• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

TSG 245 Announcement

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 245
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ //////////////////////////////////////
Welcome to the 245th game in the GOTM V Training Series!
This Series allows new and old Civilization V fans to try out many features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

MUST READ!
Our most sacred rule: Do not replay any turns!
If you make a mistake, accept it, and try to recover through game-play. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to "1 turn". In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous autosave, then play on the same way you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.
TSG245 Details:
Game Settings:
Player (You): Bismarck - Germany
Victory Condition: Domination
(but all VCs are enabled)
Difficulty: Emperor
Map Type/Size: Fractal / Large
(10 Civs, 20 City-States)
Pace: Marathon, Other: Raging Barbarians ON.
NOTE: this is the first time in the history of GotM, that we present a game on Marathon speed. This will not be a regular feature in the series but rather a one off to ensure that we have used as many features of the game as possible.
Your Unique Characteristics:
UA: Furor Teutonicus:
When clearing a barbarian camp, you will, on top of the 25 gold, have a 67% chance of the last unit joining your side. Also -25% on maintenance costs for all land units.
UB: Hanse (Bank): +5% production boost in every city for every trade route with a city state. Having 8 trade routes going to city states thus gives a 40% production boost.
UU: Panzer (Tank): +14% combat strength (80 instead of 70) and 6 movement points instead of 5 (+20%).
Required DLC: All DLCs.
Starting Era: Ancient
Required game options: None
Enabled game options: Quick Combat, Quick Movement
(You may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Here is where you will start:
TSG245Start.png

The start file is attached below.

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG - Must Read if you are new to the Game of the Month!

Please note:

Spoiler :
:

If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don't post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
Spoiler :

We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
This game runs through June 15th 2024.

@The_J @Blake00

Attachments​

Attachments

• TSG245_Start.Civ5Save
    953.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Awesome! After converting the heathens to Catholicism with Isabella, it's time for a proper Blitzkrieg. Too bad I probably won't make it all the way to Panzers, especially not on Marathon.

I remember that the Fractal maps tend to be very interesting and varied. Anyone got an idea how likely we are to need Optics and Astronomy? I might play a practice game or two but won't have time to play lots of different maps before May 15.

Awesome! After converting the heathens to Catholicism with Isabella, it's time for a proper Blitzkrieg. Too bad I probably won't make it all the way to Panzers, especially not on Marathon.

I remember that the Fractal maps tend to be very interesting and varied. Anyone got an idea how likely we are to need Optics and Astronomy? I might play a practice game or two but won't have time to play lots of different maps before May 15.

In my experience, Astronomy is needed more often than not on Fractal maps.

This could be brutal if you were to slog across the map with CBs and XBs :lol:

The Germans are fun, In many games I set off towards a target with a scout and arrived with an army in tow, hehe. Much unit gifting to the CS ensues.

Real life dominates just now, but I am tempted to go at this, or at least wait and see how much of a slog it might turn into.

Never tried marathon. The ground looks flattest to the east so I think the warrior will cross the river immediately. Archery early, I’m guessing.

With no experience, knowing that everything takes a looong time, is there any reason not to learn the 4 simplest techs first? Another big question for me is whether to actually build a warrior to make sure there is enough muscle. The idea of taking a camp or two with a scout is pretty tantalizing.

Last edited:
I played a practice game yesterday and it is reeeallly slow. I didn't get beyond the classical era.

As for Megalou's question, I think going for writing and getting a library ASAP is probably better to speed up research. Maybe even GL? I have no idea how fast we can expect the AI to get it on Marathon. Lots of things are very different on this speed.

This is exciting! It almost feels like a different game. Not sure if the usual strategies will work here.

One thing I found in the practice game is that you don't need to build lots of units, once you have one or two that are capable of taking out a camp you can just recruit barbarians. There's a bit of luck involved, but on a large map there should be barb camps popping up all the time, pretty much everywhere.

I played a practice game yesterday and it is reeeallly slow. I didn't get beyond the classical era.

As for Megalou's question, I think going for writing and getting a library ASAP is probably better to speed up research. Maybe even GL? I have no idea how fast we can expect the AI to get it on Marathon. Lots of things are very different on this speed.

This is exciting! It almost feels like a different game. Not sure if the usual strategies will work here.

One thing I found in the practice game is that you don't need to build lots of units, once you have one or two that are capable of taking out a camp you can just recruit barbarians. There's a bit of luck involved, but on a large map there should be barb camps popping up all the time, pretty much everywhere.
I also did a test run of about 100 turns. I picked Literature as the first second tier tech.

Your first observation kind of leads to the second one. Maybe GL will take around 30 turns more than a library, but on the other hand you only build about 2-3 units in that time, which isn’t much if you already have 10 from camps. Most of these 10 will be brutes (the odd axeman would be nice but rare) so there may be a shortage of ranged units for attacking cities, which strengthens my resolve not to hard-build any warriors. This in turn puts a lot pf pressure on the starting warrior to get the camp-busting going. I normally let my starting warrior gallop away to the far side of the world but maybe he should be reined in and even enjoy healing time in Berlin.

Does the difficulty level effect what you find in camps? I only played at higher difficulties in the past (usually with raging hordes with the Germans) and there are usually Archers in the camps too. My scout could take these, and the archers can take the brutes.

I dont think many units will have to built, unless the Archers are in short supply?

@sebtanic Did you win your test game or give up?

I think all possible routes in this game are going to take time.

Does the difficulty level effect what you find in camps? I only played at higher difficulties in the past (usually with raging hordes with the Germans) and there are usually Archers in the camps too. My scout could take these, and the archers can take the brutes.

I dont think many units will have to built, unless the Archers are in short supply?

@sebtanic Did you win your test game or give up?

I think all possible routes in this game are going to take time.
i’m guessing that the brutes dominate the first wave of camps, because it takes a long time before either we or the AI discover archery. As for axemen, who are much stronger than archers but lacking in range, I don’t know when they enter the scene, but I think they are more common the higher the difficulty.

i’m guessing that the brutes dominate the first wave of camps, because it takes a long time before either we or the AI discover archery. As for axemen, who are much stronger than archers but lacking in range, I don’t know when they enter the scene, but I think they are more common the higher the difficulty.
Basically you are right. However, a few AIs will pick up Archery very early, so there should be a reasonable chance for some Archers as well.

On Deity it's easy to get archers, because the first wave of camps have brutes, but if you kill them without clearing the camp, the respawning barb has a high chance to be archer.
But since the speed is slower and difficulty level too I don't think archers will be popping up early.

My dream for a marathon Germany game is to somehow get a hand axe upgraded to a knight thousands of years early 😎
On a large or a huge map, there should be a possibility for exactly that. It might be that the AI on Emperor is a little bit too industrious and thus reduce your chances. However, on Warlord or Prince you should have reasonable opportunities.

That's about right for me. I have more units than I need and have even disbanded and/or gifted some already. I've hit my third policy by around turn 90, and science is a little further ahead. Workers are a problem. My local city states are super slow getting theirs out.

Is the opening actions thread still at 100 turns?

I'm imagining the reports to be a bit like this:
"Turn 100 - Just opened Tradition. About to hit Pottery. Scouted most of the continent..."

:)
Do you think I should change it to 250 or 300 turns?

I actually already changed it to 100-300 turns. Acceptable?

Top Bottom