• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh definitely! :D

And to Cutlass. I'm not sure either - he was putting forth the theory, I merely found it interesting enough to remember in this context a couple months later.

Does outside temperature affect a car's MPG?

I've been noticing my MPG when I'm driving to work. Last week, when it was about 60 in the morning, I got up to 27 MPG on my trip to work. This week, which was about 80 in the morning (ugh), I got nothing above 25 MPG. I don't think my driving habits changed much, since most of the drive is on a highway at 60-65 MPH.

I've been noticing my MPG when I'm driving to work. Last week, when it was about 60 in the morning, I got up to 27 MPG on my trip to work. This week, which was about 80 in the morning (ugh), I got nothing above 25 MPG. I don't think my driving habits changed much, since most of the drive is on a highway at 60-65 MPH.

Yes. Air temperature does affect combustion and in turn horsepower. I don't know any of the calculations for that unfortunately.

Lowest/coldest during both runs.

I'm not much of a 'car guy' (Formaldehyde would be a really good person to ask about this, he's got an "ask a car nut" thread somewhere here) but to my knowledge the AC gets its power from the fuel burned, so I think that would explain the poorer MPG.

EDIT: oops, you said it was on in both scenarios, so I guess that doesn't explain it (although perhaps it needs to use more energy on a hotter day?)

There are a lot of factors that might affect it. Air conditioner on high, and air conditioner on actually to the maximum physical capacity of the machine are 2 different things, and which you get depends upon how the controls for the machine are set up. Tires function differently at different temperatures. Wind can be different. The cooling capacity of the car can act differently, which can effect how the engine runs slightly.

Or your measurements can get lost in rounding errors. If you are using the car's trip computer, make sure you hit reset immediately before each trip.

There are a lot of factors that might affect it. Air conditioner on high, and air conditioner on actually to the maximum physical capacity of the machine are 2 different things, and which you get depends upon how the controls for the machine are set up. Tires function differently at different temperatures. Wind can be different. The cooling capacity of the car can act differently, which can effect how the engine runs slightly.

Or your measurements can get lost in rounding errors. If you are using the car's trip computer, make sure you hit reset immediately before each trip.

See above posts. I'm trying to keep my drives as normal as possible.

And my car as a built-in MPG thingamabob.

See above posts. I'm trying to keep my drives as normal as possible.

And my car as a built-in MPG thingamabob.

You still have to reset it for each trip. Say you spend 20 minutes on a highway. Then another day you spend 30 minutes running around town, and then 20 minutes on the highway. The car's computer may be including that as well. You have to know what the car is designed to be measuring.

You still have to reset it for each trip. Say you spend 20 minutes on a highway. Then another day you spend 30 minutes running around town, and then 20 minutes on the highway. The car's computer may be including that as well. You have to know what the car is designed to be measuring.

It does that automatically. :p

It does, but it probably isn't huge. Colder air is denser than hotter air meaning there is more oxygen in the same amount of volume. Depending on how rich or lean your car is set up to burn fuel air temperature, controlling for all other variables, should make some difference in the mpg you get.

I has a question.

I'm eating a plate of peach cobbler right now but I'm full and the cobbler is only halfway eaten. I hate wasting cobbler because it's so delicious but I'm scared I'm going to become fat if I eat all of it. Wat should I doooooo guise???

EDIT: too late, I ate it all :(

It does, but it probably isn't huge. Colder air is denser than hotter air meaning there is more oxygen in the same amount of volume. Depending on how rich or lean your car is set up to burn fuel air temperature, controlling for all other variables, should make some difference in the mpg you get.

yeah he said it much better than I. Only reason I knew was I think I heard them talk about it on some Nascar race (back when I watched such things).

I has a question.

I'm eating a plate of peach cobbler right now but I'm full and the cobbler is only halfway eaten. I hate wasting cobbler because it's so delicious but I'm scared I'm going to become fat if I eat all of it. Wat should I doooooo guise???

EDIT: too late, I ate it all

You answered your own question. Eat it.

For a follow-up answer you could go on the treadmill for an hour. :D

Of course there a a number of other variables that are affected by temperature and will affect fuel mileage (from tire pressure to various fluid viscosities) in addition to AC use, which is probably the biggest decrease from when temperatures are lower. Though from what I understand cold temperatures are generally worse (particularly while various components warm up to their normal temperature) but there is probably a point where it reverses.

Most of the changes are probably pretty small on their own but combined I could see them having noticeable effects.

How is it possible that North-Korea is still standing and has not ended in a civil war?
It's the worst country to live in in the world (on par with Somalia).
-It's government is the most corrupt in the world
-Its people are poor and sometimes die of starvation,while the government does nothing,enjoyes live and simply does not care about anything
-They kill you if you oppose the government
-It has one of the worst economies and that will remain so until Korea is reunified
-Freedom of speech is FORBIDDEN,can you believe that? They are violating the human rights!
They should be suspended from the United Nations and Korea should be reunified under a democrative government...
Or it will end up like the Arab countries (Libya,Tunisia,Syria...)

In countries like that, civil war most usually breaks out when a faction of the existing state apparatus breaks away and turns against the others. Even if they pose themselves as a popular revolt, and may even have a certain level of popular support- Libya is the handy example for this- they do not begin "from below", in the manner of a general revolt, or "from outside" in the manner of a focoist insurgency, both of which are as taillesskangaru pointed out pretty much precluded by the ruthlessness of the North Korean state.

Now, in all probability, the North Korean leadership is probably riven by factions. It's already strongly suspected that the military and the Workers' Party leadership do not get on (this would certainly mirror the USSR, PRC and many other regimes during their Stalinist phases). So what we're likely seeing is a situation in which the global situation is such that the factions are both forced and able to reach some accommodation with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom