• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you tell if you're dead?

How can you tell if you're dead?

I assume you're asking about clinical death:

Clinical death is the medical term for cessation of blood circulation and breathing, the two necessary criteria to sustain life. It occurs when the heart stops beating in a regular rhythm, a condition called cardiac arrest. The term is also sometimes used in resuscitation research.

Stopped blood circulation has historically proven irreversible in most cases. Prior to the invention of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), defibrillation, epinephrine injection, and other treatments in the 20th century, the absence of blood circulation (and vital functions related to blood circulation) was historically considered to be the official definition of death. With the advent of these strategies, cardiac arrest came to be called "clinical death" rather than simply "death" to reflect the possibility of post-arrest resuscitation; for medical purposes, it is considered to be the final physical state before permanent death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_death

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_world_maps

Be careful though, "world maps" in many ancient and medieval cultures aren't generally meant to be accurate geographic representation. Some are conceptual, others distort landmasses to represent some information or to make a political statement, and fanciful or speculated lands were often added in to fill gaps in geographic knowledge, et cetera.

That's what I want. I want to see how crude their interpretation of the Earth was.

That's what I want. I want to see how crude their interpretation of the Earth was.
It's important to remember, mind, these maps were about cosmology as much as geography, so while they might be crude as literal depictions of a physical landscape, they could be very sophisticated as expressions of an ideological one.

The English moors that feature prominently in so many old stories, what are they like now? Southern England is pretty densely populated, have all these places become suburbs?

Exmoor and Dartmoor are national parks, with Exmoor in Somerset and northern Devon and Dartmoor . Outside of those parks you can find some large towns and cities like Exeter and Taunton, but I think the parks themselves only have a few villages. They are in the South West of England, which is seen as a mostly rural part of the country.

The English moors that feature prominently in so many old stories, what are they like now? Southern England is pretty densely populated, have all these places become suburbs?
The moors are mostly in the North and the West, actually, and they're pretty much as they always were. It's a terrain which is too rugged and exposed to be of much use as housing, so you won't find more than a few villages tucked in the valleys. There are some issues with conservation in certain moorlands where they do brush up against settled areas, but no drastic changes.

I live about 10 minutes away from the North York Moors. They are areas that have been designated unavailable for building or town expansion so they are unlikely to become suburbs. I think the thought of them becoming suburbs is the American misconception that England is one big city; we are bigger than you think. ;)

I've been to these places personally. That last one reminds me of Skyrim. :lol:

Hell, RLF, the lack of any people adds to the charm. :)

I'm looking for some reading material pertaining to Ancient Greece and Rome. For Greece I would like material covering the rise of Alexander, his conquests and campaigns and the subsequent fighting among the Diadochi. As for Rome I want to read about the later days of the empire, 300 AD onwards.

I don't want extremely heavy reading material; just something informative and interesting to read, preferably with pictures and illustrations. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It pains me to admit it but they are beautiful pictures. I think the lack of Englishmen adds to the charm. (And Salty, I did tell ya I'd get ya back one day when the time was right)

Ah well... it's always fun to rib you Aussies. ;)

Get Egypt, Greece & Rome by Charles Freeman. I can recommend it. :)

I live about 10 minutes away from the North York Moors. They are areas that have been designated unavailable for building or town expansion so they are unlikely to become suburbs. I think the thought of them becoming suburbs is the American misconception that England is one big city; we are bigger than you think. ;)

I've been to these places personally. That last one reminds me of Skyrim. :lol:

I always forget how stunning that landscape is, thank goodness there's not much useful dirt under there though or people like myself would have had at it with plows a long time ago.

Well...moreso.

I'm trying to find a song that is kind of stuck in my head. Hopefully my vague details will be able to help.

It is not a modern song. I can't tell what decade it's from, but definitely before the 90's.
It doesn't have a lot of lyrics, I can only remember one line (it may be the only lyrics, AFAIK).
I can't make it out, but it sounds like one of these:

"On the way"
"On da way"
"On my way"
"All the way"
"All da way"
"All the day"

Sorry if that doesn't help, lol. I think the main melody is whistled a few times. It is kind of an upbeat song and the singer sounds like a baritone or bass.

I also associate it with some children's movie(s) that I watched when I was younger. It usually plays during traveling montages.

Has it ever happened in OT that someone posted something so good in a debate thread that nobody else coul;d think of anything to say and then the thread stopped posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom