King of the World #17: Peter the Great

Neal

King of the World
Round 0: A New Beginning (4000 B.C.)
Round 1: A Europe New and Strange (4000-2025 B.C.)
Round 2: Establishment of Empire (2025-900 B.C.)
Round 3: A More Violent World (900-185 B.C.)
Round 4: The Sea People? (185 B.C.-340 A.D.)
Round 5: A Whole New World (340-790 A.D.)
Round 6: Quests and Gambits (790-1070 A.D.)
Round 7: The Long March (1070-1265 A.D.)
Round 8: Laying Claim (1265-1405 A.D.)
Round 9: Powerhouse (1405-1550 A.D.)
Round 10: The 308-Year-Plan (1550-1858 A.D.)

Greetings, all, and welcome back! In the King of the World series, we play on Earth maps, quite literally toying with history as we conquer real-life continents rather than potato-shaped blobs :) This most recent game is a bit different. We're using the standard Earth18 Civs and Leaders (with the notable exception of the Peter-for-Catherine swap) on the standard map, only... moved around a bit. For instance, Saladin is in France now, and Russia starts on the bonny British Isles! And those are just the obvious ones from the start. I'll spoiler the rest for those of you who want to keep in suspense (and didn't participate in the Throne Room discussion):
Spoiler :
Kyoto - Elizabeth; Beijing - FDR; Karakorum - Hatty; Delhi - Montezuma

Persepolis - Isabella; Mecca - Louis; Thebes - HC; Timbuktu - Frederick; Moscow - Caesar

Athens - Tokugawa; Rome - Asoka; Berlin - Alexander; London - Peter*; Paris - Saladin; Madrid - Genghis Khan

Washington - Cyrus; Tenochtitlan - Mansa Musa; Cuzco - Qin Shi Huang
So, yes, here we are, Peter the Great, seeking to glorify Mother Russia from a... most peculiar vantage point:

I scaled the difficulty back a bit because things will be a bit unfamiliar with all the changes I've made and, well, we don't have Praetorians this time :p The only map changes I've made were moving the Civ on the Iberian peninsula 1E to the coast, and the one in the Peruvian highlands 2W for the same advantage. Other than that, it's all stock. Which means, of course, that South America should be ripe for colonization, so I think we can do well as Engla- I mean, Russia without having to impinge too much on our neighbors, playing a peaceful colonization game instead and seeing how the various leaders do in their new homes.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let's take a look at our sovereign territory:

The England settlement discussion has happened before, but I figure I'll dredge it up again. Do Russia's unique qualities change things at all?

Without further ado, here's the scenario:

At least you have less cutlure pressure from Paris!

Spoiler :

Are there New World civs??? Last I heard it was

Qin in Peru

Mansa in MExico

Cyrus in USA

Try making a grid so you have as many cities on this tiny island as you can! Also, you might want to try for Norway/Sweden/Finland with a fast sailing.

Try making a grid so you have as many cities on this tiny island as you can! Also, you might want to try for Norway/Sweden/Finland with a fast sailing.

You cam max Great Britain with 4 cities, and 2 on ireland.

I'm interested in seeing how North America in particular will look once it's fully settled.

...you need to work the same water tiles even though there's one less :commerce: per tile.

I've always assumed Liz does so well because of financial, so this looks like a challenge without it. Oh well, at least expansive means twice as many workers chopping down the Brazillion rain forests!

I've always assumed Liz does so well because of financial, so this looks like a challenge without it. Oh well, at least expansive means twice as many workers chopping down the Brazillion rain forests!

Not to mention combating the un-healthiness that come with settling there...

I wouldn't max out the cities on the isles. 3 in Great Britain and 1 in Ireland seems functional. If you're going Wonder hunting how about settle on the stone? Very much looking forward to this game!

Long time lurker blah blah blah

What an honor to be contributing (bad) advice to the legendary Neal alongside great minds like rolo, huerfanista, stewie, ipex, dmoc, nbcman, cheese, and all the rest!

Ok enough of that, and another vote for peaceful expansion. I love this series, never stop! Or else.

Long time lurker blah blah blah

What an honor to be contributing (bad) advice to the legendary Neal alongside great minds like rolo, huerfanista, stewie, ipex, dmoc, nbcman, cheese, and all the rest!

Ok enough of that, and another vote for peaceful expansion. I love this series, never stop! Or else.

Congrats Neal, you're a legend :D

Madscientist doesn't make that list!? I thank you for the compliment, but seriously, if you haven't checked out his RPC games yet, do so. They're a treat.

And yeah, Rome gave me my military fix. I'm thinking that this game will be (mostly) peaceful.

Congrats Neal, you're a legend :D
Pfft. Everyone knows the legend of when Neal brought the world under his rule as the queen Isabella. Everyone knows the time when he hopped bodies about the world. Everyone knows when he almost brought the mad queen Catherine under control. All we need now is sainthood.

Then godhood.

Then creatorhood.

:worship:

Peaceful expansion until the Enlightenment, at least. I don't think another "stomp Europe" game would be very exciting.

Agreed with the peaceful expansion. See how well you can do without invading other civs...up to a point. Complete peace will be difficult to maintain. And if there's some superpower who ends up clearly dominant above the rest, it might be needed to put him in his place.

Doh I kew I would forget somebody. One of the perils of making lists.

Let me state for the record that madscientist is indeed a great mind, and I recently discovered his rpc series, though I haven't had a chance to dive too deep into it since I've been reading the past 16 kotws.

When is the round coming up!?

Doh I kew I would forget somebody. One of the perils of making lists.

Let me state for the record that madscientist is indeed a great mind, and I recently discovered his rpc series, though I haven't had a chance to dive too deep into it since I've been reading the past 16 kotws.

When is the round coming up!?

Welcome, but a great mind, I must correct this. An insane mind!

This is one game I look very forward to, seeing how the swapped AIs play out. Neal's success will be secondary to me.

Top Bottom