HowTo convert from MGE to Classic (2.42)

starlifter

Deity
If you have MGE and want to downgrade to Civ 2 Classic (2.42), then here are the steps:

1. Make a duplicate copy of your MGE directory tree wherever you want to play it.

2. Install Cedric Greene's outstanding Downgrade from MGE to FW.

3. If you need to, install WinG to allow FW to work. Here is the link to my instructions for WinG.

4. If you want to keep a separate copy of FW, then make a copy of the whole FW directory wherever you like.

5. Use the 2.42 patch (from the Downloads section of CFC), and simply copy the contents of the patch archive (it is zipped) into the directory, and now you've got a 2.42 version of Civ!!!

Thanks to Andu Indorin for figuring out how to Downgrade from FW to Classic, and and Cedric Greene for his MGE to FW patch!

:cool:

EDIT: See Cedrics remarks below... Step #5 is unnecessary because Cedric's patch already has the executable for 2.42: It is called civ2orig.exe, and if you make a link (shortcut) to it, well then you already have Civ 2 Classic (2.42)!!! Yahoo!

I could be wrong, but I think there is a copy of the 2.42 exe in my FW patch, should be called Civ2orig.exe and also one called Civ2scen.exe which would be version 2.62 (CiC) so I believe these steps unnecessary unless of course I'm wrong ;)

I could be wrong, but I think there is a copy of the 2.42 exe in my FW patch, should be called Civ2orig.exe and also one called Civ2scen.exe which would be version 2.62 (CiC) so I believe these steps unnecessary unless of course I'm wrong

Well by golly Cedric, I just took a look & saw that file just like you said... and sure enough, it works!! It's 2.42... I had 7 variations of the Civ2 executable in my root directory of the Civ 2 FW directory where I installed your patch (the extra variants are from things like NoCD patches). I had not really noticed nor tried that file civ2orig.exe file before! Now I have 3 "separate" Civ installs on this drive (& renamed some files):

The cumbersome method of "downgrade" evolved in this thread, BTW.

I must have missed that juicy tidbit in your documentations, and the title of your downgrade kindof misled me... I always assumed it was "just" a FW downgrade from MGE!!!

Well thanks again, Cedric... your patch is great!! :goodjob:

Top Bottom