Civ4 on the intel x3100

noxxle

Chieftain
Anybody else playing this game on the x3100? If so, what kind of frame rate are you getting? I get between 25 fps (zoomed all the way in) and 12 fps (zoomed all the way out, before the clouds obscure the landscape). Any suggestions for improving frame rate?

its really rough playing 3d games on integrated graphics card chipsets. I wish that notebooks had more bang for the buck in graphics cards, and usually integrated intel cards are not up to par (no offense to you brotha)

in my family, we use our laptop for mainly non-3d apps and games and for schoolwork. what sucks the most is that a laptop with a bangin graphics card a phenomenally expensive :( and thats not cool at all

What you say is hardly a revelation. Fact is that I am getting 25 fps, which I consider playable, when I am zoomed all the way in. It just gets kind of choppy when I zoom out. I realize the odds that there is some setting I can adjust in the ini, or some mod that will increase performance, are very low. However, thought I'd ask, just in case.

How much RAM do you have? CivIV does choke on small amounts of RAM, especially zoomed-out, so that may be your problem. 512 MB on XP or 1024 MB on Vista is not really enough to run CivIV properly on larger than average maps. Integrated graphics exacerbate that problem, as they borrow RAM from the system to power the graphics. So if you have that much RAM, monitor it with Task Manager while playing, and if it's hitting the ceiling, you need to add more RAM for better performance.

Turning down settings such as Graphics Detail, Single Unit Animation, and other general animation settings should help. Also turn down/off antialiasing if it is on. Other than that, I can't think of anything. But if it's any consolation, 11 FPS is still much better than having several hundred megabytes too few of RAM.

Anybody know whats going on? I feel like I should be getting a better frame rate. I can play play Oblivion with this card (barely, 10-15fps when there is lots of stuff on the screen, but 20+ in most places). Makes me think i should be getting a better frame rate.

Top Bottom