Strategy discussion

@Mxzs: With the 3.13 patch you can also trade for resources you already have when trading with vassals, even if its not a corporate resource. (I just discovered this playing as Germany, when people kept offering me dye which i already had). So an alternate route for trading for spice would be vassalizing Khmer and India if/when it respawns.

And, without further ado, having noticed the strategy guide for Germany is mostly useless... (I'll note, i haven't actually won the German UHV, but only because i won a cultural victory first. As usual, i play on monarch).

Germany UHV
The Germany UHV is actually remarkably easy, as it gives you plenty of time to acquire the necessary land. The hard part is going to be maintaining a decent research rate in the face of a Giga-empire. The other danger is accidentally winning in another way before achieving the UHV. You will finish with something like 20% of the land area, and will likely be pretty close to a domination victory. You will also have to be careful about culture, as its certainly possible to achieve a cultural victory before 1940.

UHV:
(1) Control Rome, Greece, France by 1870.
(2) Control Russia, Scandinavia, and England by 1940.
(3) Be the first to finish the tech tree.

Note that "Russia" is european russia. Basically, everything to the Urals + 1-2 more tiles.

Opening moves:
While settling Berlin on the spot looks decent, I actually prefer going East one tile and founding Posen. The importance of being on a river cannot be overestimated in BTS, especially since you will get a lot of use out of levees. Further, this will give Mainz and your capitol more room, and these will be two of your best cities. Send your two other settlers towards Russia. I founded Reval on the Baltic and Landau on the Black Sea (2 tiles south of the wheat and one tile east of the iron). This will help keep Russia contained, and mean you'll have to deal with General Winter far less. It also will open Moscow to early assault, which will help force them to collapse. Defend Posen with a longbow and send the other two longbows after your settlers.

Mainz is going to flip to you almost immediately, so don't bother attacking them. Instead, take your axemen and swordsmen and send them down towards Mediolanum. When Mainz flips, grab its axeman and send him south too. Whether you want to keep or raze Mediolanum is up to you, but its going to be boxed in by Rome, Marseilles, and Mainz, and in danger of revolt until you can capture Marseilles from the french. Regardless, after Mediolanum falls, heal up and send your troops (all of them) towards Rome, leaving no defense behind. You should have enough to capture Rome, possibly with some reinforcements built back home. Rome is an incredibly important acquisition - you can build the shrine there for income (allowing 90-100% research for the early game), and it has the Colosseum and great production squares.

During this time, peace with your neighbors is the optimal strategy. Try to cultivate Isabella, Ragnar, and Elizabeth, although Elizabeth is usually frigid and unwilling to be helpful. Keeping Peter happy is a good idea, but not usually possible. Be nice to France until you're ready to strike, then be ruthless.

France:
After Rome is yours, get ready to attack Marseilles. You'll notice that with the fall of Mediolanum french culture spills across the top of the Italian peninsula. This is actually useful to you, as it means they'll send workers there to improve the land. Build catapults, axemen, and swordsmen in Posen and Mainz and stage them on the stone near Mainz. Have Rome build a defensive unit after it comes out of revolt so you can take all your remaining units with you. When you're ready, DOW france and march on marseilles. 2-3 catapults with 5-6 total axemen/swordsmen should be more than sufficient. And make sure you grab all those conveniently vulnerable workers on your way to Marseilles. The reason to move the catapults and some melee units from the north is (1) you won't have to cross teh river, (2) you'll get a nice forested hill to sit on while besieging, (3) you'll cut off Marseilles from the rest of france by sitting on their road, preventing reinforcements.

Once you have Marseilles, you'll also have exhausted most of the french forces not dedicated to defense. If they'll give away tech for peace, make peace (for the moment), but keep producing units for a push on Paris. After you take Paris you can make peace temporarily (possibly again).

The Future:
By about this time you should also be starting to garrison 2-3 troops (preferably longbow/crossbow/pikeman if available - upgrading to muskets as appropriate) in Landau and Reval, as Peter will start getting antsy. Build walls/castles and sit tight - you'll want to deal with him after the rest of France and Greece are yours.

The rest of the game basically plays itself at this point. Finish taking france, grab Greece and Constantinople. Always refuse Congress requests, and strong garrisons in Reval and Landau should hold off the Russians and the Vikings. The Turks never DOWed me, so a smaller garrison in Constantinople is probably acceptable.

I'd take Russia out first. They're more annoying than the other two, less likely to like you, and you can develop that land to help with your tech race (see below). Keep most of their cities, though I razed two that were just within the region of european russia. I'd follow up with the vikings, and save England for last. In Scandinavia I'd raze about 1/2 of the cities - they build far too close together. And with how many cities you're going to have at that point, razing a city you've just conquered is actually a net-positive for stability. Between Russia and Scandinavia, I'd take a break from military production to pump out some workers and develop the Russian land (likely poorly done and sparsely done by the Russians) before getting into your next war.

There are three good reasons for saving england till last: (1) they'll have techs you can steal (see below), (2) you'll want bombers to soften up their cities before invading, (3) they tend to settle all their GP in London, so by all means give them time to generate more. You may also want to take out Amsterdam. Especially if Spain looks likely to do so. Keep the Spanish in Spain, you'll be happier that way. And keep Spain happy. Your empire will be big enough without adding the Iberian Peninsula to it.

Technology:
One thing to keep in mind is tech trading. Always extort techs if you can. Making peace with France for a tech is always worth it. Tech trading stops being worthwhile during the early Industrial Age because the computer wants so many techs per tech they give up. Remember you're going to outproduce virtually everyone, so you should be able to win any military conflicts. (You'll also out-tech russia, which will help a lot).

Make sure you cottage a lot of those grasslands. I turned Reval into a cottage farm, leaving only a few forests to lumbermill later. Chopping the forests let me build up my infrastructure, and the cottages were invaluable in staying near the top in the tech race. As you conquer russia, turn most of its grassland cities into cottage farms. Similarly, Scandinavia should be turned into a windmill/cottage land. This will counter the negative effect being a giga-empire will have on your tech rate.

Finally, prioritize espionage buildings after research and cash buildings. You will eventually generate over 1000 espionage points/turn without any commerce investment, and when you're generating about 300-500 per turn you can supplement your research with tech stealing. Focus your espionage on one opponent - i found that England was the most advanced, followed by the Vikings. I stole 4-5 techs from England over the course of the game, including flight, artillery, and democracy. This will cement your tech lead and give you a jumpstart towards finishing the tech race. Most of the advanced civs are also on your kill list, so they won't actually be able to beat you to finishing the tech tree.

As to which techs to go for, I'd let military concerns and important wonders determine the path. Also, levees and factories (assembly plant) are a huge priority. I didn't actually prioritize Industrialism, but I didn't let it sit forever either.

Civics/Religion:
You'll get Christianity early, adopt it as your state religion. I'd also switch to monarchy/vassalage/slavery/organized religion at the beginning. Later, you'll want to switch to Occupation. Any other changes can wait until you have Cristo Redemptor, at which point you'll probably want representation, free speech or nationhood, emancipation, and possibly free religion. Do not adopt Bureaucracy, you have far too many cities.

Supporting your giga-empire:
In addition to lots of cottages, you'll also want to build or acquire both the Spiral Miniaret and the University of Sankore. Build christian buildings everywhere. Add the Sistine Chapel for good border control. In fact, your production is so amazing, you can probably build *every* wonder that becomes available during the game. Remember to be careful about accidentally winning a cultural victory. (For a similar reason, you'll likely have your choice of corporations - while sid's sushi company and creative construction are almost certainly *better* for you than the non-culture producing equivalents in terms of hammer/food production (marginally, and because of resources available), you might want to take the ones that *don't* produce culture. I grabbed the culture producers to maximize hammers/food... and i won a cultural victory instead).

Also note that your land has few happiness resources. You'll get Dye in france, gems and furs in russia, and silver in Scandinavia. Cultivate India (on respawn) and the Khmer as trading partners, and you'll probably desire their health resources eventually too. Eventually Spain and Portugal will also be good providers of these resources.

Endgame:
I had the 1870 condition done by ~1500 and the 1940 condition done by 1890. After that its just an end-run down the tech tree. Pop golden ages as often as you can manage. You'll probably want to swap Occupation for Viceroyalty at some point - i had 3 vassals (Portugal, Turkey, India) by the end of the game, and had had Portugal since sometime around 1300 or 1400.

@Mxzs: With the 3.13 patch you can also trade for resources you already have when trading with vassals, even if its not a corporate resource. (I just discovered this playing as Germany, when people kept offering me dye which i already had). So an alternate route for trading for spice would be vassalizing Khmer and India if/when it respawns.

Thanks! I've edited that insight into the post.

So here's my guide to mongolian uhv.

Nice write up! I just completed a Mongol UHV in Vanilla and I have a few thoughts on what works best...

Start
The start is absolutely crucial to achieve the first UHV of controlling China by 1300. For me, it's a no-brainer to settle on the Horse resource North East of your starting position. This gives you the ability straight away to upgrade the horse archers you've been given to Keshiks and let's you produce more asap! You could build one tile west of the horse, but typically I've found China to be so culturally strong that until you gain control of Beijing you're not going to get the horse. So settle Ulan-Ude there...

Immediately declare war on China (1st turn) and head south with 1-2 Keshiks. You should arrive at the gates of Baotou. It should then flip to you next turn..

Send your other settlers North and West. Not only does this get them out of the way from any stray chinese, it will also allow you to quickly hook up the iron and start building citys along the silk road
MongolStart.JPG

Next, head south of Beijing (it's probably too strong for you to take immediately) with all of your keshiks and go for the weaker chinese cities. Wuhan should be razed immediately, which, when you approach Fuzhou and Chonqing will flip to you. Pick off any stray units and head back North. By this time you should have achieved goal number one!

MongolKillChina.JPG

Take Beijing and now cocentrate all of your efforts in building the silk road west and more keshiks.

Econonomy and Tech

Your economy will be in the toilet for the whole game. Don't worry about that - you should get enough money from razing/capturing cities. If not, you can always trade away some of the lesser techs to get some more cash.

I agree with wr4th about the importance of engineering and calendar but I have one additional essential tech: drama. Once you've built all of those nice cities along the silk road, what' the quickest way to expand them and get you closer to the magic 12%? (I'm playing it on vanilla - I didn't know it got so much easier - 10%!!! with warlords :( ). Once I got drama, I killed all research and hoofed my culture to 80%..

Expansion strategy to get that 12%

This was a tricky one for me. Arabia was far to strong even for my Keshiks, India was going to take too long and Russia has the general winter...

I decided to build, build, build settlers. Then I built some more settlers (in the end I built 17 cities). My Keshiks were enough to take the Russian border cities who then sued for peace giving me some more cash. I then took a couple of Indian cities in Persia and let the culture slider do the rest.

I got one great artist in Beijing which I used to culture bomb kazan and that was about it.. Probably could have got to the 12% faster by prioritising another GA sooner...

You need to start early though though... There are not many turns for you to achive this after capturing china (only 30!!!)

So in 1500, I get my arch and then all I have to do is raze some more cities in the india sub-continent. By this time I had about 10 Keshiks ready to invade so it was pretty easy. I deliberately did not raze deli to avoid other citties flipping. No goo when you want to raze!!

Game ended very quickly after that in 1520! Here's the final map:
MongoUHV1.JPG

View attachment Rikard_AD-1520 Turn 255_19.Civ4Replay

Could anyone write an Aztec UHV? the one in the wiki is pre-Conquerors event and pre-BTS.

Well, I really hate playing Civs that make it into the industrial/modern eras because turns take forever, or i'd probably have written some of those. However, I have done the Mayans...

Maya UHV
You've got a pretty tight UHV, but a UP which will help you out enormously. If you play viceroy you can seriously out-tech the europeans to gunpowder. If you're sensible and play monarch you'll find the europeans are ahead in tech when they reach you.

Early Game:
Found Tikal on the spot and send the other settler to found Tenochtitlan above the dye on a hill. Tenochtitlan should immediately build a monument so it will get the stone hooked up for the Temple. Your tech path should grab Sailing/Mathematics/CoL in some order (it doesn't really matter) followed by Calendar, and Tenochtitlan should start building the Temple of Kulkulcan no later than when you start researching Calendar. Once Tenochtitlan starts the Temple, you should chop all forests next to Tenochtitlan (mining as appropriate), and can chop most of the others - i'd leave one north of the mountain to your north and the one on the game to the west. This will be important for when the Aztecs spawn.

When Calendar finishes you'll get to see the year. Chances are you'll be pretty close to 600. I've done the Mayan start about 4 times with this research path, in 3 i made it to Calendar in time, and the last was 610AD. So some focus on commerce in tiles used by your cities is a good idea, because it really is that tight. If you missed, start over - its not that painful. The Temple should finish shortly after Calendar - i'm usually done by 750AD - which is plenty of time. Enjoy your golden age, and finish any other infrastructure you need. You'll also need a military force - archers are the best since there will be tons of dog soldiers from the north. For this reason, after Calendar you should grab archery next, followed by Bronzeworking for Slavery.

Until the Aztecs spawn, you shouldn't found any other cities in north america. Any close (and easily defended) cities will also try to flip to the Aztecs, which is bad. However, settlers and your UU Holkan (req:Bronzeworking) can travel through jungle, so you might decide to colonize venezuela, colombia, and brazil (but i haven't done so). Shortly before the Aztecs spawn the wave of native and barbarians slows down; move all your forces south of the dye near Tenochtitlan. The Aztecs will spawn near a forest, and move into the forest and sit there. Since those forests are next to Tenochtitlan, they won't actually make any move to take the city. Wait ~10 turns to make sure your units won't change sides, then send your army and destroy them.

After the Aztecs its time to expand. You'll want to expand up into the US heartland and to its West Coast - i like to found (approximately - Mayan names will be different) Los Angeles, Seattle, Santa Fe, I think its ~ houston (grabs the corn and spice just outside Tenochtitlan, but also gets the fish near the New Orleans spot), and somewhere near Chicago (make sure you get the iron). In fact, i'd found up near the iron first thing after the Aztecs, because you'll need it for military units. These will ensure you have access to coal, iron, marble, oil, and uranium (not that you'll get *that* far). This is far enough west that America won't flip your cities.

Now you just have to survive the european onslaught. Expect them in the mid 1400s. Quite honestly, trade for engineering as quickly as possible so you can build pikemen (probably from your *second* european contact, but I had the Persians settle in SAm in the game i played to completion, and they aren't a colonial power so we could be friends from the get-go, and they were in SAm centuries before the europeans found me, so i traded for engineering shortly before europeans arrived). Until then, garrison your strongest unit (probably longbows) in Tikal in large numbers. They'll probably get 2 cannon, a musketman, 2 knights, and 2 pikemen near Tikal. Sit tight, weather the attack, and make peace as soon as they get bored. Make friendly with the europeans, adopt their religion when it spreads to you. Shortly before you win your UHV, America will spawn. Make friendly with them too. You're a lover, not a fighter - let the europeans squabble amongst themselves and leave your cities alone.

i've added the new ones to the wiki.
Strange how now we've got 4 Mayan guides and no one for Portugal, Inca, Turkey and America

Working on the Inca... I want to win on Monarch before i make a strategy guide.

America... hmm... i came really close (1 turn off goal 3). It didn't actually strike me as being hard in the way that a strategy guide would help with. Its mostly a matter of watching your time, and balancing expansion/infrastructure/military. Ie, basic civIV skills on a deadline. I don't even know what i'd write for a guide - nothing I did seemed especially unusual.

Turkey is really easy. The only benefit i can see to a guide is someone can say "here's the spots you need to put cities to control the Balkans". For the most part that game plays itself. (I had 5 civs offer to be my vassals immediately upon respawn or meeting me. 3 vassals is almost too easy).

Haven't played Portugal yet.

And sorry, someone specifically requested a Mayan guide, so I wrote it. (Not exactly a civ that felt like it really needed a guide, outside of the "wait for the Aztecs before expanding too much" bit).

Greece strategy: Emperor.

The first game I wanted to start with Greece, i started to research priesthood but 10 turns after I build my first city, India completed the Oracle, even before I researched Priesthood. So I started the next game with India.

NOTE: I don't know if this is a real strategy guide, because it had to start with another civ, but I won without cheating.

The first thing you have to do is moving your settler as quick as possible to Europe, and build Byzantium. Then I started to build a worker, while researching Fishing. Then build a mine. After you created your worker, you have to wait 2 turns (build a monument, doesn't matter). Switch production to the work boat. Don't let the city grow before you complete your workboat. Place it on a fish resource and let the city grow to size 2. The city won't be razed then.
The worker: After you build the mine the worker is useless. Move it to the tile west of Athens. A few turns later, Greece will spawn. Declare war. Otherwise you won't get the worker.

Then you switch to Greece. The phalanxes can conquer Kolhapur. It will collapse before you reach it. India is gone. Move 2 phalanxes to the barbarian city. Don't attack before it has grown to size 2. Then you can conquer it. One warrior can attack the worker, the other one has to go to the tribal villages, to get some gold if you are lucky.

Research path: Priesthood -> Masonry -> Animal Husbandry (sheep and horses). Remember: the AI has started researching archery, don't forget to switch.
Athenae has to build a work boat, Kolhapur the Colossus. After you have completed your work boat, build the Temple of Artemis. After you research Priesthood you can switch to the Oracle. Athenae will grow very quick to size 4, and your 3 workers can build mines. I completed the Oracle in 900 BC, the Colossus in 590 BC and the Temple of Artemis in 570 BC.

After you finish the Oracle, you have to choose a tech. There are many tempting options: Machinery, very very very expensive, and needed to research Optics. Aesthetics (?) to research Drama and Literature. Much cheaper then Machinery, but just as important. Final option: Iron working, to discover the Iron source near Athenae, for a even higher production level, to research the compass and to defend against the Romans.

I saved before I had to choose. I think this is one of the most important parts of the UHV, so think about it. I've chosen option 2. Babylonia will go the same way so you have to beat them. And: You can start building the Parthenon. The building goal won't be very hard to achieve.

After you discover Animal Husbandry, switch to Literature, to build the Leaning tower and the Great Library. They are very useful, the leaning tower because of the 100% GP bonus (was already 200% with the Parthenon and the Greek UP), the Great Library gives you 2 scientists, (GP rate and research). The next one could be Iron Working, to defend against the Romans. They will attack your fishing boats, but don't worry. Kolhapur and Athenae can build a trireme every 4 turns. Place them near your fishing boats. The Romans will attack them, but you have the defense bonus, so they will lose. They only have 5, maybe 7 boats. You can stop the landunits with your Phalanxes and Spearman. Use the same strategy to stop the barbarians: Block the entrance with a spearman and a phalanx, that should be enough to stop 80%. Egypt will also declare war, but they don't have ANY troops to attack. Peace Treaty and Meditation will make him happy.

GP: Because you control some worldwonders, many Great Persons will be born, normally Artists and Prophets, sometimes a Merchant. The Merchants should be placed in Athenae to use all mines, the Artists in Hattusas (sometimes it even flips to Babylonia!) or to discover monarchy or music and the prophets to research meditation and caste system or to settle in a city.

We have jumped to 600 AD. The Roman War should be finished, maybe not because you want to conquer some cities when the European Civs spawn. This was the point where my Golden Age started. Use it to research the Compass -> Machinery (if you haven't chosen this tech when you created the Oracle) -> Optics. In my game, Carthage had already almost researched Machinery AND the Compass, so there was a chance I would be too late. I decided to put everything into research: Pacifism, Caste System, cities build Research.
In my game, Egypt built the Apostolic Palace. He liked me, and I decided to vote for him. He was quite pleased with that, so he decided to stop every single war against me. Sorry Saladin, Ramesses is always right.

But you haven't won yet. Remember to have some spearman near Hattusas, because the Arabians will come and attack you. Don't worry about them too much: Pacifism doesn't allow large armies, and Babylonia and Persia will help you to defeat Arabia.

Tech trades: When you want to trade some techs, you will discover it isn't very easy to make a deal. But sometimes you just have to. Archery, Meditation, Agriculture, Monarchy and Iron Working: these are the techs you want to buy. Agriculture and Iron Working against Philosophy and Aesthetics is a good deal, for example.

I was lucky. Hannibal didn't want to research Optics. Upgrade your Triremes to Caravels, build some to destroy Independent Triremes and travel south. This is the quickest way to circumnavigate (if Maya is destroyed).

I hope this guide will help you, good luck everyone:goodjob:

Added Portugal and Turkey pacifist strategies to the wiki. :traderoute: :culture: :deal: :sheep: :clap:

By following this strategy, it’s possible to achieve all of England’s UHV conditions before 1700 on Monarch. In my last game, I did so in 1645 and could’ve done it one turn earlier if I hadn’t been careless.

View attachment Victoria AD-1650 Turn 281.CivBeyondSwordSave

First, let’s consider the conditions:
1. Be the first to circumnavigate the globe. No challenge here—you can even research Calendar before beelining Optics. The AI puts zero priority on circumnavigation and just stumbles into it eventually if you don’t do it first.
2. Settle at least three cities on every continent. This one’s a little tougher, especially if you want the good city sites. In particular, there aren’t many decent spots in Asia or Africa, so if you don’t want junk cities in the tundra or desert, you need to move relatively quickly.
3. Be the first to enter the Industrial and Modern Ages. This isn’t too difficult, but if you want to do it as quickly as possible, you really have to focus. Also, this goal is in conflict with the second goal since your tech costs increase as your civ gets larger.

Thus, if you want to win as early as possible, you must focus completely on your UHV goals, ignoring anything that doesn’t help your research or your expansion. In particular:
1. No wonders. For UHV purposes, there’s not a single wonder that’s worth the cost in hammers or turns, and you shouldn’t pop any Great Engineers, either—most of your specialists should be scientists and merchants.
2. No vassals. Vassals cost money. Given the huge maintenance and upkeep costs you’ll have to pay anyway, why force your science slider down even farther?
3. No unnecessary buildings. Any building that doesn’t speed up your research, improve your economy, or let you assign or feed more specialists shouldn’t be built.
4. Minimal military, and no conquests. You should have enough units to keep the sheeple from wetting themselves and to defend your African and American colonies from natives armed with dry grass. Anything more than that will slow you down. As for conquests, what’s the point? You need to settle three cities on each continent. Conquered cities just increase your maintenance and upkeep and decrease your stability.

So now that you know what you shouldn’t do, let’s discuss what you should do.

Opening Moves (before Astronomy):

Settle London, Plymouth, Manchester, and Dublin (Dublin should be 1 W of the sheep to claim all the land tiles and both fish). Revolt immediately to HR and slavery. You can also revolt to OR and vassalage—the extra anarchy turn won’t hurt much at this point, and OR may help if Christianity doesn’t spread quickly. Beeline Astronomy. The Vikings usually have Inverness; if they declare when it flips, no big deal—you’ll usually (though not always) get some extra units, and they might sink one of your galleys. In my games, they don’t even pillage my fishing boats!When your workers show up, have them improve all the resource tiles, starting with the ones near London. Your two workboats should go to the fish tiles near Manchester and Inverness.

London, Manchester, and Inverness should whip libraries and markets ASAP, but Manchester should whip a worker first, Inverness should whip a granary first, and both cities should build harbors as well (but not London—no seafood tiles). Have Plymouth whip a workboat, library, and harbor, then whatever you want. Have Dublin whip a worker first, then a library, two workboats, a market, and a harbor (build the workboats before the library if Christianity spreads to Dublin early enough).

As soon as Christianity comes in, convert. Squeeze in missionaries to get it to all five cities if necessary. Every city except Plymouth should assign its first two citizens to food tiles, then its next two as scientists once libraries are built. Plymouth should work the crabs and the stone, then assign two scientists.When Optics comes in, start caravels in the first two cities to finish their current builds. After you’ve got your libs, markets, and caravels, you can start settlers in London, Manchester, and Inverness (also be sure to assign merchants once you’re working enough food tiles). Time the settlers to finish one turn after Astronomy, whipping them if necessary. As long as every city has two scientists whenever it can, you should have Astronomy in 1190.

During this time, you should generate two Great People. The first one will almost certainly be a GS; use him to lightbulb Paper. If the next one is a GS (hopefully it will be), lightbulb Philosophy after trading for Meditation (you might have to research it; if so, it’ll only take one turn). If it’s a GM, you can either lightbulb Guilds or settle him in Dublin. Once you have Philosophy and Astronomy, or a little after if you want to get the settlers out first, revolt to pacifism and resettlement. Upgrade at least one galley to a galleon (trade for the cash if necessary), load your settlers the following turn, and set off for Asia. Upgrade the other two ASAP.

Research and Overseas Expansion

Your galleon should head for Singapore, which will be unclaimed by Khmer at this point (about 1300). Drop off one settler there, then take the other two over to the Philippines and settle two cities there—one in the north, one in the south. Don’t bother with India; any cities you settle there will flip if India respawns. Each of these cities should whip a longbow first, then a library, then a courthouse (courthouses can come first if Christianity spreads fast enough), then markets, etc. Singapore should whip a workboat after its borders pop. Once your workers finish improving Britain, send three of them in a galleon to your Asian settlements.

Back home, London, Manchester, and Inverness should follow this build order, whipping every so often (though you shouldn’t abuse the whip—you need those specialists): observatory, crossbow, settler, university, crossbow, settler, crossbow, settler, settler. You can deviate from this order to get the last settlers out faster if needed, or build something between the last two settlers to let your population grow back. Meanwhile, Dublin should build a grocer and a Royal Exchange once you have Guilds and Banking, followed by the science buildings, a temple, a lighthouse, and a courthouse.

Research order: Civil Service, Education, Nationalism, Constitution, Printing Press, Scientific Method, Physics, Electricity, Radio. Lightbulb any of these techs that you can; also lightbulb Banking with a GM if possible. Once you have Constitution, switch to representation and bureaucracy. I finished Radio in 1635.

There are plenty of places you can settle, but here are the sites I chose and the order in which I settled them:

Africa: Port Nolloth, Cape Town, Durban (send crossbows first, ditto for the Americas)—1430-1435
North America: St. John, New York, Annapolis—1530-1535
South America: Georgetown, 3 W of Georgetown, near the eastern tip of the continent, 2 N of the gems—1590-1595
Australia/Oceania: Wellington, Christchurch, Sydney. I could have founded one more city in New Zealand, but I was careless and had already moved the galleon toward Australia when I realized this. Sydney was settled in 1645.

Your cities should start with workers or workboats, then build libraries, courthouses, and markets (you’ll probably win before your American and Australian cities build all that stuff, though).

As mentioned before, you’ll generate a fair number of Great People, mostly merchants and scientists. You should use them to lightbulb useful techs—i.e., anything along the tech path mentioned above, or anything that helps your economy. If they can’t lightbulb anything useful, either settle them or build academies.

As far as foreign relations go, you don’t need to suck up to everyone a whole lot—just don’t needlessly antagonize anyone, and you should be fine. Sign open borders whenever you can, give in to tribute demands and requests for help as long as they’re remotely within reason (e.g. don’t give away Astronomy the turn you discover it), and just generally keep the other Christian civs pleased or cautious if possible. Most of the time, you won’t run into anything worse than a phony war with a distant civ.

Potential Problems:

1. Plague. England has a pretty high health surplus, especially after you make a few trades and grab a few resources overseas, so the plague might not hit you at all. If it does, it shouldn’t last long. If you didn’t get extra units earlier, you might have to whip a few, but other than that it won’t hurt you very much.
2. War. As I mentioned above, you may have the occasional phony war, but rarely anything else. If you do end up in a serious war before your last settlers are on the way to Australia, you can probably forget winning before 1700. Hasn’t happened to me yet, though, so I can’t say for sure.
3. Christianity spreading late. Sometimes, Christianity takes its time spreading to you. If you don’t have it by 1100 or so, maybe earlier, it’s probably best to restart—you need those extra GPs from pacifism.
4. World Congresses. If a Congress convenes before you win, you might get screwed out of a city or two. If you’re close to victory, just defy the Congress and hope you don’t get dogpiled (I didn’t).

Other Stuff:
-Assign as many specialists as you can. In most cities, assign scientists first, then merchants, then others if you have enough food. Dublin’s a good money city, so after Astronomy, start with merchants there.
-In Africa and the Americas, you might consider whipping an extra crossbow to protect your workers.
-It might be better to go for Constitution before Education, provided you can still get Education before the second batch of settlers is done. I haven’t tested it yet, though.
-If you get the conquerors event, gift the units to the Aztecs or Inca so they don't cost you money.

Thanks norton II for the English write up. I always wondered how to win a little earlier when I replayed the English. 4 comments:
About the free units in the Americas, wouldn't it be better to just move them up closer to your future cities so that you don't have to bring them from home, instead of giving them away free?
And the Philippines, well, half the time Japan has already founded Satsuma at the northern tip, and India doesn't always flip your eastern Indian city (if you found yours AFTER they spawn).
Did you ever give your poorly performing cities to anybody (to save on the science cost)?
Is your score higher if you win in 1700 without vassals or wonders? (I built so many wonders and had 2 vassals)

Thanks norton II for the English write up. I always wondered how to win a little earlier when I replayed the English. 4 comments:
About the free units in the Americas, wouldn't it be better to just move them up closer to your future cities so that you don't have to bring them from home, instead of giving them away free?

It could be. I gave them away last time so I wouldn't have to pay for them, but it could definitely help you achieve the 2nd UHV condition earlier. For that matter, the GA might boost your research enough to get you to the MA faster as well. I'll have to test it.

And the Philippines, well, half the time Japan has already founded Satsuma at the northern tip, and India doesn't always flip your eastern Indian city (if you found yours AFTER they spawn).

I've never seen Satsuma founded there in 1310-20 (about the earliest you can get there). As for India, other civs might settle there before they spawn, or they might not spawn at all. I just avoid the issue by going for Singapore and the Philippines early.

Did you ever give your poorly performing cities to anybody (to save on the science cost)?

No. In my last game (the one I posted), I got to the MA one turn before founding any cities in Australia, and in the one before that (pre-patch), I achieved both goals at about the same time.

Is your score higher if you win in 1700 without vassals or wonders? (I built so many wonders and had 2 vassals)

Hard to say for sure, but I don't think so. My earliest win didn't get the highest score.

Thanks for adding:) The main thing in the guide was that I started with India and then I switched to Greece. Sorry I should have said that more clearly (Byzantium -> Byzantium tile) in the guide:lol:
The strategy doesn't work if you start with Greece.

Rhye, you have mali already?

there's a guide already, could possibly be updated

I'm going to have another shot at this later today. The guide could do with updating as the strategy isn't very effective for vanilla - you don't have the extra 10% from mint. I'm convinced that to succeed you need more cities and south africa with all those resources looks a good bet..

Here's an updated Roman strategy for BtS 1.09 on Monarch.

Opening Moves

Settle Rome on the spot and revolt to slavery immediately. One settler should go south to found Pompeii (1S of Pigs). The other settler, accompanied by an archer, will head north to found Lugdinum in France (1E of Horses). Don't bother attacking Mediolanum since it will flip in a few turns. Instead load the Praetorians on the galleys and wait for the Pompeii canal to reach Greece.

Once your boats are at Greece's borders trade techs and declare war. Make sure you can reach Athens the same turn however, as they quite possibly have naval units. You should be able to attack from the sea losing only one, maybe two Praetorians. That's fine since with any luck you will have captured at least one worker.... ship him over to Pompeii in exchange for an archer.

After Greece has been properly dealt with heal the army and rendezvous on Carthage's borders, but don't attack. Regardless to what you can see Carthage has more than likely founded it's second city now. You can rest assured the cavalry are waiting there so the best bet is to wait for reinforcements first.

Build Orders

Rome: Trireme -> Praetorian -> Spearman -> Praetorian
Pompeii: Galley -> Spearman -> Monument -> Workboat -> Settler
Mediolanum: Scout -> Settler -> Archer -> Settler
Athens: Great Light -> Great Wall
Lugdinum: (anything until size 2) -> Settler

With your inital workers chop and mine the iron, followed by the marble, and then chop the forested hills tiles. After the inital military build up is finished you should move the workers to Mediolanum to chop the forests and farm the Wheat. You want that first settler out quick.

Research Agriculture if you can't trade for it and then beeline Construction through Maths. You will need all three of these techs to meet the first two UHV goals. The first for farms to build settlers, and the latter two for Ampitheatres, Aqueducts, and wonders. Once those are out of the way you can research anything. Theology is a decent option but bear in mind the holy city will probably end up somewhere in France (easily conquered later). Code of Laws or Monarchy are both beneficial as well if you can't trade for them.

Whip everything as soon as you can and stage your troops off Carthages border. When the invasion force is ready declare war, again trading techs first if possible. Once Carthage has been eliminated pick up an archer garrison and then send everyone to Lugdinum to wipe out the Celts and Barbs. You would be wise to leave a spearman behind to deal with the mounted barbs coming soon.

Carthage and Athens are good production centers and should be building wonders almost exclusively. The most crucial of those are the Colossus, Temple of Artemis, Great Light, and the Great Wall. Also Moai Statues if it can be built in Carthage with enough time to finish the other buildings.

When your troops arrive in Lugdinum send them West to capture Bordeaux (I can't remember the Celtic name). You now need to settle 5 more cities. One each in Carthage, France, England and two in Spaine. Only in Carthage are you certain to keep the city so settle it first. The others are a guaranteed loss... either settle them late or whip them heavily for military. With the exception of Lugdinum you probably shouldn't improve any land either. Just chop forests and whip military - nothing else.

You will generally have 4 cities size 5 or more. Those being Athens, Pompeii, Carthago, and Rome. Build the required buildings in those cities and road between Pompeii (everything else is connected by sea). If you can't make the mark you can always just whip the cities to at least size 4 ... however cheesy that may be.

With the two hard goals and the Great Wall you can simply cruise to the finish. The wall won't stop the barbs invading Carthage though. You will need to garrison those cities with at least two spears and an archer. If you didn't get the Great Wall research Engineering for Castles and Pikemen, and Feudalism for Longbows. You should probably build the Temple of Kulkulkan either way since spearmen don't fair so well against camel archers.

Now it's time to enjoy the ride as your empire gets stripped to the boot.... no pun intended - seriously.

I was reading the strategy wiki, and there was something that confused me. Here's the link. http://wikirhye.wikidot.com/rfc-chinese-strategy#toc2

The passage I'm referring to tells me to change my workers to scientists (or merchants or artists) as they grow past the happy limit. "This, in short, is how to handle the whip in food-rich cities. Build something until the city reaches its happy limit, then (probably) switch to a worker or settler. Depending on how unhappy the city is, you may either whip that or the next build. Rinse and repeat. On growth, hire specialists."

What I don't understand is how hiring these specialists has anything to do with the happy limit of my cities, or unhappiness in general. It seems they just further lower the hammer-gold-food output of my cities and slow down my production.

Top Bottom