FTS-03 King of Prussia

Conroe

√∞
Fun-Time-Freddie says he's ready! For what? To unify and expand Prussia, of course. Friedrich der Grosse may have been an enlightened monarch who aspired to be a Philosopher King, but he fought numerous wars ... mostly against Austria. There are those that believe the talents of Friedrich (Phi/Cre) are best suited for a cultural win. :shake: Well, this day ... this game ... Friedrich shall lead us to a military victory!

Game Settings
  • Version: 1.61 (vanilla)
  • Leader: Frederick
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • MapType: Shuffle (Random)
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Normal
  • Victory Condition: Conquest or Domination (All Enabled)
  • Opponents: 6 AI
  • Barbarians: Yes
  • Other Options: TBD

Start of Game

So, who will join us in Friedrich's War of Succession?

Roster:
Conroe
shyuhe
Ozbenno
Sweetacshon
yena

ooo, philosophical! I love philosophical (probably next favorite after spiritual). Count me in! Although I have to admit, I have a vendetta against Frederick from the minor gauntlet... stupid creative bonuses...

Hmmmm .... May have to cancel this one due to lack of interest. :sad: I will leave it open for another day or two to see if anyone else is interested.

Unfortunately, I don't have Warlords. :sad: And it's starting to look like I'm the only one that doesn't have it ...

I've almost stopped playing vanilla, but if you need another, I'm in, Conroe.

Alright, it looks like we've got 4 players now, including a fellow Piffle! :) I prefer to have 5 players on an SG team, but it is doable with only 4. I am going to go ahead and roll a start for us to discuss.

It looks like we drew an archipelago map. :hmm: This could be a tough map for an Emperor AI ...

• Standard SG rules of etiquette apply ...
  • 24 hours Got It / 48 hours Post - Report
  • 15 turns each until 500AD then 10 turns thereafter

I'll play the first 15 after some discussion of our starting strategy ...

Attachments

• FTS-03 BC-4000.Civ4SavedGame
    68.7 KB · Views: 77
I just registered in order to say that I will play, if you want me. I've not been active on the forum, but I have played Civ a lot (deity on Civ3, monarch on Civ4) and followed many succession game threads. Emperor Archipelago sounds quite doable to me.

I just registered in order to say that I will play, if you want me.
Welcome to CFC, yena! :band:

I have no problem accepting new SG players into the game. The only thing that I ask is that you understand the time commitment involved in playing an SG. It will take a minimum of 6 weeks to complete the game if we turn the saves around quickly. Most games, though, will take 2 to 3 months to complete. If you are comfortable with making that commitment, then welcome aboard!

Archipelago map probably is all right as AI useless as naval warfare. As long as we aren't stacked against the accountants again :lol:

Animal Husbandry seems a good start for research followed by Bronze Working (for whipping in a food rich environment) and Fishing (if we don't have).
No, I didn't stack the deck against us, this time. :lol:

Our starting techs are Hunting and Mining. I'm torn between AH or Fishing as our first tech, though. :undecide: With that cow being on a plains tile, it will only be 3 food after the pasture is put in. But, it will provide some early hammers, as well. The crab will be 4 food without having a Lighthouse.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards Fishing first. IIRC a Workboat requires a lot less hammers than a Worker.

What's a Piffle :confused:
It is a reference to the Multi-Team Demo Game (MTDG). Both sweet and I are on Team Piffle. Basically it is a PBEM game; but instead of 5 players, there are 5 teams of players. Each team designates a person to play the save based upon the input and decisions of the team members.

Welcome to CFC, yena!
Most games, though, will take 2 to 3 months to complete. If you are comfortable with making that commitment, then welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome. I'll play and I understand the time commitments. It's not like I'm not already wasting too much time on this game ;)

Early fishing and a couple of fishing boats sounds good. One fishing boat should explore to see if there are any neighbours around.

I went ahead and played my 15 turns. It has been a while since I've played archipelago, and I'd forgotten how downright uneventful the first few turns can be on this type of map. :lol:

Basically, I set research to Fishing followed by Bronze Working. We have 6 turns remaining on BW. I ended up settling on the spot after thinking about it for awhile. Completed a Warrior and we are 3 turns from having a Workboat (2 with some MM).

Our Scout has explored our starting island ...

There is a plains hill south of Berlin that will pick up the gold and the wheat (plus that little 3F inland sea). Unfortunately, that city site misses both of those fish. :sad: With those 2 fish and all of those hills, we might could get some good production cities going ... but, then we lose the ability for a citizen to work the gold mine. :gripe:

A little easier up north. We can plop a city down between the crab and the wheat and whip just about anything we might need.

Here is all the exciting turn-by-turn gory details:
Spoiler Turn Log :
Turn 0 (4000 BC)
I start off by moving our Scout to the SW, only to discover that a gold mine will be just outside the capital's fat cross. :sad: I'm tempted to move our Settler. But, grabbing the gold means giving up the crab. So, I decide to stick with plan A and settle on the spot.
Berlin founded
Berlin begins: Warrior

Research begun: Fishing

Turn 2 (3920 BC)
Berlin's borders expand
The border expansion reveals a goody hut north of our city.

Turn 6 (3760 BC)
Tech learned: Fishing and Research begun: Bronze Working

Turn 7 (3720 BC)
Buddhism founded in a distant land

Turn 8 (3680 BC)
Berlin equips: Warrior and begins: Work Boat

Meanwhile, our Scout finally makes it up to that Goody Hut.
Tribal village results: map
Cash would have been nice. :sad: Especially on an Archipelago map.

Turn 12 (3520 BC)
:hmm: May have a bit of excitement, yet. Our Scout just found a Wolf.
While defending, Scout defeats (0.87/1): Barbarian Wolf at 99.3 percent.

Attachments

• FTS-03 BC-3400.Civ4SavedGame
    84.7 KB · Views: 101
Roster Check
Conroe - Just Played
shyuhe - UP
Ozbenno - On Deck
Sweetacshon
yena

24 hours Got It / 48 hours Post - Report
15 turns each until 500AD then 10 turns thereafter

I started a test game with similar parameters and found that I had no problems keeping up in the tech race using a SE approach. Wonders were of course much harder to get - no surprises there. However, I found that the real limiting factor was happy and health. We need workers and fishing boats to connect our resources to the cities as soon as possible. I also think we need to check the island to the south; maybe there are resources/trading partners in the fog?

Got it. I'm a little busy today so I'll probably play it tomorrow.

We have one happy now and one more with monarchy... so 5/4 happy caps? I guess we'll be whipping a lot then. The SE fish might be workable if we plop a city on the one tile island there. Maybe we can send a boat around it at some point to see if we can see land or not? We might luck out with a chain of islands that we can hop down.

Also, I'm assuming SE at least initially? The gold mine alone can probably bring in enough gold to sustain our economy for 3-4 cities at least.

ok, I lied. 15 turns on an archipelago map takes about 10 minutes at this point of the game. So I played it. My turn set was less exciting than Conroe's. Bronze working is done, Animals can be pastured next turn (worker will be done the same turn). A workboat is in queue for 5 turns after that (I had nothing else to build since our workers are still idiots). Maybe send it around the SE island to see how isolated we are? Hinduism was also founded at the start of my turn set.

The turn-by-turn is... unexciting:
Spoiler :

turn 0 (3400 BC)
Hinduism has been founded in a distant land!

Looking at the log - 3720 for Buddhism = Isabella?

turn 4 (3240 BC)
You have discovered Bronze Working!

But I love trees! Don't chop them down!

turn 9 (3040 BC)
The borders of Berlin have expanded! woo hoo! :king: We can mine the gold after pasturing the cows now so creative helps here :)

Will this deserted island hold the key to future growth?
View attachment 146752

View attachment 146753

Top Bottom