Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

Deepsoul, not all resources are available straight away, in fact only a few are. If you look at the tech tree, you'll see when each of the resources are revealed. I know you personally don't like it, but it's the way I decided to design Anno Domini. If you would prefer the resources to be at least viewable on the map at the start of the game, you'd need to open up the resources.xml file (found in the XML/Gameplay folder) and delete all the lines that have "TechReveal" in them.

Tried that and it makes no difference. Please take a look at these screenshots:

Spoiler :

Looks pretty barren to me. Do you have to reach a certain year or what's the catch? I guess I could play a testgame to see if they appear but it takes a long time to get that far.

No, I don't have any other mods except IGE, but I just noticed something interesting. I started a game with the Earth map and then I could see all resources so the problem is only present in randomly generated maps, which is what I like to play sadly. I'm also getting tundra graphics in place of marshes, so there is clearly something wrong, but I can understand if you don't have any idea.

I really honestly don't know why this is. I play random maps too and have all the resources. The fact that you have tundra graphics in place of marshes is a concern and nothing that Anno Domini would have done.

I had the Tundra-for-Marshes issue too at some point but sadly I can't remember if it was with or without AD, and if it was with AD then it was with a rather early version and I was probably running other mods with it. Not having these issues anymore though and I don't know what I changed.

As for the resource issue, you did mention you don't have all the minor DLC other than BNW. This might cause your problems, or something with your random map generator is broken? Have you tried regenerating your base game files (as in, validate the cache on Steam and see if it's been installed correctly)? From Skyrim modding experience (yes, I know, different game) stuff like that might or might not be caused by leftovers from old mods. Maybe something changed your dll files and didn't change them back or something, I dunno. (I'm in way deeper than my knowledge about Civ modding allows. But might still be worth a shot because AD is awesome and it's a shame that you can't seem to run it.)

It already is, I believe. Its Cleopatra IIRC.

I had the Tundra-for-Marshes issue too at some point but sadly I can't remember if it was with or without AD, and if it was with AD then it was with a rather early version and I was probably running other mods with it. Not having these issues anymore though and I don't know what I changed.

As for the resource issue, you did mention you don't have all the minor DLC other than BNW. This might cause your problems, or something with your random map generator is broken? Have you tried regenerating your base game files (as in, validate the cache on Steam and see if it's been installed correctly)? From Skyrim modding experience (yes, I know, different game) stuff like that might or might not be caused by leftovers from old mods. Maybe something changed your dll files and didn't change them back or something, I dunno. (I'm in way deeper than my knowledge about Civ modding allows. But might still be worth a shot because AD is awesome and it's a shame that you can't seem to run it.)

I have Civ 5 GOTY with all DLCs, so I'm not missing anything, but I didn't buy it at steam so can't validate anything.

For what its worth, I think yours is better.

For what its worth, I think yours is better.

Very kind of both of you. Whilst I personally think Jan's is a better leaderscreen, it would be nice to see as much of my own artwork in the mod as possible, so I'll take this as confirmation that my version of Cleopatra is good enough to be in the mod.

Thanks for the update, Rob. Looks good!
Cheers!

Right then, opinions wanted :mischief: :cooool: !!

I'm looking at getting the civ packs "right" and possibly taking all the civs out of the base download. Yes, that's right :eek:!! It would be a pile of work for me to do, but if it's the right thing for the mod, then I'll do it. The idea is that then, for example, if you wanted to play with just the British civs, then those will be the only ones in the mod, so your own personal set-up was as customised as possible. If I do this, would I put Rome and Byzantium (plus variants, e.g. there's a few Byzantiums out there) in their own pack, Egypt in the Egyptian pack etc or should I have a pack of core civs, including Rome, Egypt and Persia, along with a couple of others? Ideally, there should be no more than 10 civs in each pack - it's a good number and there's a limit to the text that appears in the choose mods window to list them for easy reference.

I'd also like to change the packs a little. "Fertile crescent" could take Assyria out of the base pack (and Persia for that matter) and have some of the civs, such as Akkad, Elam and Sumer out of the "Justified and Ancient" pack. This would make room for the very old Greek civs, i.e. Ithaca, Minoa and Mycenae, which in turn would free up space for other Greek city states to be part of the "Ancient Greeks" pack. There would be a new "Middle East" pack for Nabataea, Israel, the Philistines et al. In the east would you prefer the Chinese civs to have a pack separately from the Indian ones - or should they all be bundled together as "Asian civs"?

Let me know your thoughts; I'll be working on the mod on Friday and Saturday this week.

Just for the record (because nobody's answering), I think whichever way you choose is going to be "right" because it's always arbitrary how you're going to group the civs. Personally, I'd separate the "northern" civs (i.e. all "barbarian" civs north of the Alps, and especially the Brisish ones) from the traditional struggle-for-the-mediterranean civs (Rome, Carthage, Persia), and keep the Asian civs separate but in one pack. And since you have so many Egypts and Greeces, it'd probably be a good idea to put them each in one extra pack.

I was thinking of suggesting a set of packs according to era rather than geography but that's not going to work well because many of the empires are going to overlap - to establish one empire, you have to absorb other nations, and eventually that empire is going to be swallowed up again by those who come after, so what would be the reference point (e.g. rise vs. fall of Rome) ... so yeah, regional is good and I think you've got some good ideas there. :)

I'm just wondering how to do something and hope someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking, as stated above, to delete all the civs from the base mod, so that they're only available in packs; this part I can do and I think it would make the mod a little more customisable, as you could play with just the Greek civs or the fertile crescent ones without the Huns, for example, being there.

I would like to have a "Classic civilizations" pack, which would involve Rome, Egypt, Persia, Greece, Carthage and the Britons under Boudicca. Again, this I can do, but here's where I need the help. I want it to be so that, for example, if this pack were used in conjunction with the Roman British pack, the Britons suddenly no longer feature and instead the 10 British civilizations appear, with Boudicca now leading the Iceni. How would I achieve this? Naturally, there's also the Greeks who would appear under Alexander, but I'd like them to no longer be available should the Ancient Greek pack be selected.

What I don't want to do is make the packs mutually exclusive or dependent on each other. It would be great to have the option to either play just the Greek city states, with Alexander in charge of Greece, or have them alongside a more generic Briton, with Rome, Egypt, Persia and Carthage.

I'm looking, as stated above, to delete all the civs from the base mod, so that they're only available in packs; this part I can do and I think it would make the mod a little more customisable, as you could play with just the Greek civs or the fertile crescent ones without the Huns, for example, being there.

Yes, I believe this is a very good idea. Also because it might make it easier to load the mod into the World Builder. I'm still hoping that some day I can build a map for AD. (Actually I'm going to try again today, just downloaded v18 to have a look at the mod through IGE and stuff in order to see the resource rebalance and what I have to look out for when building a map - if the game lets me.)

That's not hard to do - in the Associations tab of the other packs, set the classic pack as a reference for them. This won't make them mutually exclusive or depend on each other, but the other packs will be always loaded after the classic pack. Then in the XML/SQL code in the other packs you can just make the appropriate classic civs unplayable, for example by using:

Code:
	<Civilizations>
		<Update>
			<Set Playable="0" AIPlayable="0"/>
			<Where Type="CIVILIZATION_GREECE"/>
		</Update>
	<Civilizations>

In SQL it would look like this:
Code:
UPDATE Civilizations
SET Playable = 0, AIPlayable = 0
WHERE Type = 'CIVILIZATION_GREECE';

There won't be any errors if the classic pack is not loaded and the civ in question doesn't exist - the code just won't find anything to update.

I'll post a quick list of stuff I found while IGE-testing the base mod (with no other civ packs).

Good things first: All techs are working. All resources are showing up in the top panel. All buildings are working (as in, there are no crashes - haven't checked if the yields are correct). All units are working (so no inexplicable crash at turn xy because the AI built a certain unit). City-to-Unit-strength-ratio is good: Capital on a Hill with all defensive buildings but no wonders has Str90 (at size 1; size 25 has 100), strongest unit of each line has Str37-45. And boy am I excited about the Civs and their UAs and UBs. And the new promotions!!

The ambiguous stuff:
- There is a shortage of some resources, the most severe being Mudbricks. Lots of buildings require them and each city can only produce 5 Mudbrick. I bought every building I could with only one city, and I'd need TEN more Mudbrick to build all other buildings that require them, not counting Wonders of any kind. However, this is a landlocked city, so with the additional Mudbricks from Docks it'd be down to SEVEN missing. Which I think is okay, just like the slight shortage of Prime Timber and Limestone, because you'll get these resources from puppet cities or the map itself. I put it under the "ambiguous" subheading because I think it's a good thing if you have to put a little thought into which cities you want to push at the expense of what others.

The "buggy"/oversighty stuff:
- The Church still has no tooltip, so you have to check the civilopedia to see what it does. Tied to that is that the Byzantine version of the Church says it provides the same yields as a regular church and then lists some (+Culture, Happiness and Faith) that do not correspond to the regular Church. Also, is it intentional that a Church is the only building in the game that cannot be bought? Makes it hard to get the Hagia Sophia national wonder.
- Dye workboat doesn't seem to have a texture. There's no oil rig anymore; the Dyes just become invisible. Is the Dye workboad even still in officially?
- Venetian Galleass is VERY strong. Regular Galleass has 27/40, the Venetian has 42/60 ... probably from when you had increased unit strength instead of reducing city defense strength. I changed it to 35/45 for my modmod. (Currently carrying some changes I got to like and depend on over to the new version, one of which is slightly increased ship strength, especially the Curragh (12 instead of 8) and the Galley (18 instead of 12).)

Okay, that's it for now. Think I'll just try to start building my scenario now, with hand-placed resources. *fingers crossed* [EDIT: IT LAUNCHED!!!! Let's hope it won't suddenly decide to not work after all.]

Okay, my first map is finished. This is my first attempt at making a map for a modded Civ5, so if you encounter any bugs or weirdness, please feel free to contact me so I can try to fix it. (And maybe tell me how if I don't know how to fix it myself.)

The map "AD v18 Random 12+24" is designed for the base mod of Anno Domini (v18), so no additional civ packs were loaded while creating it. I just tested it briefly with the base mod as the only mod enabled, and everything seems to be working as intended: Start locations are fixed but randomized (if that makes sense ... there are 12 "Random Player" starting locations and 24 "Random City State" starting locations). I suppose other civ packs can be loaded with it. Not sure how the game will behave if you try to load more than 12 major civs and 24 City States, though.

Now, briefly about the map - I designed it specifically with 12 civs and 24 city states in mind, so the resources are all balanced around that. I tried to keep strategic and especially luxury resources sparse, so there's a total of 10 instances of each luxury (for 12 players), and Iron/Copper/Horses aren't abundant either. Each starting location has been provided with the same amount of resources, but the resources differ - 4 have Iron, 4 have Copper, 4 have Horses, and of the "minor" strategic resources (Barley, Pigs, Stone, Limestone), each civ has 2 Stone and 4 instances of one of the other three. City States have less but each of them is of equal worth resource-wise. And then there's resources scattered across the free part of the map, of course. The only thing that's really abundant, though, is fish, because I got too lazy to count (all other bonus resources have 60 instances each on a Huge map). Also, every single Natural Wonder is present on the map. I tried to distribute them evenly, and the "special" ones (Hippocrene, Mount Ag...something (the one that gives a promotion), Midas' Palace, and Valhalla) are each in special/"secret" locations.

So ... let me know what you think if you want to test it! (The map itself does not try to imitate any real place, soooo it's just like playing a randomized game except I've put a little more thought into the map than the algorithm does.)

I'm going to expand this map into an actual scenario where I'll place cities and stuff. That's what I've wanted to do ever since I discovered AD, but up until this version I could never launch the World Builder with the mod (or even without it; reinstalled it and now it's working) so .... yeah. [EDIT: Or not. This is a buttload of work, and I'd have to do it all over again for the next version if I place units and buildings specific to a certain civ.]

Edit: Okay, not all is working as intended. Player 1 always ends up in the same starting location, regardless of the civ. Probably the first one I picked but possibly also the one the game thinks best. It's a Flood Plain start, so if you want to try the map as it is, pick a civ that fits the terrain ... until I find a fix (or someone tells me one).

Top Bottom