"Starmap" Space Terrain by Leaven

Leaven

I like the yellow ones...
Hello everyone! I'm pleased to present my finished "Starmap" Space Terrain set. I've redone pretty much all of the space graphics
with newer, higher resolution images. I've also cleaned up the starscape background so it's more uniform behind the planets. I tried
to use very similar planets to the ones included in the original Space Terrain set, so many of these will look very familiar, but with
smoother edges and better color. Here's a Preview:
Also, I've included blank city graphics so that the cities just look like the planets below them, and I've added a new city ruins image
that looks like a colony got blasted off the surface of a planet:
DESTROY.jpg

Some details about using this terrain:

Starmap cannot be used to generate random maps in Civ 3. You must create custom maps
by hand when using these graphics. In order to get the full benefit of this terrain set,
here are some things to remember...

Lush (Earth-like) Worlds must use the bonus grassland setting. Without the bonus, the
planet will not show up.

Gas Giants come in 6 flavors: Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, a small pink planet, and
a large green one. To get the green giant, you must first create a Rocky World, then place
a Gas Giant on top of it.

You can have two moons on one tile by using the Snow-Capped Mountain setting. This is
especially useful when you want Gas Giants to have lots of moons but not use every nearby
tile.

Volcanic Worlds, Moons, Large Asteroids, and Double Moons have two versions. The alternate
versions only show up in close proximity to one another (Like a Volcanic World with a moon to the
NW, or multiple moons next to each other).

When you place a star, try to avoid having anything in the tiles to the immediate S, SW,
or SE, as these tiles will overlap the star and cover up part of it.

When I use this terrain, I have Gas Giants (Forest) unable to build cities. This means that LMForests
(called Scorched Worlds) also cannot have cities. I meant for these worlds to be either very close
to the sun (like Mercury) or else very radioactive and thus unsuitable for settlement.

Download it Here
This terrain won Best PCX of Dec. 2009!:trophy:
Download v1.1 Update*NOTE: the main download has been updated, if you are downloading this for the first time, you will not need this update.
Spoiler :
Credits:

Airport, Harbor, Barracks icons, TerrainBuildings, Worker Jobs, Airfields, & Victory
Location from NavyDawg's Space Opera.

Resources from NavyDawg's Space Opera (But look for a resource add-on pack from me
in the future).

Stars, asteroids, and starscape background from original space terrain, modified by me.

All planets made from images found on Google Image Search and edited by me with Adobe
Photoshop CS.

City Ruins & Blank City Graphics by me.
Special thanks to original Space Terrain artist Vadus, for inspiring me and because I wouldn't have
learned how the graphic files work without looking at his.

Attachments

• StarmapFinal.jpg
    StarmapFinal.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 3,632
Wow, beautiful! :love:

Now if only there were some way to either get the AI to properly use naval units, or a way to properly make space terrain that uses the land files :confused:

Edit: Wow, finally got a chance to actually download and look at the files... just wow. Its really obvious you put a lot of passion into this!

Breathtaking! I'm a fan of the original space terrain, and this is an incredible improvement.

Kool.
I take it that only planets are used for citis, right? No moons?

Kool.
I take it that only planets are used for citis, right? No moons?

Actually, in the scenario I made these for, moons can be settled. Mainly this was because I chose not to allow Gas Giants to be colonized, but figured that civs would settle their moons instead (Like if we ever settled on Titan, Ganymede, or Io). Also, the Landmark version of the moons tile (LM Mountains IIRC) is Forest World, and I want them to be able to be colonized, which requires that moons are also.

Did you mean "colonised" as in building colonie or "colonised" as in building a city on top of the tile? i take it you meant them to be able to support cities, but, well... you never know. I might be wrong.

Yeah, sorry, I meant Cities. In the scenario Cities are called Colonies, and I guess I've taken to using them interchangeably (since I pretty much never build actual Civ3 colonies anymore :) )

Also, to further answer your first question, even the larger asteroids can be settled in my scenario. If you didn't want to have cities on moons or asteroids, it's not that hard to change around, it just means a little cut'n'paste image editing and renaming of files, so they're in the right spots.

I got a new LCD screen for Christmas (finally, I've been using CRT 'till now) and I noticed some minor glitches in the original Starmap terrain set. Specifically, the Forest World was cut off on one side, the asteroid moons had an old graphic I forgot to replace, and the Stars needed a little touching up. I also included the animations from NavyDawg's Space Opera (which look much better with this terrain than the Firaxis ones), which I forgot to include in the original release. Download the update here.

There appears to be an error with three of the planet graphics. The Forest World, Volcanic World and Scorched World graphics have a yellow diamond in the middle and a green line on the NW and SE grid square next to it. I have attached a screenshot of the problem:

Attachments

• Screenshot001.JPG
    Screenshot001.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 269
There appears to be an error with three of the planet graphics. The Forest World, Volcanic World and Scorched World graphics have a yellow diamond in the middle and a green line on the NW and SE grid square next to it. I have attached a screenshot of the problem:
Is the screenshot from the editor or a game in progress? The diamond/line is the LM Terrain indicator used in the editor that normally does not appear in game - the graphic file is separate from the terrain files.

Is the screenshot from the editor or a game in progress? The diamond/line is the LM Terrain indicator used in the editor that normally does not appear in game - the graphic file is separate from the terrain files.

Those particular planets are indeed landmark tiles and are supposed to look that way in the editor under normal circumstances. Personally I have removed the marks since landmark terrain is supposed to stand out by itself, and that's why in my screenshots they don't show up. The file landmark_terrain.pcx in the Terrain folder can be modified for this purpose.

Top Bottom