BC era, and something like 12 philosophers.

So i will now be known as Kyriakos Amphipolites, or Paraolympios, or some other extravagant title.

Merry X-mas :)
I'd rather go for O Kyriákos, Varōnos tēs Thessaloníkēs, myself. Conglaturation.

On the Takhisis front:
University is proceeding grindingly. To those to whome I've promised voicework things, bear with me. I was supposed to have a microphone delivered to me a few days ago, but apparently I'll have to engage in a *very* long bus journey to collect the thing myself.
Varonos was not a Greek title, though :eek:

Maybe Sebastocrator Kyriakos, Megas Doux Thessalonikes kai Pelagonias. Might work :)
Doux/Doukas is not a Greek title either. Neither is komēs. I'd go for Basilias, myself.

And I'm back in Korea (I'm always "back" in Korea since this is where my life's work is ;) ) at least until next year. Once I have regular internet access up and running, I'll get back to making more Civ stuff - it's also practice for practical applications as I intend to use Blender to make 3D models of my research locations.

Last year with my familly we tried something new.
We have been host familly for foreign student.

First with a 17 years old german boy, from April to June. Then for a 15-years old girl from New Zealand (and both her parents are Chinese), from end august to end November.

The boy/girl come to perfect their French language skills, and see our culture. So they leave with the familly as another children, go to school, spend the evening and week end with us, etc.

It was a very interesting experience, and we'll try to repeat it next year.

Last year with my familly we tried something new.
We have been host familly for foreign student.

First with a 17 years old german boy, from April to June. Then for a 15-years old girl from New Zealand (and both her parents are Chinese), from end august to end November.

The boy/girl come to perfect their French language skills, and see our culture. So they leave with the familly as another children, go to school, spend the evening and week end with us, etc.

It was a very interesting experience, and we'll try to repeat it next year.

Congratulations to you and your family, Steph, for doing that. I wish that more students from the US would do that, and see what other countries are like. Too many of them are hard-pressed to give the names of the seven continents and the five oceans (said a World Geography Professor), much less know about what other countries are like.

:clap::clap::hatsoff::hatsoff::thanx::thanx:

And yet, sadly, they can often quote all themes of the Byzantine Empire under the Isaurian dynasty from memory, even though they don't understand Greek. Young people these days…

And yet, sadly, they can often quote all themes of the Byzantine Empire under the Isaurian dynasty from memory, even though they don't understand Greek. Young people these days…

If you find World Geography students that can do that, send them my way. I must confess to the sad fact that I cannot do that, but must consult my copy of Oman's Art of War in the Middle Ages, Vol. 1.

Top Bottom