Cottage, hamlet, village, and town!

fuch1141

Adeptus Mechanicus
Yes, yes I know many of you including me have nostalgia of civ4. Civ5 is still a promising game and it have many in-game mechanism for modders to mod lots of good features of civ4. For example: town

This is a small demonstration of making a cottage, halmet, village, and town. Yes, printing press +1 gold on village and town, free thought still +1 beaker on town. I miss the good old day of civ4, but I do think civ5 will bring a new era of strategy game. Cheer!:D

(Note: Cottage, hamlet, village, and town borrow the identical model as trading post, and the icon of build a cottage is a blank one)

Attachments

• Town Demo (v 1).zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 354
Can't try it out at the moment,

but if this is what i hope it is.....

*crossing fingers*

"Note: Cottage, hamlet, village, and town borrow the identical model as trading post"

Awww :'( *sadface*
I cant wait until it's the beautiful little towns as in Civ4 again.
It made the landscape look interesting, with small towns popping up here and there, as if your lands were truly growing, rather than some friggin purple tents arranged in a square (on a hex, how ironic is that).

:D Keep up the good work, i know we'll get there!

Indeed!
cottage can grow or be pillaged like it does in civ4, and even there are policy mechanism boosting growth rate!

However the information text won't show how many turns are left to the next level, because it requires lua functions to work around.;)

to Baleur:
I also miss small towns spread all round the landscape!
As far as I know that there is only one model for each improvement in a single era, and it won't change with ethnical difference.
It might have problem for small town matching with every country's city style.:mad:

Unless there is a way of somehow placing "cities" (pop 1 looks about the size of a hamlet, a bit too big perhaps), but obviously without city functionality and such, just like an improvement to build a new city that cant grow beyond pop 1 (visually), and just call it a Hamlet and give it improvement-stats like +1 :commerce:
Maybe we can even scale them down, much like you can scale down unit models and such, to have nice mini-cities (cottages, hamlets, etc).
Just to trick the game into using the ethnic-specific buildings, while this new built "city" is in fact nothing but an improvement in terms of game statistics and functionality.

If you know what i mean :)

Unless there is a way of somehow placing "cities" (pop 1 looks about the size of a hamlet, a bit too big perhaps), but obviously without city functionality and such, just like an improvement to build a new city that cant grow beyond pop 1 (visually), and just call it a Hamlet and give it improvement-stats like +1 :commerce:
Maybe we can even scale them down, much like you can scale down unit models and such, to have nice mini-cities (cottages, hamlets, etc).
Just to trick the game into using the ethnic-specific buildings, while this new built "city" is in fact nothing but an improvement in terms of game statistics and functionality.

If you know what i mean :)

Do that and I'll definitly love this.

I've spend the last 3 days trying to get this done, but it seems as if landmarks (that's the art defines for terrain improvements) cannot be modded at present time.

Fireaxis locked this.

Firaxis seems to have a list of what we are allowed to mod and aren't allowed to mod. It's very disheartening. I'll test this out as it is something I feel was sorely lacking in CIV 5 (i.e. money doesn't grow).

Wasnt civ5 supposed to be more moddable than ever? ^_^
How are FFH mods and such going to be done if we cant alter improvements and such.

Wasnt civ5 supposed to be more moddable than ever? ^_^
How are FFH mods and such going to be done if we cant alter improvements and such.

Truely, you can accomplished almost anything by overhauling DLL --but almost impossible for nonprogrammers. ;)
(Tracing code plus modding in non-work time is a huge task:lol:)

The moddablity that civ5 is superior to civ4 might be a decent IDE, database-oriented data. However It doesn't mean it is easier to mod than civ4 was.

May I use your mod and create a new one with it, using unique texture art for every cottage upgrade step?

Why there is not any icon of new improvement in the worker's building menu? If it's not defined as the <IconAtlas> tag in the improvements XML file, I couldn't find other place where it's defined. Do you guys know how to resolve this issue? Thank you!

Top Bottom