MTCSG-01: Immac's Muti-Threaded Concurrent Succession Game -01

Sorry, Immaculate, I've been busy with RL and setting up SGOTM4. I've come to realise my life currently does not allow time for multiple SGs. It seemed like this game collectively lost attention.

I did enjoy it and thought it was a fun variant. Especially in the beginning with multiple iterations of the same game reporting at the same time was good to compare. Towards the end the game lost focus because the two games grew apart too far. I guess with a few tweaks and rules you could overcome that.

I filled in my self-maligned scoring chart for the final time and the scores matched the "feel" I received from opening the games. Immaculate's save will produce the fastest win of the three choices.

I'm playing Immaculate's save now, going for the win.

To start off, I found a great prophet sleeping in Madrid. I joined him there for an immediate gain of 10 gold/turn and Madrid was to finish Wall St. in 7 turns. I made some minor tweaks to city management but found little to do. Our cities are mostly under the stewardship of the automated governors, maxing food and commerce and I agree that's what we need most now. Almost all our cities were growing and had yet to reach their peak populations.

We discovered Industrialism in 1866. I faced a situation I have never faced before. We ended up with 5 or 6 sources of Aluminum and we could build Battleships but not Destroyers or Transports. I went next with Railroad and Combustion, then Military Tradition, Artillery and Flight.

Even after the last of the Mali cities to expand their borders did so, we were still at only 56% of land area, needing 68%. We would need a lot more land to win by domination. China was stronger than us and already had destroyers. So poor Toku, who was friendly with us and who had helped us in our war against Mansa, now became our opponuent. I wanted to wait longer until we had a few battleships at the front and to protect our fishing nets, but then, I always tend to wait too long to declare. No guts, no glory, so they say. I declared war on Tokugawa in 1876.

The first city to fall would be Satsuma, in 1878. The Japanese cities were surprisingly lightly defended. A nasty surprise was found in the shot above -- Japanese Destroyers. We would lose about half of our mighty wooden Navy before the ships could be upgraded. Osaka fell in 1884.

We lost Awlil on the former Mali continent's Northeast corner. I never saw the transports coming and they unloaded a dozen Japenese units before I could get reinforcements there. Fortunately they razed the city and it wouldn't cost us any land area. Reinforcements arriving from the core cities were able to deal effectively with the Japanese invaders. Like they say, if you don't lose a few cities per game, it's time to move up to the next difficulty level ;).

Kagoshima and Nara fell in 1900. It took a few years to heal wounded troops and to establish a re-supply process from the mainland. The former Mali cities also began producing military units. Togu counterattacked heavily as we landed at Kyoto, his capital. He left his cities defended by cannons to sacrifice infantry against our stack. With the arrival of our new tanks and artillery at the front, Kyoto fell in 1916:

Tokyo 2 turns later:

The last mainland Japanese city, Nagoya fell in 1924. At that point we were at 64% land area and it looked like we could avoid a war with China by capturing the last 2 Japanese island cities. Yokohama fell in 1922. Izumu was next, in 1927:

That left Nagasaki:

When Nagasaki fell, we were at 66% land area. Fighting China was going to be messy. Qin's cities were better defended than Togu and he already had Bombers. We were still 5 turns away from Radio. Despite the almost exclusive pouring of hammers into military training on our 3 core continents, Qin maintained the power lead over us using his one continent. I was certain his Navy was superior to ours based on the number of battleships I could see, and I had not done any reconnaisance of what he had stacked up in his core someplace. That could spell disaster on this map.

Like I said, it would be messy. So I cranked up Culture for two turns until:

Thanks to Immaculate for pulling this idea together. I think the Multi-Threaded Concurent Succession is an improvement over earlier attempts. We've improved on the concurrent sucession genre, if I do say so myself. ;) And thanks to all the participants and lurkers who are still reading this thread. It was fun. I've never succeded like this at Monarch level, and we were playing at Emporer!

I concur with remconius. Let's discuss tweaks. And I'd love to see the Pigswill/remconius/Kanga_Du thread played to the end. Spaceship win? Diplomatic?

Here's the pre-win save for those who enjoy the domination movie as much as I do. MTCSG-01_AD-1934.Civ4SavedGame

Well done and a very interesting read Frankcor. "oops" and "woolen underwear" indeed! hehe...

Frankcor, you are a great story-teller and i enjoy your write-ups every time.

Thanks for great graphs and great play.

I.

phew ~ let me echo ozzie and say :thumbsup:

sorry for my drop-off but RL crashed down on me. Great finish (and report) there Frank, and I 2nd the thanks to Immac for setting up the game!!

Another belated thanks for Immac, and gratz to Frank. Another RL casuality unfortunately.

Hey, pholkhero, it's great to see you here! I'm looking forward to signing up for whatever nightmarish sucession situation you can cook up next.

For the mostpart, I've been sitting out SGs for several weeks now, enjoying single-player games. I'm trying to sort out how to win consistently on Monarch level and doing better. Your Leader Strategies threads on Deviant Minds has actually been helping me out. At least I'm not quitting because the AI's MechInf have started rolling over my longbowmen anymore. But I think I'm ready to start SGing again. Let's fight!

Played up to 1910. Not lost but don't see a way to win so I'm going to retire at this point.

The aforesaid threatened game opens to night (and nary twelve hours hence), w/turns to come tomorrow ~

Top Bottom