Where should we place our capitol?

i say we move a worker first to the hill next to the goody hut, and we should probably settle on one of the hills

Thanks for starting this one too... guess you were busy online while I was stuck outside pulling weeds... :crazyeye:

If that is jungle, moving the settler 1SW onto the jungle clears it automatically, but that just adds more jungle tiles. Accordingly I'm thinking we should just settle in place.

i think we should just stay where we are, however we could move our worker onto the hill before settling to see if there isnt anywhere better.

Move worker to hill, and then settle where we are.

I say move the Worker due North to the hill and have the Settler throw down his backpack where he stands (settle there).

I say NE. Good defense, sheilds from hill, and commerce from river.

I agree with the others about settling where we are. We'll have great food production and good shield output, so the loss of the floodplain we are on is insignificant. For the long term, that nice line of hills is going to give us great shield production!

So, settle where we are, mine the BG for the shields we'll need for production, build a warrior. Send the warrior to the hilltops for a quick scout and end the chat.

-- Ravensfire

It looks like there's nothing but plains on the other side of those hills. So scouting them probably won't show much of a benefit in that direction.

On the other hand, jungle doesn't look like too much fun either. Nonetheless, I'd be inclined to move the worker S or SE so that they not only scout some of that area, but are also ready to mine the enriched grassland next turn. I would also move the settler SW for the capitol location. Rivers on 3 sides is a nice defensive bonus, plus it clears the jungle infinitely quicker than we could do it using workers.

I think that we will have floodplains to the west, jungles to the SW, forests to the south and SE (maybe some plains/grasslands), and plains for the rest of the directions (after those hills of course). I think settling on the jungle is the best course to take here, as not only does it clear the jungle like Forty said, but it also gives us the benefits of irrigation, mining, and a road, two of which we could not get otherwise unless we cleared the jungle. That would mean instead of being a one food, no shields, 1 one commerece piece of land fully improved, it could be a 2 food, one shield, one commerce piece of land instead. However, to prevent disease, we should make clearing out the other jungles a high priority.

I think the location our settler is at now is as good as we can get within a turn or two. If we settle in the jungle, we have half the city radius in diseased jungles, and the other half with some desert and floodplains.

If we settle where we are at, we get a little of everything, and a powerhouse settler producing city.

I think that we should settle on the hill NE for these reasons:

1. There is no question that we should settle off the river to save us from building an Aqueduct.

2. Allows us to maximize the Flood Plain tile we are currently standing on.

3. Good chance that more bonus tiles lie on other side of the hill.

4. Our city radius will still include everything we see now.

5. Defensive bonus, which should be a non-issue

Will the domestic deaprtment be posting a poll since there does not seem to be consensus here?

I agree that one should always settle on the first tile unless it is truly awlful. However we are only playing on monarch so we wont harm our chances of success if we decide on a different location.
I am sure we are all agreed on building the city by the river. Also settling on a hill offers production and defence incentives. Therefore I support the proposal to site our first city 1 tile NE of our present location.

Top Bottom