The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLIII

@warpus Here are two suggestions:
You could put a small flock of metal birds like these.

Birds.jpg

A simpler solution that we like is to use rocks. We have rocks large and small in our house and in our yard. Find or buy a large enough rock that has a pleasing shape or color or texture and put it there. You would want it to be heavy enough so that it is not easy to move. If it were daylight, I would go take some pictures and post them. The nice thing about using rocks is that you can easily change them or later replace them with a more permanent object. You could even stack two or more rocks.

Can you post a pic?

I won't be home before at least sunday, but let me see.. I found a pic that should help explain exactly what i'm asking:
Spoiler :
I want to attach something decorative (or functional or both) in the spot with the red circle. Right where the post meets the deck, in that armpit. The less deckspace it uses, the better, but it's got to be at least an inch/couple cm wide at the base (the part that would be on the deck right up by the post, snug in the armpit)

@warpus Here are two suggestions:
You could put a small flock of metal birds like these.

A simpler solution that we like is to use rocks. We have rocks large and small in our house and in our yard. Find or buy a large enough rock that has a pleasing shape or color or texture and put it there. You would want it to be heavy enough so that it is not easy to move. If it were daylight, I would go take some pictures and post them. The nice thing about using rocks is that you can easily change them or later replace them with a more permanent object. You could even stack two or more rocks.

Unfortunately the birds won't work, as whatever I install there needs to cover the entire "armpit".

The rock is not a bad idea. Right now I am using a brick. What I like about the brick is that it has flat sides and 90 degree angles, so it fits in snugly in the "armpit". But it doesn't look nice. A rock is good but I would basically want one that snugly fits in there.. so it seems something artificial or at least carved out of rock would be needed.

The alternative would be to redo one of the deck boards, but I thought it might be an opportunity to install something unique to the deck and make it more interesting. I figured it'd be some sort of an ornament or light or something else useful or nice looking or both.. A larger statue type thing is not out of the question, but I was hoping for something smaller.

I found these metal things at a store not so dissimilar from the birds.. Instead of birds it was flowers though and there was a narrow metal base on which it rested, with holes for screws, long and wide enough to cover the whole armpit. It looks like it is probably meant to be screwed vertically, but it would fit in the armpit space screwed in to the deck. The thing is that flower designs are lame and sort of dangly in one direction. I would want something that's not an eye sore, more compact, it should probably snugly fit in that space somehow.. The flowers and birds are a step in the right direction though.

A light might be cool and the closest I have found to what would fit there are small triangular lights that people install on deck stairs. But I couldn't find anything that really fit well and would look natural there. The linked ones are too small, it wouldn't cover the whole armpit. In theory two side by side might work, but I am hoping there is a more elegant solution. I'm also not 100% on light shining sideways in that configuration making sense on my deck. One of the lights would basically shine towards the sliding door. It might not matter at all, but it might get annoying for the person sleeping in that room. At the same time, it might make it amazing for when you're out there in the middle of the night for whatever reason. Either way, the lights were designed for stairs and make 100% sense there, and they might just look out of place by a post like that.. but I'm considering it cause it seems like the idea might have some merit, just need to find the right product and light direction.

My first thought for this was a rectangular pot of some kind that fits in that space perfectly and that I can attach to the post or the deck or both, in which I could then plant stuff. But I couldn't find anything like that either and gravitated to smaller solutions

Last edited:
@warpus I took some pictures today for you to add to your thinking.

Spoiler :

Small block ~3"x5" dimensions Solar light
block rock.jpg
Light.jpg

A large flat rock suitable for sitting. ~12" round rock

flat rock.jpg
round rock.jpg

Turtle and bricks and wire cat 12" long replica of NY Library lions. Faux stone cast. If you like this idea. Let me know.

Turtle.jpg
Lion.jpg

I have two and would send you one.

Whoa.. that is incredibly nice of you to offer. Wouldn't that be expensive though? Or does faux stone not really weigh that much? Can you confirm that this is 12 inches long? I'm going to sound really picky right now, but ideally whatever I get shouldn't be much longer than the width of the post. I believe the post is 6 inches in width, or I guess actually a bit less than that.

Whoa.. that is incredibly nice of you to offer. Wouldn't that be expensive though? Or does faux stone not really weigh that much? Can you confirm that this is 12 inches long? I'm going to sound really picky right now, but ideally whatever I get shouldn't be much longer than the width of the post. I believe the post is 6 inches in width, or I guess actually a bit less than that.
The lion is 12.5" long. 4.5" wide and 5.5" tall. I'm guessing it weighs about 5+ pounds. The square edged base is a bit smaller since the lion overhangs a bit in places.

The lion is 12.5" long. 4.5" wide and 5.5" tall. I'm guessing it weighs about 5+ pounds. The square edged base is a bit smaller since the lion overhangs a bit in places.

I'm going to measure things on sunday, that's the next time I'm going to be at home. Will let you know, but I bet I could find a lion like that somewhere around here! Maybe? Just seems like a big hassle to get it shipped out there all the way from the other side of the continent, or so. But I really appreciate the offer!

Let's throw in another question: Anything about the painting of an orange peel ceiling I should know about that's significantly different from the painting of a wall? I already know I need a different kind of paint

I'm going to measure things on sunday, that's the next time I'm going to be at home. Will let you know, but I bet I could find a lion like that somewhere around here! Maybe? Just seems like a big hassle to get it shipped out there all the way from the other side of the continent, or so. But I really appreciate the offer!

Let's throw in another question: Anything about the painting of an orange peel ceiling I should know about that's significantly different from the painting of a wall? I already know I need a different kind of paint

Not that much. But if you want texture, buy the roller with the deepest nap you can find.

Good luck in your search. The two I have were cast by the company I used to own but sold 20 years ago. That owner retired two years ago and the company closed. The lion replicas are miniatures of the lions on the steps of the NYC Public Library. We did them under license from the Library.

"Patience and Fortitude, the world-renowned pair of marble lions that stand proudly before the majestic Beaux-Arts building at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street in Manhattan, have captured the imagination and affection of New Yorkers and visitors from all over the world since the Library was dedicated on May 23, 1911.

Their nicknames have changed over the decades. First they were called Leo Astor and Leo Lenox, after The New York Public Library founders John Jacob Astor and James Lenox. Later, they were known as Lady Astor and Lord Lenox (even though they are both male lions). During the 1930s, Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia named them Patience and Fortitude, for the qualities he felt New Yorkers would need to survive the economic depression."

NYC lions.jpg

Good luck in your search. The two I have were cast by the company I used to own but sold 20 years ago. That owner retired two years ago and the company closed. The lion replicas are miniatures of the lions on the steps of the NYC Public Library. We did them under license from the Library.

"Patience and Fortitude, the world-renowned pair of marble lions that stand proudly before the majestic Beaux-Arts building at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street in Manhattan, have captured the imagination and affection of New Yorkers and visitors from all over the world since the Library was dedicated on May 23, 1911.

Their nicknames have changed over the decades. First they were called Leo Astor and Leo Lenox, after The New York Public Library founders John Jacob Astor and James Lenox. Later, they were known as Lady Astor and Lord Lenox (even though they are both male lions). During the 1930s, Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia named them Patience and Fortitude, for the qualities he felt New Yorkers would need to survive the economic depression."

View attachment 689248
I used to work in the park next to that lion (Bryant park)

I own a pair of Patience and Fortitude book-ends, sold by the gift store there (years ago at least).

Treasured possessions.

Still sold to this day, the Googles tells me:

bookends.jpg

Those are nice bookends. Ours were made for outdoor use on a patio or in the garden. We sold them to the Library gift shop. :)

Report of antigravity have been around for a while. People are looking for new physics all the time but when it comes it takes time for people to actually embrace its existence. I have been reading reports for many years and often the people identified as being involved just seem to disappear or in some cases claims have been made that they have gone to work for some government somewhere. There seems to be something to it.

“The most important message to convey to the public is that a major discovery occurred,” Buhler told The Debrief. “This discovery of a New Force is fundamental in that electric fields alone can generate a sustainable force onto an object and allow center-of-mass translation of said object without expelling mass.”

Is anyone in the future ever going to use landline home phones?

That's what I'm using right now. And considering that I was offered a deal of $4/month by the telecom, I'm not going to complain. This was arrived at during a conversation when I explained that money's tight, I've been a loyal customer for over 20 years, was there any way to lower my bill.

It's not like I'm roaming around outside and need to call anyone unless I'm at the mall and need a taxi or to let the transit know I'm ready early. And then that's what customer service people are for.

They will all be dying off in the next decade or so....until there is a great revival like vinyl, then it will be a prestige item for the rich.

I've seen people stare at a rotary dial phone and ask each other how they work. There are YT videos of people trying to poke the numbers and getting frustrated when nothing happens.

Gone are the days when you can watch a murder mystery on TV and think it's perfectly normal to knock somebody out with the phone receiver.

the entire assembly was always more plausible than the hand held part .

just noticed anti-gravity thing . No , it does not work . No free lunches available .

Top Bottom