SP6 - Deity Training

Sirp

Emperor
This is a training day game for players looking to cross the gap from Monarch/Emperor to Deity. The game is already full and overflowing at the time of starting this thread, so unfortunately there can be no new signups.

The game settings are:

EDIT: Patch: PTW 1.21f
Civilization: Americans (Expansionist, Industrious)
Rivals: Six Random
Winning Conditions: Semi-bloodlust, i.e. Domination and Conquest only.
Respawn on, culturally linked starts off.
World Size: Standard, Pangaea, 60% Water
Roaming Barbarians
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Temperate

With one less than the maximum number of opponents, and 60% water for lots of room, this should tend to be a builder's game. Still, grabbing enough land on Deity is always tough, and we might have to go to war for whatever reason sooner than we'd like.

The barbarians are also going to be tough. With the AIs racing to horseback riding, they'll be mounted in no time at all, so getting bronze working early for us will be a must.

Remember, we're expansionist so we can enter as many goody huts as we like. Note that if we were not expansionist we would NOT enter many goody huts at all, and would mainly try to do so in ways that cannot produce barbarians (before we have military, or by founding a city next to the hut).

The roster:

Stormrider
Sirp
Matt_g
Renata
Borealis

The starting location is the first one that came along. It would have been restarted if it didn't look pretty good though.

Our starting location:

The Game

Normally in a training game, I would prefer to refrain from giving too much advice, rather watching player's make their own mistakes, to be corrected. However, since this is on Deity, I'm going to have to give a little more advice than I'd otherwise like to.

Additionally, if any player really isn't confident about some aspect of what they should do during their turn, hold off on playing and instead ask for advice and discussion. Time to play will be extended if necessary if players need it to solicit advice.

Some observations about the starting location:

- the coast to the north-east is of interest. We definitely want to check it out before settling. The preferred city location would probably be one space north-east of where the settler stands.
- the worker definitely wants to move straight onto the cattle. As long as the city is where the settler stands, or one space to the north-east of it, the irrigation will go 'through the city' and so the worker can just irrigate the cattle directly.

Stormrider will play 15 turns, then I will play 15 turns, and everyone else will play 10 turns from there. Remember, opening turns take much longer when you're expansionist.

This is going to be Glorious! Good luck everyone!

-Sirp.

Missed it to, seems to be alot of us who need help jumping from Emp to deity

I did made the jump, but it wasn't easy! I will check this thread out, for it might be very well possible there are many tips & tricks!

Whoa, so much interest! ToddMarshall was considering starting a similiar game of his own, so if that happens some of you might be able to jump on, but I emphasize 'some', since with the number of enthusiastic players, it sounds like even a second Deity TDG wouldn't meet the demand.

-Sirp.

Swift, Meli, Nad, Aggie,

We can 'steal' the save and start a new thread! We are all in the same timezone (well almost).

Good idea?

Stapel: Yup you guys would be welcome to play a 'competing' game although uhh...it is on 1.21f, and considering you guys all seem to be in Europe it probably won't work for you :-/

I would have played the game under 1.14f, except when I realized all signed up players could play using 1.21f that's what I went for.

If you do manage to do this, players here will be expected to not look at your thread, and I would suggest you guys don't look at this thread, until the game is done. Otherwise, cool idea, and I'm fine with it :)

-Sirp.

Originally posted by Stapel
Swift, Meli, Nad, Aggie,

We can 'steal' the save and start a new thread! We are all in the same timezone (well almost).

Good idea?

I agree! If Sirp's fine with it... What patch?

EDIT: I see...it's 1.21... I'm going to upgrade to 1.21. But what about the rest? (don't worry, I also will be able to play 1.14 for my other SG's...)

Thanks Sirp! As you wish, we shall not cheat! :nono:

Aggie:

We are all europeans so we all have 1.14 I guess????

How come you have 1.21? Can you try the save in both 1.14 and 1.21?

Not too much pressure. Taking the first turn on my first Diety game :eek:

That being said, I am up to the challenge. This is my 'got it' .

Stormrider

Time to Rock and Roll!! [dance] :band: [dance]

This is going to be fun.

Suggestion: Since so many 1.14 people want to do a shadow, reroll the start. There is little time invested in this start. I doubt that it would take long to get a comparable starting point....

Originally posted by Ridgelake
Suggestion: Since so many 1.14 people want to do a shadow, reroll the start. There is little time invested in this start. I doubt that it would take long to get a comparable starting point....

Of course this is up to Sirp, but since he will probably ask, I'll answer now. Either way is fine with me. I don't care which patch we play with. :)

Edit: Since I am at home today, (contract ended, temporarily unemployed.) ;) I played around with starts using Sirps settings and the 1.14 patch and rolled a real good one second time out.
Better than the one posted IMHO. I would post a screen shot but I want to see what Sirp has to say about all this before I do anything. :)

Originally posted by Nad
you and me both, Aggie

*Ahem* I am also Shadowing this one also :)

@Sirp - Shall I shadow your turns :).

Originaly posted from Sirp
- the coast to the north-east is of interest. We definitely want to check it out before settling. The preferred city location would probably be one space north-east of where the settler stands.
- the worker definitely wants to move straight onto the cattle. As long as the city is where the settler stands, or one space to the north-east of it, the irrigation will go 'through the city' and so the worker can just irrigate the cattle directly.

Hmm, I have heard that you can Mine a Cattle in Despot, I have never heard that Irrigating a Cattle is an Exception.

I have picked up some things when Training 1 on 1 with Dave, Regarding Tile improvements in a Despot Gov:
Mine Grassland
Irrigate Plains
Irrigate Deserts (If you have to)
Wheat can be irrigated

If there are any Exceptions to the Despot Tile Rules, I am more than Happy to pick up the trick.

Originally posted by Ridgelake

My 'policy' is that I play the game under the most recent patch that all signed up players can play under. If just one of the players couldn't use 1.21f then we would be using 1.14f.

Although people are welcome to shadow the game, and I appreciate the interest, I am not going to change the patch level for their benefit, only for the benefit of signed up players. I know that the game could be started using 1.14f and then immediately upgraded to 1.21f, but this could still have some effects on the way the game turns out that we don't know about, and anyhow, it'd make shadows far less telling and valuable if they are being played on different patches.

Originally posted by Matt_g
I played around with starts using Sirps settings and the 1.14 patch and rolled a real good one second time out.
Better than the one posted IMHO. I would post a screen shot but I want to see what Sirp has to say about all this before I do anything.

The starting position is meant to be fairly good, not 'really really good'. The last thing I want is for players going away thinking that they have to get a very good start to win on Deity :)

Thusly, the game will proceed as is.

-Sirp.

Originally posted by Sirp
My 'policy' is that I play the game under the most recent patch that all signed up players can play under. If just one of the players couldn't use 1.21f then we would be using 1.14f.

Hmm, So I can infact shadow with a 1.21 patch :) (I switch versions around when I am playing a 1.14 SG and a 1.21 SG ).

@Sirp - Just out of curionsity, Should I shadow your turns Sirp?

CivGeneral, you and anyone else are welcome to shadow any set of turns you want, and send the saved game with turn log to me at david8020000@yahoo.com

Do not post the game, turnlogs, or any spoiler information here though.

-Sirp.

Top Bottom