Separatist Propaganda: cool or not?

evilcat

Warlord
The options for diplomats are not so diverse, we can steal some tech, and buff the turism, and also read that everyone is ploting against us, but never go all into it.

So i was wondering how cool it would be if we could send a diplomat to not capital to prepare rebelion. Once set rebelion will create a city state, if succesfully set the rebelion would destroy local courthouse (if existing) and create a new semi random city state. Separatist would be easier to set in very wide empire with low hapiness. Any anti-spy buildings and national wonders will underine separatists. Former other civilizacion cities would be more likly to separate. Capital would be immune to separatist from obvious reasons.

It could be quite cool to start a rebelion in enemy civilizacion and then enter with own army to protect this newly born nation from imperialists.

Hot or not?

It sounds good in theory but I have the feeling that in practice it would get real annoying, real quick if spammed.

To some degree it could be balanced by how number of cities influence it, and how population of city works. If for example 4 cities would be more or less safe there would be less space to abuse. If for bigger empire courthouse and/or courthouse will work till some pop that could also limit/prolong this rebelion.

What is nice, is that it would catch the rule that in big enought empire there will be always some local duke who want a bit of land just for himself. Or that if we conquere a foreign city it will be loyal to us forever, and forget about the past.

I love that idea. I'd also give spies/diplomats the ability to foment rebellion: lowering happiness, making it more likely for barbs to show up, making it more likely for the city to defect to your empire. I think espionage in general needs a buff to be more interesting.

Even though it HAS been a very real method for imperialist powers to achieve their geopolitical goals, (Look at US tactics in Yugoslavia or Syria for some very recent examples.) , i still think theres a risk that this will be a very annoying tool in the hands of the AI civs on higher difficulties.

I'd rather this be tied to the ideological happiness, really. When a city revolts, instead of absorbing into your empire you can support its independence which turns it into a city state (type is based on what the original city produced, ie a city with a faith wonder would be religious, a city with a high food output would be maritime, high production would be militaristic, etc. etc.) that you start with 90 influence on.

Even though it HAS been a very real method for imperialist powers to achieve their geopolitical goals, (Look at US tactics in Yugoslavia or Syria for some very recent examples.) , i still think theres a risk that this will be a very annoying tool in the hands of the AI civs on higher difficulties.

A thousand times this. I get extremely irritated when the AI drops multiple City State coups seemingly every turn; I'd throw Steam out a window if the AI was able to remove my cities multiple times a turn. :lol:

And not to be snarky but it seems like this suggestion is just a different method for city flipping which they added in BNW via Ideology+Diplomats. The mechanics are a little different, sure (ie: diplomat not in cap as opposed to in cap; creates a CS as opposed to joining nearby empire), but fundamentally the same thing.

MAYBE, and I only say that because it sounds much more interesting than stealing great works. I thing the following prerequisites are in order:

-Target Civ must be in Civil Resistance or worse.

-Diplomat must at least be at agent level.

-"Revolutions" must take thirty turns minimum. More based on population or near Capital, less if far from capital or on separate landmass.

Still requires some more specific rules and restrictions. I see it for an expansion Centerd around colonies, slavery, revolt and perhaps disease.

A nice feature for occupied or puppet cities.

Sabotage would be nice too. Destroying a building or spaceship parts in an enemy city.
There is definitely a lot of room to expand on both spies and diplomats and their abilities.

Top Bottom