Eusebius World Religions - REVIVAL

Eusebius

Warlord
Download Eusebius World Religions - REVIVAL with EXPANSION HERE

Download Eusebius World Religions - REVIVAL HERE
Use this link if you don't like BetterAI or any of the other Expansion changes.

Download SDK patch to make either version work with Warlords 2.13 HERE

Mod makers looking to utilize some of my Python code should read this message.

You are welcome to use any part of this mod in any other mod with attribution.

Eusebius World Religions – REVIVAL!

RELIGIONS
This mod has a total of 18 real-world religions. Each one is distinct in the benefits it gives, the way it is founded and the civics it enables. The way each relgion spreads has been carefully tuned to reflect the way these religions actually function in world history. Logic has been added to the AI so that warlike leaders tend to found and adopt warlike religions (religions that enable more military civics); peaceful leaders tend to found and adopt more peaceful religions. All relevant information about a religion is now on the Religion Pedia screen. Each religion may be individually enabled or disabled in the ini file.

DISEASES
Three diseases have been added. Smallpox, Plague and AIDS. These are founded at randomly when certain techs are discovered and then spread, killing people in a city and/or adding unhealth to a city. They cease having an effect when various technologies are discovered. Smallpox is probably the most strategically interesting. It is better to get it earlier in the game when you have a smaller population; it can be disasterous later (as it was for the real-world Aztecs). There is a fourth disease, Typhus that can kill military units, but this never seems to happen in my test games so it is disabled by default. Diseases are implemented using the religion mechanism in CIV4; they are “pseudo-religions”.

LOOK-AND-FEEL
Units are ethnically diverse and the Regiments mod, combined with Ship Scale is used to give a better appearance in game play. Sevopedia is incorporated, as well as enhanced clock, domestic advisor and foreign advisor. I have worked hard to try and have the Pedia entries be complete and have kept entries for non-English speakers as much as possible, although they are less compete.

SDK
The SDK will run 24 civilizations.

AI_AUTOPLAY
CTL-SHIFT-X brings up a dialog that allows you to enter a number of turns for the AI to play your civ for you. CTL-SHIFT-M tells the AI to move all your units. Use of this excellent mod has allowed me to do far more rigorous testing than was ever possible with my previous mod “Eusebius World Religions”. I have also gotten better at Python and cleaned up existing code quite a bit.

AUTOLOG
The autologger is fully incorporated in this mod. The file is placed in the directory ‘EusebiusWorldReligions-Revival’. Autologger has its own ini file.

CIVICS
Civics have been reorganized and a few new ones have been added. Balancing civics turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. I’m not completely happy with the way things are now, but it is pretty good. One of the enhancements is that the Civics Screen now shows the value the AI is putting on a civic for your particular civilization. The civics categories and individual civics are organized around a ‘Question and Answer’ format, which makes the civic names seem a little odd when they are shown elsewhere (like on a technology pedia screen).

KNOWN ISSUES
The AI seems to rarely or never complete the Forbidden Palace (a wonder based on Versailles) so that Confucianism and Taoism don’t get founded in my test games. I’m not sure why this happens, but there doesn’t seem to be anything preventing it being built.

MAPS
(Compiled Maps Edited To Work Under 24 Civ DLL Only)
 Pantastic 24 Civ Earth Map (Expanded Europe)
 Scytale 12 Civ Euro Map (4-5 Cities without war) (Small) (Amazing Map!)
 RadEarth 52x32 24 Civ Map
 Genghis Kai’s Giant Earth maps. (These are really beautiful!)

WHAT’S NEW IN THIS RELEASE
The REVIVAL! mod represents a quantum leap over its predecessor, ‘Eusebius World Religions’ in terms of code stability and the way religions are spread. Here is a summary of some of the changes not mentioned above.
 Took out JZOC mod for now.
 Disabled Catholicism—two flavors of Christianity seemed sufficient and this resolved some issues relating to some buildings.
 Protestantism is now founded by a Great Prophet.
 Hindu missionaries are now useful.
 Diplomacy consequences for Sunni-Shia relations, for the Papacy and for Worldviews used to invisible. Now they show up on the Foreign Advisor screens.
 Sacraficial Altar has been changed so that it no longer dups courthouse and is no longer unique to Aztecs. It is a special building for MesoAmericanism.
 You no longer get +1 happiness for having a state religion in a city.
 All temples give +1 happiness for state religion
 Cathedrals give +1 happiness in addition to +2 happiness for state religion
 Hinduism is a pseudo-worldview. It can spread where another worldview exists, but worldviews cannot spread where there is Hinduism. (Credit for this goes to conversations with WiegrafFolles and Immacolata, Suppanut)
 New Wonders: I noticed that late in the game there was nothing to do with Great Prophets. Now Protestants can create Azuza Street Revival (Pentacostalism) and the Mormon Founding. Muslims can create Wahabism. Christians can create Second Vatican Council.
 Chichen Itza has been changed back to its original meaning (defense bonus)
 New wonder: Shaolin Monastery: Allows production of a new unit, ‘Shaolin Buddhist Missionary’, a missionary that can defend itself!
 I would like to give a lot of credit to Suppanut for helping me to understand much more about Asian religions. He generated lots of good ideas that would have taken me forever to implement, so I am afraid most of them didn’t happen.

Happy CIVing,
Eusebius
January 11, 2007

Quick Overview of Religion Technologies

Divine Appeasement -------> Ordained Social Order -> Universalism
\
\------> Divine Patronage -> Ordained Government -> Prophet-King

{No religious tech assumes an animism where you are completely at the mercy of spirits with no control over what happens to you.}
Divine Appeasement: Can appease the gods with sacrifices made in temples by priests. Generic ‘pagan’ Temple not associated with any specific religion. Gain access to civic Slavery. This is the perquisite for the other religious technologies; it requires Masonry and Mysticism.
Divine Patronage: God(s) is actually on your side. Gain access to Theocracy civic. (Think: religion supports government.)
Ordained Government: God(s) sponsors your government which works closely with your religious hierarchy. Gain access to civic Organized Religion. (Think: government supports religion.)
Prophet-King: Your political leader speaks God’s word. Gain access to civic Police State. (Think: Government and religion are synonymous.)
Ordained Social Order: God(s) defines the social classes in your culture. Gain access to civic Caste System. First to discover founds Hinduism.
Universalism: God(s) have a plan for working out the salvation/enlightenment of everyone in the world. Gain access to civic Pacifism.

I am implementing three Worldviews which are kind of like religions, but act somewhat differently. They are Hellenism (representing individualistic, Western thought), MesoAmericanism (representing all native American thought) and Confucianism (representing eastern thought). These do not so much represent religious beliefs as basic ways of looking at things. For example, Europeans who came to North and South America had very different views of what it meant to own/use land than did the native peoples who were already here. A given city can only ever possess one worldview; they are mutually exclusive. The worldview makes the spread of different religions to that city either easier or harder. I kind of feel bad for leaving out an African worldview, but it seems to me that theirs is the default value before there is any religion—an animistic valuing of the world where everything is considered to be alive.

Founding Religions
I am dissatisfied with the default Civ IV method of founding a religion based on a technology and then having a great prophet build a shrine. Religions seem to get founded in a lot of ways and this mod reflects that. Ancient religions seem to spring up out of a culture and largely stay within that culture. Two modern examples survive: Hinduism and Shintoism. In this mod, they are founded automatically under certain conditions.
Classical religions generally have a nameable founder and are more likely to spread beyond their home culture (civilization) through missionary activity. In this mod, they require a Great Prophet and a perquisite technology to be founded.
Some religions (including the WorldViews) are founded upon construction of a wonder.

Different Ways for Religions to Spread
 Settlers bring it with them. (Settlers will have religion randomly selected from all those in their city—equal chance of having “no religion” too)
 Brought by conquest—state religion of conqueror spreads to city.
 Brought by peaceful missionary activity--most effective when religion arises out of another religion. Note that not all religions have missionaries!

The Religions are Different
There are three sets of Commerces (coin, beaker, culture) associated with each religion. One is for all cities with the religion; one is for just the holy city; one is for cities with the religion when that religion is your state religion. In Civ IV, these are all the same. In this mod, they are all different. Also, not all religions have each type of religious building (temple, monastery, cathedral, shrine). Check the tables at the end of this document for details for each religion.

When the religion encounters another religion, what happens?
1. Hostility. {Give high bonus to state religion culture}
2. Competition/Coexistence. {default}
3. Religion adapts itself to new religion (Syncretism). {Give high bonus to global culture}

Is the religion ethno-centric? (Is religion exclusively centered in a particular ethnic group?)
If so, we will inhibit its ability to expand beyond one civilization in the game, but give a bonus to the cultural output of its buildings.

The religion food-chain. Many, many religions arise out of other religions and make their initial set of converts out of that successor religion. In this mod, religious buildings of successor religions will sometimes convert to the new religion. The chain looks something like this…

Generic Pagan Temple will convert to most anything

Hinduism -> Jainism
-> Sikhism

Judaism -> Christianity -> Protestantism
-> Islam (may be founded if Judaism or Christianity is present in city)

Shinto -> Tenrikyo

Confucianism -> Taoism

Stand-alones: Zoroastrianism, Cao Dai, Buddhism, Secularism, Bahai

(If you have never heard of some of these religions, remember that the great god, “Google”, knows all.)

NOTE: When a city is conquered, the state religion of the new owner may destroy existing religious buildings. For example, Islam and Judaism tend to take a dim view of polytheistic religions and their idols. If, through conversion and/or conquest, a city ceases to have any buildings of a particular religion, then that religion ceases to have any influence in that city.

Concerning Atheism: This topic has generated a lot of interest in a lot of threads (which still amazes me). I finally settled on a generic ‘Secularism’ which is an amalgam of Marxism, secular humanism and Juche. On the religion food chain, secularism can convert temples back to pagan temples and destroy monasteries.

Concerning NeoPaganism: Most figures give this religion less than the requisite number of a million followers. They also don’t generally have buildings, so I don’t know how well making this “religion” would work out in game terms. I think that the combination of the civics Environmentalism and Freedom of Religion represents this group adequately.

Changes to Existing Buildings
 Obelisk gives an +1 to generate Great Prophet
 Pyramid does what Parthenon used to do.
 Parthenon does what Pyramid used to do. It also founds Hellenism.
 Oracle gives a free great prophet instead of a free technology.
 Chichen Itza allows Environmentalism instead of giving the defensive bonus. It also founds MesoAmericanism.
 Forbidden Palace does what Versailles used to do. It also founds Confucianism.
 East India Company does what Forbidden Palace used to do.

Credits:
My thanks go to all the people contributing to CivFanatics.com. I never would have figured out some of this stuff without the rich resources of the forums and other people’s modes to draw from. Pieces of the following Mods are included in this one…
 Classical Religion by Fenceman
 Settler Religion by Bhruic
 Shinto Mod by Dual
 True Prophets Tom “Kidinnu” Hudson
 Custom Events by DrEJib
 Civics Balancer 2 by Aussie Lurker
 Giant Earth Maps by Genghis Kai and associated XML changes including historically accurate city lists and the creation of Thai civilization.
 ActualQuotes Diplomacy Text By: WillowmoundVersion: 3.0 (Warlords)
 Better Ship Scale Basic By: Elhoim Version: 1.0 Warlords
 Warlords New Flags 2 By: Thorn
 Not Just Another Game Clock Mod By: The Lopez Version: 0.3.3w
 Dawn Of Man Update By: The Lopez Version 0.2
 Ethnically Diverse Units By: Rabbit, White Version: 2.35
 TechWindow By: Roamty Version 1.g
 Exotic Foreign Advisor By: Many Version: Zarah Neander Warlords Version
 SevoPedia By: Sevo,Progor
 Customizable Domestic Advisor By: Taelis, TheLopez
 Real UN Sevo Commerce Display By: Sevo
 Regiment adapted with EDU By: Gedemon
 AIAutoPlay by jdog5000
 AutoLog; I’m not sure of the original author, but I lifted this version from the HOF mod.

Of these, I need to give a special tribute to Kidinnu. This project really started out as a mod of his mod. By this time, there isn’t much of his original code left, but his mechanism of founding religions via buildings is brilliantly flexible and his clean code helped me learn Python. Thanks Kidinnu!

Tribute #2 goes to Ket for his “Unaltered, But Flavorful” Mod. It forms the structural basis for REVIVAL and his work made this a far more beautiful mod. W

Eusebius World Religions – REVIVAL!
The Expansion Pack

This updated REVIVAL release contains several other mods I have been playing with…

 BetterAI mod (the readme doesn’t actually give names for me to give attribution. Maybe it is in the 85(!) pages of forum, but I’m not taking the time to look.

 Zone of Control for Forts by Jeckel (turned off by default)

 Historical Surge mod: I like the idea of the tides of history favoring certain civilizations at certain time. When this mod is enabled, it starts a golden age (20 turns by default) for every civilization that builds its first unique unit (as defined by Firaxis). (turned off by default)

 City-based economics. Sick of a huge empire running off of a single iron mine? No longer. Now each bonus linked into a civilization supplies enough of that bonus/resource for six cities. Each unit imported or exported supplies enough for a single city. I haven’t played with this enough to know how much it alters game play, but it works and it was fun to develop.

 Fixed the bug where AIs rarely built Forbidden Palace, Chichen Itza and Parthenon.

 Had some trouble with Customizable Domestic Advisor, so I replaced it with the similar ModSpecialDomesticAdvisor.

Eusebius,
January 28, 2007

Woot! Can't wait to see the product. Enjoyed the heck out of the original.

It could well be my fault, but I can't get it running, when I load the mod, I'm still playing ordinary Civ:confused: , I would love to get some help, but untill then, I'll keep trying

It could well be my fault, but I can't get it running, when I load the mod, I'm still playing ordinary Civ:confused: , I would love to get some help, but untill then, I'll keep trying

Hmm, are you loading the mod from the ADVANCED main menu? I would be very surprised if that didn't work.

If you are relying on your Civilization4.ini file, I have noticed that sometimes the game puts a MOD=0 line on top, which makes it ignore all further MOD= entries. Confused the heck out of me until I figured it out.

I have never figured out the reason why Civ4 messes with the ini file at various times--that part isn't anything to do with my mod.

Eusebius

Hmm, are you loading the mod from the ADVANCED main menu? I would be very surprised if that didn't work.

If you are relying on your Civilization4.ini file, I have noticed that sometimes the game puts a MOD=0 line on top, which makes it ignore all further MOD= entries. Confused the heck out of me until I figured it out.

I have never figured out the reason why Civ4 messes with the ini file at various times--that part isn't anything to do with my mod.

Eusebius

I figured it out, somehow, while extracting.. my winrar forgot to extract, almost everything. So it was just an fault with winrar. Got it working. And I love it:p :p

And to moonbase , no it's also Warlords 2.08 compatible

@ Eusebius found a couple of not erors but definatly preventors on founding some religions and world views..

Forgotten Palace ..cannot be built if any other religion disease or wolrd view is present ..same with Chicken Izta and Parthenon..Hinduism spreads Very very very fast <two turns after founding it had covered 12 cities in south america and moved into north america it moves into each new city as its founded within one to two turns <made it impossible for me to build the aforementioned buildings>

So im thinking slow down the non missionary religion spread factor...and mabey just mabey the AI or anyone ele will get a chance to build one of the start wonders.. I can start one with a great prophet easy enough..and theres plenty of great prophet spawning going on. Game play is fun so far not sure about when i get multiple religions going or even if i can..

If I may ask an elementary question, how do I run it? I put the .rar into the warlords/mods folder and then the warlords/custom_mods folder, but I didn't see it.
Thanks.

Put .rar into the Warlords/Mods. Right click and say "extract here"; it will create a directory "EusebiusWorldReligion-Revival". Load the mod from there.

Eusebius

Forgotten Palace ..cannot be built if any other religion disease or wolrd view is present ..same with Chicken Izta and Parthenon..Hinduism spreads Very very very fast <two turns after founding it had covered 12 cities in south america and moved into north america it moves into each new city as its founded within one to two turns <made it impossible for me to build the aforementioned buildings>

Interesting feeback. It is intentional that you can't build the founding wonder for a worldview if you have a worldview (Confucianism, MesoAmericanism, Hellenism or Hinduism) already present. That would violate the one worldview per city concept.

I'm intrigued that you got Hinduism after having 12(!) cities. It is usually founded early in the game. I did increase the spread rates because I got sick of founding a religion and not seeing it spread. Hinduism shouldn't spread past its founding civ except through missionaries or when you adopt Free Religion later in the game.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Eusebius

it hadnt been built other religions were founded elsewhere ..mesoamericanism had been founded <in russia i found later> and that was the world view for all of eurasia and africa when i got there im assumign it spread as fast as Hinduism did for me <preventing any other world view on that continent set > oh as to hinduism spreadign beyond my borders well there was soem contention as to who should own panama incas or aztecs ...;o) i took it from them hinduism spread they took it back hinduism spread i took it back and secured it ..by then they were stuck with hinduism

eheh well whip settler at size 7 build archer ..build archer ..city is size 7 again whip settler rinse repeat

KNOWN ISSUES
The AI seems to rarely or never complete the Forbidden Palace (a wonder based on Versailles) so that Confucianism and Taoism don’t get founded in my test games. I’m not sure why this happens, but there doesn’t seem to be anything preventing it being built.
As far as I am aware then the AI will never (on it's own accord) build any structure that will spread a religion the AI doesn't have in at least one of it's cities already ... regardless of whatever heaps of other benefits you bestow on such structures.

My suggestion is removing all religous factors from the Worldview founding structures and assigning the foundings manually using the onBuildingBuilt event.

Or ... rewrite the AI code to give it/them some sense ;) :D

As far as I am aware then the AI will never (on it's own accord) build any structure that will spread a religion the AI doesn't have in at least one of it's cities already ... regardless of whatever heaps of other benefits you bestow on such structures.

My suggestion is removing all religous factors from the Worldview founding structures and assigning the foundings manually using the onBuildingBuilt event.

Or ... rewrite the AI code to give it/them some sense ;) :D

Ive seen the AI build the Chicken Itza thou in this mod and it spreads a world view..

Ok, but before I removed the spread factor I never saw the AI build any of the worldview structures myself. However, since I removed the spread the AI have been building them first chance they get.

It could be that only the AIs who cares strongly about religions are unwilling to build them (with the 'heretic' spread factor on) - and those who doesn't care too much about religions doesn't mind building them(even with the spread factor on).

Top Bottom