• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Nooma 1 - 5CC Pangaea

Bede said:
What I was getting at is the brief capture of the Great Library. So long as we don't know Education we will pick up all the techs known to at least two of the four on the island. Some consider it a slightly cheesy tactic but it is one to consider and play when the tech hole gets really deep, as it appears to be.

Hmmm, dont know.

I wasnt sure if we could do this, since it goes aginst the 5CC.

Labtec600 said:
Hmmm, dont know.

I wasnt sure if we could do this, since it goes aginst the 5CC.

The trick here is to abandon one of the five, capture the Great Library city, hold the new town long enough for the tech transfer to take place, then burn it and rebuild the original town (have a settler waiting). As I say it is a little gamey so if the rest of the team is opposed to it for that reason I've got no problem with that either, just thought it should be on the table for consideration.

I checked the disorder risk as soon as the ivory ran out. We were paying for an unnecessary luxury (we'd need two to cut back on slider spending). And don't you get the disorder from a lost lux the turn after the IBT anyway?

As for the library, I'd like to avoid it if possible, but if we need to, by all means go for it.

got it...smells of warmongering, hmm :D I like

Bede said:
The trick here is to abandon one of the five, capture the Great Library city, hold the new town long enough for the tech transfer to take place, then burn it and rebuild the original town (have a settler waiting). As I say it is a little gamey so if the rest of the team is opposed to it for that reason I've got no problem with that either, just thought it should be on the table for consideration.

hmmmmmmm....If we did that I think tabiz is the one to abandon.

Why not gift it to the Germans and then recapture after tech parity? That would be double-cheese.

save

Pre-Turn
need to increase lux to 20% since cities are unhappy
MM our cities to optimize shields (with 5 cities that isn't too much of work)

IT our keshiks get atacked and all my MM was for naught

1. 610AD
defeat a musket in the open and move in front of Tlaxcala
think about it a long time, but decide to drag in India to make sure we won't drown in Aztec units
they agree to join our crusade for 19gpt (we are making 77gpt at 10% lux now in the GA)

IT Aztecs and India exchnage some units near Tula, we lose an exposed keshik to a LB

2. 620AD
bombardment reveals that Talxcala has 4 defenders
lose 1 keshik, then

3. 630AD
spot an Indian Cav in the interturn, we retreat an Aztec knight, very little action indeed

IT our swords don't really cut it as we lose another 2 to LB's

4. 640AD
another lame counter with 1 MDI, I wonder what is going on. Maybe the fight at Tula is too intense
:mischief:
discover we have no embassy with Germany, rectify this

IT Aztec LB's decide to take on our mini stack instead of the main stack next to Teotihuacan

5. 650AD
Aztecs would talk, they do NOT have any saltpeter now, too bad
but now they got rifles, this will be really ugly
however, after bombardment, take out 3 rifles and 1 knight in exchange for a keshik and

we get another 6 slaves and 1 treb
take out 4 stray LB's trying to leaderfish

but ivory from Germany for flat 150gold so we won't trash our reputation just in case

6. 660AD
march on to Bursa

IT lose 2 keshiks on a moutain to LB's :mad:
a galleon shows up from the north

7. 670AD
zzz

8. 680AD
reach Bursa

IT then I get totally scared, as Aztecs land 1 knight :lol:

9. 690AD
but this knight turns out to be a super knight as he takes out 2 keshiks before succumbing to the 3rd :eek:
WW kicks in and I increase lux to 20%
things go much better at Bursa, we lose no unit

on to Tzinztunzen

IT now that's what I call cheats

10. 700AD
another deal with India ended and we make now 120gpt
we have several options

1. make peace with Aztecs and go and try to get the GL from Germany
we can make peace and get chemistry for 22gpt or
get 604g + 13gpt

2. Continue to fight until WW becomes unbearable

we could risk that and steal a tech from Carthago with that money, however, that's always a risk

I left the 2 stacks near Tzintzuntzen unmoved so we can decide what to do

barbslinger said:
Why not gift it to the Germans and then recapture after tech parity? That would be double-cheese.
\

:lol: Good one, 'slinger. It has the aroma to it.

I saw a nice way to get chemistry cheap, but it had an unfortunate side effect.

700(0): Printing press is still unknown; we could research theology in 5 turns or buy it (997g value) for ~669g, 14gpt

Extra food in Karakorum for a turn, extra gold in Ta-Tu
I'll attack Tzintzuntzen at least
could sell silks to Carthage for 4gpt, but that's pretty crappy

IBT: Aztecs lose 1 longbowman, we lose 2 MDI

710(1): kill 2 longbowmen

IBT: lose keshik, Aztecs drop off musket, cav, longbowman
Berlin builds Bach's

720(2): lose 3 keshiks, MDI razing Tzin (refuse to spell the rest), get 4 slaves
get leader :D
kill musket, cav, lose warrior attacking longbowman; kill knight, longbowman, threaten Aztec cities
buy chemistry, peace from Aztecs for 15gpt, 14g so leader (and workers) can go home safely
10% lux is possible by switch two Ulaanbaatar citizens to coast; switch it to temple
90% research on theology

730(3): zzz

740(4): buy theology from Carthage for silks, 335g
printing press still unknown, research set to complete in 5 turns (probably will be 6)
create army
can't demand Aztec longbowman leave, but I suggest it

IBT: Aztecs, India start Newton's

750(5): zzz

760(6): demand Aztecs leave, they declare; no WW
kill rifle; army heading towards Tenochtitlan

IBT: Carthage, Aztecs sign MA against us
Aztecs lose rifle

770(7): kill 2 rifles in Tenochtitlan
kill rifle, 2 longbowmen, musket

IBT: India, Carthage sign MA against us :eek:
lose three keshiks
No WH?

780(8): lose keshik, kill Aztec longbowman
start moving troops from Aztec land to Indian land
move workers in Indian land to distract
getting a monopoly with barely anyone to sell to seems less than useful, research to 0%

IBT: lose two keshiks, worker
Persia declares war on us due to MPP with Aztecs :crazyeye:

790(9): lose keshik, kill Indian cav

IBT: kill cav, lose two keshiks, two workers

800(10): golden age is over, so 20% lux is necessary; haven't checked new shields

Notes: Aztec galleon on west coast hasn't dropped off units
Military units are fortified in Ta-Tu, in the northeast, and the army to the north
At least we'll finally have some wines soon (razing Karachi)
We don't need the luxes from Germany now, since 20% lux is necessary
When we can get some peace treaties, hopefully printing press will still be a monopoly
Chances are we can get a leader to rush the Heroic Epic

Attachments

• Nooma1_800AD-1.JPG
    Nooma1_800AD-1.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Nooma1_800AD-2.JPG
    Nooma1_800AD-2.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Nooma1_800_AD.SAV
    171 KB · Views: 96
I saw a nice way to get chemistry cheap, but it had an unfortunate side effect.

700(0): Printing press is still unknown; we could research theology in 5 turns or buy it (997g value) for ~669g, 14gpt

Extra food in Karakorum for a turn, extra gold in Ta-Tu
I'll attack Tzintzuntzen at least
could sell silks to Carthage for 4gpt, but that's pretty crappy

IBT: Aztecs lose 1 longbowman, we lose 2 MDI

710(1): kill 2 longbowmen

IBT: lose keshik, Aztecs drop off musket, cav, longbowman
Berlin builds Bach's

720(2): lose 3 keshiks, MDI razing Tzin (refuse to spell the rest), get 4 slaves
get leader :D
kill musket, cav, lose warrior attacking longbowman; kill knight, longbowman, threaten Aztec cities
buy chemistry, peace from Aztecs for 15gpt, 14g so leader (and workers) can go home safely
10% lux is possible by switch two Ulaanbaatar citizens to coast; switch it to temple
90% research on theology

730(3): zzz

740(4): buy theology from Carthage for silks, 335g
printing press still unknown, research set to complete in 5 turns (probably will be 6)
create army
can't demand Aztec longbowman leave, but I suggest it

IBT: Aztecs, India start Newton's

750(5): zzz

760(6): demand Aztecs leave, they declare; no WW
kill rifle; army heading towards Tenochtitlan

IBT: Carthage, Aztecs sign MA against us
Aztecs lose rifle

770(7): kill 2 rifles in Tenochtitlan
kill rifle, 2 longbowmen, musket

IBT: India, Carthage sign MA against us :eek:
lose three keshiks
No WH?

780(8): lose keshik, kill Aztec longbowman
start moving troops from Aztec land to Indian land
move workers in Indian land to distract
getting a monopoly with barely anyone to sell to seems less than useful, research to 0%

IBT: lose two keshiks, worker
Persia declares war on us due to MPP with Aztecs :crazyeye:

790(9): lose keshik, kill Indian cav

IBT: kill cav, lose two keshiks, two workers

800(10): golden age is over, so 20% lux is necessary; haven't checked new shields

Notes: Aztec galleon on west coast hasn't dropped off units
Military units are fortified in Ta-Tu, in the northeast, and the army to the north
At least we'll finally have some wines soon (razing Karachi)
We don't need the luxes from Germany now, since 20% lux is necessary (but getting the wines as well would allow 10% lux)
When we can get some peace treaties, hopefully printing press will still be a monopoly
Chances are we can get a leader to rush the Heroic Epic

I've got it but can't play until Thursday, so if someone wants a shot at some Aztecs we can swap.

Well, we all knew it was going to get worse before it got better and it did, by 830AD we were at war with everybody who mattered and facing cavalry and riflemen with Keshiks and trebs...

So the first priority was to get the army home, and deal some damage to the Indians along the way.

That's exactly what was done, as almost everybody got home safe, two newly built Indian cities were razed but try as I could I couldn't muster enough force to capture Karachi

but it was a damned good thing I swapped all the Keshik builds to muskets as Gandhi's cavalry came out of Karachi and threatened both TA-tu and Karakorum

I turned up the heat on the scientists to see if Printing Press couldn't be used to buy off the weaker of the attackers (India and Carthage), and by 850AD I was able to do that and acquire both Metallurgy and Military Tradition and still have enough cash left to upgrade the veteran Keshiks. I also paid them enough ~70gpt between them, that maybe they will start to catch up to Azteca.

I was also able to reacquire Ivory from India, which helped pay for the treaty deals.

The army got home just in time to deal with Aztec and German incursions which are aimed at Ta-tu

I have pushed the workers out to the hills between Ta-Tu and India to get some fortresses up It would be nice to be able to funnel the attackers onto ground of our choosing.

There was a brief moment of panic when Tabriz fell to the Aztecs, it was back in our hands immediately, and another when an Aztec rifleman succeeded in pillaging the horse road. But all is now back in trim.

War weariness is a problem, which will begin to fade as we kill more of the enemy and keep the troops at home. There is a small starvation problem at Ulaanbaater and Kazan due to treasury issues and the need to run clowns rather than raise the luxury stipend. Yeah, I know, I mortaged the economy to get us to cavalry but trying to whip rifles with Keshiks and trebs is a real non-starter. Uulanbaatar is building a courthouse so that we can get a little more effectiveness out of the luxury allocation, and we may want to consider a harbor for the same purpose.

The lack of updated troops for our opponents is what is saving our bacon. Aztecs send a single rifle with some longbows, Germany sends KT's and a rifle. Germany did hit Ta-tu pretty hard with cavalry right after the war started with them but they all retreated back home after being dealt uppercuts by the muskets in the garrison. We have not had to face a flood of contemporary troops, yet.

And we are also now at war with Spain.:eek:

I've forgotten what the roster is, so I'll repost it:
Labtec600 - up
Pneuma - on deck
ThERat
TimBentley
Bede - just played

We could sign peace with Persia and trade our bottom techs for his upper techs, although that's not urgent, and it would be nice to get some cash. He's scientifically equal according to the foreign advisor, so I assume that means he knows the same number of techs (i.e. banking and astronomy). He could be researching printing press, music theory, navigation, or chemistry, but it seemed that chemistry was undervalued compared to education (but that could be the AI ripping us off).

Top Bottom