SSS animation editor

Steph

Multi Many Tasks man
Retired Moderator
I have released a new version (0.21) of SSS, including the animation editor.

See it here

You can also go directly to the website (link in my sig) to download it.

It is not aimed directly at CivIII, so it is not as usefull as SBB, but you can save the animation into a true color storyboard.

You can use this tool to resize unit, and reduce the size of FLC, either because it cropped the frames, removing useless bakcground, or because you can remove frames (take 1/2, or 1/3, or select the starting / ending frame).

Warning : as it crops the frames, they will not be centered! You need to use FLICSTER to edit the X,Y offset in the ini to recenter them

Open the FLC with FLicster. Export to PCX.
Open PCX with Paint Shop Pro (or other). Save as bmp (do not change anything else, the bmp MUST remain 256 colors, with the same palette as the PCX).

Run SSS.exe. Cick on the bottom right bottom

Double click on the first TextBox, it will open the OpenFile dialog. Select your bmp.

Now, in the dropdown list, select the correct number of frames. Wait a bit for the processing of the file.

Don't bother with the centering, its' useless if your goal is to produce a storyboard, it is used only for SSS animation.

Change the zoom factor to your convenience. You can also change the start / end frame.

Now, save the storyboard. Note the new width and height

Open it with PaintShopPro, apply the initial palette (the bmp is true color, but it uses exactly the same colors as the original one).

Now, go back to flicster, create a new flc, with the new width and height.

Change the X,Y offset to get the correct centering.

Remarks:
- This animation editor crops the frame, so they are smaller, that's why you need to change the centering in Flicster.
- When producing the storyboard, a background line is automatically added to the right and left, so you should never get the infamous "ghost pixels bug".

Originally posted by Steph
Open the FLC with FLicster. Export to PCX.
Open PCX with Paint Shop Pro (or other). Save as bmp (do not change anything else, the bmp MUST remain 256 colors, with the same palette as the PCX).

Run SSS.exe. Cick on the bottom right bottom

Double click on the first TextBox, it will open the OpenFile dialog. Select your bmp.

Now, in the dropdown list, select the correct number of frames. Wait a bit for the processing of the file.

Don't bother with the centering, its' useless if your goal is to produce a storyboard, it is used only for SSS animation.

Change the zoom factor to your convenience. You can also change the start / end frame.

Now, save the storyboard. Note the new width and height

Open it with PaintShopPro, apply the initial palette (the bmp is true color, but it uses exactly the same colors as the original one).

Now, go back to flicster, create a new flc, with the new width and height.

Change the X,Y offset to get the correct centering.

Remarks:
- This animation editor crops the frame, so they are smaller, that's why you need to change the centering in Flicster.
- When producing the storyboard, a background line is automatically added to the right and left, so you should never get the infamous "ghost pixels bug".

hmm okee. This what I needed.

Got a couple of questions.

- Now, in the dropdown list, select the correct number of frames. Wait a bit for the processing of the file.!

Dont understand this.....I can select 8 or 16 frames. in the preview u see things change. can u explane?

- Now, go back to flicster, create a new flc, with the new width and height.

Done all the previous things.....but this I dont understand. Cant understand how u change the pcx back to a FLC. help!

It is not possible to know the number of frames from the storyboard only.

So the program propose you a list of the possible nb of frames (ie (width of frame+1) x nb of frames +1 = width of storyboard. You then have to choose the correct one.

For the flicster thnig : if you created a new animation with flicster, you can select the width and height of frames, nub of frames. It will generate a blank( or rather magenta) storyboard (pcx file). Replace it by another one (same size, same nb of frames), and you can convert it to FLC int flicster. See the flicster tutorial for more details

Is this the utility I need in order to change the colours in a FLC or should I be using something else?

I want to change the colours on some of the units and I guess I just need something that will let me adjust the palette.

Top Bottom