Super Smash Bros. is coming to the Wii U and 3DS

Well, we got to consider that LEGO Batman isn't his main incarnation nowadays, especially within that media. While preferences aren't an issue, I find it a bit funny that it's exactly LEGO Batman that's the wish rather than the "true" Batman.

Obviously there's no "true" batman. It's like scoffing at somebody for preferring Star Wars: KOTOR to the "true" Star Wars Battlefront. They're just different interpretations of the same source material. Neither is necessarily "truer" than the other. Statements like this really narrow the definition and possibilities the artistic medium of video games offers consumers.

Lego Batman's slapstick larks would fit in perfectly with the Smash Bros aesthetic. And since Chase McCain is vaguely feasible, is seems less of a long shot to get Lego Bats in there than to get the grimdark my-parents-are-dead one.

Given comments from Sakurai himself that he refuses to put any characters that didn't originate in a video game in SSB, I highly doubt any incarnation of Batman will ever be included, as he is originally a comic book character (and Lego Batman was originally a toy).

Obviously there's no "true" batman. It's like scoffing at somebody for preferring Star Wars: KOTOR to the "true" Star Wars Battlefront. They're just different interpretations of the same source material. Neither is necessarily "truer" than the other. Statements like this really narrow the definition and possibilities the artistic medium of video games offers consumers.

In general video game definitions? You are right. In games like Smash Bros? Ehhhh...

You must remember that Smash Bros, when it comes to their character roster, only goes for the main representatives of their respective franchises, wether they are 1st-party or not. While LEGO Batman isn't a less "legitimate" incarnation of his franchise, he is by far not the most representative one.

I don't know why my comment seems to be scoffing to you. I just found it humourously accurate that it was exactly LEGO Batman that he referred to, rather than a main representative of either Batman or LEGO itself. I myself kinda want to play as Dimentio from Super Paper Mario, but I can accept that it wouldn't ever happen, as a roster needs a limit in order to stay balanced, and Sakurai chose to delimit the roster to the "main characters" of the franchises he chooses to include.

In general video game definitions? You are right. In games like Smash Bros? Ehhhh...

You must remember that Smash Bros, when it comes to their character roster, only goes for the main representatives of their respective franchises, wether they are 1st-party or not. While LEGO Batman isn't a less "legitimate" incarnation of his franchise, he is by far not the most representative one.

I don't know why my comment seems to be scoffing to you. I just found it humourously accurate that it was exactly LEGO Batman that he referred to, rather than a main representative of either Batman or LEGO itself. I myself kinda want to play as Dimentio from Super Paper Mario, but I can accept that it wouldn't ever happen, as a roster needs a limit in order to stay balanced, and Sakurai chose to delimit the roster to the "main characters" of the franchises he chooses to include.

Oh, my mistake. I totally misread lindsay's post and it skewed my approach to this thread. I thought (s)he(?) was talking about LEGO Batman as a game in of itself, not LEGO Batman as a playable character in a SSB game. I totally apologize for that!

Oh, my mistake. I totally misread lindsay's post and it skewed my approach to this thread. I thought (s)he(?) was talking about LEGO Batman as a game in of itself, not LEGO Batman as a playable character in a SSB game. I totally apologize for that!

It's all good, really. After all, there's no need for people to make fun of others' preferences. In that context it was admirable that you stood up for it.

Btw, LEGO Batman IS pretty awesome.

I actually dislike the Lego Batman games. They always feel to me like a marriage of Arkham and Zelda that captures none of either game's magic. But Lego Batman would be an incredible Smash Bros fighter - chucking Batarangs, Batrope launches to gliding, cape swipes, Arkham-style acrobatic body projectile attacks between multiple opponents, and a Batwing or Batsignal Final Smash!

Great job, Nintendo, for making him look even more like a pedophile. Seriously, that expression he has when attacking the villager is hilarious beyond anything imaginative.

I do like how he actually has expressions in this game though. Looking forward to spam waddle dees once again~

I love this Dedede so much. His facial expressions are just hilarious in these pictures. Really love the art direction for this game; embracing the cartoony aspects rather than trying to look realistic a la Brawl makes the game have a more distinctive style. I'm going to have fun being this penguin.

EDIT: MOAR Dedede

Lucario is to return to smash and yoga!

screen-5.jpg

...its hammer time!

screen-7.jpg

Still hopeful for a Mewtwo appearance. Hopefully Sakurai gets to him in time for this release.

Is there any reason to include Lucario past appeasing furries?

He had a movie appearance, and has a major role in the newest Pokemon release (introducing you to mega evolutions and whatnot). Also, he's still a fan-favourite and Sakurai gave a lot of credit to the previous team that developed Brawl for working so hard to include Lucario within the game.

I'm thinking that part of it is to give his official shoutouts to them through this.

Still more inclined for a Mewtwo appearance than this though.

I'm glad Lucario is coming back because he was my main character, and I also like him as a pokemon.

Just about everyone saw that coming after that boxing ring stage was shown off.

And good thing too. Little Mac fits well with the smash bros franchise. :)

Top Bottom