New Unit: Generic Modern Armor

utahjazz7

Deity
Here, this is a modern armor unit. It's not a historic tank, just for fun. Umm . . . the attack animation runs really quickly in-game, but it is fine in FLICster, the program we all know and love. I don't know how to fix this. :( Does anyone? The default animation might be too noticable, but it's not rediculous. Other than that, everything went well in my test scenerio. :) If something is not in the .zip, let me know. Ahh, I have no name for this unit. Everything is named "TankUnit." The folder and .ini will need to be renamed whatever the unit is named in the Civ3 Editor.

Download. Then, download the improved default and AttackB animations.

Here's a larger view of the model.

Originally posted by Yoda Power
I like the attack animation:goodjob:

I like it too . . . in FLICster. I can't get it to run right in the game though. Help, anyone?

Did you check your pallete to make sure the colors are congruent with CivIII's pallete? I used to have that problem when I used Animation Shop.

Originally posted by Scipio Africanu
Did you check your pallete to make sure the colors are congruent with CivIII's pallete? I used to have that problem when I used Animation Shop.

Yeah, after I used the screen capture from PSP I loaded the color pallete from Boulboulgadol's Torro tank. So, there shouldn't be a problem with that.

Hey I am glad to see another person using my tutorial!

I'll add a post to the tutorial about a trick I learned to add good fireballs.

Originally posted by Neomega
Hey I am glad to see another person using my tutorial!

I'll add a post to the tutorial about a trick I learned to add good fireballs.

That's good becasye I can't make good fireballes. (This post is hoorrible becasue I was ouyt at a party for a while tongiht. I even saw my brother-in-law's sister, not taht anyone careas.

Originally posted by zulu9812
The attack animation could do with some smoke, and the default animation bounces up and down too much for my tastes.

Well, as I said in my last post, I can't make smoke or fireballs that look nice. Rather than have bad looking ones, I just left them out all together.

Zulu, you probably know this, but I'll write it for anyone else, who might not. It wouldn't be hard for you to change the default animation, if you're so inclined. Just export the default animation with FLICster, the program we all know and love, but give it just four frames. Right now the six-frame sequence is 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1. If you cut the animation to four frames, the sequence could be cut-and-pasted to be 1, 2, 2, 1. Then, just export the storyboard back to a "CivIII unit .flc." Then, your default animation shouldn't be as bouncy.

I made a default air explosion storyboard by using the f-14 story board and replacing one by one all of the grays and blues in the palette with magenta. Soon just jet explosions sans jets were left.

You could make default fireballs/smoke/tank muzzle flash/etc... in the same fashion by opening tankattackA.flc in flicster, and then replacing all of the brown tones with magenta. All that would be left would be the "muzzle flash". :) does that make sense?

Good looking armor utahjazz7

Good idea Neomega, never thought of that

This is a nice unit, but I agree, can you put some smoke into the attack animation, otherwise it just kinda looks, well it looks weird to me. But, again, this is a great unit.

Originally posted by Neomega
I made a default air explosion storyboard by using the f-14 story board and replacing one by one all of the grays and blues in the palette with magenta. Soon just jet explosions sans jets were left.

You could make default fireballs/smoke/tank muzzle flash/etc... in the same fashion by opening tankattackA.flc in flicster, and then replacing all of the brown tones with magenta. All that would be left would be the "muzzle flash". :) does that make sense?

I think that that makes sense, but I'm not sure. Hmm . . . you suggest opening the tankattackA.flc from CivIII. Then essentially I would delete--make magenta--everything except for the explosion, flash, smoke, etc. Then I would have a fireball sequence which I could paste into my attack animations. That seems like that would work for the fireball and smoke. I will try this at some point . . . maybe not with the unit but my next.

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to make better animations, but I've no experience. It's going to take some practice.

Originally posted by computerdude113
This is a nice unit, but I agree, can you put some smoke into the attack animation, otherwise it just kinda looks, well it looks weird to me. But, again, this is a great unit.

It's amazing what a little outside pressure can do. Okay, for Zulu I went ahead and toned down the default animation. It is no longer quite so bouncy. Now, for ComputerDude and those who like explosions, I reworked the AttackB animation. There is an explosion. Hopefully, it won't look so weird anymore. You can download the updated files here, or at the original post. Oh, the AttackB animation now runs a lot better in my game. I wonder if there may have just been a problem when I exported my storyboard. Hmm . . . the world may never know. Anyway, hopefully everyone will like these updated animations more than the originals; otherwise, I have wasted my time.

Originally posted by Schizo_Angel
May I ask again, what's the lights on the back for?

Well, military men do like to have fun from time to time. So, I gave this unit some disco lights so that they can "get-down and boogie" anytime, anywhere. The tank also has great reception for radio broadcasts.

Actually, they're not for anything. I was just trying to be creative--apparently not hard enough. During the AttackA animation, the tank's barrel extends. At the same time the lights light-up from the back to the front until the red light is lit. Unfortunately, the palette I used and the size of the unit, do not make this lighting very obvious . . . RATFINK! Sorry, my junior high bus driver used to yell "RATFINK!" whenever anyone ran the bus's stop sign, and I haven't been able to stop since. Coincidentally, my high school graphic arts teacher was very familiar with the "RATFINK" as well.

Hehe, those miltary men. You know those helmets are only for keeping their afros in check. :)

Thats cool, I didnt realise as I cant download the unit on this comp

Originally posted by Schizo_Angel
Thats cool, I didnt realise as I cant download the unit on this comp

No problem. The lights didn't end up as nice as I would have liked anyway.

Top Bottom