DMOC's DEITY Game #3 - Willem van Oranje

The horses to the south might be worth claiming (they sell very well). Otherwise, your current cities should be enough for your purposes with a nice long river. Paya is an attractive move here - I'd make sure you trade aesthetics to a civ that won't broker it away or build the wonders very quickly. Probably Boudica out of this bunch.

I like the idea of selling horses. :goodjob: However I may need them later if I opt to use cuirassiers or cavalry later.

Actually, I will need 1 more city to meet my "purposes" as I think Large maps require 7 forges, universities, theatres, etc. before building their respective national wonders. However, there is clearly some excellent room for settling.

If possible, my aim is to trade Aesthetics to either Boudica or Sitting Bull. I would do Tokugawa, except he likely would not give me anything in return.

I was thinking about what wonders I should try to aim for, and what do you think of this list, in order of priority?

• The Great Library
  • The Parthenon
  • Shwedagon Paya
  • The Statue of Zeus

I have accelerating resources for all of the wonders (marble, gold, and ivory). The Paya would be nice if I need to stay in Free Religion, but the Parthenon could be even more valuable if I mass-run some Great People. The Great Library, of course, helps me with Great Scientists which I need to keep in the tech race. The Statue of Zeus would be a nice cultural boost to a city but I would need to build 3 monuments first, which is kind of a waste.

I'd skip SoZ unless you need the culture. Paya should suffice for culture battles.

I believe you'll have 2 horse resources if you settle the southern one, freeing one up for sale.

You can fit a 7th city up north between the gold/copper (sharing some FP with the capital) if you get boxed in.

SoZ is a total waste. You do it only for denial purposes and even then only if you have the monuments ready and ivory is present. You do have ivory but monuments are total waste so you definitely shouldn't go there.

If possible, try and get Math with Aesth for accelerated chops, chop out the Parth in Floodplain City and proceed on to Lit while prechopping capital for the GLib. While the Paya does give diplomatic breathing room it doesn't take priority over either of the Marble wonders. I mean, it's a nice boost and FR is definitely something to consider but the Paya also requires a tech detour unless you trade for med. Poly requirement for Lit is not a good tech either but the library outweights the demerits and it opens up the path to Monarchy.

Well, I'm sure you'll weight all these matters before making the call. As you know, deity is so much about diplo that you really need to make the right play in order to succeed.

Round 4: 775 BC to 215 BC [31 Turns] - Dual Wonder Construction

At the start of the round, I found more ways to tease the AI (via the Obsolete method ;) ). I'm still confused at what Peter was trying to accomplish with this city below. I would later find out that the city has no iron either.

Spoiler :

When I researched Aesthetics, I checked the trade screen nervously ... hoping I would be first ... and I was! :goodjob: Also, more stupidity by Peter ... notice that he still does not have Mysticism. I don't either, but I'm Creative and he is not.

Spoiler :

One of the round's objectives was to get foreign trade routes. The road on the hill would finally accomplish that. Don't be afraid to build roads in your opponent's cities if necessary, although that was not the case here.

Spoiler :

Finally! The first technology trade in the game (for me at least)! I had to research into Alphabet because the silly AI never likes to do dead-even beaker-beaker trades.

Spoiler :

A few turns later, I negotiated the first blockbuster deal of the game! I was able to postpone this trade for a few turns by checking to see what Pericles was offering for Alphabet and Aesthetics together. More turns delayed means more turns I have to my advantage trying to build wonders. Also, I did not live in fear of Boudica trading around Aesthetics because she is the only Buddhist and it is almost like a monopoly technology to her.

This is an advantage of doing the Alphabet - Aesthetics trade, because you can sometimes find 1 or 2 civilizations without either technologies.

Spoiler :

But before that, I founded another city, Horsie City. Reasons?

• It grabs my third source of marble (the second of which I will connect)
  • It will get my only horse resource (as well as banana)
  • It is far enough from Tokugawa and Peter to avoid close borders demerits
  • The city would be settled by the AI soon anyway
  • If enough culture is in, I can either culturally flip the barbarian city or have visibility in the barbarian city center, so I don't have to waste time putting troops next to the city
  • I can settle other cities in my "backyard" later

Spoiler :

I have to thank Peter and Tokugawa. Peter suicided a swordsman and a chariot into the city which formerly held four health archers. Tokugawa then proceeded to attack but left behind two injured archers. Meanwhile, I had military by the city, so you can imagine what happened. (Note: I suicided one axeman first, but then attacked later with my more experienced ones, trying to get a 10 XP unit.)

Spoiler :

Back near the capital, I had a steadly supply of workers preparing to pre-chop the forests around the city. Notice that I am building research in the capital in order to get the prerequisite technologies (Mysticism, Polytheism, and Literature) out of the way. I kept the mine on the marble in the capital, but I quarried the other two that I had.

Spoiler :

In terms of diplomacy, I received some splendid news in 425 BC! Now I don't have to worry about Tokugawa (or Saladin and Pericles ...) attacking me. Boudica, however, has that fist next to her name so she is planning a war. However, a few turns later, she would move out of WHEOOHRN mode. No worries then.

Spoiler :

Finally ... I get my academy.

Spoiler :

What is with the stupid AI's demands? I ignored it, of course. Do I really want to war against Tokugawa, one of the top civs in this game? :shake:

Spoiler :

I razed the barbarian city here, as the city would not bring me anything new and was too close to Tokugawa. I was careful to micromanage my attacks so that my most experienced unit would be able to get 10 experience points (IIRC he won a battle that gained him 3 points). Here he is!

With marble and my level 4 unit, I will have the Heroic Epic built in no time. I don't have a good city to build it, so I guess I might put it in "Gold City" since it's pretty close to Peter's borders.

Spoiler :

Woo hoo, more AI stupidity! I have no need for copper at the moment as there are no more barbarian cities and no military threat at all. My advice si to always look for the opportunity to sell your strategic resources!

Spoiler :

The turn 151 announcement was about land area (again?). I am fifth, which is very good. The other good news here is that the one unknown AI does not have a lot of land area.

Spoiler :

By the way, remember that stupid city I showed you at the start of the round? Here it is again, and Peter has certainly improved a lot of the city. :lol: And he even has a settler going to more jungle area! (By contrast, look at how much better Horsie City is ... and that city was founded much later!)

Spoiler :

My goodness ... Pericles just can't shut up! :shake: I can't just cancel deals with my CLOSEST NEIGHBOR!

Spoiler :

Due to my massive forest, worker, and marble power, I have gotten through the brunt of The Great Library construction on the first turn after reseraching Litearture. I had to cancel some chops and pre-build roads (see the signs!) in order to align the chops together. This is why worker management is so crucial.

Spoiler :

Sorry ... I couldn't resist seeing all that gold Peter had there. Of course it meant correcting yet another one of the AI's errors.

Spoiler :

The following trade to get Calendar is actually pretty important for me, since I have incense, banana, and a LOT of spices in my land. Normally I just ignore Calendar until the Liberalism era, but this is an exception.

Spoiler :

And ... here we are. The conclusion of the round. The dual wonder construction is over. :goodjob: The Parthenon reduced the Great Scientist generation time from 19 to 13 turns.

Spoiler :

Aaargh ... all of this work and I'm still second to last in score. :mad:

(By the way Pericles is getting murdered by Tokugawa in their war ... I'm thinking of bribing Tokugawa to end the war, but he wants an incredible amount of beakers for that. Mark my words ... Boudica and Tokugawa will be monsters this game.)

I have actually already played a few turns ahead, but I am going to end the round here since I am going to be busy for the rest of the day.

Incidentally, how come I'm not seeing any "Oh it's DMOC the slow player" and "This is DMOC! His ALC took 5 months!" and "DMOC! The guy who never updates regularly!" :lol:

Looking good so far.

Peter's nothing city suggests he's pretty cramped and desperate for land. Seems like a good use of those axemen while you're safe from war for a few turns to get some scouting done. Down south too - I wonder how far that jungle goes.

Looking good so far.

Peter's nothing city suggests he's pretty cramped and desperate for land. Seems like a good use of those axemen while you're safe from war for a few turns to get some scouting done. Down south too - I wonder how far that jungle goes.

Up to the point where I've played, I've moved one of the four axes in Desert City to Horsie City, then moved the warrior there exploring into Russian territory.

Don't worry too much about the decline in posts DMOC, this is a fantastic game :goodjob:! I'm really enjoying your insight into worker micromanagement (specifically the timing of chops). As well as the resource trade thing (I'm normally loathe to trade away strategic resources, especially if i only have one of them!).
My only question for you is, why didn't you try to settle a bit more aggressively and grab some more land in the jungle to the south? I know that it would take a long time to clear, but I always follow the mantra land is power. Were you worried that you may overexpand a bit and risk a DOW, or could you just simply not spare the hammers?

The Parthenon is great with a multi-GP-Farm setup.

The more GP Farms you have, the harder it is to get them all working in sync. Although 4 GP Farms is typically a headache, 3 GP Farms is more manageable.

However, I still think it is worth the effort, even with the Great Library. If you're interested in Great Merchants, then the GPP pollution from the Great Library and National Epic can ruin your efforts. The unpolluted GP Farm solves this problem, despite having lower GPP per turn.

I have now played up until 600 AD or so. I have won Liberalism (though the race was very close between me and 3 AI's.). My aim is to try and build up a cavalry army to rip through backwards Tokugawa.

Can you believe this? Tokugawa and Pericles (in ~600 AD) are STILL at war like they have been literally the WHOLE GAME after turn 50 or so. :lol: Boudica meanwhile has switched in and out of WHEOOHRN mode twice already.

any chance that booty might be waring with the unknown civ?

I've noticed before in games that the AI will "switch out and back into" WHEOOHRN. Quite often I think that they're always in war prep mode, but other refusals take precedence (hence no WHEOOHRN). I was going to ask about this.

Sorry about the lack of an update. I was planning on playing a "reasonable" amount, but when I started playing on Saturday night, next thing I knew it was Sunday morning! So ... I'll most likely finish up the game before writing it up. It's gotten so good.

Sneak Preview:

Spoiler :
I have several cavalries by Tokugawa's last city. Unfortunately it was an island so I had to whip 2 east indiamen to do it.

All of this work and I'm only in second place in score ... :mad: Boudica ... ugh ... 30+ city empire. :crazyeye:

Lolz @ the sneak preview DMOC. Large maps sound like fun.

If you like managing 20+ cities that is. :lol:

To be honest, I am at 1400 AD right now. And I'm not sure if this game is winnable.

How often do you have TWENTY SIX freaking cities (and none are junk really), and can research a tech like Railroad in SIX turns on epic speed (4 in normal) and you don't feel the game is winnable? What I really hope is that Boudica tries to delete half of her army. He he. This is what makes Big and Small maps so challenging ... because it's easy for AI's to get 20+ cities, or in Boudica's case, 30+.

Anyway I should stop talking and post ... I'll get the round up today.

Back near the capital, I had a steadly supply of workers preparing to pre-chop the forests around the city. Notice that I am building research in the capital in order to get the prerequisite technologies (Mysticism, Polytheism, and Literature) out of the way.

Due to my massive forest, worker, and marble power, I have gotten through the brunt of The Great Library construction on the first turn after reseraching Litearture. I had to cancel some chops and pre-build roads (see the signs!) in order to align the chops together. This is why worker management is so crucial.
Could you care explain for me mere mortal player why... Why you could not simply drop chops at any timne in if you were building research anyway?

How often do you have TWENTY SIX freaking cities (and none are junk really), and can research a tech like Railroad in SIX turns on epic speed (4 in normal) and you don't feel the game is winnable?

this is the fun of playing deity
i.e. none

^

You are correct, if I am building research, then it doesn't matter when the chops come in. (I think if you build research and you chop, the chop is transferred to whenever you start producing something real.)

However, if I was building something else (such as a barracks, etc.) then I would save my chops. It's just a habit of mine. I guess when I wrote that I assumed I was building something other than research or wealth.

PS: Photobucket has FINALLY uploaded all of my pictures ... time to post them soon.

this is the fun of playing deity
i.e. none

Ohhhh but I will beat Boudica ... I promise you.

Top Bottom