Revoke Michael Moore's Oscar??

John Wayne USA

Duke says 'Lets Roll!'
Leftist filmmaker Michael Moore won an Oscar for last year's "Bowling for Columbine" An anti-gun rights documenary.

In the film, he goes on to blame 9-11 on US foreign policy, tries to embarass NRA president Charlton Heston, a man suffering from Alzheimer's and edits different speeches in the film to make him look arrogant and mean.

Other people were outraged that Moore used his Oscar night speech to violently attack President Bush and spout anti-war slogans as our brave troops were already in combat.

Since then, outraged citizens have formed campaigns to revoke Michael Moore's Oscar. http://www.revoketheoscar.com explains that

"The 75th Academy Awards® handed the Oscar® for "Best Documentary" to Michael Moore for Bowling for Columbine. Bowling is a nasty bit of anti-American propaganda. Viewers are taught that: America was founded on violence and fear, as quarrelsome pilgrims fled to the new world, where their paranoia led them to massacre the Indians, then the British, and then each other;

The Columbine murderers' violence might have its roots in the fact that one had a father in our military (American soldiers are presumably murderers, and it must rub off on their kids) or that there was a defense contractor in the area;

Charlton Heston (one of Hollywood's few upstanding men) is a callous fool;

The terrorist attack on 9/11 is related to past American foreign policy -- in short, America's own fault;

It's time we take back the stage. Bowling for Columbine violated the Academy's own rules. These limit the documentary competition to nonfiction films. Bowling isn't nonfiction. Whenever it was necessary to his theme, Moore invented facts, fabricated events, staged scenes, or doctored the depiction of what actually happened. When Heston, for example, gave a mild and concilliatory speech, Moore simply edited the footage (and inserted footage from a different speech a year later) to make it sound arrogant.

But what do you think?

Should Moore keep his Oscar? Should the rules be enforced? Should people like Michael Moore be given Oscars for questionable documentaries?

Why not? Oscars are given to unquestionably bad movies.

Originally posted by John Wayne USA
Leftist filmmaker Michael Moore won an Oscar for last year's "Bowling for Columbine" An anti-gun rights documenary.

In the film, he goes on to blame 9-11 on US foreign policy, tries to embarass NRA president Charlton Heston, a man suffering from Alzheimer's and edits different speeches in the film to make him look arrogant and mean.

Other people were outraged that Moore used his Oscar night speech to violently attack President Bush and spout anti-war slogans as our brave troops were already in combat.

Since then, outraged citizens have formed campaigns to revoke Michael Moore's Oscar. http://www.revoketheoscar.com explains that

But what do you think?

Should Moore keep his Oscar? Should the rules be enforced? Should people like Michael Moore be given Oscars for questionable documentaries?

Weren't you banned?

When they gave an oscar to that guy what kind of speech were they expecting?

No they shouldn't take back his Oscar what's done is done. He probably shouldn't have gotten it in the first place, but since when did we get in the habbit of revoking people's awards?

I just love to see that America in this day is trying to find a way around that pesky free speech thing. Since we can't force them not to say certain things we will boycott their products and take away their oscars! and on the other side of the fence we will call their speech hate and attempt to sensor it.

Revoking it sounds suspiciously like censorship to me. That is obviously something that does not belong in a democracy.

However, I havent seen the movie, so I cant comment on the "untrue facts" being presented in it.

EDIT: spelling

Moore used his Oscar night speech to violently attack

Yah, those words are dangerous things.

Ugh, please. If you follow their interpretation, a documentary put forth about evolution would not be eligible for an oscar. It's asinine behavior and entirely political. If you don't like the way the academy hands out it's awards, then don't watch them hand them out. It's that simple.

Originally posted by thestonesfan
Why not? Oscars are given to unquestionably bad movies.
The Oscar was for "Bowling for Columbine" in the Documentury catigory, and this picture had a number of fantasy elements and deliberate distortions.

Revoking the Oscar should be considered here.

Originally posted by Pasi Nurminen

Weren't you banned?
Would you like to be again?

Stay on topic, other posters' status is none of your buisness.

John Wayne USA (aka Boycott France) why do u hate leftists so much ? I'm a rightist (wd?) conservative and even though I dislike much leftist ideas, I respect their POV.
On the subject, why should we revoke Moore's oscar ? Because of his political ideas ? That's ludicrous.

Originally posted by meldor
I think he is Sultan's evil twin. Sultan goes away JW/BF shows up, same style different view.

That's a pretty insulting remark to Sultan.

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
The Oscar was for "Bowling for Columbine" in the Documentury catigory, and this picture had a number of fantasy elements and deliberate distortions.

Revoking the Oscar should be considered here.

I know it was a Documentary, my point was that it doesn't exactly take a work of art to win an Oscar. I can think of a lot I'd revoke if the decision was suddenly up to me.

Yes, it's full of fantasy elements and shameful distortions. They're liberals, of course they love it. Besides, were there even any other documentaries made last year?

Moore definitely shouldn't have his Oscar taken back for his acceptance speech (after all, he can pretty much say whatever he wants up there). As for his documentary, he got the Oscar in the first place, which might be questionable, and so he shouldn't have it revoked, unless something about the documentary is discovered after the award is given.

Of course there were other documentaries, there were 4 other ones actually.

There was even one about the heroic firefighters and life-savers of 911..

But dont hold your breath waiting for that one to win an Oscar......

Edit - 4 other ones nominated that is.

Moore is a Green, which means he basically hates everybody, the problem of course is he has a national platform.

I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for the chances of his Oscar being removed, but it's as good a topic as any, and it least it's not another ME thread.

Originally posted by John Wayne USA
Of course there were other documentaries, there were 4 other ones actually.

There was even one about the heroic firefighters and life-savers of 911..

But dont hold your breath waiting for that one to win an Oscar......

Just for the record, you are the first person in my entire year-and-a-half tenure at CFC to ever have been put on my ignore list.

Congratulations.

Play nice Toasty, did you really need to post that?

Top Bottom