MTCSG-01: Immac's Muti-Threaded Concurrent Succession Game -01

Immaculate

unerring
Multi-threaded concurrent succession game -01 (MTCSG-01)

Note that this game is a Vanilla (I don‘t have the expansion).

Concurrent succession games are nothing new. There have been a few since I started lurking these boards:

Ruff02- Concurrent Succession Game

Spl01- Noobish Players Try the Concurrent Format

P666-01 Fix the trash game

I might thave missed one amongst these boards, but these are the ones I am familiar with. As far as I can tell, the format started with a joke by ruff hi, and inspired by Golf, developed into a civilization style.

ruff hi said:
I'm thinking of starting a concurrent succession game. What does that mean? In the Chaos game that we are playing (see sig at bottom), I'm the prankster and I marked 3 players as 'up', basically joking around with the roster. Well, they took that literally and all three played the next ten rounds and then left it to me to decide which was the official round. That got me thinking ...

In golf, there is a team game (2 v 2) where everyone tees off and the team plays the next shot from the location of the best ball. For example, Player 1, Team 1 hits a drive 300 meters. Player 2, Team 2 hits a drive 350 meters. For the next shot, both Players 1 and 2 would hit from the location of Player 2s ball. They would then take the best of those shots and play their 3rd shot from that location.

So, a concurrent succession game would involve a team of 5 or 6 all playing each round (including write up) and then deciding which was the best save. Then that save would form the basis of the second round - again, everyone plays the round but from the selected save.

This sort of game would be slower but it would enable everyone to compare their round with each others. There are a few issues that would need to be discussed before we start ...
how do we decide which is the 'best' save - we would need a scoring method
early exploration would need directional constraints so that we don't benefit from revealed map info
timing - I was thinking 4 days to play and write up, 1 day to post, 2 days to decide which save is 'best' (maybe play / write Sat-Tue, post Wed, discuss Thur, vote Fri)
other issues?
So - is there any interest out there for a concurrent succession game?

There were a few problems with this game. Firstly, it was difficult to accurately judge which was the ‘best’ game and secondly, there was some dissension regarding who’s game was going to be used as a basis for the new players’ turns. Seconly, it was difficult to develop a plan that lasted longer then a single player’s turn. Some players had some amazing ideas for long-term development but these were superseded by the immediate gains developed by other players. I would like to have the opportunity to investigate all these possibilities.

So, partially to solve these problems, and partially because it would just be cool, I propose a multi-threaded concurrent succession game (name suggested by Frankcor).
So, in the original concurrent succession game format players from the second team all had to agree (or vote) on which of the frist team’s saves they wanted to use and they all played from that save. Then once they were done, it would be up to the members of the first team to decide which of the second team members’ save they wanted to use and they all used that. The discussions were great (and sometimes animated), but the choices were a tiny bit limited.
We will be doing something similar except that members of the second team will EACH choose which save they want to use from amongst the first team’s members. During their write-up, they will discuss why they choose that particular save and why they decided to build on that particular game. Once they have posted their saves and write-ups, members of the first team will then each, in turn, choose amongst the saves from the second team and play one of those games. It shouldn’t take too long, in this fashion, to develop up to four (assuming two teams of four) parallel games. Between each turn, its quite possible that any single one of those parallel threads (as aptly named by Frankcor) end to be replaced by another thread developed from one of the last save games.

This format takes longer then most other succession game formats so get ready for a long game, but then, on the other hand, don’t worry too much about having too much on your plate (ie- “I’m in too many SGs right now”).

Difficulty: Either Monarch or Emperor (to be discussed).

Leader: I would like to play a spiritual leader because this will allow for the most creative degree of divergence between games as players make the most use of the appropriate civics. I would like to play Hatsheput, but whatever we choose is fine by me.

Roster:
Immaculate
Frankcor
Remconius
Pholk (wants to be part of team two)

Llamacat
Pigswill
Ozbenno
Kanga DU

Mutineer

We will decide on the teams once the roster is a bit more full.

now that would've been a great name!! :lol:

anyway, i'll join this up, but put me in for the 2nd team. One problem we had, as far as I saw it, was the longer time frame for game submission. It could be solved, perhaps, w/a "24 hr got it/72 hrs to post" ~ at least that's my suggestion.

also, as far as game details, would prefer Emperor, but will play Monarch. Also, if we do Emperor, maybe Mansa...a little overdone, but i've never been him...doesn't that count for something?

Map? preferred: none
Size? preferred:Standard
Speed? preferred: Normal

hmmm

Immaculate said:
We will be doing something similar except that members of the second team will EACH choose which save they want to use from amongst the first team’s members. During their write-up, they will discuss why they choose that particular save and why they decided to build on that particular game. Once they have posted their saves and write-ups, members of the first team will then each, in turn, choose amongst the saves from the second team and play one of those games.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that every member plays the save file through a set of turns, and then every one of them posts a complete report on those turns? Then somehow the members of the next team have to wade through all those reports and come to a decision? Sounds a bit much....

FYI: the type of golf competition being referred to is called "Captain's Choice" although many people mistakenly call it Best Ball (which is something else entirely, if you ever watch the Ryder Cup).
- Captain's Choice (usually team of 4) means that everyone hits a shot and then only the captain decides which ball to play for the next shot and the process is repeated. Because there is no voting, it's not as complicated as it sounds.
- Best Ball (2 vs. 2) is when each player plays their own ball for the hole and the best score of that hole is marked.

Having said all that, I will join this if allowed, but I am only a Noble level player so I understand if not. Otherwise just butting in here with the golf analogies in case it helps clarify how your rules go ... :)

I'd like to give this one a go. I'd be more comfortable on monarch particularly on normal speed. Either team is fine by me. How many turns per set? I'd say fifty would be about right for the first couple of sets then maybe go down to fourty.

Edit: Spiritual sounds like a good idea. In 'fix the trash game' we're allowing five days to play and submit and two days to evaluate and choose. Because the sets are three or four times longer than usual for an SG its roughly equivalent.

@ Llama ~ thanks for the golf lessons, but i think that you *should* play, even on Monarch, b/c what better way for you to compare playstyles than w/several other people??

pholkhero said:
anyway, i'll join this up, but put me in for the 2nd team.

I'm honored. Of course you are in.

LlamaCat said:
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that every member plays the save file through a set of turns, and then every one of them posts a complete report on those turns? Then somehow the members of the next team have to wade through all those reports and come to a decision? Sounds a bit much....

:)

Nah...
Oh no! confusion.

Its works like this:
If you and me and Betty and Ryan all play turns 1-40, then Bob, Charlie, Simon and Richard all play turns 41-80, then Bob, Charlie, Simon and Richard all have to wade through the reports of you, Betty, Ryan and I and choose which one to play and play only that save (not the other three).
Then you, Betty, Ryan and myself wade through the massive amounts of reports generated by Bob, Charlie, Simon and Richard and play any single one of those, etc.

Okay, second point:
In regards to a decision, the players don't have to come to a consensual decision, they can just play whatever save they want. So yes, they have to come to a decision, but its a purely personal decision. Thats what seperates this sort of game from the regular concurrent succession game(s).

Get it?

its sort of like captain's choice, but not quite i guess. got another golf game you can compare it to?

LlamaCat said:
Having said all that, I will join this if allowed, but I am only a Noble level player so I understand if not. Otherwise just butting in here with the golf analogies in case it helps clarify how your rules go ...

Llamacat, of course you can play. If people don't like your saves or something, they can just choose another, so its okay to have a mix of seasoned and newer players (and those that rank in the middle). For those with less experience, it may be a great educational experience because they can compare their games and decisions to those of others directly. So, yes, i would love to have you. And, well, i got to ask, what's the story behind the name?

pigswill said:
I'd like to give this one a go. I'd be more comfortable on monarch particularly on normal speed. Either team is fine by me. How many turns per set? I'd say fifty would be about right for the first couple of sets then maybe go down to fourty.

pigswill is IN! And no one else is any form of chopped organ. Teehee.

ozbenno said:
Ever since Ruff's original version I've wanted to get in on one of these, so if you'll have me...

Monarch or Emporer is fine!

you are in- just stay away from my beard.

Okay, so i guess some people brought up some interesting points.
Game speed.
Turn length.
Turn around time playing.
Still discussing leaders.
Map type and size.

In terms of leaders, it looks to me like the votes are as follows:

Asoka: zero
Mansu: 1 (pholk) -he is this month's GOTM though
Izzy: 1 (Oz)
Ghandi: zero (oh please no)
Hatsheput: 1 (me)
Monty: zero
Saladin: zero (almost forgot about him even though he my personal favorite- though getting sick of sometimes leader)

Kanga_DU said:
Only done monarch in other SGs but keen to try this out.

K, you are in too. That fills the roster.

That was much faster then i expected.

Do we want to let two more players join for teams of five?

I don't have time for a game, but I was in (read: helped abandon) the Splime game. This format requires some serious time commitment. It does sound like you whittled out some of the endless discussion and gripery, though. Also, without the voting, you eliminate some of the feelings hurt or the constant battery by one better-than-everyone player :rolleyes:.

It also sounds like you added some extra reading though. I barely can keep one game straight, but I'm dumber than your average idiot. I'll try to keep up, if you don't mind a smart-ass lurker.

Rex Tyrannus said:
It also sounds like you added some extra reading though. I barely can keep one game straight, but I'm dumber than your average idiot. I'll try to keep up, if you don't mind a smart-ass lurker.

There's another kind? No, seriously, i mostly lurk. yeah, lurk away, the more the merrier. chime in.

Rex Tyrannus said:
I don't have time for a game, but I was in (read: helped abandon) the Splime game. This format requires some serious time commitment. It does sound like you whittled out some of the endless discussion and gripery, though. Also, without the voting, you eliminate some of the feelings hurt or the constant battery by one better-than-everyone player :rolleyes:.

Okay, on a more serious note. Endless discussion and gripery sounds bad and so do feelings hurt. So, we're all adults here (or willing to behave like one)? We realize that sometimes a person needs to be told things softly- its just human nature. Lets all just be cool. (mental picture of Pulp fiction).

EDIT: I checked out the Spl01 game and i am not very far. I'm still on the first page, but your writing is pretty-good and (witty too). I'm at:

Rex Tyrannus in Spl01 said:
Turn 2
3960 BC

Our sages wish to experiment. Perhaps, they tell Us, cattle can be more than just decoration.

(...chooses to research animal husbandry...)

We dream of seven fat cows, seven lean cows, and an interpretation that can't possibly come until monotheism...

Turn 3...

So, umm... what decorations?

Rex Tyrannus in Spl01 said:
We must learn the way of the fish if we're to ever taste of the bounty of the sea. Plus, Mr. Hatepshut has a thing for linguini with clams. It keeps him from bugging Us every night about "are we ever gonna have sex again? You're frigid. I should have married your sister instead

Precious.

EDIT 2:

So i just finished SP1. It just sort of ends and one person plays for 16 days and no one says they didn't want to play anymore or anything. What happened there?

pholkhero said:
Haha...splime01 ~ the game that started it all :lol:

Bob, you and me go back--what?--5000 years? Quite an empire we got now, huh? Hey, remember when it was just you, me, and that broad at the front desk? What was her name? Jenny? Sherrie? You know, the one with the rack? Man, good times...Good times.

Rex Tyrannus said:

Bob, you and me go back--what?--5000 years? Quite an empire we got now, huh? Hey, remember when it was just you, me, and that broad at the front desk? What was her name? Jenny? Sherrie? You know, the one with the rack? Man, good times...Good times.

As a tip of the hat, we should name our first warrior Bob.

Hi guys, I am here.

Tip for Immaculate, dont edit post you expect people to read. I only saw you added the link today (9 posts up), eventhough I'm on these boards every day. I surf by reminders to subscribed threads. Editing doesnt create a reminder. Might be good to PM frankcor to let him know you started a thread (or add a post to the registration thread.

Now let's review the options.

One note: Something to consider about his concept is that you could be playing dead-end games that nobody picks up, round after round. That's not very motivating. Not sure how to counter this. Maybe everyone has to pick up a different one...

I dont mind playing one of the peaceful (and usually powerful) leaders:
Hatty with War chariot rush and free culture, always good.
Isabelle, Cyris or MM are fine too.

As this could potentially be lengthy, we should probably start with a shorter game. Small map and standard length.

Map type I dont know, the more random the better.

I think we can play emperor as 4 people play the same game, could be a good learning experience.

remconius said:
Hi guys, I am here.

Tip for Immaculate, dont edit post you expect people to read. I only saw you added the link today (9 posts up), eventhough I'm on these boards every day. I surf by reminders to subscribed threads. Editing doesnt create a reminder. Might be good to PM frankcor to let him know you started a thread (or add a post to the registration thread.

I'll go add a post in the registration thread right away. Thanks for the tip.

And we're off like a herd of turtles (my dad used to say that)!

I've rolled a start.

Its archipelago, snaky continents, low sea levels, normal speed, emperor difficulty.
I rolled dice on whether we would play Hatsheput, Isabella, or Mansu and we ended up as Spain.

Settings (its doesn't show snaky continents?):

Position (i discarded the first one i rolled because it was an ice nugget):

And here is the save.

So, we'll go with the members of the A-team first:

Immaculate Frankcor Remconius Llamacat Mutineer​

Play 50 turns to start. Anyone know off the top of their head what year that will take us to?

Lets try to post our saves and write-ups by Wednesday?

EDIT: To make the stupid pictures show up right. Also, to ask what year playing 50 turns will take us to on normal speed.

Top Bottom