DMOC's Immortal Game #3: Julius Caesar

SO MANY CITIES! Looking forward to some serious stomping!

I'd like to see this go to the modern age, with fighters, marines and tanks or such. With the serious amount of AI's and cities this could be insane! Time consuming though :D

Round 6

The Battle to Revive - A Fight to Rid the Alien! (Part I) - Early Successes.

1335 AD to 1420 AD [18 Turns]

Sorry guys, this isn't a 59-turn round, but hopefully it's just as entertaining.

As I was gathering my praetorians, macemen, and musketmen together with my trebuchets and dividing them into three relatively equal stacks, I was building up my stockpile of gold. Upgrading 8 praetorians to riflemen costs 2,512:gold:! And as you can see I'm researching steel. Any guesses as to why?

As you can see, Tokugawa is sending his powerful but obsolete troops to take on Mansa Musa. Tokugawa had the highest power rating in the world so I decided to give him a technology in exchange for declaring war on Mansa Musa, who really needed to be taken down a notch.

Tokugawa's stack ended up parking next to Mansa's southern city and never attacked. :confused: He later retreated.

My Great Merchant finally reached Uruk, which was the second highest city on the "Top 5 Cities" list, behind Pacal II's Mutal. Mutal seems to be the top city in every game that has Pacal in it.

The Great Merchant's gold was welcome, though he was too tardy to be of any aid in upgrading troops.

Soon ... it was time. The cordial relationship between Rome and Khmer had to end. War start! Turn 295, 1375 AD.

The power graph:

The power graph when a human is all the way down at the bottom is really ambiguous, as drafting and upgrading can cause us to propel all the way to the top.

As you can see below, I even enlisted the aid of a frigate to whittle away at coastal defenses.

The first few cities of the war were easy pickings. The first step was to rile up the citizens by attacking with trebuchets. The second step was to knock the stuffing out of them with the riflemen. The endeavor was frugal, and there was no reprisal at all.

Hamilcar Barca, extolled worldwide for his renowned military skills, became a super medic, hoping to proliferate his knowledge of medication.

My scouts report: turn 2 of the war.

Tokugawa was a great ally during the war with Suryavarman II. He even agreed without respite to cancel open borders with Suravarman II, protecting me from these troops.

Hm ... I'm betting Pacal II is going to try for a diplomatic victory since he's researching electricity.

Isvarapara was soon besieged. An immortal AI is defending with a catapult, a macemen, and two swordsmen in 1390 AD.

Throughout this war, I stole an incredible number of workers. Here's a tip for wars: always be on the lookout for laggards!

I am really happy that Tokugawa was friendly enough with me so he would cancel open borders with Suryavarman II. Tokugawa was friendly with Sury, I think.

The usual 50-turn report. As you can see, Tokugawa's backwards, but innumerable troops, are tops. That wouldn't last by the end of the war with the Khmer. Also, it seems like Sitting Bull is making too many troops for his own good again. And once again, it results in a bottom-of-the-scoreboard location. His AI definitely needs some tweaking to it.

The assault on Hariharalaya was probably the one that Sury II offered the most resistance to me. You can see that by now the war was becoming a cakewalk for me. This is the power of riflemen and trebuchets, my favorite Renaissance combination of troops before the age of steel.

Tokugawa's mighty stack-of-doom was apparently attacked by some Malinese troops. And Tokugawa's not really retaliating. I was hoping that he could take a city or two from Mansa, but it just didn't happen. Also ... just three turns to Steel!

My scouts report: turn 7 of the war.

Of course, I knew Suryavarman II had to offer some resistance. Here's what he provided. This was actually a smart move by the AI, since he was able to sneak his forces through Malinese territory and attack my lightly defended eastern cities which were already suffering from being over-drafted. I marked the stack with a "careful!" sign.

So would they cause trouble to me?

TO BE CONTINUED ... in The Battle to Revive - A Fight to Rid the Alien! (Part II) - Restoring Roman Dominance.

Coming soon...

---------------

Any comments?

Nice going. Score that turn up by 56 points. :) This is going to be very nice. Tech path after democracy is towards assembly line?

Yes. I did make a stop at Physics, although that was only to partially research so I could get Physics for one tech.

Also, I only researched Democracy for a few turns because I traded it with someone later on and then switched to Emancipation, for happiness help.

EDIT: Sneak preview.

Spoiler :

I hope it will be soon! Sneak preview looks great!

Pretty Epic game you have going here DMOC, I thank you for sharing it with us!

Looking forward to seeing how this is played out

Very entertaining game DMOC. I'm working on shoring up my Emperor gameplay and hope to make the jump to Immortal soon. This game has provided me with a lot of insights, I eagerly await its finish!

Round 6

The Battle to Revive - A Fight to Rid the Alien! (Part 2) - Restoring Roman Dominance.

1420 AD to 1510 AD [19 Turns]

Suryavarman II must have decided that sacrificing his aggrieved soldiers was a better alternative than trying to battle.

First, a cannon attacked to weaken the stack.

Then I moved in for the kill. Even my Great General got involved in the action.

Anyway, I had another stack of military units that headed for the Khmer capital. They stopped to capture a few of Sury's wandering units.

Estruscan was the next city to fall. I had multiple stacks that were just routing the Khmer at this point.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Mehmed II declared war on me!

Say what?

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I finally got Democracy from Napoleon. You can see that France is pretty advanced.

I switched civics.

• Hereditary Rule - For diplomatic reasons (The screenshot shown below is a mistake, I clicked on Universal Suffrage but decided that HR would be best after all)
  • Nationhood - For drafting.
  • Emancipation - For combatting unhappiness.
  • Free Market - For trade route income.
  • Free Religion - For happiness and research benefits.

With the size of my military, it was no surprise that the Khmer capital fell easily.

In the below screenshot, you can see the signs that display the city specialization that I'm going to be doing. Some of these displayed national wonders, such as the Heroic Epic, are built, but some like Oxford University will take a while to complete.

After the war scene looked like this ...

I vassalized Sury, and later Charlemagne. So now I've got two vassals under my wing.

So basically, I constructed more units while upgrading many of my old riflemen to infantry, for the upcoming war pitting Rome and Mali together. Tokugawa, by the way, made peace with Mansa Musa after losing a hefty portion of his army.

I did some preliminary scouting, and was not impressed by the weak defenses.

I ended the round on turn 322, 1510 AD. Here's the land situation a few turns ago:

Technology:

Domestic:

Financial:

Top 5 cities:

Demographics:

Victory conditions:

Get ready for the next update about the Rome vs. Mali war, coming soon!

As a player who has just started to play immortal I have to say that you make it look too easy.

Do you have a save?

Looks like it'll take forever to get domination or conquest judging by the size of that map :lol:

Just by looking at the tech screen, it seems that you may have problems with some run-away AI...and more tedious warfare on this huge map. Hope you'll mange to find the time to finish it off, nice game! :)

Top Bottom