NavyDawg's Unit Creation Thread

NavyDawg

Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
OK, this thread will allow me to preview units I'm working on and get your feedback. I'm using Poser right now and am focusing on humanoids. In the future, I'll try out Bryce for some vehicles, but that will be farther down the road.

My next unit I'm planning is a modern GI, fairly generic, with a SAW. Preview image below. Let me know what you think...

Attachments

• GI SAW.jpg
    GI SAW.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 765
Looks good. I got the toys if you got the time. PM me if you have an IM program.

Very nice. One suggestion though, gather his pants just above his ankles and tuck them in his boots. This will give him an authentic "grunt" appeal...

I would agree that the pants should be bloused (in the boots). There are some pants by Kinboat that look that way... I just can't recall the model but I know it is available for free.
I like the rifle a little chubbier, like you've done here... but, I would suggest you shorten it a little.
The helmet is WW2. If you need a modern USA style helmet lemme know and I will post on here for you.
I like your textures, but I don't think there is quite enough civ color. Can you make the belts a little wider?

OK guys, thanks for the comments. I think I know the pants you mean. I'll give them a try. Also, I'll shorten the rifle a bit and see how it looks.

Bjorn, I'll try a more modern helmet if you have one. I think the one he has is Vietnam era. But don't quote me on that, us Navy guys don't wear helmets very often.

Shiro, I'll make a black version as well. I also have some other nice camo textures and a few other rifles, so if I can get some animations, I'll probably role out a few versions.

Edit: New Version Preview Below

Attachments

• Gi New.jpg
    Gi New.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 462
Looks nice. If you need to add more stuff with civ color maybe you could put civ-color ammunition pouches or various other accessories on the belt. The SAW gunner always carries a couple big pouches for the ammunition containers.

Allright, new preview below. I like how this looks and will probably start animating soon. Thanks again for the useful suggestions!

Stormrage, I have found some cool sci-fi rifles (Aliens, Starship Troopers) and plan on making some units like you described on down the road.

Attachments

• GI New.jpg
    GI New.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 488
Why don't you put a net on his helmet! you know like in WWII the U.S. soldiers have! and that texture on his uniform those spots are way too large you should make tame smaller and multiply them! except those thing :goodjob: :)

I like the way that looks. the ammo pouches is a huge improvement! If you are planning to do a few different versions as you stated previosly could I request making the uniform a solid olive color and the helmet covering the WWII style marine Khaki with brown and green splotches? If the weapon he has is either an M-14 or a thompson it could be used for Korea and Vietnam.

:thumbsup: Yeeesssss! That looks great Dawg. I was a saw gunner for a while my self. I love this unit and I can use it and any other variants(sci-fi) for the Omega Project. Talk to Wyrm and see what toys he can let you have to play with.

What on earth is a SAW?? Otherwise, looks good.
Stormrage said:
Since we`re all making suggestions, I`ll make a request I`d like to see a guy with a solid olive green uniform, and a much thicker (sci-fi) rifle, something like this:
Reminds me of SG-1!

Storm Grunt said:
:thumbsup: Yeeesssss! That looks great Dawg. I was a saw gunner for a while my self. I love this unit and I can use it and any other variants(sci-fi) for the Omega Project. Talk to Wyrm and see what toys he can let you have to play with.

How heavy is this bad boy? Does the default and run need to have two hands holding it? Also, would you fire it in a full automatic mode or bursts? Thanks for the insights, I'll try to make the anims as real as possible.

Top Bottom