Conquest of the World

Me too.

And you still have Hoplites around the industrial age?! Lol, can you imagine a enemy storming against you with tanks and fiding Hoplites? :spear:

Part Twenty-Nine: Surprise Landings

1926 AD - We'll pick up right were we left off - by Teotihuacan!

Since we already have Battlefield Medicine, there is no rush to take a city. Thus the attack will begin with bombardment.

The bombardment goes relatively well.

Spying opportunity, we move seven Infantry to the tile one square northwest of Teotihuacan. Now the reinforcements will have to take a mountain to reach us this turn!

Back on the main Middle Eastern battlefield, we have quite a bit of troops to target this turn.

Our lads handle the job well though, with only one Cavalry being lost.

In case ye'd forgotten (I did myself), we were preparing an attack on the Persian city of Bengal in the Gobi desert last turn. Four Artillery, a Marine, three Infantry and a Guerilla are poised for the attack.

The artillery hit with decent precision, and the Marines then lead the charge. They take heavy losses, as expected, but defeat the first round of defenders. Our Elite Guerillas then take the offensive. They do quite well and secure the city for us. Persia is now down one city in the war!

Down near Madagascar, one of my Cruisers has caught a small armada of Persia's.

Yes, that's one of my galleys down there. It's been sitting there watching ships for centuries.

My Cruiser targets the weaker Ironclad and is damaged only by the bombarding from a Frigate. Deciding to change steel manufacturers, I move on to the next task of killing a marauding Cavalry near Dacca (island of Java) with a Medieval Infantry, which goes fairly well. For now there are no further enemies to target.

1927 AD - Japan and Persia make peace. The city the Persian Infantry were near in the most recent screenshot was Japanese. Hence why Japan wanted peace.

The Persians kill one more troop of mine than they lose in the Middle East in between turns. But they also expose more troops to counterattack in 1928.

Off the coast of Central America, the Aztecs are watchful where I was not and realize I forgot to send my (now empty) Transports to the cover of my Cruisers. I sink a frigate with one, but lose another. On the plus side, the Aztecs did expose at least three ships to attack next turn when they chased my Transports.

Not too long afterwards, the Celtic Cavalry blitz my troops in Hamburg and destroy both the Conscript Infantry defending the town. The strongest garrison remaining is a band of Veteran Hoplites.

In more diplomatic fare, my two allies the Ottomans and Americans have made peace. That's probably a good thing. Another news bit comes when the Babylonians and Romans make peace. Seeing as the Celts are far more powerful than either of these combatants, and I do believe at war with both, I'll take this as good news as well.

1928 AD - The first order of business this turn is to destroy the Aztec ships that threatened and/or attacked our transports! As the first Cruiser heads out to destroy the Aztec ships, it quite by accident encounters another, Elite no less.

Deciding the Frigate needn't be destroyed this turn, we attack both ironclads. The Elite one redlines our Cruiser, and the other does no damage at all. The redlined one is sent back towards New Guinea whilst the other guards the transports as I intended for it to do before.

The Aztecs didn't attack us the turn before, and we work to ensure it stays that way by continuing our artillery shelling, now cutting off the northerly attack route for sure. We also destroy an Aztec source of Gems. Our troops that have ventured north rejoin the main force.

"I can confirm sir, they're Greek transport ships," phoned the sergeant to the general in Rome. He had been sent out to check by his commander, who had been skeptical of the initial report by a GI.

"Very well, then. Start moving troops towards the coast, and inform me of any movements by the Greeks towards the city." He hoped they were passing through the Red Sea to target the Celts, having heard of the effectiveness of the new Greek Marines. Without even rifles, he knew Rome wouldn't stand much of a chance against them.

But half an hour later, he found himself making a call to the Senate to advise them to immediately convene for an emergency session on how best to defend the city. There was no doubt the Greeks were headed for Rome.

The Roman treasury already empty, the Senators decided to call on tradition to rally the troops. They orate the tales of how Rome triumphed when faced with invasions from India that neared Rome itself centuries ago. They spoke on Rome's glory days in the sixteenth century and their triumphs against their ancient nemesis, India glossing over the fact that they were then allied with Greece. They speak, too, of Roman cultural achievements, such as the Masoleum of Mausollos in Rome itself.

The troops responded, and fought their hardest. The first band of Elite Greek Marines were defeated, and three of the next four were reduced to half their numbers. But not only did the Greeks have better weaponry, they also had greater numbers. At the end of the day the Greek Marines were securing the city and preparations were being made for the Roman Senate to begin a new session in the city of Antium on the White Nile.

Back in the Middle East, a 4-of-5 hitpoint Greek Infantry suffers an embarrassing loss on the offensive to an already redlined Celtic Cavalry. But making up for the Infantry's ineptitude is an Elite Cavalry, which not only defeats the Celtic Cavalry but creates a Great Leader!

Ajax heads to Troy and creates an army. We still have an empty army lead by Hector that we had planned to fill with Tanks. But seeing as we could use one now, we direct three new Marines to join Hector's army. We also begin contruction of the Pentagon in the Indian subcontinent city of Eretria.

Although we'd be more than willing to go storming into Persian territory with our new army and attacking cities Rambo-style, we realize the first priority is getting them out of our territory. So we sent a bunch of guys to Hamburg.

We destroy all except the two Infantry directly north of Hamburg without taking any losses. Four artillery played no small part in that. Hector targeted the Cavalry, assuring we wouldn't have yet more Celtic Cavalry escape to fight another day.

But just as everything's going fine and dandy in Africa, Asia, and America, the coffee isn't tasting so great on Java. A Marine we had just trained failed to defeat the last Persian Cavalry, which is on top of the last source of Gems we aren't exporting. We still have an Infantry, so why not risk sending him out to attack? Well, the Zulu just had to land an IMPI on the island last turn.

So my two choices are guard the city and lose the gems, or attack the cavalry and lose the city but keep the gems from being pillaged The Impi just :spear:'ed us without even fighting a battle!!! :lol: :cry:

Or so I thought. Remembering the diplomatic element to Civ, I call on my top negotiators, and my jewelers all breathe a huge sigh of relief when the Zulu agree to peace. Whew!

Then my Infantry loses to the Cavalry anyways! D'oh!

1929 AD - The Persians, sure enough, take Dacca. We shan't let that last for long!

They also take the Babylonian city of Frankfurt on Madagascar. Right afterwards Babylon lands troops to try to take it back. I think that city has the title for most rulers. I think it's gone Germany->India->Zululand->Egypt->Babylon->Persia. My galley will keep you informed of any future owners.

Rome, meanwhile, finds a foe to replace Babylon in Zululand, against whom they align with Spain. Maybe they're thinking Zululand would be a good place to hide from the rest of the Greek Marines?

Up in the Gobi, we witness the Mongols send two Spearmen east through our territory and another they sent into China be destroyed by Chinese Longbowmen. No wonder they're having difficulties. China might be the most backwards civilization, but they can stand up to Spearmen. If I weren't familiar with diplomacy I'd have sent him a letter telling him Spearmen might have been excellent troops in 1929 B.C., but just aren't what your top choice should be in 1929 A.D. Instead, we send our condolences and hope they realize the Bronze Age ended awhile back!

Last edited:
I am a bit ashamed to admit it, but I was rooting for Rome in that battle...:blush:

I am a softy for the Romans, and when you talked about their history, I just started to melt.

I am a bit ashamed to admit it, but I was rooting for Rome in that battle...:blush:

I am a softy for the Romans, and when you talked about their history, I just started to melt.

Hey, I'll take that. I'll take it as a good sign that I can create sympathy for the antagonist in a story. Especially with their CivIII rather than real history!

Haven't played CivIII for several days after buying Halo and playing inane amounts of that ever since. I'll get back to Civ fairly soon, though - if I keep playing Halo I'll be thinking of the Flood while I sleep before long, and I don't really want that!

Halo has wasted many, many weeks of my life. I realized I hit a low when I could beat it on easy in about 2 hours, playing straight through. Would've been faster if the damned Library was not so long...

$%^@ing Halo not working on my PC. (I don't have or want an XBox. Also, I don't have an HDTV, so XBox 360 is out of the question.)

$%^@ing Halo 2 being Vista-only. WORK THE KINKS OUT, THEN RELEASE IT FOR VISTA!

*waits for my family winning the lottery*

wii is the champion!

your scenario is very addicting. I decided to play as the crappy americans, starting in the old world. I now own almost all of north america (except the arctic lands), all of central america except a celtic city on hispanoala, the entire north coast of south america, a city in indonesia, a city in madagascar, south africa, and all of greenland. As AMERICA. without corruption, anything is possible

They also take the Babylonian city of Frankfurt on Madagascar. Right afterwards Babylon lands troops to try to take it back. I think that city has the title for most rulers. I think it's gone Germany->India->Zululand->Egypt->Babylon->Persia. My galley will keep you informed of any future owners.

Those poor people living there must be sooooo confused.;)

Top Bottom