Night of the Werewolves XXV: Border of Life

Diamondeye's story doesn't hold up. He claims he can heal people. He also claim he can't ressurect people nor stop them at the brink of the death. What use then is his "ability"? There are noone who've turned up wounded or who could otherwise have gotten help from a healer. The possiblity of a vengful spirit looking to get rid of the people responsible for it's death rather than healing itself (How is that even possible? If you are dead you can't come back by yourself?) seems much more likely.

A hollow voice comes from the healer's chamber, thick from tears:
"In case it means anything to you, I can recall my death. I left a spatter of blood on the ground where I died. If you want to know more, ask the seamstress. She was there."

The young girl looks with sad eyes at the retreating woman as she runs off. So much she must have suffered. A princess, or duchess as it may be, should marry her Prince Charming and live happily ever after. That's the way it always is in the stories. Her voice may not carry much authority, but she feels she wants at least someone to be the friend of the Healer, even if there wouldn't be much time left for a friendship to foster. She doesn't quite dare to go knock on the crying woman's door, but she places herself just outside, hoping the proximity may bring some comfort.

The historian puts on his singing voice. It isn't that good."Hey! Give me a listen, you corpses of cheer/ Least those of you who still got an ear/ I'll tell you a story make a skeleton cry/ Of our own jubiliciously lovely corpse bride!"

Looking at the looks from the others the historian decides to drop his act.

"History has had its fair share of misinformation that led to many misunderstandings and even wars in the past. I feel that the same is happening here. I fear that the killer that was responsible for the Duchess death is also the one who is now holding us in fear. Yes her story has some sharp edges, but how would you feel if you were killed on the day of your wedding. I see now that I was mistaken, her behaviour was led by fear, I believe Diamondeye is innocent."

The historian understand his plea may fall on deaf ears, but he hopes he can convince others that the Duchess should not be killed for a second time.

"Who is suspicious then you ask? Who is responsible for all these tragedies?! I suspect oyzar. See your reasons for wanting to get rid of the healer seem strange to me. You say that she might be a vengeful spirit want to get rid of her killer? Even if that were true, won't that be a good thing? The killer of the duchess was no innocent. No this was a brutal killer I am sure. And you want to protect this person?! When the spirit of the Duchess would kill anyone who stands in her way I would agree with you that she is too dangerous. But finding her killer, who may be the same killer we are facing now, is a top priority for all of us, don't you agree? No none of us have been injured yet, but perhaps the ones that were attacked until now weren't strong enough to defend themselves against these savages. What if one of us survives an attack shouldn't we have someone around who can heal them so we may learn their identity?! Oyzar, I will drop these charges against you if you explain to me why you don't want the killers of the Duchess to be found."

Diamondeye has certainly become the most suspicious of the persons left.

You are saying that the killer we are facing is the same killer who killed the dutchess even though she was killed with poision while here we are dealing with werewolves and people vanishing? No she might be looking to take care of who killed her, but she doesn't care who else dies along the way... Getting rid of/finding her killers might be a good thing, but it won't stop the current ones. I am certainly not looking to protect them, but that is not who I am looking to find either.

"Isn't there a spat of blood each time someone 'vanishes'? Didn't the duchess/healer say she left a spat of blood as well? I see a clear connection. My theory is that the victims get poisoned, die, and then get dragged away somewhere. For what reasons, I don't know. Also you have not answered my question.

Moreover, HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WAS POISON?"

OOC: I assumed it said poison in the story, just re-read it and it doesn't it just says murdered!

Why would there be a spat of blood when someone get poisioned? Anyways your theory doesn't sound unlikely, though there are a numerous other explanations that are equaly likely.

As for your question, I never said I didn't want the Duchess killers found. However according to the seamistress who was there at the time of the Dutchess death, it was poision that killed her, and that the one who did it is dead already.

The historian is now seeing the picture.
"I got lucky didn't I 'Astrologer', if that is even your real occupation. No you betrayed yourself by talking of details that you could not know. Your traitorous ways will end this evening. Rather convenient that the killer died, isn't? As for the spat of blood, who knows perhaps the poison causes you to cough up blood. It is not unheard of. I am sure you could have thought of that, you didn't and that says enough. Your explanations are very lacking, however it does not mean the seamstress should remain silent. You could very well be working together! Seon, speak up and tell us your side of the story! I feel we are very close in finding the killer. For now one of you is lying, I believe it is oyzar and as such I say we should hang him this evening."

Lucky? You seem to be mighty confused. Details I could not know from a simple sentence uttered by Seon about the death of the Duchess? How exactly is my explanation lacking?

The Groundskeeper has found his way to a keg of beer and is drinking copiously. He figures the hangover can't be any worse than what he's feeling right now.

(OOC: Seriously, you guys are making my head hurt. Quit it. :) )

I say that groundskeeper is mighty suspicious. Might be best to send 'im over to jail for a night....with his beer ;)

"Because your explanation lacks reason. You are not surprised Seon "knows" the killer and how he killed the Duchess? I personally wouldn't share such information, seeing how it would set me in suspicious light. When I ask you for information you give generic answers, lacking detail. Or you say you didn't get any. Seems too easy. You find it natural that Seon knows the killer and that poison was used? You do not question his motives? Or how he knows? Now you talk of missend messages that no one heard off. (As of yet.). Your reaction is strange and suspicious. I'll keep my eye on you whatever happens."

OOC: Some of this is from IM convos.
OOC: I don't know how much of you are going to be online before the deadline, as such I assume DE will not make it, if he does turn up innocent. I think we should take a good look at both oyzar and Seon.

So the healer has gotten herself in trouble for revealing herself as a ghost. Well that just goes to show how intolerant our society is nowadays, doesn't it? Well I do not who to accuse for tonight so I guess I'll sit this one out.

The Seamstress seems to have gone insane from the shock

"Oh yes, the murder! THE MURDER! Ah yes, there he was, in the dark room. SPRAYING THAT STUFF ONTO HER DRESS! He said that it was a joke! Didn't he. Said that he would PAY me if I kept quiet. WELL I believed him, didin't I? So I stood by as he poured the THING onto her dress. THEN I saw you lurch away into the GREENHOUSE, then I knew that SOMETHING was WRONG. She was gone, they said. Body was never recovered, and we presumed you dead. AND THEN I went to the MURDERER to confront him, to demand answer. When I reached his house, however, and opened the door, IT WAS RED! THE MAN WAS MURDERED, AND HIS LAB SMASHED! AND AT THE WRECKAGE, I FOUND THIS!

*The Seamstress takes out a vial and frantically waves it around her head (OOC: GM, please confirm)*

But then, that is not the full story, isn't it? How can a poison make your body just simply disappear? No, that was you, Duchess, you or some other party that we will hunt down isn't it? Do you know that I never thought that you were dead? Every night, I toss around in my bed, thinking that you would one night, come for my head for allowing the poisoner to kill you. Well, the POISONER IS ALREADY DEAD!

*Insane Laughter*

Evening Four

The second half of the day was far more frantic than the first. The Healer, Diamondeye had tried to call out the quiet Merchant, but by the end of the day it was the Healer herself that stood accused. She had fled to her room sobbing, but the crowd stood firm and demanded that she come out and die. Even if she truly was the ghost of the dead duchess, the will of the mob would be fulfilled.

The Healer shuffled out of her room, eyes downcast, and as she mounted the gallows, she looked among the crowd one last time, for someone to save her from her fate. The accusations against her weren't unanimous - the Historian was glaring at the Astrologer, the Mercenary stubbornly refused to acknowedge the day's trends, and the small Child appeared about to cry - but they were close enough.

Yet when the Lord motioned to have the noose put over her head, the look that the Healer shot at the crowd was enough to stop all movement cold. "No..." Her whisper somehow carried across the whole courtyard. "I refuse to be murdered... again...!" She spoke the words without moving her lips. Everyone felt her will pulsing in their heads. Suddenly, her skin hardened and turned into bark, her legs into roots which tore through the flimsy gallows, branches arched high overhead.

For a moment, there was a stunned silence. Then, the tree burst into flame. A psychic scream filled the courtyard for what might have been a few moments or might have been hours, and without exception, every person in the castle saw and heard nothing of this world until it ended. When the mental assault finally subsided, the gallows was destroyed, the sun had fallen below the horizon, and the Healer was gone.
Spoiler :
The Healer was a vengeful ghost!
Darkness had already fallen, but the items still needed to be distributed.

The Child had received all of the votes for the Hand Puppets, and taking them seemed to cheer her up notably - no small feat, considering the traumatic events of the past few days.

Likewise, the Beggar had received an overwhelming majority of the votes for the dangerous Silver Knives. He took the box hesitantly, as though he was afraid he might cut himself, and then quickly went off to store them in his sleeping place.

Finally, there had been some disagreement over the ownership of the Greatsword, with the orc Hunter only being passed in favor of the Soldier. He strapped the heavy blade to his back and departed to his room.

There was one other matter to attend to as night fell. The Seamstress, getting increasingly excitable as the day neared its end, had flown out of her room shortly before the Healer's sentence was sealed, some Mysterious Vials in her grasp. She collected them from where they had been strewn over the ground during the Healer's spectacular departure and returned to her room carrying them. They would be voted upon the next day. At the moment, the denizens of the castle each returned to their rooms to think on what they had seen.
Spoiler :
1 Astrologer oyzar (Female, Elven) Niklas Methos Stuck in Pi Diamondeye
Bard Frozen In Ice (Male, Elven) Niklas
12 Beggar Methos (Male, Human) Methos Diamondeye
Blacksmith thomas.berubeg (Male, Dwarven)
Butler TheForestAuro (Male, Elven) Stuck in Pi Niklas Ekolite Diamondeye

16 Child Niklas (Female, Human) Niklas Diamondeye
1 Cook Ekolite (Female, Elven) Methos Diamondeye
Fiddler Izipo (Male, Elven) Niklas
Gardener Backwards Logic (Female, Elven)

1 Gatekeeper hell_hound (Male, Elven)
Groundskeeper Renata (Male, Human) Methos Niklas Sepuku Diamondeye
Harpsichordist Ozbenno (Male, Human) Methos Diamondeye
13 (-1) Healer Diamondeye (Female, Elven) Niklas Sepuku KingMorgan Seon
Historian Nictel (Male, Elven) Niklas Methos oyzar
4 Hunter Sepuku (Male, Orc) Sepuku Methos Niklas Diamondeye

Jailer CCRunner (Male, Human) KingMorgan Methos Diamondeye
Lord Winston Hughes (Male, Elven) Diamondeye
Master-at-Arms RRRaskolnikov (Male, Elven)

Mechanic Mergle (Female, Dwarven)
1 1 Mercenary KingMorgan (Male, Human) Niklas Sepuku Methos hell_hound
Merchant D'Artagnan59 (Male, Human) Stuck in Pi Niklas Methos
Miller ZPV (Female, Human)
Paladin PrinceScamp (Male, Human) Stuck in Pi Niklas Diamondeye

Philosopher Splime (Female, Elven)
Sculptor PaulusIII (Female, Human) Niklas Diamondeye
1 Seamstress Seon (Female, Human) Stuck in Pi Niklas Diamondeye
Seneschal Adrogans (Male, Dwarven) Niklas Methos Diamondeye
6 Soldier Stuck in Pi (Male, Human) Niklas Methos Stuck in Pi
It is Night Four!
Those with night actions, send them to me!
Public posting is closed!
Day breaks in 24 hours!

I won't be online to post the update at the scheduled time tonight. I'll open the day a few hours late, and the day will be sixty or so hours long to resynch it with the schedule.

Morning Five

After the events of the previous evening, no one in the castle knew what to expect. Everyone hesitantly woke for the morning headcount. They gathered in the courtyard. The pile of wood that had been the gallows was still smoldering, and the crowd left a clear opening around it, fearful of some lingering magic. If the castle decided to execute someone today, it would be by some other means.

Deprived of his usual perch, the stout dwarven Seneschal clambered atop one of the statues around the edge of the courtyard to make his count. He checked it three times over before dismounting to announce the result. "Just one missing, m'lord... It's the Child, Niklas."

Oddly, the scene of the murder was different from any so far. The dismembered chunks that the werewolf tended to leave behind were not present, but the cold efficiency suggested by the small spatters of blood was gone as well. There were signs of a struggle, with a table toppled over and messy pools of blood in several places, but no corpse. There was a smear of blood leading out of the room, like something had been dragged out... The castle was left to wonder what that might mean.
Spoiler :
The Child was innocent!
In her possession were the Hand Puppets voted to her the previous day, as well as some Lifelike Dolls that were found neatly lined up against the wall.

The Seamstress also emerged from her rooms with the Mysterious Vials that she had revealed the previous night. They would be voted upon as well.

The Astrologer immediately opened the day accusing the Paladin, PrinceScamp, of being in league with the Healer. The fifth day's voting would clearly be off to a much quicker start.

It is Day Five!
Players, place your votes!
Votes for the Hand Puppets are Purple!
Votes for the Lifelike Dolls are Blue!
Votes for the Mysterious Vials are Red!
Public posting is open!
Night falls in 48 hours!

Anyways, I'll get the ball rolling.

Since the Child is dead, the puppets and dolls can go to The Bard, Frozen in Ice. Yes, I'm talking about him. He'd entertain us with them, I'm sure of it.

Top Bottom