The Wonder Plan

What ancient age plan should we aim for?

• Great Lighthouse

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Great Library

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Hanging Gardens

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Militaristic Goals, Heroic Epic

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chiefpaco

Emperor
What wonder and overall strategy should we aim for? I proposed a handful of ancient age plans in this thread: The Wonder Plan and it seems time to vote. Note, this approach will likely allow us to build 1 wonder at the maximum or as likely, zero. Note that we are playing on Emperor and building them all just does not seem feasable.

Note, dedicating ourselves to one path may exclude us from others so choose wisely.

A recap of my proposals (the ones that received the most feedback):
Destination: Great Library
- Prebuild in a dedicated city.
- Literature (and techs up to).
- Keep up in tech until Education

Destination: Great Lighthouse
- Prebuild in a dedicated coastal city
- Map Making
- Use our navy to help expand

Destination: Hanging Gardens
- Later prebuild in a dedicated city
- Monarchy
- More happiness

Destination: Militaristic Dominance (no wonders)
- The Wheel, Horseback Riding, Iron Working (not necessarily in that order)
- Build forces instead of wonders to capture them
- May generate the Heroic Epic sooner and use leaders to hurry wonders

maybe this could have been made multiple choice as i want both the great library and great lighthouse

We're aiming here, BCLG100. You can't aim at two different things at once.

The Heroic Epic can be built at any time you have a victorious army.

Originally posted by Cyc
We're aiming here, BCLG100. You can't aim at two different things at once.

Well, not really Cyc. The point of the military option is to generate great leaders so that we can rush a couple great wonders. To best use that strategy we'd have to use the first leader for an army so it can win a battle so we can build the heroic epic. I doubt we would rush the epic. A second and third great leader would go into rushing great wonders.

Donsig, I understand the concept completely, as I have posted in other threads stating what you just told me. The opening post of this poll kind of captures the meaning of the military option, but doesn't stress the point of using the first great leader as an army. It says "may" generate the HE sooner, when in fact that would be the goal. To your point about rushing the Heroic Epic, we wouldn't be able to do that unless we made the great leader an army an won a battle. This would allow us to create the HE, which would increase our chances of getting more GL's sooner so that we could rush Wonders. (Sorry to be repetititive, but I've already stated this in a post, a couple of days ago.)

As far as BCLG100's comment, I don't see your point. If cp is asking us to vote on which Wonder to build first, why would we want to give two choices? The poll asks, "Do we concentrate on the HE, or the GL, or the GLib, or the HG?" It doesn't say "Please give me a vague list of the Wonders you'd like to see built in the Ancient Age". The heading of the poll asks which Ancient Age plan should we "AIM" for, and that's where I got the phrase from. I am also still opposed to the wishy-washy approach of multiple-answer polls. I believe if you can make up your mind, don't vote.

But, the chances are usually low (minus Demogame 1, where we got atleast 1 in every war!). I would use one on a very important wonder, then get another GL to build an army.

CT, the chances of getting a great leader depend to a great extent on military tactics. It is quite possible to generate Great Leaders on a fairly regular basis when playing as a militaristic civ, and even easier to do so once the Heroic Epic has been constructed. All that is required is a large military and careful management of elites.

Perhaps hidden underneath the militaristic strategy is the choice to build 0 wonders. I think that's more to the point of it. Instead of using 400 shields to build the pyramids, build 20 horsemen and conquer... that kind of approach. Perhaps I should have also included an option to build none AND expand peacefully but no one proposed it so...

Originally posted by Cyc
Donsig, I understand the concept completely... To your point about rushing the Heroic Epic, we wouldn't be able to do that unless we made the great leader an army an won a battle...

Cyc, I know you know all this stuff. My post was for the benefit of those who don't understand what we're talking about. ;)

As for rushing the Heroic Epic we could certainly do that with our second great leader (after the first formed an army and scored a victory). What I was implying was that we would use the second leader to rush a Great Wonder and build the Heroic Epic the regular way.

Originally posted by chiefpaco
Perhaps hidden underneath the militaristic strategy is the choice to build 0 wonders. I think that's more to the point of it. Instead of using 400 shields to build the pyramids, build 20 horsemen and conquer... that kind of approach.

sounds like a great idea to me.

I voted for the Great Library.

Since our science path is not bee-lining towards Literature, the only way we'll get to build it is with a Great Leader, if it's still available. (We might be able to pre-build in a city, and then trade for Literature, also.)

Originally posted by donsig

Cyc, I know you know all this stuff. My post was for the benefit of those who don't understand what we're talking about. ;)

As for rushing the Heroic Epic we could certainly do that with our second great leader (after the first formed an army and scored a victory). What I was implying was that we would use the second leader to rush a Great Wonder and build the Heroic Epic the regular way.

I agree. Hurrying Wonders with the great leaders is by far more rewarding than capturing them. The Heroic Epic should give you these great leaders more often. It seems to me everyone's Wonder could be taken care this way.

i think the HE would best use the abilities of the civ we have gone with, with cheap military buildings we can get vets quicker (ie cheaper barracks = faster build), and with that faster elites and therefore earlier leader (in theory). we should if we take the military course get the HE quickly which can allow us to get leaders quicker and then we rush, if that doesnt happen we can still use our military to capture wonders, the costs maybe more or less depending on our realitive military might and the No. of units we lose taking the wonder......... HE for emperor should be our best bet.......and so should a military course of action.

I also voted Great Library as we're also scientific (I know militaristic as well,but by GL we can shorten the time till our panzers arrive)

If we spend shields on the GLib instead of military units we increase the chances that we might not even make it as far as Panzers, let alone be able to produce them in useful numbers. Anyone else noticed how hostile rival civs tend to become if you acquire literacy before them and refuse to trade it to them?

Top Bottom