Real Epic (Longer research times without longer production times, etc)

I'd port it if I had BtS, but at the moment I don't intend to buy it any time in the near future (I've been pretty busy with non-Civ stuff lately, and haven't played in a while).

It shouldn't be too difficult to port it over to BtS, though.

Is there a walk through on how to port anywhere (the closest thing I've found wasn't all too helpful)? I'd be willing to put in a little time to get the better gameplay the mod offers.

I take it Shadowlord is inactive since I last posted months ago.

Anyone else out there able to help me do this?

I know this is an old thread but I love playing this mod. But I did notice one thing I would like to mod. Great people still only increase the production of a new technology by the regular game....therefore making them useless to use in this way. Just wanting to know how I can mod this?

I'm not exactly sure how to do that. There are some other simpler mods now that are similar to, but not nearly as good as the epic mod (to their credit they aren't designed to do the same thing).

Anyway, I've had all sorts of problems when messing with the XML, so if you have successfully ported the file so that it works with BTS, could you please post it?

hhmmmm.... I made a little fix for someone similar to this mod awhile back. I'll check it out, if it seems relatively easy to port, I might do it.

well after a quick glance, its only about 5 files. I'll have it fixed by monday. It would be sooner but I'm kinda busy.

Shiggs

I've found Marathon mode to be pointless. Sure, there are more turns, but it takes twice as long to build anything, so you just end up spending more real time without actually getting more done in the game. I've been very disappointed with Marathon.

Because I haven't found any mod to fix this for BTS, I decided to take a look at the files and see what I could do. The result is an extremely simple 'mod' that turned out to work well for me. I had some awesome drawn-out conflicts with ancient units. You can really pump out those soldiers, but so can the AI of course! So if you decide to use this, you better keep a big army, or you'll have big stacks knocking on (down) your door ;)

So again, this is a very simple adjustment attempt to get a real marathon speed instead of the meaningless one that comes with the game. It has no guarantees and I'm sure real modders would laugh at it. I won't even put it in its own thread. But it worked great for me, tech times seemed to fit and all aspects of the game worked well. The only thing might be that in the very beginning you'll wait a bit until you have the basic techs for workers etc. You'll have ample chance to churn out units and wage some serious war.

Description: Marathon turn setup with Marathon research and Epic build times.

Version: 0.0001 Final

For version: BTS 3.17

Installation: Just back up (!) your CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml file and put the file from the zip in your Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GameInfo directory. Restart the game if it was already running.

Known bugs: None

Future features planned: None

Any other comments: None

Anything at all?: None

COME ON, ANYTHING!: None

Attachments

• CIV4GameSpeedInfo.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 175
hmm.. question. If I just replaced this one file when using jdogg's Revolution mod, do you think everything would work ok or would everything be messed up?

Also, I dont really want to speed up building creation, but I do want to speed up unit creation is there any way to do this or is it already built into this Fredrick?

thanks!!

Thanks Fredric Drum!!

Ok for those that are unaware...

All you need to do is edit the file CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml located at (whatever you named the main civ4 directory)\Beyond The Sword\Assets\XML\GameInfo

The file is split into sections for each game speed and begin with <Type>GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Type>

Of which is at the top of the file already.

I have mine set at:

<Type>GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMESPEED_MARATHON_HELP</Help>
<iGrowthPercent>100</iGrowthPercent>
<iTrainPercent>100</iTrainPercent>
<iConstructPercent>100</iConstructPercent>
<iCreatePercent>100</iCreatePercent>
<iResearchPercent>300</iResearchPercent>
<iBuildPercent>100</iBuildPercent>
<iImprovementPercent>100</iImprovementPercent>
<iGreatPeoplePercent>150</iGreatPeoplePercent>
<iCulturePercent>150</iCulturePercent>
<iAnarchyPercent>150</iAnarchyPercent>
<iBarbPercent>150</iBarbPercent>
<iFeatureProductionPercent>150</iFeatureProductionPercent>
<iUnitDiscoverPercent>150</iUnitDiscoverPercent>
<iUnitHurryPercent>150</iUnitHurryPercent>
<iUnitTradePercent>150</iUnitTradePercent>
<iUnitGreatWorkPercent>150</iUnitGreatWorkPercent>
<iGoldenAgePercent>200</iGoldenAgePercent>
<iHurryPercent>66</iHurryPercent>
<iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>150</iHurryConscriptAngerPercent>
<iInflationPercent>20</iInflationPercent>
<iInflationOffset>-135</iInflationOffset>
<iVictoryDelayPercent>150</iVictoryDelayPercent>

I have left research at 300% and changed some others like build time to match Standard game speed.

Im not sure what all the variables exactly mean but copy and backup your default file and then have a play. Remember to back it up!!

Have fun.

well I guess that works out, if anyone still wants the original converted to bts just say so. Otherwise I'll just assume its either not desired or that FD's changes were satisfactory.

hmm.. question. If I just replaced this one file when using jdogg's Revolution mod, do you think everything would work ok or would everything be messed up?

Also, I dont really want to speed up building creation, but I do want to speed up unit creation is there any way to do this or is it already built into this Fredrick?

thanks!!

You can keep your original speed file and see illu's post. I think <iTrainPercent> is unit training, so set this to a lower number.

As for my adjustments, I've slowed down research a bit since we arrived at techs a bit too soon (result of faster expansion, library building etc.?) and toned down GP creation. Going to test it now.

Shiggs: If you have a more elaborate mod and can convert it to BTS 3.17, it would be even better :) Unless it's too much work.

could somebody upload those version for bts 3.17 with marathon research, marathon buildings speed, epic unit training speed? of course marathon GP creation and marathon culture thresholds. or just well balanced version for bts :p

well I guess that works out, if anyone still wants the original converted to bts just say so. Otherwise I'll just assume its either not desired or that FD's changes were satisfactory.

I would still like the original converted. :)

ok sorry I've been busy. I'll do it when I get some time. It should be somewhat soon.

Top Bottom