Conquest of the World

Hence the "Mischief" Smily. :mischief:

Pago Pago time? I know that's about where the greeks started in the game, but is that where YOU are located....?:eek:

No. Just an obscure cultural reference. And a convenient way to say it's still December 27th if my clock says it's 1 A.M. (or 2 or 3) on December 28th.

its the last inhabited time zone, or so i think, (11 AM there in 9 minutes, so you figure out the difference to you) so he means by the end of the 27th anywhere in the world, it will be up

GMT-11; pretty close to the last place at any rate. We don't have to quibble about it any longer now, though (unless you know what the obscure cultural reference is, then you'll be concerned about it again in a few days); an update is going up before the end of the night.

1973 AD - The journey begins anew after several weeks of absence. After a long pause, I remember the primary predicament of this tourn is the tank and three artillery stranded at Edrine.

Not wanting to give up the war against the Hittites, but neither wanting to lose my Artillery, the Tank, or the city of Iznik, I turn to the only option that could give me everything I want.

We are immensely relieved when our first Bomber leaves a two-hitpoint Veteran Infantry as the best defender. Subsequent bombings kill the Infantry, and reduce a Cavalry guarding the city to half-strength. Figuring a redlined Tank should be able to defeat a two-hitpoint Cavalry, we attack.

Go figure. For some reason I had a bad feeling that would happen. So we turn to our next-best option, and talk with Mursilis.

We also agree to a rather heafty right-of-passage fee - but given the lack of civilizations that can actually pay for such luxuries, we figure the loss of a few luxuries to trade is not too high a price to pay to guarantee the safety of our artillery, which retreat to Iznik.

In Asia, the relatively new Army of Dienekes advances on Hyderabad, a currently Byzantine city we had earlier controlled.

The army loses five of its nine hitpoints to one Infantry, but kills the second without trouble. A Regular Tank then finishes off a defending Cavalry to return the city to Greece.

Farther to the north, the Army of Ulysses, to which we have just added an Elite Tank, moves to the south to strike the Byzantine city of Smyrna.

The next battle in our Land War for Asia is back in Madrid.

After the victory against this Guerilla, we've killed seven units in Madrid and still haven't captured the city. Spain must really want this city. Actually I wish the AI would put up this type of defend-at-all-costs defence more often. Rather inconvenient now, though. Not wanting to give up the advance, we send two bombers over Madrid, by now thought of as the Spanish Stalingrad.

The first one fails and the second is shot down. Actually quite a good representation of our general failure to finish off the city. A Cruiser then bombards 1/3 of the Flak hitpoints, only to reveal a Conscript Rifleman. We gamble and send in Ajax.

The Rifleman falls. One Flak to go (we hope)...

:wow: They've got even more troops!!! Deciding we need more troops next turn, we send two Elite Tanks to the gates of Madrid. And more importantly, we send 11 Artillery guarded by a Mech Inf within bombarding range for next turn.

Counting my troops, I realize I may well have enough to take another Byzantine city. So it's on to Varna!

The first two Tanks are killed by Infantry, but the next three succeed. And thus, the city is ours.

And, for one last huzzah this turn, Agamemnon strikes the Korean capital.

An Infantry falls without inflicting damage, despite the aid of some Hwach'a fire. I doubt the city is in serious danger yet, but I bet even this mostly symbolic advance will get the Koreans a bit concerned.

(continued)

1973 IBT - The Aztecs align with the Sumerians against the Maya. So if Lincoln can't take Tlacopan, perhaps Smoke Jaguar can.

England meanwhile allies with Korea against America. It is unlikely this war will have significant effects, except perhaps the loss of a few British isles in the North Canadian Arctic.

Korea engages one of my Cruisers with a Battleship - and I win. Always a good thing when your enemy (Korea) has 20 Destroyers. Korea also advances a rather large force towards Varna. And we notice their forces outside Bangalore are recovering while in my territory - that means they have Battlefield Medicine.

England declares war on the Byzantines for no apparent reason. OK by me.

Excitement suddenly springs up in Madagascar. The Persian garrison in Frankfurt has come under attack! The defending Infantry does quite well, and is promoted to Elite. But gradually it is worn down. A Persian Cavalry is exposed and loses, and at last the Infantry falls. A loud cheer comes from our troops as a Hittite Medieval Infantry enters Frankfurt, now under yet another owner.

During Persia's turn, a couple troops unload right outside Frankfurt. Looks like Frankfurt's battles this decade might not be over.

Then America comes to me asking for a mututal protection pact. Figuring it can't hurt much with as many wars as we already have, we agree.

Figured that would happen :).

Yay Update!

Geez, why does Spain care so much about Madrid? I know, it's their capital, and AI's always do the defend-at-all-costs thing with their capital (They try to make sure there's always 9+ units in it, that's for sure)

Frankfurt: Built by Germany, then captured by India, then by Zululand, then by Egypt, then by Babylon, then by Persia, and now by the Hittites. Madagascar in general seems to have a lot of ownerships. Sooner or later someone's gonna raze those cities...

America and Maya? The great North American War has begun. This is surely gonna be a big one! And it will probably distract the Americans and Mayans from Tlacopan, too

Well, everyone wants some of those Frankfurters! (I think that's another name for hot dog.)

Make Frankfurt Greek and get it over with! Nobody'll be able to take it from you.

And if America's attention is now on Maya, they'll NEVER get Tlacopan now...:lol:

The Americans must of realized that they were out of cities to attack besides Tlacopan, so they naturally declared war on the Mayans.

Yay Update!

Geez, why does Spain care so much about Madrid? I know, it's their capital, and AI's always do the defend-at-all-costs thing with their capital (They try to make sure there's always 9+ units in it, that's for sure)

Frankfurt: Built by Germany, then captured by India, then by Zululand, then by Egypt, then by Babylon, then by Persia, and now by the Hittites. Madagascar in general seems to have a lot of ownerships. Sooner or later someone's gonna raze those cities...

America and Maya? The great North American War has begun. This is surely gonna be a big one! And it will probably distract the Americans and Mayans from Tlacopan, too

More like resumed. They fought earlier as well, but were unable to destroy each other. It will be a big war, though, and certainly will help me. And the Aztecs.

Well, everyone wants some of those Frankfurters! (I think that's another name for hot dog.)

Haha, yeah. Hopefully Sumeria or someone will land some troops there before it's time for me to take it.

Make Frankfurt Greek and get it over with! Nobody'll be able to take it from you.

And if America's attention is now on Maya, they'll NEVER get Tlacopan now...:lol:

I don't know, I've lost a few cities temporarily. Might happen if I try to take Frankfurt - it's more prone to being captured than any city in the world.

The Americans must of realized that they were out of cities to attack besides Tlacopan, so they naturally declared war on the Mayans.

Must've. Tlacopan mustn't be captured until every other city in North America is captured. Perhaps it's a religious requirement :confused:.

1974 AD - With the Americans at war with the Maya, Tlacopan is almost certainly safe. The Aztecs have 15 Infantry over two cities as well, so they've got more than enough garrison to defend it, even without Rubber.

The Koreans intend to take Varna this turn, and have sent 7 Guerillas and a Marine to do so. I intend to make sure they do not take it. Unfortunately our artillery does not have especially much success this turn. Thus it is mostly up to our tanks to defend the city.

It takes six tanks, but only one is lost, and all the Korean units are destroyed. Wan Kong must be wondering what he must do to take a city. Well, the answer certainly isn't Guerillas and a Marine.

Just because Korea can't take any of our cities doesn't mean we can't take some of theirs, though :devil:.

Agamemnon single-handedly destroys three Veteran Infantry in Seoul. Ulysses then attacks.

Another Infantry is destroyed. Agamemnon is now down to three hitpoints, and Ulysses one, so both of those armies are out of service for awhile. Hector moves in to attack, but the computer has him take a path other than the most efficient one, and he isn't able to attack :mad:. At least Ulysses has protection now.

However, we do have an empty Army in Entremont. So we load in four Elite Tanks - making it the strongest army we have ever had - and send the new Army of Achilles to Seoul.

He does better than the previous two armies, and survives his two attacks while still been in a green number of hitpoints (15). A two-hitpoint Veteran Infantry is now the best defender.

Out of armies (other than the injured Dienekes and the venerable Leonidas), we attack with a Veteran Tank.

W00t! Even I underestimated the true danger of Agamemnon right outside Seoul last turn. The fall of the Korean capital is a great feather in our hat, and without any permanent losses to boot. With both the Byzantines and the Koreans now in free fall, it is doubtful that anyone can stop us except America - and Lincoln just renewed his alliance with us.

Speaking of the Byzantines, it's time for our annual city-taking campaign against them :D!

That's after the last defending Infantry killed two Tanks :eek:.

An attack on Stavanger in the Byzantine-Scandinavian Gobi goes just as unsuccessfully, and we are forced to admit defeat in our bid to take three Byzantine cities three turns in a row. Seoul, however, is a fair substitute.

With that the wars turn to small battles. The first is a routine English Galleon sinking by slightly more powerful than necessary gunnery.

And then sinking an Ottoman Ironclad - their only non-wooden ship. Or at least trying to sink it.

The RNG must really not like that I took Seoul :dunno:.

And at last what we anticipate will at last be a small battle - the Battle for Madrid. Our Artillery reveal three Riflemen - once again a good number considering the length of the battle - but our Artillery and one Bomber reduce the city to rubble. From there it's an easy march into the city.

Two capitals in one turn and both original capitals - not bad. Madrid was destined to fall, but Seoul was not, and that it did may well make 1974 remembered as the year that meant no turning back the Greek tide. With a foot on every continent now, Greece is well poised to advance with more fear-inspiring power than ever before.

1974 IBT -

Persia retakes Frankfurt! Plus two on the number of owners these past two turns!

Babylon send a large force of Musketmen and Longbows into Mongol territory. It's actually large enough to have a chance at taking a city - certainly at not being destroyed given Mongolia's performance against China!

1975 AD -

We discover The Laser. Though not immediately useful for us, it does allow work on Robotics to begin.

Through trade with Babylon, we net a handsome amount of gold. That the trade allows Hammurabi to build Knights does not concern us.

Our first attack of this turn is on Adrianople, an old Byzantine city on some hills north of the Black Sea.

Midway through the attack, I become frusterated by having no clue how strong the Byzantines are, so I send a spy to Constantinople. The spy survives, and we have knowledge of their military!

Weaker than I expected. But I have been mercilessly ravaging their lands the past few turns. And eight Cavalry can do a bit of damage. Though they won't be getting any more Cavalry as I bombed their last source of saltpetre this turn.

Hector and Achilles combined are not strong enough to take the city, so I add two tanks to Dienekes and send him in.

Alright! I didn't even realize Adrianople contained Leonardo's Workshop when I began this attack. No wonder it had four defenders. The Byzantines don't have anything else to upgrade, and are quite unlikely to ever have a chance to upgrade to Mech Inf, but I can use Da Venci's. Sun Tzu's remains in Byzantine hands.

Taking a short break from combat, a Settler builds the new city of Miletos in the Arabian Desert.

Such peaceful expansion is not long possible in this age, however. We soon are back on the battlefield, with Leonidas ready to move forward our borders yet again.

Oh no!!!!! The Invincible Hoplites lost to an Invincible Cavalry! Leonidas is lost. There wasn't much of a chance left for a hopeless defence, unless perhaps we sent him to the New World, but the loss is still devastating. Our unique unit is no longer impervious.

A Tank then storms in and destroys the city as punishment. The citizens of Stavanager will pay for the loss of our most treasured Army.

And with a few half-price upgrades, the turn ends.

1975 IBT - Korea wreaks a bit of havoc this turn. Their Bombers suddenly reappear, bombing Seoul and Namp'o. One of our Fighters intercepts a Bomber, possibly saving an Army, but is shot down by the Bomber. Korea also launches a few attacks on cities...

One of which succeeds. Trebizond is not a particularly valuable city, and is surrounded, so the damage is quite limited. Still, at this point any victory for Korea is a valuable boost to their morale.

In Mongolia, Babylon defeats some Marines with Longbows. Granted, they lost a Musketman and Longbow first, but it's still a rather impressive feat. Bows and arrows > guns and bullets. At least some of the time.

1976 AD -

What horrors!!! Madrid has revolted and the Army of Ajax is lost! The Spanish will pay for this! Two armies lost in two turns is unacceptable!!!

We shell Madrid back to the Stone Age, kill the one-hitpoint Flak defending the city with a Bomber, march in our Mechanized Infantry unopposed, and raze the city. The other Spanish cities can take that as a warning of what happens when you revolt against Greek Armies. Work is began on a settler to resettle the area.

Trade negotiations begin anew after Madrid is delt with. This time it is Persia with whom we seek to trade. For Iron and Coal, the resources of industrialization, they offer an impressive 108 gold per turn. Figuring they likely already are industrialized, and seeing nearly enough dollar signs to eliminate a defecit at 80% science spending, we accept.

All told, Persia is now paying us 197 gold per turn - 27 for peace, 4 for an alliance against the Byzantines, 58 for Silks, Gems, Incense, and Ivory, and 108 for Iron and Coal. Altogether quite impressive for a Fascist state, but Persia always was a wealthy civilization.

America, meanwhile, finally has some gold, and agrees to give us 30 gold per turn for Gems.

America's major contribution to our trade remains their Furs given in exchange for Iron.

Hammurabi, meanwhile, increases the amount of gold he pays for a right of passage to 11 from 2, in exchange for receiving Saltpeter instead of Incense. His total annual contribution to our treasury is now 44 gold.

Mongolia continues to pay us 73 gold per turn for Saltpeter and Coal. The grand total of 344 gold per turn received from these foreign civilizations is the difference that allows a slight surplus at 80% science rather than a slight defecit at 70%. It's not quite the same amount that we were getting in 1876, but it's still a good deal, especially in a Fascist world.

Taking a look at the Demographics, we have at long last surpassed 50 million people - our population is not 50,311,000. With 48% of the world population, the world population is a meagre 104,814,583 - still declining. War is not good for population.

Our next advance will not help that number - we intend to take the new Korean capital of Pusan. Agamemnon, who barely survived Korean bombings last turn, but recovered in the barracks of Namp'o, begins the attack.

In what is becoming a familiar pattern, both Agamemnon and Ulysess destroy two Infantry from the metropolis. Dienekes then destroys a Guerilla and a Rifleman, and Hector kills the last Rifleman to take the city. Once again Korea had seven defenders, but once again, it was not enough.

Our empire now stretches from the Bay of Bengal to the Baltic. P'yongyang, to the southwest of Pusan, is the new Korean capital.

In South America, our Tanks have finally crosses the Colombian mountains, and are ready to attack the city of Izmit in actual Venezuela. Four Bombers made runs over the city before the attack, damaging the defenders and sinking the Ironclad the embarrassingly sunk our Battleship.

It takes only one Tank to take the city. With Bursa back in Hittite control, the Ottomans are caught between a Modern Age foe and an Industrial Age foe, and have no Horses with which to build Sipahi. They're in a genuinely bad position.

Trebizond is recaptured this turn as well. No other enemy troops are on its side of the Himalayas, so it should be safe now.

Most of the remainder of our troops this turn are diverted from the front by a mission setting sail for Hawaii, and thus the few remaining Tanks are used for mop-up work. It'll be awhile, but we are now on our way to securing a tropical paradise.

My condolences on the loss of your armies - that must've hurt. Two armies in subsequent turns does not bode well for your status with the RNG gods.

Perhaps it will be the end of bad luck with the RNG. But I still have several powerful armies in Europe, and many non-army Tanks - the loss of one Hoplite army and one Tank army isn't nearly enough to stop Greece. Our production alone can more than make up for these losses in a couple turns.

Here's a World Map of the current situation. Mongolia's territory looks much larger, but they haven't actually captured anything since their war with China. Similarly, Persia's territory in Europe looks slightly larger, but it's just because the cultural borders of their neighbors shrank significantly due to wars.

1977 AD -

Those bloody Spanish! They obviously didn't learn from the ruins of Madrid. We decide to send in a Inquisition to end these revolts once and for all. The Spanish cities will fall and Greek ones will rise in their place.

We begin the punishment with naval bombardment, followed by an air strike

An Elite Tank then storms the soon-to-not-be city.

Our next expansion is to Uskudar, in Colombia.

The capture of Uskudar allows my Infantry guarding Central America to move forward to mountain-only blockade positions. Not that I suspect I'll really need it now.

Six Tanks and seven Artillery prepare to attack P'yongyang next turn, while Achilles sets up base outside Caesarea, site of Sun Tzu's Art of War. Four Tanks move to the hills outside Istanbul. One Tank, with the support of 19 Artillery, a Cruiser, and a Battleship, reaches the outskirts of Barcelona. With the potential to take four Wonders of the World and two of the cities on the Top 5 Cities list, success in this attack would be yet another indication of Greek dominance.

1977 IBT - The Ottomans continue to be pitiful, losing Ankuwa to the Hittites. They don't have many turns left.

Tlacopan survived! The American failure to take it will live long in the tales of unsuccessful military operations.

Oops. Forgot the Brits landed that guy there. Might have to hurry a Tank in Odense. Nothing we can't afford, though. Fitting end to a less than optimal turn, though. But luck surely will smile on us sometime.

Top Bottom