• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Tourism as a plot yield - artwork needed

@Wodhann: You need to fix your alpha channel, it still shows the hammer/anvil yields you used as base.

If you fix that, the icons all need dropping down by 26 pixels as well - make the sheet 26 pixels taller (adding the space at the top) and then make the sheet 26 pixels shorter (removing from the bottom)

Alright.

By the way, making the tourism yields and figuring out what to use for the big icon was kind of fun. Would you guys be on board on me introducing proper culture and faith yields to the game? To replace the lazy "just use what we have" solution Firaxis did. It would be a good addition to the base patch I think.

I've had to re-write the yield icon manager, and in the process I've removed the hard coded references to the icon sheets - these are now held in the database. This makes it really easy to swap the icon sheets - just load the new ones into the VFS and update the database table. So if you make new ones and people want them, they can easily use them, and if they don't, they don't - simples!

So I'd say "go for it" - I personally hate the culture and faith ones.

[[You can either make the sheets separate for each icon, or produce a combined one (like food/gold/prod/science) as the second new value in the database is the X-offset to get to the correct column of icons.

Edit: Possibly makes more sense with the actual data

Food - YieldAtlas.dds at 0 x-offset
Prod - YieldAtlas.dds at 128 x-offset
Gold - YieldAtlas.dds at 256 x-offset
Science - YieldAtlas.dds at 384 x-offset
Culture - YieldAtlas_128_Culture.dds at 0 x-offset
Faith - YieldAtlas_128_Faith.dds at 0 x-offset
Tourism - YieldAtlas_128_Tourism.dds at 0 x-offset
]]

Here's the tourist guide, for some reason photoshop isn't saving the alpha channel in the DDS though, so can someone turn this into a DDS:

Just use the png transparency as the alpha.

Here's the tourist guide, for some reason photoshop isn't saving the alpha channel in the DDS though...
...Because you have to create the alpha channel.

Just use the png transparency as the alpha.
Note quite as easy as that, but the ellipse tool comes to the rescue!

EDIT: Uploaded a new one; trying to save more of the glow around the second icon.

Attachments

• tourguide.png
    tourguide.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 136
  • tourguide.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 135
Note quite as easy as that, but the ellipse tool comes to the rescue!
If you're using Photoshop, you can just extract the transparency as selection (Select->Load Selection), which you can then use to make the alpha channel (make a new channel, set it black, fill the selection with white, that will give you the PNG transparency as alpha channel).

Since I looked up the menus for that, I quickly made DDS' out of the tourguide PNG, compressed and uncompressed (I recommend using the uncompressed version, the compression mangles small rounded shapes quite a bit - I wonder whether that's one of the reasons Firaxis uses the mangled DDS files - to preserve quality).

Attachments

• touristguide.7z
    8.7 KB · Views: 113
...Because you have to create the alpha channel.
Dude, I know. Not a photoshop noob here.

I created the alpha channel and everything, and for some reason when I saved the DDS and opened it, the alpha channel was empty. It was simply not saving it. I was saving DXT3.

Also yeah, what Tirian said - you can literally create an alpha channel out of transparency. If you drag the layer to create a new mask, it will automatically create a black and white mask based on the transparency which you can copy and paste into the alpha channel (though I think you have to invert it).

I created the alpha channel and everything, and for some reason when I saved the DDS and opened it, the alpha channel was empty. It was simply not saving it. I was saving DXT3.
I noticed when you have transparency AND alpha, it sometimes unchecks the "alpha channels" check box in the "Save As..." dialogue box, that might be it (it just happened to me when I did the export).

I noticed when you have transparency AND alpha, it sometimes unchecks the "alpha channels" check box in the "Save As..." dialogue box, that might be it (it just happened to me when I did the export).
It had no transparency when I was saving it as DDS. I created it afterwards for the png.

If you drag the layer to create a new mask, it will automatically create a black and white mask based on the transparency...
The shadows below the icons made that technique ugly (though I probably should have recreated those).

DXT3 is good for units, but for UI stuff with round edges, you really need to use DXT5.

DXT3 is good for units, but for UI stuff with round edges, you really need to use DXT5.
Even DXT5 is often problematic, that's why I provided the 8.8.8.8 encoded files (which basically are just uncompressed). Makes them a lot bigger, though (~ 4x the file size).

I wish we had a way to encode the UI textures the same way Firaxis does (run length encoding, that's why they are "scrambled" without Sterkhov's tool). :(

I've had to re-write the yield icon manager, and in the process I've removed the hard coded references to the icon sheets - these are now held in the database. This makes it really easy to swap the icon sheets - just load the new ones into the VFS and update the database table. So if you make new ones and people want them, they can easily use them, and if they don't, they don't - simples!

So I'd say "go for it" - I personally hate the culture and faith ones.

[[You can either make the sheets separate for each icon, or produce a combined one (like food/gold/prod/science) as the second new value in the database is the X-offset to get to the correct column of icons.

Edit: Possibly makes more sense with the actual data

Food - YieldAtlas.dds at 0 x-offset
Prod - YieldAtlas.dds at 128 x-offset
Gold - YieldAtlas.dds at 256 x-offset
Science - YieldAtlas.dds at 384 x-offset
Culture - YieldAtlas_128_Culture.dds at 0 x-offset
Faith - YieldAtlas_128_Faith.dds at 0 x-offset
Tourism - YieldAtlas_128_Tourism.dds at 0 x-offset
]]

I love the way little gems like this are just handed out as though its no big deal. :)
Just when do you find the time to do all this? By 'this' I am referring to all your great ideas. It just so happened that this particular idea prompted me to write.
Not that my plaudits are worth much but, thanks!!

I love the way little gems like this are just handed out as though its no big deal. :)
Just when do you find the time to do all this?

Usually on my train commute to work (lots of thinking/coding time), but I've also been coding for many more years than I care to remember, so re-writing code into a data-driven format is second nature.

Here is the fixed tourism yield, I've added both a 32 bit lossless version and the DXT5 one. See if any of them work.

Attachments

• tourismyields.zip
    142.9 KB · Views: 120
Another version of the golden age yields, this one shouldn't look as much like the GP icon...
Spoiler :

Attachment contains the compressed and uncompressed DDS (plus the PNG in case somebody wants to do edit it). :)

Attachments

• ga-yield.zip
    81 KB · Views: 115
Great work from all of you:goodjob:

I hope you dont mind, if we us the Guide dds. in CCTP.
For sure we will give you all the credit for your work;)

Top Bottom