Single Player bugs and crashes v35 download - After the 18th of August 2014

Create an empty file and name it CustDomAdv.txt
Place it in the UserSettings folder.
Do your changes in game and press the save button in the editor.
Changes saved.

Cheers

confusing. When I searched for CustomDomAdv.txt I got no result.
Now I tried to save an empty
\Civ_4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\UserSettings\CustomDomAdv.txt and
I got shown an existing one.

Just create a new notepad file called CustomDomAdv.txt somewhere else and move it into your UserSettings folder.
Maybe check what the file taht is already there is though.

I wrote wrong last, the CustDomAdv is a .ini file, the text file should be CustomDomAdv.txt

If you search for and can not find it it is because you have opted to hide known extensions, in which case the files name in explorer might be searchable only without the .txt?

Cheers

no, that it not the reason. It is much more confusing that I noticed last night:

I had exit computer and now started comp new and game and load sav and both, the .tx still alive and the settings in game table still alive.
This the first time that this happens ever!

I remember I made two things yesterday: 1) I changed currency to Gold Standard, 2) I made a recalculation (ctrl shift T)

turn 1340
image 1 = memory and VRam usage before click next turn, image 2 = just at CTD
this is every 5-10 turn, depending how much I move over the world. image 3 = usage just after start game and load the sav made before click next turn.

There should be an (extra?) mod/tool which makes the ram empty from time to time while playing.

Try using CleanMem, that may help and it is free. :)

Try using CleanMem, that may help and it is free. :)

does not help. Now I get graphic memory could not assigned when I used 286 MB VRam only, but in fact it was at 3GB border again. (2924 Ram + 286 VRam)

I take it these mem based crashes are taking place on a stock v35 game right? The issue has been resolved on the current SVN.

no, it is the version of Jan 20 from Sparth https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B6VuHphw5zHzUkIxTFBZeE51V2c&export=download which is - as he told - his current up to date version of the current SVN as he has it installed.

If yo have a version where it is solved, make a package for download and I test it.

Edit
tree nursery not upgrading proper
when it is at end of period and I read "one turn"; next turn there is a notive that upgrade is declined, maybe deaktivate and activate it agai.
If I do so, again it is shown with 1 day, but after turn again it is same as before. It does not upgrade to young forest.

I still think you might be having some issues that were solved. It's almost impossible to work with a player who's not on the current SVN and be assured you aren't wasting hours and hours looking into a problem that doesn't actually exist in the current code.

The tree nursery issue is known and being addressed. Not sure where DH is with his end of that project but I think we got it covered now.

I still think you might be having some issues that were solved. It's almost impossible to work with a player who's not on the current SVN

sorry, it sould be no problem to make a 7z of the compelte /c2c folder structure and place it for download. Its a thing of 5 min.

I can not use SVN, it gives massive conflicts with other programs/setting I have.
:rolleyes:

It's a problem and I'm not doing it.
Reason 1: If we went to the trouble to do all that it may as well be a release. Since we want releases to be perfected as much as we can we wait until we're ready to release.
Reason 2: My internet is about a 500k download. Imagine what it is on an upload.
Reason 2.5: The problem is not likely fixed with a dll alone. In fact, if that's what you updated, it would probably create issues as there will then be incompatibilities between elements existing in the rest of the file set and what is expected by the dll. Therefore, one would need to make the whole mod available for download to make it work. Refer to point 2.

2: My internet is about a 500k download. Imagine what it is on an upload.
no need that You do it. There should be other around who can make a rar package?
After all, there is no difference if I replace my c2c by such a package or if I have SVN installed.

I cannot use SVN.
:rolleyes:

Edit
took a 2nd PC and installed SVN, downloaded all (1 GB only), copy it to C2C on my main PC, made recalcultion as suggested.
will see now what is different.
(I uploaded the SVN image to http://alphacentauri.us/Files/svn-image.zip - zip file size ~ 967 MB - if someone has same problem with SVN and wants to be up to date nevertheless)

Edit 2
the first that I notice is that all lighthouses which I had build are gone, need to build all again. But now the option for tunnel is shown.

Edit 3
CTD again when reach 3GB border
at 2900 MB memory usage and 335 MB VRam

This is the today's SNV version! It takes little bit less ram but each turn and each city screen it takes a big part more and does not empty the addresses ram right before the 3GB border. This problem you get not fixed by reducing some memory usage but only if you skip the no longer needed ram from former adressing. I.e., if you move over the world, or open a city window and close it, then these ram no longer is needed for use, so you can make it free. (other XP-games do have such additional mods which empty the ram any minute or so and work fine. Should be also possible for Civ.

I notice withthe current SVN version that there is a lowering of VRam while processing next turn, but not for memory usage. The VRam is not the thing, currently it takes 348 MB (max 381) only, and until 512 it should work anyways (or even more).

I will try the fix

Edit
currently I don't notice a significant difference.
while processing a turn memory usage rises by ~ 200 MB, and for the turn I need minimum ~ 100, means, even if I open no city screen and don't scroll a lot over the world, each turn needs minimum ~ 300 MB. As after restart the sav it is at ~ 1780 MB there are just 1200 MB for turns, means all 2-4 turns a CTD or manually sav and restart. If this expansion of the memory usage per processing turn (was little time before at 100 only now over 200) will continue, it is foreseeable when it is impossible to continue the game as one turn already needs more that it is free.

I monitored a sequence until next CTD
All turns w/o any or only with little moving, no city screens opend (except 1x)
So this is the minimum of usage:

task -------- Memory -------- VRam
------------------------------ ---------- ---------
turn 1533 before click next turn: 1,984 - 253
turn 1534 begin: 2,184 - 259
turn 1534 before click next turn: 2,245 - 261
turn 1535 begin: 2,396 - 264
turn 1535 before click next turn: 2,397 - 264
turn 1536 begin: 2,494 - 265
turn 1536 before click next turn: 2,528 - 268
turn 1537 begin: -- click next immedately
turn 1537 before click next turn: 2,596 - 271
turn 1538 begin: -- click next immedeately
turn 1538 before click next turn: 2,643 - 273
turn 1539 begin: 2,682 - 270
turn 1539 before click next turn: 2,683 - 272
turn 1540 begin: 2,723 - 274
turn 1540 before click next turn: 2,727 - 275
turn 1541 begin: 2,764 - 274
turn 1541 before click next turn: 2,788 - 276
turn 1542 begin: 2,832 - 277
turn 1542 before click next turn: 2,835 - 278
turn 1543 begin: 2,870 - 278
turn 1543 before click next turn: 2,890 - 279
CTD while processing at: 2,970 - 274

when I have to move over world a lot it may need 300 MB (i.e. I have ships to upgrade or be at war), and any city screen opening also ~ 40 MB

this may be good for someone with little Vram, it gives not so much and is w/o concrete effect for me (I have 4GB dedicated VRam). Problem is not Vram usage but memory usage. It is not understandable why (i.e.) the ram needed for open a city screen gets not free and can be used/addressed again after closing of the city screen. All these information is needed temporarily only. No need to keep all in ram.

Any time you run over 2,4xx usage with or with out vram you are pushing the 3GB limit.

Your numbers tell me that you have a game with Too many AI/units/Cities/ on too big of a map.

Reduce the number of AI at game start to less than 15. Do Not use a Map bigger than Huge. Do not play on a GEM map that has 32 pre set civs.

IF you have a x64 bit OS there is a 4GB patch that can be used to help x64 OS with the windows 3GB limit. The 4gb patch can be found here on the CFC site. Search for it.

Otherwise Dreifels you are just clogging up the Bug thread for v35 bug and crash reports.

The Problem is on your end, with your Computer limitations And how you set up your games. Adjust your set ups. No one else is having these problems.

JosEPh

sorry, but what you say is not right.

1) the OS64bit does not lift the the adressable range of a XP game to 4 but to 3GB, same as the 3GB patch for XP does. The only difference is that Win7/64 makes this room free automatically.

2) The GEM IS possible to play, I had it in v33 fine playing until game's end of all research. V33 had other bugs. But the ram usage was always close before the 3GB limit.

The problem is that now into the game got pressed too much w/o manage the max ram usage well. There is no real need that the game keeps all im ram what is used temporarily only.

Your arguments are an excuse only. As former versions worked with the GEM well, the later version of the game must not press things into the game by reducing the map. The logic of such doins is that in v36 or v37 we will have as max size the tiny map. LOL

Also, I found again several civs having up to 10 cities with EACH more than 150 units in. I counted and found that there are more than 10,000 units in game. Such is stupid.

The right way for the C2C should be the bugfixes of the v33 and watch with all new things or changes to keep the map playable. Otherwise it is a worthless work and not an upgrade but a downgrade.

It really is absolute frustrating and makes me furious, that I have wasted playing time of hundrets of hrs when I come to a game's end forced by ram, a thing that I cannot test before but alway read the CTD problem is fixed.

No, C2C claims to be an improvement to ROM, but in fact it is a collection of mass of nice but worthless details, like all the industry you get to build after you have electricity.

BTW: you have not understand any of the figures. The CTD IS the 3GB patch, otherwise it would crash at 2024. and your wirds of "computger limitations" is simply stupidity. I'm running on Win7/64 4GB Vram Nvidia, 16GB Memory. Much more than the game can use ever.

Also, I found again several civs having up to 10 cities with EACH more than 150 units in. I counted and found that there are more than 10,000 units in game. Such is stupid.

Yep too many units in-game is one of the major problems of the C2C. Im working with temporary fix and ill try to post tomorrow two version of the unit cost files. In short building units will neeeded 2x or 3x more hammers then now.

It has been suggested that it may be the "contacting system" for building units that is behind the problem because the AI builds units but can't build and use them for war and so reduce the numbers again in battle.

sorry, but what you say is not right.

1) the OS64bit does not lift the the adressable range of a XP game to 4 but to 3GB, same as the 3GB patch for XP does. The only difference is that Win7/64 makes this room free automatically.

2) The GEM IS possible to play, I had it in v33 fine playing until game's end of all research. V33 had other bugs. But the ram usage was always close before the 3GB limit.

The problem is that now into the game got pressed too much w/o manage the max ram usage well. There is no real need that the game keeps all im ram what is used temporarily only.

Your arguments are an excuse only. As former versions worked with the GEM well, the later version of the game must not press things into the game by reducing the map. The logic of such doins is that in v36 or v37 we will have as max size the tiny map. LOL

The right way for the C2C should be the bugfixes of the v33 and watch with all new things or changes to keep the map playable. Otherwise it is a worthless work and not an upgrade but a downgrade.

It really is absolute frustrating and makes me furious, that I have wasted playing time of hundrets of hrs when I come to a game's end forced by ram, a thing that I cannot test before but alway read the CTD problem is fixed.

No, C2C claims to be an improvement to ROM, but in fact it is a collection of mass of nice but worthless details, like all the industry you get to build after you have electricity.

BTW: you have not understand any of the figures. The CTD IS the 3GB patch, otherwise it would crash at 2024. and your wirds of "computger limitations" is simply stupidity. I'm running on Win7/64 4GB Vram Nvidia, 16GB Memory. Much more than the game can use ever.

And your Knowledge of What the game requires IS limited and You are Wrong.

I posted about a 4gb patch (Not the 3Gb switch which Is Not needed for x64 OS) that can be installed to help x64OS systems. I use the 4gb patch myself. But the game it self when it hits 2,200 has the chance to CTD and the closer you get to the 3GB barrier the faster it will CTD. The 4gb patch gives a bit more buffer. Your own postings show that you are Exceeding this 2,200 on a regular basis. The 4gb patch helps but still does not allow you to constantly exceed 2,400. Yet you want Us to fix your Over indulgence?

Don't get mad at us for your inattention to warnings about using too many AI and too big of a Map. The SVN is available to use but for whatever reason you choose not too. That is your choice. But we Do Not have to cater to your constant postings of using too much Ram video or main.

You are coming across like a little child who is not getting their way. Maybe it is the language barrier but maybe not again.

I too run win 7 64 with 2GB Geforce Vram and 8 GB main. I do Not have the problems you have because I Do Not play on Giant or bigger maps with more than 15 AI at game set up. Nor do I use the GEM Map that has not been Updated for Months. You Can Not Finish a game started on a GEM Map with 32 Civs to start Plus have REV On or Barb Civ. The single core BtS engine eventually chokes and CTD's! Period, you have reached your Limit and we can not fix that.

And What you playd on and thru on version 33 is no longer relevant to v35 and pre-v36. Too much has evolved and changed since then.

Do you Finally understand?!

@sparth,
Please don't add those new unit costs into the SVN. Driefels can use them if he wishes.

JosEPh

Top Bottom