Conquest of the World

Remind's me of Basketcase's first Deity game, Akkad was Babylonian -Zulu-Persian-Destroyed by the Babylonians. Oh the irony.

That was the story that inspired me to write this. Great story.

I played a bit more last night, but was tired and forgot to save the game. The I started a new game today so I lost the autosave. D'oh! :crazyeye: Fortunately it was only one turn, and I have the Notepad file of events, so it won't take long to go through that turn again and rewrite any events that change.

And thanks to Theryman, I now have a photo-capture program that lets me take pictures of battles as they unfold. So we may now be seeing actual combat photos!

edit: Now I'm having Vista compatibility problems :(. Even in Windows 2000 mode. I've got several hits in Search for the Fault Module Name, though, so hopefully it'll lend a solution.

edit two: Nope, can't get it to work in Vista. :cry: Well, I've got a few plans to get it to work eventually on my fast new computer. For now I'll be playing on my old XP machine again. And yeah, one of the plans is to get XP for my new computer.

So yes, I am recommending to anyone looking for a new Windows computer to get XP instead of Vista if at all possible. Civ3 just doesn't seem to get along with the newer OS.

I'm not frusterated with the technical difficulties anymore, though. They're nothing a bit of chocolate can't cure!

Maybe you should put the citizens of Frankfurt out of their confused misery. :mischief:

[Rant on Halo]

I second Theryman that it's TOO EASY. So is Halo 2, although multiplayer is cool. Also, I agree that the Library is too long and it SUCKS. How many times have you wanted to blast 343 Guilty Spark's MF'ing circuits out?

I would hope for better in Halo 3, but I can't afford an Xbox 360.

When will they make a game console that is not obsenely expensive?

[/End of Rant]

Oh, and down with the evil Aztecs and Persians!

First I just want to say it's a great story, and I've read every update. I tried downloading your saved game, but, as expected, it didn't work.:( Oh well...

Also...
Upgrade your Hoplites!!! You may believe in the :spear:, but in reality, they do no good against cavalry. And I think that you should protect your home-island a little better.

Tip\idea: Forget the Romans; let them live. It's the Celts who are your real enemy.

@RegentMan: Aye, light green. :nuke:

@choxorn: No! Let Frankfurt be the international city of war! :mwaha: :assimilate: :trouble:

The saved game didn't work? Is this the scenario (Earth_31_Civs_No_Corruption.biq), or the saves I posted around page 14? It wouldn't be the first time the scenario hasn't worked for someone, so I can try reposting that if that's what you're trying to download.

You're right, it's time to upgrade some Hoplites. It's not a huge liability in southeast Asia, as I can get Infantry there instantly, but the home island a a couple other islands are really weakly defended. Dacca in part 29 showed the trouble with Hoplite defenses, although at least my other cities have barracks so I can instantly upgrade. Expect to see Hoplite numbers continue their slow decline.

But I like to fight Rome! True, though, the Celts (and Persians) are my main enemies. Continuing against Rome isn't as valuable now (Rome was the only city with a Wonder), and for the most part is more dangerous (not all cities are coastside). Taking Rome gave Greece a morale boost as much as anything. But I'll have to check with my foreign advisor to see if peace is possible.

Frankfurt almost was captured by Babylon in the next section, but Persia got lucky in defense. We know Persia won't be the last civ to control the city, though - so long as it isn't razed, at least.

Another section is coming soon. I've got a partial turn left to play, then a bit of reviewing the section. IIRC, the Hoplite number stays exactly the same during the next section.

Madagascar sure saw a lot of war in this game, even though it's a small island with 0 strategic value. :lol:

@Tasslehoff: Yeah, but so do Panzers. Qu can keep like two Hoplites and place them in a 'national history museum' or something.

@Quintillus: It's your saved games; some error that comes up when loading in civ. I also have a problem loading a game from anothor comp, but won't fly. I don't know that much about save game errors, but yours is with DataIO, or something. But it's okay, I made my own! :D

Did I say have peace with Rome? oops! I ment 'protect that which is yours'. :D ;)

Little bump\knock\ of topic\ thing: How many people that read this thread have played, and realized how much the Star Trek mod needs updating? (just had to say this 'caus I'm playing it now.:D )

For all the Halo 1 players out there:

Have you ever had a Killtacular in multiplayer?

Let's just say I have mad skills at Halo. (I play it at a video game place.)

My brother got to "Running Riot" by sitting in a scorpion tank the entire time... (It was only 2 players, and a 15 kill limit)

Quintillus, this has been a most enjoyable read. I like the way you go from the first person of what you are thinking and how you are responding and then switch to the third person and tell the story from a grunt's veiwpoint.

I haven't yet been able to get into the 'Game Novelization' idea. You know, the kind that begin like:

Head Chief Kikumbut surveyed the land, looking for a place to call home. The many years of wandering had taken their toll on his hardy people and they were close to despair and depression. This land felt good. In the distance he saw a large river that lead off to a rather distant coastline. Up close he could see forests and grapes, which could be fermented to keep the chill away in the long winters night. In the plains to the east he saw some horses, which his people loved to ride and train and fight on.

<Yes>, thought the chief, <this place will do.>

'Mighty warriors and worthy wives of the Houchy-Couchy people,' cried Kikumbut. 'We have found our resting place. We shall settle here and call this area "Broken Ankle"!'

Great was the rejoicing of the people.

I much prefer your style of 'Here's what I want to do and these are the highlights as I see them.' Easier to read and much more entertaining than a greatly detailed turn log.

Keep up the good work. I haven't played on an Earth map yet, much less on with 31 civs and solo to boot.

Well, with 21 civs left in my game, in the 1800s, just the computer takes a good 10 minutes. And then my things, without micromanaging takes a LONG time. and then writing it all itno a story...

First of all, don't overreact. The Greeks will still conquer the world. Or maybe be conquered - can't guarantee that won't happen.

Bad news on the future of the story. I can't get CivIII to install in Vista, at least without re-installing Vista. I tried a virtual machine, too, running Windows 98, but got the freeze-at-splashscreen error described here. The FAQ says it's caused by copy protection, maybe my Vista problems are actually because I installed Civ on another machine first?

So the plan for the future is, one, email Infogrames/Firaxis/Atari/TakeTwo and ask if they have any ideas (will have to check which company first!). And if that doesn't work, the only option left is to get XP and install it. Which, as it's not exactly inexpensive software, could take a bit of time.

The reason I can't just keep playing on my old XP computer is that I'm leaving for college in five days. I won't have access to that computer again until December.

So, other than that email, I've decided to quit trying to fix the Vista problems. There'll be a few updates over the next five days, and after that, who knows, but hopefully they'll continue!

:(

Try 2K: I read some of the threads on tech support a while ago (to try to find a solution to the "Please Insert CD" Bug that keeps me from Patching), and other guys said that emailing Atari will just get them to email you back saying there's nothing they can do, and to email 2K.

And if that doesn't work, the only option left is to get XP and install it. Which, as it's not exactly inexpensive software, could take a bit of time.
Depends on the institution you attend. Some universities have a site-license agreement with Microsoft and you could purchase Win XP for next to nothing. The college bookstore could tell you more.

But,

:old:

your studies are more important than your game.

(Yeah, you'll need time to relax and such. Just don't let the good get in the way of the best.)

^True, I'm not sure how much free time I'll have, anyways. Good thing I never said the story would be finished by any certain time!

Just a few minutes till an update...

I probably ought to mention that I know there's no World Map in the next update. I'm right at the 20-image limit with only pictures, so I'll post a World Map seperately after the post, possibly with other demographics as well.

Part Thirty: The Enemy of Your Enemy is Your Enemy

1930 AD - The loss of Dacca didn't hurt as much as I'd expected on the happiness front. 75% of the populace still approves of my reign, and only one city went into civil disorder over the lost gems. What does sting, however, is that it was Persia that took the city. But Greece won't let such an insult stand for long.

Simply divert a few Infantry from the Australia-Asia route and suddenly the Persian troops there find themselves in a very poor position!

In the Middle East, once again the main Greek goal is to defeat the Persian forces on Greek soil. After the artillery bombardments the situation looks as follow. The Persians don't exactly have anywhere to run.

Greece's Marines surge through the Infantry on the mountains, but a brigade is lost to the infantry on the open flood plains. What matters is that the task is completed, so that if all goes well an offensive can be mounted soon.

Look what our Cruiser found by Hawaii:

Pirates! While we could easily crush these pirates, as our spies tell us they are not Aztec, we figure we might as well let them sail around Aztec Hawaii for awhile.

Our landing party in Aztec territory continues to take potshots at the surrounding countryside. This time it damaged transportation on the mountains south of Teotihuacan. We also engage an Ironclad sailing near the city. The Ironclad fights well, but loses to our Cruiser. But now it's really time to retreat - even a modern Cruiser can destroy only so many Ironclads, Frigates, and Galleons before it needs repairs.

Off the east coast of Africa, two other Greek Destroyers sink a Persian Ironclad and Galleon. Though still a small force, our 6 cruisers are doing a good job of showing the world who's navy is boss!

Oh, and remember those Mongol Spearmen? Well, I got a Spy in Karakorum, and there's lots of them! Mongolia's army has 20 Infantry, 18 Spearmen, 15 Riflemen, 9 Crusaders, 4 Cavalry, and 3 Keshiks, with small numbers of other units. If it weren't for my 35 Hoplites, I'd say that's not keeping with the times!

1931 AD - We are witness to a naval battle between a Persian Frigate and a Babylonian Caravel. Babylon wins. Meanwhile, the pirates by Hawaii make a smart move and don't attack my Cruiser.

In territorial news, the Portuguese have taken the city of Odense from the Aztecs to unify their island. I'm guessing it was a cultural conversion given that Portugal had one pikeman a few turns ago.

The Incans signed an alliance with Persia against America this turn. I doubt that'll result in much of a change in the war given the Ottomans and Aztecs between them. We also gain an ally, however.

That's thanks to an alliance between Rome and Spain. One more nation fighting Persia, one step closer to victory. Never mind that we're at war with our new ally.

Unfortunately, we lose an ally in the New World.

I'm kind of surprised. I thought America would fight on until they claimed their prize of J.S. Bach's Cathedral - they're closer now than ever.

1932 AD - We consider carefully considered the deal Lincoln offered us.

It is of course a steal for getting Lincoln back into the Aztec war. But a Mutual Protection Pact with this many wars going on carries much higher risk than a simple alliance. By our tabulations, we stand to gain an ally against the Aztecs, Celts, and Hittites from this pact, while Lincoln stands to gain an ally against the Zulu, Russians, English, and Inca. The Inca we can cancel our deals with any time, as with the English, though the latter are paying us a decent amount of gold. The Russians we have a three turn deal with, which we feel is no danger. The Zulu, on the other hand, we have an 18-turn peace treaty deal with. Planting a spy in Zimbabwe, we learn that the Zulu have only one Galley as their navy. Fairly sure America's navy isn't too strong, either, we agree to the deal. It won't be long before the Aztecs are fighting America again. And while we're at it, we formalize an embargo against Persia and increase the amount of gold America is paying us for Silks by 50%, to 36 gold per turn. Altogether an excellent negotiating session.

With our negotiating for the turn settled, it's off to the battlefield. The first goal is to retake Dacca.

The city falls easily. I will leave two Infantry on the island and have a sailing ship come by to take the rest to the mainland.

We chance upon a Persian Galleon out in the open in the Indian Ocean.

It is defeated with little trouble, and our Destroyer continues towards harbor and repairs. En route, it can't help noticing the downright wealth of Frigates in the area:

But the real target of the move against Persia is the city of Hyderabad on the southeast shore of the Caspian Sea. Thanks in part to seven Infantry and Pyrrhus arriving via ship from Australia, we are able to move a massive force of 9 Infantry, 4 Artillery, 2 Artillery, a Marine, Pyrrhus's Medieval Infantry Army, and a Hoplite right next to the city.

We're pretty confident about our ability to take this city next turn.

This turn our big target is Teotihuacan. The Aztecs can't expect us to complacently sit outside the city forever!

The key was the Aztecs drafting the city down to size 6. The AI doesn't seem to understand that the 50% defense bonus is worth a lot more than one more conscript in a well-defended city.

Artillery bombardment isn't especially successful, but we don't care too much. The attack will commence!

The first Infantry faces the toughest challenge, of course. A Guerilla unit aids the defending Infantry, but progress is made:

Ultimately our troops redline the defenders but fall. Another unit charges in, this time against Regulars.

It gets owned.

It takes two more Infantry to reduce the now-promoted Aztec unit to two hitpoints. The unit after that, however, gives us our first victory of the assault. The only Elite Greek unit then attacks, the result being the first Elite Aztec unit. That wasn't what we intended - oh well.

Another Infantry falls, but reduces the defenders enough that Guerillas are now the frontline Aztec troops. They are redlined by my next attack, but survive. However, the tide has turned. The next three Greek attacks succeed, and Teotihuacan is taken! The final losses are seven Greek Infantry, three Aztec Infantry, and an Aztec Guerilla. Not too bad for an Infantry assault on a city on a hill.

Heeding our spies' warnings of the Aztecs having fairly high numbers of Cavalry, we move two more Infantry into the city, but leave most outside. There's a pretty high flip chance right now.

1933 AD - The Byzantines and Vikings signed a peace accord this year. It's great news for the Scandinavians, who had all their non-core cities taken by the Byzantines. It also allows for the Byzantines to focus more against Persia - good news for me!

We also make a peace deal this turn, with the Hittites. They realized the implications of my pact with America, and suddenly giving up 15 gold and their World Map wasn't a high price at all.

Rather than reinforcing Hyderabad, Persia sends large numbers of troops west from the area in an apparent evacuation. We won't complain.

Yay!

The Celts attack the city of Rome, but don't fare well. Rome also attacks, but neither nation can take out a Marine. Long live Greece!

Rats. I didn't think that would happen that quickly. Oh well. Costs us a bit of gold, but I don't think it smokes my reputation. And Greece will still live a long time!

1934 AD - We complete our first Bomber!

Now we must decide which front to put it on...

It's time for the attack on Hyderabad! Pyrrhus leads the attack.

No more Pyrrhus. Guess Medieval Infantry just aren't top-of-the-line anymore. So we go to what is state-of-the-art and attack with a Marine. It also loses. So we call in an Elite Infantry. Predictable result. It loses. We really need some better offensive weapons.

The next unit to attack is the Cavalry of Ajax. Another loss. Then an Infantry gives us a victory. Yay! Short-lived success. The next three lose, and it looks like Persia got a Great Leader on their third victory of that set. Finally we start to turn the tide and win the next two battles. Only one Persian unit remains...

Sure enough, Persia did have a great leader. But they cannot defend him against our overwhelming numbers, and we take the city. Final casualty count: 5 Greek Infantry, one Greek Marine, one Greek Cavalry, and one Greek Army composing three Medieval Infantry, for a total of ten Greek units. Persia loses three Infantry and a Cavalry. Our Infantry numbers are down big the past two turns, but world conquest does not comes without sacrifice.

The rest of the turn is mopping up, which, other than losing a Marine to a Pikeman, goes well. We set up another attack for our next turn, and let the other Civs take theirs.

The biggest changes not involving Greece in the past few years have been in the New World. America has established herself as a legitimate power, if not the most advanced, and now trails only Greece in land area. In South America, the Hittites are making a bit at becoming the regional power, having taken two cities from Japan, who has become noticeably weaker.

Despite the high casualties, we're now making steady progress towards world domination! And our rate of conquest will only get quicker...

Last edited:
Just in from the Empire's cartographers, census-takers, economists, statisticians, and historians is the latest news on how Greece stacks up with the World! First off is a map to orient us in the current worldwide scene:

Greece now has a presence is four continents - note the green in Somalia and Mexico.

Next comes a look at the Demographics:

And the Victory Conditions:

Given these figures, the estimated world population is 124,722,727. Although I don't have a figure to compare that to at the moment, I know for sure the world population isn't growing very quickly - if at all.

The Power graph looks as follows:

And Greece finishes off an already strong showing with a great positon on the score ladder:

And thus concludes the 1934 Demographic Report. May future revisions include even more glory for Greece!

Last edited:
Top Bottom