News: TSG113 Announcement!

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 113
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 113th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG113 Details:
Player (You): - Pacal - Maya
Victory Condition: Diplomacy but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Deity
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/16
Map Type/Size: Oval/Standard
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Wonders of the Ancient World DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Mayan Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
UA: The Long Count - After researching Theology, receive a bonus Great Person at the end of every Maya Long Count calendar cycle (every 394 years). Each bonus person can only be chosen once.

UU: Atlatlist - It is a Unique Ranged unit that replaces the Archer. It is cheaper to make and requires no technology to build.

UB: Pyramids - It is a Unique building that replaces the Shrine. It provides +2 Science and +2 Faith.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends August 1st, 2015.

The save will be available for download on July 1st, 2015, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

Maya. Deity. Diplo.

River. Coast. Mountain.

This one might actually be doable. When is July 1st again? :shifty:

Looks like another fun race to gunboat diplomacy again for me, shouldn't take long as the Maya. Early silver will be perfect for upgrading my atlatists once I get construction, which won't take long with those amazing pyramids. I wonder who else we get to face on this map?

Move the warrior to the east to the silver to see the extent of the desert and or find a food source. Im loath to move off the coast but given another food or lux i could see settling next to the mountain.

Well, I've mightily struggled on the Mayans DCL so take my opinions with a pinch of salt:

Moving east and settling the expo on the starting location seems like a good plan tbqh. I was never sold on the gunboat diplomacy perk, I prefer a peaceful tech race to Globalization with or without Patronage and that usually ends around 270ish, maybe around 240 if you luck out with the WC timing.

Something I like to do when playing diplomacy is to wait and see what ideology did the culture powerhouses pick and then join them by nominating it as the World ideology. That way you get another 2 votes at the end, so

hosting 6
ideology 2
globalization 5

so if Mongolia/Austria/Venice are not in, you need 14 allies (13 if one is taken out, that would mean 6 + 2 + 5 + 26 = 39) to win it. I wouldn't count on getting Forbidden Palace because Deity AI like Patronage and paying for WC votes doesn't seem to work anymore, I used to be able to pull it off regularly.

All of Tradition, Liberty, Piety should work but it depends on the map, Tradition is a safe bet but if there's enough space (probably not because Deity) a Liberty - Piety combo is possible. I suggest Scout-Scout-Pyramid-Settler/Worker and Monument-Pyramid is expos if Liberty/Piety or Pyramid-Granary if Tradition

Gunboat diplomacy worked great for me in GOTM 112, but I also tradition-turtled to xcoms and landed them next to every city state in the game in a couple of turns. After 20 turns of that, and a few gold gifts, I had surpassed everyone and claimed all of them as my ally. I hadn't meant to do that, I had set out with freedom in mind and thanks to my wishy washiness it delayed my victory until turn 430, which is dreadful. But this time, with a wider empire, better policy track, and more aggressive strategy, I hopefully can do better or at least not get annihilated since it's deity and I don't have a good track record on that setting. But either way, warmongering is great for this one I think, and should result in possibly even a first atomic age world leader vote victory. That's the funny thing I have noticed about diplomacy victories, it doesn't matter what the other civs think of you at all. The only thing that matters is that enough city states are allied with you at voting time to overcome a deficit caused by either failing to host world congress, build forbidden palace, vote in world ideology, or research globalization in time. Also, having the stronger military is great for dealing with mongolia, venice, and austria as well since you can destroy austria/venice first before they can buy a city state and liberate anything mongolia manages to capture.

But anyway, as for my new plan with this map:
If that were a hill on the start I would settle in place, but I can't stand the idea of not having a capital on a hill for the defense and production. Probably going to scout and see if there is somewhere better and leave that spot for city two.
Tech order: pottery, mining, AH, masonry, bronzeworking.
Build Order: Scout x 2, pyramid, atlatist x 3-10 depending on map, whatever I can't buy from tributes.
Social policy: Honor left side, Liberty complete, Honor right if needed, rationalism, autocracy - going crazy on the barb camps and city state tributes, so I should be able to buy everything else I need hopefully.

Well, I've mightily struggled on the Mayans DCL so take my opinions with a pinch of salt:

Moving east and settling the expo on the starting location seems like a good plan tbqh. I was never sold on the gunboat diplomacy perk, I prefer a peaceful tech race to Globalization with or without Patronage and that usually ends around 270ish, maybe around 240 if you luck out with the WC timing.

Something I like to do when playing diplomacy is to wait and see what ideology did the culture powerhouses pick and then join them by nominating it as the World ideology. That way you get another 2 votes at the end, so

hosting 6
ideology 2
globalization 5

so if Mongolia/Austria/Venice are not in, you need 14 allies (13 if one is taken out, that would mean 6 + 2 + 5 + 26 = 39) to win it. I wouldn't count on getting Forbidden Palace because Deity AI like Patronage and paying for WC votes doesn't seem to work anymore, I used to be able to pull it off regularly.

All of Tradition, Liberty, Piety should work but it depends on the map, Tradition is a safe bet but if there's enough space (probably not because Deity) a Liberty - Piety combo is possible. I suggest Scout-Scout-Pyramid-Settler/Worker and Monument-Pyramid is expos if Liberty/Piety or Pyramid-Granary if Tradition

We have the 'free' GE up our sleeve in this one.

Looks like a difficult setup. Any suggestions appreciated.

Here are my initial thoughts:

Overall strategy is to go big politically with culture and money. Unlock crucial social policies to ensure my civilization can thrive, and money to encourage my city state alliances, particularly with cultural and military city states (social policies and defense). On deity it will be key to avoid (early) wars and subsequent annihilation. My plan is to achieve early DoFs using an average or slightly below average military depending on location. Tall empire is great here to maintain happiness. No need to go wide in diplo - early gold also important through visible silver and trade.

Early strategy will be to get Museum of Halicarnasis - which is a must - especially with the two visible stone and the Maya Unique Attribute of spawning Great People. This also works well with diplo victory. No way to get MoH and Great Library (probably not possible to get GL anyway with this start on deity). No way I have time to spread my religion for world religion delegates later on, but founding an early pantheon - either through ruins or early pyramid - is crucial to get the Religious Idols pantheon for the visible silver.

Long Count:
Use GP for holy site
Use GA for golden age
Use GE for forbidden palace.
Use GS late for extra beakers.
Use others as needed by CS quests

Build Order: scout > pyramid > museum of halicarnasis > (buy library)

Social Policies: Liberty opener > Citizenship (worker) > Collective Rule (Settler) > Tradition Opener > Patronage

Research Order: pottery > masonry > writing > mining > calendar > philosophy > theology

Hopefully steal a worker with scout and spam one with liberty. Buy early monument and get a settler from liberty and build one for 3 cities before turn 60 or 70.

I'm super optimistic (probably too much so) about this one. Gonna let it sit for a while to get mentally prepared to work slowly through it with deep thought.

Acken has a maya deity game online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmC-sCe_I4A&list=PL5IXV43xjKWRQoEaZLj8dbK2BMifXjAGC

so does Marbozir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kVhiC1VVR0&index=1&list=PLHQyGGzRHYIbd6Rw7tura8M52w0_F5KCG

Research Order: pottery > masonry > writing > mining > calendar > philosophy > theology
I think you goofed a little on that tech order. I'm going to assume it's pottery > mining > masonry > writing > etc.

I think you goofed a little on that tech order. I'm gonig to assume it's pottery > mining > masonry > writing > etc.

Yup. Oops.

The more I think about this, the less I like the idea of crazy warmongering on Deity. I better just tradition-turtle to plastics instead and use my pile of atlatists to steal workers and demand tribute for my patience. Super science is the only way to win this one: fast printing press, faster atomic era, and gunboat diplomacy level 3 autocracy tenet with an infantry or paratrooper next to every city state. I'll bulb my way to globalization and xcoms if I need to, but I doubt I will.

I played 60 turns so far <snip>
Once you open the save, you should only post in the Opening Action or After Action threads. I see that they are not up yet, so I have temporarily deleted your post and will move it to the Opening Action thread as soon as HR opens it. We do this because of unintentional spoilers that may come out in your post. Thank you for your patience.

The more I think about this, the less I like the idea of crazy warmongering on Deity. I better just tradition-turtle to plastics instead and use my pile of atlatists to steal workers and demand tribute for my patience. Super science is the only way to win this one: fast printing press, faster atomic era, and gunboat diplomacy level 3 autocracy tenet with an infantry or paratrooper next to every city state. I'll bulb my way to globalization and xcoms if I need to, but I doubt I will.

I suggest you steal some techs with your first spy to level him up (don't steal from the guy who first entered Renaissance because he'll likely keep his spy home), then send him over to start couping CSs. Then start bulbing around Penicilin, the whole point is to get to Info era quickly through Telecommunications because in all likelihood the UN won't start before. Then you have a limited time to get Globalization so I suggest using the Ratio finisher on it, or perhaps Oxford but you'll probably have used it sooner

I suggest you steal some techs with your first spy to level him up (don't steal from the guy who first entered Renaissance because he'll likely keep his spy home), then send him over to start couping CSs. Then start bulbing around Penicilin, the whole point is to get to Info era quickly through Telecommunications because in all likelihood the UN won't start before. Then you have a limited time to get Globalization so I suggest using the Ratio finisher on it, or perhaps Oxford but you'll probably have used it sooner

I never thought of leaving the guy highest in tech alone, no wonder my spies are slaughtered half of the time. I love using them on city states instead, they get me so much more rigging elections than sitting in capitals. So penicillin should be the happy point where I have had all of my research labs built for 8 turns and can bulb straight to globalization in a couple of turns? I like the idea of saving Rationalism finisher and oxford for what my scientists can't accomplish too, that is an awesome idea that I plan on using if I am still alive by then...

Going to try adwcta's "small piety" strategy on this one:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521674

Anyone care to join?

I've only won one deity GOTM so far, so my goal for this one is to win, hopefully sub t300. Let's see if I can make it happen!

Pre-game thoughts: probably settle in place b/c of coast, and the spot next to the mountain seems to have too much tundra/ice. However, warrior will scout it to confirm. Target a faith pantheon, ideally faith/culture from silver, but faith from toundra or desert also seem possible. We'll see what early scouting reveals.

Top Bottom