SGOTM 11 - Plastic Ducks

I don't mind Currency either, really. And doing another pre-turn is probably a good idea.

So if we can aggree on a trade, I say just do it!

The bad thing about Toku's demand is that he rates it high for -2. hence there's no way we can OB with him in short time.

I'm OK with currency trade.

We need a trime to deal with the barbarian galley safely. For now, we can just move the WB and galley to a ocean tile or city, then it will move north. I'm not sure whether the barbarian galley will attack our galley (need a test). If not then we can just leave the galley on the clam tile without delay the FB.

Currency trade: alright, expect it in a few minutes.

Barb galley: the one thing I'm afraid of is Justinian's wb under our galley. The galley will start chasing it almost for certain.
What I'd do: Let's see what direction Justinian's wb takes, then lead the galley after his wb. We then hide in an ocean/city tile and let him chase the wb away for us.

I'd like to avoid an expensive Trireme for as long as possible.

The barb galley will attack our units (galleys included from experience - not the same AI script as leaders)

Here we go, uploaded.

Trade done.
Spoiler :

Available techs.... me guessing Toku had a monster start!
Spoiler :

Suggestions:
Sell PH to Saladin or wait next turn for Alpha+PH <-> Monarchy, and to Mehmed when he gets a bit more gold.

Gift Alpha to Toku next turn, sell Poly for 30 gold.

Alpha <-> Mono+gold from Justinian
Alpha <-> IW whoever has most gold left.

I'd hold on to Mathematics... let's us delay HG longer. (and more chances to grab MoM)

@kossin
You still have a couple of turn left in your turnset, right, so basically continue on plan with the trades, and see what the barb galley does?

Trades proposed sounds good. I suppose we could wait a turn with everything and take monarchy as well... not that we really need it or anything though, so I'm kinda indifferent on it (I'll go with majority :) ... I generally trade too much :)

I'll wait for a bit more input before moving on with the trades.

If I can help it, I'll lead the barb galley away (east at all costs - Justinian won't have OB with ZY so his wb will be eaten. After that it would be close enough to go on a pillage mission of ZY, hopefully leaving us alone).

Updated test game so far... it's a bit difficult to have the same research/gpt at this point but I think the rest is pretty similar.

Attachments

• SGOTM11 TEST BC-0500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    156.1 KB · Views: 61
I'm ok with your plan, Kossin.
I'd also wait 1 turn to trade Alpha around. I don't know if Saladin will agree to trade Monarchy for a reasonable price, yet, but we can try it (like Bugg, I trade a lot ^^ I don't limit my trades at all, actually... counting on you to set the limits).

Just one thing :
"Alpha <-> IW whoever has most gold left."
The phrasing is ambiguous : I think this trade should be done first. Or just after the trade with Saladin. Well... not last :) The AIs shouldn't refuse it, but we never know.

I'd hold on all the trades until next turn so that we have a better view what AIs are researching. We don't need Monarch for a long time.

I'm fine to use the WB to lead the barbarian galley to Zara's land.

Delhi's 8th citizen can work on the farm.

Suggestions:
Sell PH to Saladin or wait next turn for Alpha+PH <-> Monarchy, and to Mehmed when he gets a bit more gold.

Gift Alpha to Toku next turn, sell Poly for 30 gold.

Alpha <-> Mono+gold from Justinian
Alpha <-> IW whoever has most gold left.

I'd hold on to Mathematics... let's us delay HG longer. (and more chances to grab MoM)

I don't think it's a good idea to spread Alphabet early on Emp.
Since AIs' tech rate is terrible, we can't get much from trade. So we'd better not give out Alphabet so early to accelerate their tech trade. I prefer giving out Currency/MC/CoL to Alphabet.

However, I don't minding giving Alphabet to Saladin for Monarchy. No other AI has appropriate tech to trade with him for Alphabet.

Apparently Monarchy is the very next tech to get. Then sell it for IW, Mono, etc. So I suggest:

Next turn: Alphabet+PH <=> Monarchy + money (Saladin)

Monarchy <=> IW+money (Izzy)
Monarchy <=> Mono + money (Meh)
Edit: Optional: Then sell Monarchy to anyone else for gold

Try to trade with Izzy and Meh earlier. We will probably not have the possibility after converted to Confu/Hindu.

@ All:

I'm not available to take the next set either this time.
I'll be away tomorrow and return Sunday night. I suppose the next round will be played early next week so I will be able to discuss it as well.

My suggestions for the next set:
1) try to improve the relation with Toku with MC and before OR. Though we don't need his Ivory any more.
2) build Aqueduct and Forge in turn in Delhi. Try to make sure we can whip 2-pop into each of them and give overflow to wonders. Be careful it's a bit complicated to control the hammers given the multipliers (Bureau+OR+Forge). Put some hammers on Worker if needed.
3) The next city on the island would be fine. I don't mind setting it on the northern Sugar, especially if our Galley lose the battle.

I don't think it's a good idea to spread Alphabet early on Emp.
Since AIs' tech rate is terrible, we can't get much from trade. So we'd better not give out Alphabet so early to accelerate their tech trade. I prefer giving out Currency/MC/CoL to Alphabet.

[...]

My suggestions for the next set:
1) try to improve the relation with Toku with MC and before OR. Though we don't need his Ivory any more.
Good point about Alphabet and trade opportunities.
As for Toku and MC, why not rather feed him with Monarchy ? If we're going to spread the tech anyways...
Currency is hard to give away if we keep Alpha as a semi monopoly and wan't to delay the trade of Maths.

Minor point :
Seeing the number of zealots/theocracy lovers, spreading Monarchy may accelerate the building of the AP ! Maybe it's too early to decide what final religion we want to adopt (being AP resident would be convenient).

@dingding
Alright, thanks for the warning.

@BIC
Can you take the next set?

Tough call to say who'll get AP here. I'd say Buddhist or Hindu as Justinian is busy building units.

I'd still sell Poly to Toku for his gold this turn.

I'll wait for next turn before trading the rest however.

t140
Poly<->30 gold Toku
Delhi 8th pop on farm

t141
Alpha+PH <-> Monarchy with Saladin
If he doesn't want to take the deal (starts researching Alpha) then I can trade Currency for it maybe - or trade Alpha for IW depending.

t142
is the end of my set anyway so we can decide what to do afterwards.

I've got time to play today again so if that seems acceptable I'll go ahead.

@kossin:
I assume what you say about the turns in your post is in addition to previous plan?

Then that's fine :)

Good luck!

I can't play before tonight (8~9 hours) after all... if anyone wants to take it, feel free to.

Where do we want the island city? (and do we alter the plan to get it next?)
S sugar gets to use the clams but loses 1 hill.
N sugar has low food but gains 1 hill.

Since we appear to be whipping pretty much everything, I'd say S sugar is better.

I'd still go for triple-clams first seeing as we might not be able to work the coastal clams for a little while.

@kossin

I guess alpha alone should be enough to get +4 relation from Toku and Poly could be used to get some cash later.

Could you stop in the beginning of next turn? We can have a better view of trade opportunity then.

I we decide to lure the barbarian galley, then WB should park on coastal tile, be careful of the route.

There are another site for the island city, E of the south sugar. However, I agree South sugar site can develop the fastest in early and middle term.

Yes, 3 clam site still goes 1st.

I am willing to trade away any techs to emperor AIs to help their tech, their tech rate present no menace to us. Math is an exception right now, but I guess some of them will research it very soon.

Alright, here's the end of my set. It's all yours now BIC!

Played t140 as we had planned with the addition of Delhi's 8th citizen on farm instead of mine. Started luring the barb galley east and Justinian's wb is running west so it's all good so far. Galley is parked on ocean tile

t141 - stopped, saved, uploaded.

Spoiler :

As you can see we can't get Monarchy from Saladin... he's put quite a few beakers into Alphabet apparently. Forgot to check if we can get IW for it however. Justinian also managed to get Alphabet.

I thought about putting the island city 1E of the S sugar again... it has some merits for certain and can borrow the fish for growing but the problem is Calcutta is very small and doesn't have food to grow without it... still prefer on S sugar to use one of the clams.

@Duckweed
I always wondered how you manage to get the mouse cursor in your screenshots... it's always more easy to see when you try pointing something out. Are you using some external screenshot program?

Allright!

So.. BIC is up. Are we reverting more to the 24h/48h/24h plan from now on then, to keep things moving?

BiC posts a got it (potentially with an initial plan). Everyone gets their say. Final plan posted, off we go?

I would most certainly hope so.

We're the 6th (/13) team when you look at turns played so we're not doing too poorly on that level.

Anyway, it looks like settler-expansion is coming to an end so it should be more simple from now on.

Next techs: Aesthetics-Literature-Paper (trade maps!! and get intel on what is where).

If we can manage it, I'd most certainly consider capturing the silk city N of Mehmed. The more required resources we own by ourselves, the least headache it will be to secure them for victory.

@Duckweed
I always wondered how you manage to get the mouse cursor in your screenshots... it's always more easy to see when you try pointing something out. Are you using some external screenshot program?

Yes, I am using a free program called "Gadwin Printscreen". It's more powerful, but not stable, sometime it needs a few tries to get the right picture.

Do we want another preset for the trades? The iron revealed by IW is going to change the FW move a lot. I think we still need a detail plan until ~AD, 6 workers' movement are not very complicate.

Will take a look at the save tonight.

I have the save :)

I'll post my draft in one hour or so.

@Kossin:
I don't know what software Duckweed uses for screens, but I used to have Snapshot and it worked ok (it is free as well, obviously).
You could take fullscreens or click&drag pretty easily. It was simple to use. There also were some useless features that I can't remember.
I didn't check all the softwares for taking screens but that one was satisfactory (to me). Maybe some others would be as simple but requiring less resources, I don't know...
EDIT: arf ! Beaten by a few seconds... Well now I know what Duckweed uses !

Top Bottom