Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Elastic Defense

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Sarevok

Civ3 Scenario Creator
This is to be the first of many articles concerning warfare strategies that have been used in the age of total war. Although most people nkow what these strategies are, or at least a hint of them, Most dont. For that reason I have decided to make this series of articles concerning Total war Strategy.

Defensive Warfare Formations

Defensive warfare formations are wha you would set up in order to either hold ground taken, or to make as an advance line so that if your attacking force failed, your enemy could not exploit weaknesses becasue you are set up and ready to fight them.

Static defense:

Static defense is the strategy known to most as 1914-1918 Trench Warfare. The goal of static defense is to have a line of infantry supported with artillery to hold a line against attacks by enemy advances. This doctrine supports the use of Fortresses to defend a target, and the trench defensive system is almost always built up practically to a fortress state. How to do this in civ 3 is really quite simple and easy. a single, straight line that goes between two points where combat is not likely to defend the center where the enemy must advance. It shoutd include for each square on the map: 2 Infantry and mabye a peice of artillery. This formation is pretty much strictly for defensive warfare, and the formation should be able to hold all but the most intensive assaults. In the event of a dead infantryman, you should refill that sector with a replacement to the line. In the event of a breakthrough, you should have assembled a reserve force to the rear of the line which you would use then to eliminate the gap in the line.

Deep Defense:

Deep defense was the Initial response to the rise of tank warfare. It called for a light line in the front with heavy reserves in the rear to mount counterattacks. The frontline was almost empty in this case, unlike what static defense warfare. This strategy was used toward the end of WW1, and became the strategy untill Blitzkrieg crushed the trust in this system. In civ terms, this strategy calls for lines like the static defense formation, but instead they tould have 2 lines. the first line would have just 1 Infantry, but the second stores the Artillery unit, as well as at least 3 infantry to mount counter-attacks. This line can be used for offensive operations to use the reserves to smash enemy lines after they had launched attacks. this was why the kerensky offensive of 1917 not only failed to gain ground, but the Germans and Austrians exploited the victory and took more ground from the russians themselves. So, this formation is mostly defensive, but can be offensive as well.

Elastic Defense:

Elastic Defense was basically a land version of the atlantic wall setup in WW2. it was to have an initial line of defense, but to have a mobile tank reserve in the rear to mount counterattacks on the enemy forces. To do this, you should have 3 lines of defense. The first 2 have 1 infantry unit in each of them, except the second has a artillery peice. Then, somewhere within rail acces, you should have a force of at minimum 10 Tanks, and 5 Mechs to retake the ground after a breakthrough. This breakthrough is especially likely to be done by tanks, so you must beat them immedately before they attempt a 'Blitzkreig', which would ruin your forces and the line.

This is the first article in the series of Tactical Strategies in the age of Total War. I hope it has proved helpful to those who read it and apply it to civ total warfare.

I voted for elastic defense doctrine. I usually use this tactic from ancient all the way to modern eras.

Substitute horsemen for tanks and that's your mobile reserve. If the civ you're playing has a fast infantry UU then use him as well for the mobile reserve.

I find that in most of my games I just don't have the time to build a contiguous line of forts along the borders.

Originally posted by Sarevok
You dont really need to have forts, forts are a nice addition, but not really neccesary.

Yeah I usually build forts on key mountains that overlook what I think will be heavily traveled terrain. Station a few artillery and troops there and pick off enemy units as they try to make there way into your territory.

Trying to take out a well defended fort OTOH is a different story! ;)

I voted Deep Defense because I imagined everybody would vote either static or Elastic. :)

I think you described Static defense pretty good in civ terms.

But I would describe Deep Defense as an incomplete light front line, defending key positions Mountains, Hills, Resources, worker stacks etc with 1-3 infantries and maybe 1 arty and keeping the second defense and counter-attack line just outside the range of the enemy (three – four tiles deep). Second line would have 3-5 attack units, a large artillery stack 10+ units. At least three such task forces should cover the front with a certain degree of flexibility and attack all enemy units breaking through.

I’d say Elastic Defense is also an incomplete front line just like before but the second line would be just one huge stack of units 10+ attack units, 20+ artillery. The second line would have a high flexibility but would counter-attack only the positions that are under severe threat. It would be further behind the lines but in a central position four to eight tiles away from any position on the battlefield.

I use Deep defense in this respect but I also use the others if the conditions call for it.

whatever the setup, those arent grounded rules, you could have as many guys as you want, thats just a breif rough guide toget ideas. its more specifcally the tactic you should look at.

None of the above. I use only highly mobile offensive troops even for defence. AI unit are decimated the moment they enter my territory. Only place that I will put defensive unit is when there are mountains at the border.

that is because you likely are an agressive country that uses Operational Manoever Warfare, which i will get into with an enpite part, probably part 3. BTW, PT 2 is gonna be written this weekend.

Defensive warfare formations are wha you would set up in order to either hold ground taken, or to make as an advance line so that if your attacking force failed, your enemy could not exploit weaknesses becasue you are set up and ready to fight them.

I enjoyed reading your post, but agree with Qitai that mobile offensive units make for the best defense in Civ, because the human advantage is maximized on offense. Responding to your examples, I can hold ground or recover from a failed attack better by having additional offensive units, rather than defensive units. In fact, that failed attack might not have failed if I'd had more offensive units, rather than a defensive force waiting in reserve.

Even in the most defense-oriented period in Civ - after infantry and before tanks - a serious stack of artillery on rails used offensively is better than any defense. And in this period railways pretty much negate the need for any lines of defense, as all of your forces can converge on any threatened location.

I dont even orient my defense stratagies with units...I have a massive barrage of artillery and air power to halt a lot of my enemys with infantry to clean up the mess...kinda off topic but I had to put it in...by the way kudos Sarevok nice post

I voted for static defense, but will give a weak point inside this defense to lure the AI.
I build it like you described in static but leave a gate inside the wall that will allow the ennemy to pass this line, allowing him to go in the open or where I want him to be. Then comes the Arti and fast units.
By the way good post.

For those concerned the Articles I have planned are:

1: Defensive Formations
2: Offensive Assaults
3: Operational Manoever Warfare
4: Deception Strategies
5: War Plans

For those concerned the Articles I have planned are:

1: Defensive Formations
2: Offensive Assaults
3: Operational Manoever Warfare
4: Deception Strategies
5: War Plans

Sounds good, can't wait to read those articles.

Elastic defense is my choice.

Elastic is usually what i end up with, but not really through design, mostly it just looks like the best way to defend. However i usually only attack when I know i can win, so defence doesn't greatly come into it:D

Top Bottom