Nobles' Club 347: Boudica of the Celts

Mostly non-spoiler question:

If an AI you are at war with peace-vassals to a third party, what determines your war/peace status after that event? Sometimes you get in forced war with the suzerain and sometimes in forced peace with the vassal. I'm not sure if all forced peaces were because of an existing peace treaty with the suzerain.

Also a general comment (in spoiler) about the map:
Spoiler :

It seems you can do better with that start with Boudica, on the other hand no matter how nice the land is Pottery is a long way for the Celts, and our only initial target is teching really well. With knowledge of copper, now I'm wondering if a 3-city (2-city?) gallic rush would have worked better, may try it out later.
There are two situations: you alone are fighting a civ; your opponent is also fighting another civ(s).

In the first, your opponent can bribe another civ to declare war on you. It works in the same way as a war bribe save that the bribe offered is agreeing to become a vassal rather than giving tech or gold. Here you end up at war with your opponents new master.

In the second, your opponent decides to capitulate to another civ it is fighting. You are then forced into peace with your former opponent. You would not be forced into war with your former war ally.

There are two situations: you alone are fighting a civ; your opponent is also fighting another civ(s).

In the first, your opponent can bribe another civ to declare war on you. It works in the same way as a war bribe save that the bribe offered is agreeing to become a vassal rather than giving tech or gold. Here you end up at war with your opponents new master.

In the second, your opponent decides to capitulate to another civ it is fighting. You are then forced into peace with your former opponent. You would not be forced into war with your former war ally.
just off topic.
in CIV3 IIRC, you could become a vassal yourself. I even managed to win once from a vassalage position.
I don´t think it´s possible in CIV 4, is it?

still about your explanations:
1) "In the first, your opponent can bribe another civ to declare war on you. It works in the same way as a war bribe save that the bribe offered is agreeing to become a vassal rather than giving tech or gold. Here you end up at war with your opponents new master."
ok this one makes sense, but I didn´t realize civ4 leaders will do this.

2) "In the second, your opponent decides to capitulate to another civ it is fighting. You are then forced into peace with your former opponent. You would not be forced into war with your former war ally."
so this one is essentially the same, the leader vassalages themselves, but in exchange of peace. so he then accepts the same diplomatic status as the master, which is peace with you

what happened in my game: Qin asked me to war on Bismark. With Bismark I had horrible status, with Qin, perfect status (same religion buddies).
some turns later, Bismark vassalages to Quin, and Quin immediately destroys me,
This situation seems not intuitive, fair and is probably what is causing bad vibes. It could be explained by 1), but why did Quin declare with perfects dimplomatic standing? Still seems like a bug.

I have to say I hate the vassalage mechanics and miss pre BTS games. I hate it about as much as the tech trading between AIS.

T216

Spoiler :

Was first to Steel in 1100 AD, and could trade for Saladin's Rifling soon after he became a vassal. After getting enough cannons/grenadiers/rifles out (and ensuring Bismarck couldn't be bribed against me by bribing him myself of begging for peace), I successively declared on China, Japan and the Mayas who each capitulated rather quickly. A bit too quickly in fact as I should have taken more land from them, I ended up with 55% of population and 59% of land. So instead of domination I would have to wait for the UN for a diplo victory (or just build enough numbers to face Bismarck's infantry).

nc347_t216.png

@Nicol.Bolas It’s not clear what happened to me either. If you post a save, I can take a look.

If you don’t like the vassal mechanic, you can always turn it off. Although, I’ve actually learnt to like it (or at least prefer the game with it turned on). It shortens the game and can actually make it easier on higher levels because your vassals can tech for you. Of course sometimes you can get screwed by a peace vassal creating a monster on another continent without you being able to do anything about it but I can live with that happening from time to time if it means I’m not guaranteed to have to completely wipe out three or four civs to win any game I play.

Monarch 275bc.
Spoiler :
Quite a tricky start, good production but poor commerce. After basic worker techs went for aesthetics (500bc) which I was able to trade for alpha, maths and IW. Just got currency, traded for calendar, so keeping up with research at the moment. Reckon it'll be axepult/elepult against Zara as the next phase.

Attachments

• Boudica temp.CivBeyondSwordSave
    122.2 KB · Views: 4
@Nicol.Bolas It’s not clear what happened to me either. If you post a save, I can take a look.

If you don’t like the vassal mechanic, you can always turn it off. Although, I’ve actually learnt to like it (or at least prefer the game with it turned on). It shortens the game and can actually make it easier on higher levels because your vassals can tech for you. Of course sometimes you can get screwed by a peace vassal creating a monster on another continent without you being able to do anything about it but I can live with that happening from time to time if it means I’m not guaranteed to have to completely wipe out three or four civs to win any game I play.
unfortunately I only have a save abut 40 turns before that, before the full conquest of japan

Monarch 1360ad
Spoiler :
Dowed Zara 1ad (axepult/elepult) captured five cities but started running out of steam and Zara got longbows so peaced out 600ad leaving Zara with two cities, he soon vassaled to Toku and culture is a nuisance. Slowly researched towards steel (side trips to music for free GA, optics for circumnav) and finally got there this turn. Upgraded a few trebs, gonna whip more cannon and try to stomp Toku/Zara. Saladin has peace vassaled to me, I'm top on scoreboard but trailing in research. hey ho.

1655 Con/Dom
Spoiler :
Techs: 1510 rifling, 1560 communism, 1600 artillery.
conquests: Zara 1450, cap Toku 1530, cap Bis 1585, cap Pacal 1620, cap Qin 1650.

Attachments

• Boudica temp.CivBeyondSwordSave
    228.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Top Bottom