The Great Zimbabwe Empire

Grishnash

Mad Scientist
Africa... Where it all began.​

Hello, this is my first Civilization and quite frankly some of my first modding (my first real modding at least) :) It's a simple XML work that uses the art from around Civfanatics.

The Great Zimbabwe Civilization, it comes fully playable, just download, unzip, move to your Civilization/BTS/Mod folder and you're good to go! Everything you need to know about the Civilization is shown in the pics! Enjoy!

The Unique Building, meat is good for this Empire!

These great Warriors are superb are putting down musketmen! Beware rifles have a different take.

This man will rule the lands, too bad his past is forgotten to everyone, including himself.

The Civilization that stood proud.

Rozwi Warriors attacking the Imperialists Cannons, hope they make it back alive!

I don't think they realize that RedCoats have rifles, not muskets...

Here you could see the city's Kraal where they keep their meat.

Let me know what you think ;)

Download - 8.8 MB

Credits:
The J for his help that made this possible.

Walter Hawkwood for his Barbarian Camp - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=314520&highlight=Barbarian+Camp

Mechaerik for his African Militia Unit - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=327166&highlight=African+militia

The Capo for his Leaderhead - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=300561&highlight=Cetshwayo

And Iggymnrr for his tutorial on how to make flags - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7923277#post7923277

Alright, thanks The_J! I've done all three.

The UU seems kind of... weak. Its 2:strength: weaker than a regular maceman, and doesn't receive the anti-melee bonus its counterpart does. It is better at fighting against cannons and musketmen, but these come quite a bit after macemen, making it rather inferior to the unit it replaces for most of its duration and against most enemies.

True, I was thinking of making seven strength, but thought that It would be too strong against gunpowder units like that... Hmmm...

Then why not just reduce the bonus (and give back the anti-melee)? 6:strength: with 75% is more or less the same as 8:strength: with 25%, and maybe a 10% boost against cannons.

Or add a 100% bonus against mounted and make it a Pikeman instead. That works too.

Good work, and nice to see my stuff being used. Although I am not really sure why you keep harping on the Musket v. Rifle thing with this unit, it has +75% strength v. Gunpowder units, not v. Musketmen, so it seems to me they get a bonus against both. Kind of confusing the way it is presented here.

Well, the thing is that Musketmen are so much weaker then Riflemen, so the Rozwi with the bonus can kill one. But against a rifleman, not even a chance :)

Okay, I've changed and updated the Rozwi Warrior. Now it's plus 50 against gunpowder instead, and with 8 strength but no melee bonus. :) Enjoy!
This way their not as weak as before, but still no threat to a macemen, meaning your going to have to employ some Crossbows :)

Change the word "assented" in the leader's civilopedia entry to "ascended." Then I think I'm finished criticising this. Very cool civ though. :goodjob:

The vanilla maceman is 8 strength with +50% vs melee
This unit is now 8 strength with +50% vs gunpwder and +25% vs cannon

I think the +50% vs melee is at least as good as the +50% vs gunpowder and +25% vs cannon, especially because the +50% vs gunpowder is only really good against musketman
So your unit is maximum at the same strength now at regular maceman, they don't get the regular bonus UUs has

My suggestion would be: either make it 8 strength, +50% vs melee, +25% vs gunpowder and cannon
Or leave the bonuses the way they are now, and make the unit cost less. About 45 or 60 hammers instead of the 60
Actually, I kinda like the second version better, as the bonus remains more unique, and it seems accurate as these mans are not that heavily armored than vanilla maces

Well, the unit doesn't require any iron or bronze, making it easier to build. Plus, the only bonus the Musketeer (French UU) is one more move... Kinda sad :)
I was trying to keep the unit from becoming overpowered. And I think it gives a unique element to the Civilization. With this unit the maceman is out, so the player would have to more effectively use Crossbowmen and what not while the Rozwi countered the early gunpowder units, effectively holding the enemy back in medieval era warfare until the invent of more powerful rifles :) They weren't suppose to be macemen with bonus against guns. But a unit, and thus unit strategy altogether ;)

That said, I've updated the Rozwi for the third (Last?) time, and now it only cost 50Hammers. Enjoy!
Don't forget to rate! :)

Top Bottom