• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

King of the World #17: Peter the Great

Hell, I am American and I say we know all about Europe

1) We kicked Englands butt to get indepednece
2) We kicked Germany and Italy's butt in WWII
3) We kicked Austria/Hungary/Turkey's butt in WWI.
4) We kicked Spains Butt in the Spanish American War.
5) We kicked Russia and eastern Europe's butt in the cold war.
6) We would have kicked France's butt but they never wanted to go to war with us.
7) We could care less about scandenavia because frankly it's too cold and if we liked the cold Cannada would be state 51 whether they liked it or not.
8) We kicked Japan's butt in WWII, hey wait they aint in Europe!

Now Neal that I have ticked off the non-USA Civfanatics community, can you start the game before WWIII starts here!

Yet, you seem curiously unable to win wars against third world countries that can hardly afford bombs. :p

Anyway, it's nice knowing you don't care for us Scandinavians considering the rest of your list.

Alaska is an American embarrassment and an aboration. Dont't believe, look at the 2008 republican Vice Presidential nominee.

Mad... In polite company we do not discuss this aberration. It is kind of like the child out of wedlock we do not admit to or the exhale of gas we hope someone else looks guilty of.:mischief:

Mad... In polite company we do not discuss this aberration. It is kind of like the child out of wedlock we do not admit to or the exhale of gas we hope someone else looks guilty of.:mischief:

Ted Stevens.

Series of Tubes.

'nuff said.

I most humbly apologize :mischief:

The abhorrent Alaskan. Wonder what that'd be like in one of Mads RPG's.

---

Having Sarah Palin actually exist in America. Wonder what it says about America that it produced a thing like that. Or perhaps its some sort of anomalous error in creation, sort of like Hitler or your local tele-evangelist. Of course theres also people like the north korean guy and George Bush so i guess the abherrant anomaly theory is quite likely.

Hell, I am American and I say we know all about Europe

1) We kicked Englands butt to get indepednece
2) We kicked Germany and Italy's butt in WWII
3) We kicked Austria/Hungary/Turkey's butt in WWI.
4) We kicked Spains Butt in the Spanish American War.
5) We kicked Russia and eastern Europe's butt in the cold war.
6) We would have kicked France's butt but they never wanted to go to war with us.
7) We could care less about scandenavia because frankly it's too cold and if we liked the cold Cannada would be state 51 whether they liked it or not.
8) We kicked Japan's butt in WWII, hey wait they aint in Europe!

Now Neal that I have ticked off the non-USA Civfanatics community, can you start the game before WWIII starts here!

Canada would be the 51st state?!? Please, we're the only country that has defeated you on the battlefield..... and we burned down your White House. BOOM! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

You are beating us at the World Jrs. Tonight though! You have a good hockey team this year.

Canada would be the 51st state?!? Please, we're the only country that has defeated you on the battlefield..... and we burned down your White House. BOOM! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

You are beating us at the World Jrs. Tonight though! You have a good hockey team this year.

I lay at your feet three (3) pieces of evidence.

1. Vietnam.

2. It was actually Great Britain that burned Washington, Canada was not created until, like, 2058.

3. You're opposing normal regulations in order to prevent our speed skating team from practicing on your ice for the winter olympics.

3. You're opposing normal regulations in order to prevent our speed skating team from practicing on your ice for the winter olympics.

Because the USA doesn't have any ice of their own to practice on.

Canada would be the 51st state?!? Please, we're the only country that has defeated you on the battlefield..... and we burned down your White House. BOOM!
Yes, while they burned York (ie Toronto), a rather more valuable target.

Besides, why would they want (a) a state bigger than Alaska and Texas and (b) two more Democrat senators?

Yes, while they burned York (ie Toronto), a rather more valuable target.

Besides, why would they want (a) a state bigger than Alaska and Texas and (b) two more Democrat senators?

That's funny, I've never thought of it that way. Maybe we should join America.... That'll be the end of Neo-Conservatives making government. Healthcare and sodomies for all!

Neal shook his head, slowly coming awake after a long slumber. His time in Rome was fun. Smashing cities with Praetorians is, after all, a blast, and togas are always fashionable. It sure beat getting his face beaten in by barbarians in a frigid Ice Age hell, anyway. He looked around his tent blearily. It's always a tent in 4000 B.C. He stepped outside to find himself on a coast, with another shoreline clearly visible to the south. Cows grazed all around him, and wheat swayed in the wind. England! Sweet! Something was wrong, though. The music was too low, too sullen. There was a red glow around his potential borders. And (Neal patted himself down to make sure) he wasn't a woman. Not that he'd ever admit publicly to wanting to walk a mile in the Virgin Queen's shoes, but he was mildly disappointed. A fur-capped subchief trotted up with a crude tray. "Breakfast, Fearless Leader! Vodka and crumpets!"

Okay, so (Neal thought as he twirled his magnificent mustache), we're somehow Peter of Russia, only we're starting on Britain. And that's pretty clearly Saladin there across the channel. Oh, well. We've dealt with alternate leader sets before, we can do it again. May as well make the most of it.

Fearing cultural pressure from the Gallic Arabs, the British Russians trudged east, founding their capitol on a rocky outcrop on the English (Slavic?) Channel:

The Russians are an earthy folk by nature, but Peter (for that was what Neal called himself in those days) knew that, living on an island, they would need to adapt and become a sea people, so they began studying Fishing as Workers trained in the capital. The hardy Scouts, meanwhile, found a vast treasure in the northern woods.

For a thousand years, the Russians struggled to adapt to their homeland. By the third millennium, though, Londongrad was a bustling little city-state:

After Fishing, Peter set his sights on Agriculture and Animal Husbandry so as to make use of the island's bountiful resources. Then it was time to learn how to ply the waves and try for a foothold in mainland Europe. The Arabs, meanwhile, with their knowledge and blessings from the Immortal gods, made quick work of pacifying their corner of the continent, covering it with roads.

A second city, splitting the island and allowing for naval travel without the permission of the dour Arabs, was founded in 2500 B.C.:

The city quickly came to rival Londongrad as the jewel of the nascent empire. In fact, the two cities feuded over the Mines and Pastures between them, as the resources traded hands many times over the years.

In 2350, Greek Fishing Boats were seen off the coast of the Emerald Isle, which Peter considered his own sovereign territory. This meant that Alexander was near, and had at least one port available to him. The Macedonian was a capable general, usually hampered by his cramped, marginal starting position. If Greece had access to better lands, though, they could prove to be formidable foes.

This situation was only exacerbated when Peter's emissary to Athens, a rude, boisterous man sent more to get him off the island than anything else, challenged Alexander to a fistfight:

The ambassador was quickly recalled and bludgeoned to death with a sharp rock (you can get away with that sort of thing in the Ancient era), but the damage was done. Thankfully, yet more riches were found in Ireland. They might be necessary if Alexander's indignation boils over into hostility.

Seeking to isolate Arab France from the rest of Europe, Saladin made Louis' usual mistake, building The Great Wall in 2150 B.C.:

Peter pleaded with him, begging him to see the light of reason, but Saladin merely mumbled something about "foreign influences" and announced that his borders were closed.

But all that is history. Here we stand, at 2025 B.C.:

The Greeks are preparing for war. We have a Settler ready to build a new city and a Galley to transport him to the mainland, if need be. Our military is sorely lacking (we have a Warrior in each of our cities, and our Scouts keeping an eye on the highlands), though, so perhaps we should keep our third city away from Greece's feared Phalanxes. What do you all think?

The save:

I'd try to get TGL, and then expand quickly to the mainland and get Sweden settled quickly. Alex will be plotting war against someone on the mainland for now, and if you can get all of Scandinavia, you'll have a natural border (since even if AIs will settle around with boats, I think you'd still be safe from an invasion from the sea). Then from there you can decide what to do (take down the beast in Alex, or invade the motherland, or go colonize south America).

Thank the heavens that the Russian Leader of England (or is it English leader of Russia, no scratch that) back to deflect the abuse us Americans are taking from the world simply because were arrogant and spoke our minds! :lol:

Interesting you moved the settler, that limits Britain to 3 cities. By the way it should be LonCOW and YorkoGrad. You gonna butcher names micht as well make them funny! HastoGrad is the third one.

You have a Zealot, the Agressive Greek with Phalyx', and a coastal Genghis as your neighbors. Perhaps you should be thinking about hunting/archery especially since Al is firing up his war-host early and has copper in his BFC if I recall correctly.

If you settle Scandenavia I suggest you go deep into it to block of the good lands of Norway and Sweden from the AI.

Hey, I happen to like his name choices. Made me chuckle and think fondly of RISK when I saw Yorkutsk. I think neal's choices were funnier than yours, mad. :p

May I suggest Novgorodham and Yekaterinwich for future cities?

Hey, I happen to like his name choices. Made me chuckle and think fondly of RISK when I saw Yorkutsk. I think neal's choices were funnier than yours, mad. :p

May I suggest Novgorodham and Yekaterinwich for future cities?

Sigh:mischief: Guess there is no discussion about taste!

I enjoy the Rusglish city names.

I expect Asia to be more technologically advanced with Genghis and Toku replaced by Hattie and Liz. Mansa as the leader of Aztecmali will be interesting.

Alexander is gearing against Ashoka in Italy, most likely.

No religions yet? That's not a good sign, usually the only thing keeping Europeans from trouncing each other over border disputes is a shared religion.

As far as military goes, Neal should take the British way out and fight Lions with Whales.

In this situation I would normally say go for the GLH... but you are so weak in military that I think placing the settler in Scandinavia and concentrating military units there should be a priority. We need archery at least. A city on the mainland should divert any attack on you to that city and worst case at least buy us some time. I like the first city placement. As always love the write up.

Top Bottom