Great Library

Strider

In Retrospect
It is about time we start discussing this. Are we going to build it or not? and if so what city should it be in?

If we want to get it as soon as possible, a pre-build needs to start soon.

Costs: 400 shields

I think it's kind of early to tell. Right now, the highest potential is our capital, which needs settlers badly. (Why it's going to build a temple is beyond me, when it could build a settler, or a granary, and we're going to connect those wines...)

Originally posted by Chieftess
I think it's kind of early to tell. Right now, the highest potential is our capital, which needs settlers badly. (Why it's going to build a temple is beyond me, when it could build a settler, or a granary, and we're going to connect those wines...)

We still have 40+ turns untill we get literature, so it does not matter what city has the highest potential. I'll try to find what our current cities shield production is.

Though, if we want to be certain we get it, we need to start a pre-build soon.

Deux Rivieres 5 shields per turn
Vandelay 2 shields per turn
Vo Mimbre 3 shields per turn

We get writing in 3 turns. Currently putting 16gpt into science funding. Literature costs 268. So we can get Literature in (max) 17 turns (if my calculations are correct) So IMHO, we have 20 turns untill we are able to build the GL.

Deux Reviris can build it in 80 turns (without adding any more shields)
Vandelay can build it in 200 turns (same as above)
Vo Mimbre can build it in 133 turns (same as above)

Deux Rivieres produces 5 shields, the others produce 3 and 2. At that rate the GL would still be 80 turns away from right now. You'll say yes, but what is their growth potential, and how many shields to they max out at? Without lux, none of them can grow beyond size 3 without disorder. That means we have to lower science for a while if we want the prebuild to accelerate.

Another point of view is to look at total shield production. Those 400 shields would be equivalent to 6 settlers and 7 spearmen, for example.

An early wonder is a great strategy when you have a starting position with a natural production center outside the capitol, a way to grow without unrest, and an early advantage of getting the tech before the AI's. I'm not sure if it will work in this case because we'll be neck and neck with Babylon, who have more cities and seem to have better land. Also there is no telling what the other 5 or so undiscovered civs might be doing.

Originally posted by DaveShack
Deux Rivieres produces 5 shields, the others produce 3 and 2. At that rate the GL would still be 80 turns away from right now. You'll say yes, but what is their growth potential, and how many shields to they max out at? Without lux, none of them can grow beyond size 3 without disorder. That means we have to lower science for a while if we want the prebuild to accelerate.

Another point of view is to look at total shield production. Those 400 shields would be equivalent to 6 settlers and 7 spearmen, for example.

An early wonder is a great strategy when you have a starting position with a natural production center outside the capitol, a way to grow without unrest, and an early advantage of getting the tech before the AI's. I'm not sure if it will work in this case because we'll be neck and neck with Babylon, who have more cities and seem to have better land. Also there is no telling what the other 5 or so undiscovered civs might be doing.

We have on advantage over Babylon, the AI would not pre-build for a wonder. If we can start pre-building now, we are almost certain to get it. (unless of course we become unluckily the the great pyramids are completed before we can complete the GL.)

Also, the other civs will not go straight for lit, they will research map making first, giving us acouple more turns to build it if we want to. (or we can trade the tech off)

I beleve that Deux Reviris should be a good location to have a Wonder-Pre build in its queue.

As of yet, I don't see a good wonder city site.

However, we should study Lit, as that might change by the time we get to it. Plus, we could always trade the valuable tech to the AI.

If we have to pre-build it now then i say Vo mibre is the best site. but i say we wait some turns first, get a few cities built, then start it in a city between the capital and iron lake.

Top Bottom