TSG 242 After Actions Thread

vadalaz

Emperor
GOTM Staff
In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game.

Quick links: Upload submission | Announcement thread | Opening actions

- Did you play peacefully or warlike?
- Did you go with the Sacred Sites strategy? Did the map layout make it more challenging than usual?
- How useful were Indonesian uniques to you? Did you get any Mystic Blade promotions? Which ones?
- How many cities did you have in the end and where did you settle them?

Culture victory at turn 144 with sacred sites.
Continued from the opening actions thread, I just spammed more settlers, faith buildings, candi... As expected no AI dowed me at all.
I might have gotten the victory 1 turn earlier, because I forgot for 1 turn that I just got civil service, and buying open borders with greece might have pushed it 1 turn faster.

Spoiler :
1712065242453.png

CV on turn 350 or 351; the screen popped up at the beginning of turn 351 and I'm not sure how you count that. There never was an International Games, which would have sped that up quite a bit, but I'm only now able to propose it.

I went full Tradition into Aesthetics. Next will be Rationalism and a few points in Exploration. I haven't decided which ideology to take yet, but that still a long ways off.

I did get a religion: God-King, Tithe, Pagodas, Feed the World, and Religious Texts.

"Any trouble with the neighbors?" I don't have any neighbors! I've sent a scout to the big donut but no settlers. I probably won't settle any cities there, but I might capture one. There's another island to the east that looks like a decent place for a 4th city.

I settled my 4th city on the big donut instead of on the small island to the east; I thought I might need it for sending caravans. It turned out to be a great city and it got me some coal and uranium.

- Did you play peacefully or warlike? peacefully, but I was gearing up for a war with Alexander just in case. He was killing everybody on the big donut and stealing their culture, plus I had to spend a *lot* of gold to keep him from allying all the CS's and getting a diplo victory because I wasn't sure when that vote would come around. I might JOMT and attack Honolulu to see what happens. Not sure if I'll keep it or liberate it; probably keep it because if I liberate it he'll just capture it again.

- Did you go with the Sacred Sites strategy? Did the map layout make it more challenging than usual? No, I wonder-spammed and went Aesthetics, and raced to Internet and the National Visitor Center.

- How useful were Indonesian uniques to you? Did you get any Mystic Blade promotions? Which ones? Not really useful except for the spices, and even that was a little annoying because I couldn't settle on the iron (well, I suppose I could but it would destroy it) I only built one Kris and I actually got a good promotion instead of Enemy Blade like I usually get. I think it was Invincible.

- How many cities did you have in the end and where did you settle them? Four cities. I might should have done a 5th one on that little island to the east.
20240402093722_1.jpg

Cultural victory turn 168. This was a fine map, thanks!

I'm happy with the start in particular, even though the final result couldn't match Rhodro (When I see your name I guess I should think of rhododendrons but for some reason it's rhinoceroses. No offence, I hope, it's just hard to think of people as bushes, beautiful as they may be.)
I started with monument, convinced that the small donut theory was correct. I then went for great library > Philosophy and National college. The NC would explain why the rhinoceros was way slower than me in research. I even built Brobudur and Great Mosque of Djenne. Parthenon and Oracle go without saying. But the rhino was one heck of a range builder... :thumbsup:

There were a few skirmishes only.
On turn 60 I met Polynesia and instantly captured a lone settler. They didn't build a single city after that, unfortunately, so I ended up being at war with them until Greece wiped them out (which I should have hindered).
I did capture Rostov which could soon pride itself with both mosque, pagoda, a cathedral and a monastery.
I built units to maybe eliminate Greece, but eventually realized that cancelling open borders and trade routes (which I set up too late, hell-bent on war) would be more bad than good. In the end Greece only resisted our culture for 5 turns longer than France and Ottomans.

- Did you go with the Sacred Sites strategy?
Yes, we got Sacred sites 6 turns before Russia reached their reformation belief. They had Pagodas so they may well have picked sacred sites to go with it. The social policy order went Piety - Liberty - citizenship - republic - coll rule - organized religion (free) - Reformation & Sacred sites (t99) - representation (ahhh 17 turns left of Golden age) - meritocracy - aesthetics - mandate of heaven. I kind of forgot about mandate of heaven but in hindsight aesthetics may have been the right choice because the cost of the religious buildings was never an issue.

Summary of tourism assets:
Great works of art 2 (Parthenon and 1 great artist)
Mosque 2 (Great Mosque of Djenne, Rostov)
Monastery 10
Cathedral 10
Great work of writing 3 (great library, amphitheater in Jakarta; the AI had no GWs available for swapping so no theming bonus)
Pagoda 1 (Rostov)

- Did the map layout make it more challenging than usual?
In between building monument. shrine, temple, etc. I squeezed in a scout in Jakarta and managed to get him upgraded to sentry thanks to a warrior barb. This sentry spotted Sri Pada which was a clue that the start wasn't so awful as it could have been. But there was so much to build - Parthenon (turn 73) can easily be snatched by the AI even at this low difficulty level and even though it only yields 2 tourism it also gives a great culture boost to the AI that gets it - so I didn't settle the Sri Pada island until turn 72. I am also a builder at heart of course. But on a normal map I would have saved up 500 gold from huts, camps and trades to buy a settler much earlier, so yes, the map was tricky.

I realized what the shape of the map was around turn 60. I recalled that the donut map type can have all sorts of fillings in the middle, apparently including us.

- How useful were Indonesian uniques to you? Did you get any Mystic Blade promotions? Which ones?
I got one Sneak attack (50% flanking bonus) and one Ambition (+50% offense, -20% defense). It had no impact on the game.

11 cities, all but one had time to get a monastery and a cathedral.
Sri Pada was settled first (free collective rule settler)
Second, Medan on the home island.
Third, Makassar on the big donut to the west near the salt.
Fourth, Batam also on the home continent.
The rest was basically just spamming. I didn't settle the small island to the east until very late. The reason for filling up the home island first was the hope of getting some free religious conversion from being near Jakarta. This didn't happen, but I didn't miss the last unique lux either.

1712131697079.png

1712131775553.png

The starting scout really kicked some *** all the way to the end! Survivalism isn't bad if you want some military prowess from your scouts. And for telling the world about Sri Pada on turn 31, this scout naturally achieved legendary status in Indonesia.
1712131969680.png

Final screen:
1712132047965.png

Last edited:
Won Culture Victory turn 150.

In turn 149, I had 15 cities, and 42 Tourism. I never built any great works, all my Tourism was from Sacred Sites.

Instead, I saved my 2 Great Writers until the end, to finish Liberty and get a Great Musician. When I popped them and got the liberty finisher, I was Influential over all civs but one. For Greece, there were still 9 turns left.

So I gifted Alex my 2nd largest city so my GM could get there quick. A concert tour that same turn won me the game.

Timeline:
t25 Goddess of Festivals
t51 settled next to Sri Pada
t61 Religion: Church Property, Mosques
t66 Pyramids
t84 met everyone
t85 enhanced: Pagodas, RT
t86 Oracle -> Sacred Sites
t149 Liberty Finisher -> GM
t150 won

Screenshots attached of the last two turns (149 & 150)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240403_233343.png
    Screenshot_20240403_233343.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240403_023115.png
    Screenshot_20240403_023115.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Won Culture Victory turn 150.

In turn 149, I had 15 cities, and 42 Tourism. I never built any great works, all my Tourism was from Sacred Sites.

Instead, I saved my 2 Great Writers until the end, to finish Liberty and get a Great Musician. When I popped them and got the liberty finisher, I was Influential over all civs but one. For Greece, there were still 9 turns left.

So I gifted Alex my 2nd largest city so my GM could get there quick. A concert tour that same turn won me the game.

Timeline:
t25 Goddess of Festivals
t51 settled next to Sri Pada
t61 Religion: Church Property, Mosques
t66 Pyramids
t84 met everyone
t85 enhanced: Pagodas, RT
t86 Oracle -> Sacred Sites
t149 Liberty Finisher -> GM
t150 won

Screenshots attached of the last two turns (149 & 150)
That's really very neat. It would be interesting to hear what social policies you prioritized earlier, pushing the free great musician to the very end. For instance, did you bother with Mandate of Heaven? 'Cause I reckoned it was pretty obvious for you too that Greece would be the toughest nut to crack so a musician could have been sent at any time? Or did you simply not have enough culture to finish the Liberty tree earlier, after sacred sites?

That's really very neat. It would be interesting to hear what social policies you prioritized earlier, pushing the free great musician to the very end. For instance, did you bother with Mandate of Heaven? 'Cause I reckoned it was pretty obvious for you too that Greece would be the toughest nut to crack so a musician could have been sent at any time? Or did you simply not have enough culture to finish the Liberty tree earlier, after sacred sites?
I went left Liberty first up to the free settler. Then Piety, beelined for Reformation/SS. Then got the one that makes faith buying buildings cheaper, and then the last one in Piety (can't remember the policy names).

I used the Great Prophet from Piety to spread my religion to the city states around Greece. As you can see in the screenshot I have a +75% bonus so it actually worked to convert a majority of his cities, but I don't think it made a difference because it was almost the end of the game anyway. (I sent the GP to Ottomans first who were a close 2nd in Culture, but then realized that it wasn't needed there and sent it back to Greece. So it arrived very late)

Yes I could have skipped completing Piety, but an earlier GM gives less Tourim as it's based on tpt I believe. So I don't think it would have had the same effect.

I got really lucky with timing, it was sort of planned that way but for example I didn't expect to get a 2nd GW before finishing. Which shaved off a few turns to win.

Last edited:
Culture victory at turn 144 with sacred sites.
Continued from the opening actions thread, I just spammed more settlers, faith buildings, candi... As expected no AI dowed me at all.
I might have gotten the victory 1 turn earlier, because I forgot for 1 turn that I just got civil service, and buying open borders with greece might have pushed it 1 turn faster.

Well done to move the initial settler to get the Stone in range! That didn't occur to me for some reason, which was why I went for Goddess of Festivals instead of Stone Circles.

I went left Liberty first up to the free settler. Then Piety, beelined for Reformation/SS. Then got the one that makes faith buying buildings cheaper, and then the last one in Piety (can't remember the policy names).

I used the Great Prophet from piety to spread my religion to the city states around Greece. As you can see in he screenshot I have a +75% bonus so it actually worked to convert a majority of his cities, but I don't think it made a difference because it was almost the end of the game anyway. (I sent the GP to Ottomans first who were a close 2nd in Culture, but then realized that it wasn't needed there and sent it back to Greece. So it arrived very late)

Yes I could have skipped completing Piety, but an earlier GM gives less Tourim as it's based on tpt I believe. So I don't think it would have had the same effect.

I got really lucky with timing, it was sort of planned that way but for example I didn't expect to get a 2nd GW before finishing. Which shaved off a few turns to win.
Great timing, I'd say, and great foresight with the great writers!
As for policies, I got the free worker one too. Next time, I'll try to skip that. After all, I used 4 turns to build a rather useless scout, and a worker would only have cost about 5-7 more depending on the time it was built.

I played it again. This time I settled my Sri Pada city on the iron (I could trade for what little iron I needed), and I settled that island to the east also for 5 cities total. Still did Tradition, Aesthetics, Rationalism, Freedom, but after finishing Tradition I opened Exploration next to get Maritime Infrastructure and to unlock the Louvre, and so I could take the happiness policy if I needed it. Then opened Aesthetics for more great writers and artists, then switched to Rationalism. I didn't fill Aesthetics until pretty late in the game. I shaved almost 50 turns off my game mainly by getting to Internet faster. Also by the time I took Flourishing of the Arts, all 5 cities had at least one wonder and I'd taken the Universal Suffrage tenet.

The thing that slowed me down the most was I couldn't reach France with a trade route. I paid Napoleon quite a bit to declare war on Monty, but he just took my gold and luxuries and sat there for 10 turns and made peace. If he'd taken any Aztec cities I could have sent him a trade route. By the time I'd unlocked Combustion, I was only 2 or 3 turns away from winning w/o it.

I need to try this one more time with Sacred Sites 😂

20240404095440_1.jpg 20240404095455_1.jpg

I ditched my initial misguided attempt of trying to tribute everyone, and decided to try a more focused sacred sites attempt - armed with map knowledge from my first attempt and the stories in this thread - so 'out of competition'. It struck me that I had never really won a sacred sites game. I had tried a couple of times, mostly on the higher difficulty levels, but something usually went wrong: I got beaten to the reformation belief, or I got the reformation belief, but on enhancing there was no building available anymore. I do remember one Egypt game where I did get the reformation, and two buildings, but it was just too slow (or I did not settle enough cities/play it well, etc.), because I had to finish it with great works and hotels.

For this game, I was really doubting about the pantheon, or whether I should even build a shrine in the first place (since I had seen Sri Pada, I thought I could get a pantheon off that). On the other hand, timing is crucial for sacred sites (I imagine), so I went monument - two turns worker - shrine. For the pantheon I was in doubt. Stone circles would give 4 faith, but it would take forever to get online, since I wanted optics first (I knew had to beat Catherine to the coastal salt spot). One with nature would also have been an option, or maybe the wine and incense one. In the end, I went God King, for the immediate yields (including one faith) in the capital.

Initially I settled 8 cities, and after that I saw that only Russia was attempting Great Library (though I did not see Greece yet). I had Japan declare war on her, and also declared war myself, and the Great Library was mine, allowing my capital to move on to Borobudur quickly, after Oracle. It took forever to build Boro, though, because the capital was not that amazing, so maybe I should just have purchased some missionaries. My religion was: Initiation rites, Pagodas, Monasteries, Reliquary. The Initiation Rites was nice when more cities started converting to my religion.

At around turn 120, it was becoming clear that I had not settled enough cities, and my 40 tourism or so was not going to win the game quickly enough. What's more, Polynesia and Greece joint-declared on me. Polynesia was easily rebuffed, but Greece actually took a city. At this point, it was clear that there was quite a dichotomy between the civs: Alexander was doing quite well (in addition to the army of at least two catapults, a sword, and some hoplites, he had a decent number of cities out. Aztec, on the other hand, were still on one city, with no improved tiles. Lord knows what he was doing all game long.

To win the game, though, I had to switch gears by pumping out more settlers, and conquering some cities as well. Tenochtitlan fell easily, as did Honolulu. Samoa was next, although it was no longer necessary as I was greeted by the victory screen, at turn 167. I had bulbed one musician in Greece's lands, from the Liberty finisher (thanks for the tip, @Rhodro), however the second musician never arrived because the Liberty musician did increase the counter.

Below: the late settles.
Indonesia.png

So now that I can tick off the sacred sites box, I'm not sure it really fits with my play style. One annoying thing is what to do with your cities after you build a shrine and a temple (and in case of Indonesia, a candi). Library? Workshop? Archers? I was not sure it mattered, but it did not feel pleasing to the builder in me that most of the cities were lagging behind what they 'ought' to have built by turn 167.

two turns worker
I had the same sequence but chose two turns on a scout which later helped me spot Sri Pada on turn 31. How did you spot it?
Stone circles
I picked Monument to the Gods which helped with the wonders. Though I have a feeling that the faster game is simpler, with Stone Circles or Goddess of festivals.
The Initiation Rites was nice
Yes, I've learned from the masters that Tithe is the strategically mature choice, but surely that doesn't apply to Sacred Sites efforts.

I have been following this game and am thinking to play my first ever non-domination game in civ 5. Not in context of GOTM, rather I would use knowledge of this scenario and the strategies in order to learn the game mechanics. It gives me a yard stick to work to, something I wouldn't get just playing a game alone.

I have been reading about the specific SS strategy, so have some idea. I have gleaned much from the posts above.

This may not be the thread to ask such basic questions, in which case no worries, but if it's ok, any chance for some quick and dirty ideas for general strategy. I am especially curious about what needs to be built in cities and how the settler spam works. I have no experience of creating a bunch of my own cities. I have the idea from reading above that the more cities the better, to increase tourism. Wonders have to be taken into account also, again something I dont have much experience of in civ 5. I guess capital for big builds and expos for settlers? I have enough game knowledge to understand the happiness side of things.
I can defend my lands ok, if I have built troops. I will aim for religion and culture, not worry so much about tech, open borders.. work on the culture CS.

I am guessing, perhaps incorrectly, that a 160 turn culture game is a lot faster to play than a corresponding domination game with all that troop movement to undertake.

@lerrocco Many peaceful Civ 5 plays are 4-city Tradition, so in that sense sacred sites city spam is quite abnormal. For Tradition, a typical settling strategy is to get your capital to 3-pop, and ideally get three hills to work while building settlers (note: your capital cannot starve while building settlers), and pump out three settlers quickly. So scout-scout-shrine-settler-settler-settler might be a viable build order. You would still have some war declarations, as you would much rather steal workers than build them. After that, your cities should prioritize growth, production, and science, more or less in that order, and try to build a national college in a reasonable time (rule of thumb is turn 100 on standard speed).

As for domination, the troop movement is why I often don't finish my games. At some point, it's clear that the game is won, but you only need to walk your army to the remaining couple of civs. Also, Kilimanjaro is one of my favourite wonders, because it makes the troop movement so much better (and better still for Inca and American Minutemen!).

@Megalou I didn't see Sri Pada, I knew the map from my first abandoned attempt. As said, the write-up above was not for a 'competitive game', but for myself to see how sacred sites would go.

With Sacred Sites, you need to get a lot of cities up quickly. The Initiation Rites founder belief really helps with that, because for every 5 cities that adopt your religion you can buy another settler. What "a lot" means varies, it might be 10 cities and it might take 30 or 40.

Sometimes SS just doesn't work because one civ will miraculously have so much culture you can't overtake them; you'll get to "popular" and have about 50 turns left to be influential but even with open borders and a trade route that number doesn't go down and even starts to go up. But if you do it right that is rare. When it does happen, what you need to do is kill that one civ.

Here's to my first ever participation in a GOTM (and first ever post on CivFanatics, too, while I'm at it). Long time lurker but finally decided to play this month. Turn 244 CV.
20240405001702_1.jpg

There was definitely more I did wrong in this game than right.

Complete pacificist run. I built 3 units over the course of the entire game lol, which I think, along with my tech disparity, kept me from being decced on.
- Did you go with the Sacred Sites strategy? Did the map layout make it more challenging than usual?
I did not go for Sacred Sites. I've heard of the strategy before but I've never tried it, and I didn't know what specifically it referred to. I knew it was about faith buildings and stuff but I wasn't familiar with exactly how to execute it and I didn't want to look it up in advance for this game. I think I'll replay and give it a shot, though!
Completely irrelevant. I didn't build any Kris Swordsmen, and I didn't even build Candi's in my other two cities lol.
I had 3 cities in the end, which was probably my biggest problem. It's been a veryyyyy long time since I've played on a difficulty this low and I was utterly confused the entire game by how high my happiness was. Usually, happiness is my greatest limiting factor in any campaign (this is what's completely turned me off from even attempting Sacred Sites in all my hours up until now. I know wider is better for that strategy, but I'm perpetually unhappy in all the games that I play, so I can't even remember the last time I've played wide). I autopiloted to the 4-city tradition meta without even thinking about it. Seeing only two luxuries on my main island, and knowing I'd also have to settle a second city on it was enough to persuade me not to try Sacred Sites, but I guess it wasn't a problem in the end. By the time I realized happiness wouldn't be an issue, my religion was almost completed.

For this game, I pretty much just spammed wonders. If it was on the production screen, I built it lol. I took Monument to the Gods to help me with this. I had a very dominant religion which was helping a ton for CV, but Russia was so fudging annoying about it. As always when playing against the AI, I ended up completely abandoning my religion about 150-200 turns in and it was quickly wiped off the map by hordes of Russian missionaries.

Here's to my first ever participation in a GOTM (and first ever post on CivFanatics, too, while I'm at it). Long time lurker but finally decided to play this month. Turn 244 CV.
View attachment 688092
There was definitely more I did wrong in this game than right.

Complete pacificist run. I built 3 units over the course of the entire game lol, which I think, along with my tech disparity, kept me from being decced on.
I did not go for Sacred Sites. I've heard of the strategy before but I've never tried it, and I didn't know what specifically it referred to. I knew it was about faith buildings and stuff but I wasn't familiar with exactly how to execute it and I didn't want to look it up in advance for this game. I think I'll replay and give it a shot, though!
Completely irrelevant. I didn't build any Kris Swordsmen, and I didn't even build Candi's in my other two cities lol.
I had 3 cities in the end, which was probably my biggest problem. It's been a veryyyyy long time since I've played on a difficulty this low and I was utterly confused the entire game by how high my happiness was. Usually, happiness is my greatest limiting factor in any campaign (this is what's completely turned me off from even attempting Sacred Sites in all my hours up until now. I know wider is better for that strategy, but I'm perpetually unhappy in all the games that I play, so I can't even remember the last time I've played wide). I autopiloted to the 4-city tradition meta without even thinking about it. Seeing only two luxuries on my main island, and knowing I'd also have to settle a second city on it was enough to persuade me not to try Sacred Sites, but I guess it wasn't a problem in the end. By the time I realized happiness wouldn't be an issue, my religion was almost completed.

For this game, I pretty much just spammed wonders. If it was on the production screen, I built it lol. I took Monument to the Gods to help me with this. I had a very dominant religion which was helping a ton for CV, but Russia was so fudging annoying about it. As always when playing against the AI, I ended up completely abandoning my religion about 150-200 turns in and it was quickly wiped off the map by hordes of Russian missionaries.
Welcome!
Yea, the city improvement Big Black Pot should be included in future versions. Big black pots to automatically boil all inoming missionaries. Cost 1000 hammers but I'll build it anyway.

Culture victory turn 117.

Before the game started, we were told that we would start on the island, but the announcement indicated the donut map. How is this possible? After I saw the starting screenshot, I was almost 100% sure that we would start on a small donut island inside a large donut. I'm surprised that this turned out to be a surprise for most players. The only thing that bothered me before the game was whether we would be able to sail from our island to astronomy. The exploration of our donut by a warrior showed that yes, we can.

The strategy of playing sacred sites is simple, especially on warlord, where no AI should definitely overtake us in the reformation. I really liked my timing in this game - everything was almost perfect for the first 60 turns. Of the 2 ruins on our island, in first I updated warrior in spear, in second I got 20 cultures -> the open of liberty. In the capital, I built a monument - pre-bild worker - shrine - finished worker. On the same turn, when I finished worker, I accepted the collective rule and started spamming settlers. The free settler went south, the first our own settler to the east of our donut. A turn before the construction of 2 settlers, I learned optics. Before that, I bought a scout, who immediately sailed to the west, and a spear to the north of our island. The scout found Sri Pada = 4 city. 5 city in the north near salt and gold, for which spear taked worker from Polynesia. 6 in the west near the salt. 7 was planned on the eastern island, but it turned out to be completely captured by the barbarians, so further on the Big Donut near copper and cotton. For this city, I stole a worker from Zurich. I didn't have any more workers until turn 100, when I built the Pyramids. The last settler from the capital sailed south to the 9th city between 2 horses. 8th city I bought for 500 coins in the west and built it on silver. I bought the 10th city in the north and built it around Sinai. On the 74th turn, I took for peace St. Petersburg with incense connected, a little later Osaka (I had to build a crab boat). 13th city became the eastern island, for which I built a spear and a warrior to clear the barbarians from sea. Later I found Kailas where I built the 14th city, took for peace Teotihuacan and Corinth (before 100 turn), Mombasa (from Turkey about 110 turn) and built 2 more cities and 1 settler at the end of the game.

I chose God King as the Pantheon, in my opinion this is the best choice. About 40 more turns passed before connecting marble, and even more before connecting wine. If I'm not mistaken, on the 59th turn I adopted religion (initiation rites and monasteries), and I need have accumulated more than 250 faith, but I was lucky with the strengthening, 304 was enough - at 76 turn (pagodas and itinerant preachers).
On the 74 turn, after settlers' spam, I built a Great Library in the capital (I took drama, since I learned philosophy myself at 73), then the Oracle (90 - took the reformation), then the Pyramids (100). In other cities, I built the Parthenon (101), the Lighthouse (100-), MoM (102) and ToA (113), as well as the Guild of Writers (102), but with Stonehenge AI was a little ahead me (about 100 too). This is to the question of what to build in cities after the shrine, temple and monument.

After philosophy, I learned hunting, and then studied theology for 2 turns, after which I changed my mind and went to the CS. This 2 turn slowed down my victory by 1 turn. The most interesting thing is that I changed my mind for the wrong reason, I decided that the transition to medieval would increase the cost of monasteries and pagodas by 50% and I would lose more than I would gain. For the same reason, I almost postponed the CS at the last moment, but fortunately I hesitated and decided to check ((thanks TSG 239). On turn 102, 1.5 bulbs were not enough for me to learn CS, perhaps this would also allow me to win 1 turn, but rather is not. One of the reasons why I doubted the need for CS was that during the game I fought with all the AI, with some 2-3 times. So I doubted they would agree to open the borders. I was very lucky: 2 of the most cultured AI (France and Greece), with whom I fought only 1 time, opened the borders, the rest did not, but it did not matter. the 3rd culture was in Russia, I sent second caravan there, first - in France.

75 turn stats: 11 cities, +31 faith/turn
100 turn stats: 16 cities, +16 tourism, +104 faith/turn.
116 turn statistics: 19 cities, +52 tourism, +159 faith/turn.

p.s. where the hell is the last wonder of nature? :)

Last edited:
Culture victory turn 117.

Before the game started, we were told that we would start on the island, but the announcement indicated the donut map. How is this possible? After I saw the starting screenshot, I was almost 100% sure that we would start on a small donut island inside a large donut. I'm surprised that this turned out to be a surprise for most players. The only thing that bothered me before the game was whether we would be able to sail from our island to astronomy. The exploration of our donut by a warrior showed that yes, we can.

The strategy of playing sacred sites is simple, especially on warlord, where no AI should definitely overtake us in the reformation. I really liked my timing in this game - everything was almost perfect for the first 60 turns. Of the 2 ruins on our island, in first I updated warrior in spear, in second I got 20 cultures -> the open of liberty. In the capital, I built a monument - pre-bild worker - shrine - finished worker. On the same turn, when I finished worker, I accepted the collective rule and started spamming settlers. The free settler went south, the first our own settler to the east of our donut. A turn before the construction of 2 settlers, I learned optics. Before that, I bought a scout, who immediately sailed to the west, and a spear to the north of our island. The scout found Sri Pada = 4 city. 5 city in the north near salt and gold, for which spear taked worker from Polynesia. 6 in the west near the salt. 7 was planned on the eastern island, but it turned out to be completely captured by the barbarians, so further on the Big Donut near copper and cotton. For this city, I stole a worker from Zurich. I didn't have any more workers until turn 100, when I built the Pyramids. The last settler from the capital sailed south to the 9th city between 2 horses. 8th city I bought for 500 coins in the west and built it on silver. I bought the 10th city in the north and built it around Sinai. On the 74th turn, I took for peace St. Petersburg with incense connected, a little later Osaka (I had to build a crab boat). 13th city became the eastern island, for which I built a spear and a warrior to clear the barbarians from sea. Later I found Kailas where I built the 14th city, took for peace Teotihuacan and Corinth (before 100 turn), Mombasa (from Turkey about 110 turn) and built 2 more cities and 1 settler at the end of the game.

I chose God King as the Pantheon, in my opinion this is the best choice. About 40 more turns passed before connecting marble, and even more before connecting wine. If I'm not mistaken, on the 59th turn I adopted religion (initiation rites and monasteries), and I need have accumulated more than 250 faith, but I was lucky with the strengthening, 304 was enough - at 76 turn (pagodas and itinerant preachers).
On the 74 turn, after settlers' spam, I built a Great Library in the capital (I took drama, since I learned philosophy myself at 73), then the Oracle (90 - took the reformation), then the Pyramids (100). In other cities, I built the Parthenon (101), the Lighthouse (100-), MoM (102) and ToA (113), as well as the Guild of Writers (102), but with Stonehenge AI was a little ahead me (about 100 too). This is to the question of what to build in cities after the shrine, temple and monument.

After philosophy, I learned hunting, and then studied theology for 2 turns, after which I changed my mind and went to the CS. This 2 turn slowed down my victory by 1 turn. The most interesting thing is that I changed my mind for the wrong reason, I decided that the transition to medieval would increase the cost of monasteries and pagodas by 50% and I would lose more than I would gain. For the same reason, I almost postponed the CS at the last moment, but fortunately I hesitated and decided to check ((thanks TSG 239). On turn 102, 1.5 bulbs were not enough for me to learn CS, perhaps this would also allow me to win 1 turn, but rather is not. One of the reasons why I doubted the need for CS was that during the game I fought with all the AI, with some 2-3 times. So I doubted they would agree to open the borders. I was very lucky: 2 of the most cultured AI (France and Greece), with whom I fought only 1 time, opened the borders, the rest did not, but it did not matter. the 3rd culture was in Russia, I sent second caravan there, first - in France.

75 turn stats: 11 cities, +31 faith/turn
100 turn stats: 16 cities, +16 tourism, +104 faith/turn.
116 turn statistics: 19 cities, +52 tourism, +159 faith/turn.

p.s. where the hell is the last wonder of nature? :)
Wow, impressive win! Good thinking to take cities from the AI in peace deals additionally to settling.

Culture victory on turn 311 (1882 AD)

I played peacefully. The only time I was at war was with a CS early for 1 turn to steal a worker. While the other civs definitely duked it out, I played the diplomat and secured enough defensive pacts so that I would not get wardecced... not that the AI on warlord is very eager to do so on the player anyway.
No, this was a traditional culture victory. I actually had to search and read on this strategy, as it's the first time I hear about it. Then again, I'm not a big fan of cheese...
I didn't build or upgrade to any Kris Warriors, so I wasn't able to experiment with the UU promotions. The civ UA was pretty good and allowed some nice trade deals, but I got annoyed that it destroyed the iron on the west island upon settling on top of it...
I ended the game with 4 cities. 2 on the inner doughnut, one on the west inner island and one on the southern side of the big doughnut. The city on the south side was mostly used to spread tourism and religion by land.

I have to admit it was fun to try this challenge, but the game did not go at all as I had envisioned it. I was hoping to be done by 250 turns at most by going with a lot of great works and pushing tourism through open borders, and trade routes. I did not put too much hope into religion, although it turned out that my religion spread like a virus throughout the world without even trying to actively spread it. By the end, there were over 30 cities worshipping it, with the second most popular religion being at 11. This definitely helped push tourism, altough my poor choice of beliefs (I chose more or less randomly without too much care) did frustrate me. Funnily enough, at the second world congress, it even passed my proposal to make it the world religion lol...

Policy-wise, I went full tradition then full aesthetics and finally full rationalism. Went with Order ideology, but didn't evolve too much into it.
Science-wise I prioritized tourism/culture tech, and almost completely ignored the military side.

Unfortunately, I did not account for the fact that Alexander will turn out to be a jerk and go to war with everyone, despite being one of the weakest players. This made spreading tourism to him very frustrating. On top of that, due to a lack of focus on my side, Napoleon took a huge cultural boost and almost crippled my tourism efforts on his side. Fortunately, I noticed this early enough to take some measures and caught up by spamming concerts in the modern era.

Overall a fun game, looking forward to the next month's one!

Last edited:
Top Bottom