Desktops...

Status
Not open for further replies.
IceBlaZe said:
VBraun I want a dekstop like that.
What do you use?
I used the free version of WindowBlinds to change the skin of it. Then to get the drop shadow on windows and the slightly transparrent start menu I used YzShadow (google for it). The calender/event/to-do list is Rainlander. Then I use Konfabulator, for the clock in the upper right, the weather, the system moniters, and the RSS news feader. Konfabulator does cost money ($20) but it offers over 600 "widgets" to put on your Desktop.

Also I used LogonStudio to change my login screen to this one: http://www.wincustomize.com/ViewSkin.aspx?SID=1&SkinID=1476&LibID=26

Another way to do this, is to just buy a Mac. ;)

@anarchywrksbest and Strider

:D

May I ask...

Where did you get them from (this time)?

Cheers :goodjob:

How much load does it put on your computer?
Will my 1.33Ghz/512MB old computer fancy that?

Lozzy_Ozzy said:
@anarchywrksbest and Strider

:D

May I ask...

Where did you get them from (this time)?

Cheers :goodjob:

Graphics Card Wallpaper.. came on my driver CD :). Nvidia is great for the extras.

IceBlaZe said:
How much load does it put on your computer?
Will my 1.33Ghz/512MB old computer fancy that?
I'm not sure, you can see in the screenshot that Firefox is open, and I'm using 33% of my avaliable memory. It will probably work if your not going to be playing any graphic intesive games such as Battlefield 2. Infact when I go to play the demo I close out of Konfibulator so that it will run smoothly. It really depends on how much widgets you are going to use.

I run an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and 1gb of memory.

Changing the shell does not put any extra load on the computer. You can see a Linux and a Macintosh -like desktops posted by me earlier in the thread, and they were running on a 150MHz laptop.

Windows Blinds will knock the wind out of an old CPU which is why I am not running it. There used to be much more efficient alternatives but they seem to have disapeared recent years :sad:

Here is evidence that hardware specifications should not prevent modifications, see the CPU frequency in image. It is not as nice as vbraun's but it's still a refreshing change from Microsoft :p

Attachments

• p150mmx.jpg
    p150mmx.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 314
I was going to show how little difference changing the shell makes, but unfortunately, Process Explorer does itself ruin the result. Nearly all the CPU time is being used to report CPU usage :crazyeye:

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 289
Several years ago (1999?) there was a shell dedicated to cloning the Mac desktop, with properly working Finder and task-bar menus, but I cannot find it anywhere now!

Even further back (1997?) there was a simple tool that put images (i.e. stone marble graphic) into Window title-bars. This was not as impressive as Window Blinds, but it was very fast. I cannot find this either.

There were countless of other tools, and I can find none of them. All vanished! :eek:

The amount of customisation available seems to be much less in 2005 than it was in 2000. Maybe Microsoft's XP themes have actually destroyed the customisation industry? :cry:

That aswell. Microsoft wanted to make customisation dependent on them, so they could charge for each theme :cry:

Strider said:
Graphics Card Wallpaper.. came on my driver CD :). Nvidia is great for the extras.

Cheers, I have an Nvidia...

I will go hunting for it.

Been playing around some today.....

Attachments

• zorven-desk07-2005.jpg
    zorven-desk07-2005.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 247
vbraun said:
I used the free version of WindowBlinds to change the skin of it. Then to get the drop shadow on windows and the slightly transparrent start menu I used YzShadow (google for it). The calender/event/to-do list is Rainlander. Then I use Konfabulator, for the clock in the upper right, the weather, the system moniters, and the RSS news feader. Konfabulator does cost money ($20) but it offers over 600 "widgets" to put on your Desktop.

Also I used LogonStudio to change my login screen to this one: http://www.wincustomize.com/ViewSkin.aspx?SID=1&SkinID=1476&LibID=26

Another way to do this, is to just buy a Mac. ;)
I was wondering how you all are getting thoes cool windows skins ;).

And finished playing....

Attachments

• zorven3.jpg
    zorven3.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 247
I felt like busting out ye ol' hack n' slash.. so I decided I should get a fitting wallpaper as well..

It's a great game (Diablo II).

Best game Blizzard ever made. I can't believe they went with the Warcraft setting for a MMORPG. Diablo III would have been way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom