Extended Era Mod (EEM)

This Mod dosnt seem to be in the ingame browser any more, is it is is isnt called extended era mod at least, can someone tell me where else i can download as this sounds exatcly like what im looking for

Greetings to anyone who comes across this thread, whether it be for this Mod or just browsing all mods. This mod was a great one and I've taken the ideas put forth by Formulapower and re-written a good chunk of the mod to make it work in the most recent Gods and Kings expansion as well as vanilla Civ V. It's up at the Steam Workshop here. I'll put up a link to download it from outside the workshop in case you don't use steam on that page as well. I hope to get Formulapower's blessing for this. I've left you credit for creating the original mod/idea. I just wanted to update it and bring it back to life.

Thanks Pastry, giving it a go in G&K now.

One question, in absolute terms does this mod make games longer than Marathon? Hope so!

Well I'm really enjoying having longer eras and time to build all the buildings for that era (a just having a longer game in general is great!) but does the quicker building have to apply to units as well?

You see, when units only take 2 to 4 turns to build in a decent-sized city, there are a couple of things that happen that make the game a bit ridiculous:

- On higher levels (where AI opponents receive advantages) the AI is able to build a ridiculous number of units, to the point that my map (which incidentally has hit the medieval era before Christ has been born) is so full of units you can't actually move anywhere. It's not even possible to walk a settler or prophet across the map with open borders because of the traffic.

- When at war, your enemy pretty much never runs out of units, and likewise you can keep building units to defend your cities, so it becomes kind of an endless stream of violence with no end in sight. The only way I was able to end a non-stop bloodbath lasting over a thousand years was by persuading other players to declare war on my enemy.

Shame because I love the idea.

Haha! Your description of the unit carpet of doom made me laugh deepnfunky. Also games aren't necessarily going to be longer per say, since the beakers needed for each tech is the same as marathon, you're just going to have a different experience while progressing. You're quite right though, the mod definitely needs some tweaking to keep the AI from just absolutely filling every damn tile on the map with units. I'm not sure how to accomplish this in a way to my liking quite yet, but I'm considering a few different things including increasing maintenance cost on units, or adjusting their hammer cost. We'll see after I do some beta testing so to speak.

Glad you agree the over-crowding isn't ideal.
Of course, being able to build units so quickly detracts from the game in other ways, because, for instance, you don't have to strategise - you can just build units (or even walls) as and when needs be. Yesterday I fended off a massive surprise invasion without my empire being initially well defended at all; I just built my troops in 1, 2 or 3 turns as the enemy approached. In the vanilla version my defences would have been way too weak and without time to build I would have been overrun. So it kind of makes you unassailable and without fear of invasion. I like fear of invasion - it makes the game more fun! And it often means you have to find a variety of ways to stop other civs from invading you.

Will look forward to playing the reworked version if you get round to it.

Hi I just tried out this mod and it's pretty enjoyable to get alot of use out of the units and not have to deal with huge build times so thanks alot.

Have you also changed the values for social policies too? I was worried about this so I turned cultural victory off

Yeah I also think the units should be a bit pricier too to avoid the carpet situations (but not as pricey as the original game either - a build time somewhere in between would be better)

Hi I just tried out this mod and it's pretty enjoyable to get alot of use out of the units and not have to deal with huge build times so thanks alot.

Have you also changed the values for social policies too? I was worried about this so I turned cultural victory off

I'm glad you are enjoying the mod, I am really really happy with it and am having an absolute ball playing the game :)

I made numerous changes to accommodate for the longer eras, such as lowering unit upkeep inflation (as you will be playing far more turns), I increased the production cost of buildings and reduced the effectiveness of science buildings and research agreements, however I lowered the maintenance costs to science buildings to compensate and keep them desirable to build.

In terms of social policies, I purposely kept them the same for two reasons -
1) I didn't want to make the game feel slow and boring, I wanted to maintain the influx for "bonuses" coming in at reasonably high frequency, that's why I didn't increase unit costs and only slightly increased building costs.

2) Social policies exponentially increase in cost, so it would be extremely uncommon to "max it out" even with the extended eras.

So yes, you should probably turn off cultural victories if you want a full game and chance at victory (although you can just let it stay on and continue playing after the game ends, which is what I do).

Hmm, the link to the steam workshop doesn't seem to be working for me. I would really like to try this mod :(

Come on, i just reinstalled the game just to play with this mod and i can't find it now!

Hey guys. I can't seem to find the download link for that mod anywhere. Anyone could help me please? I would really like playing that mod! Cheers guys

This mod is totally dead then?

Hi all. I've noticed that this mod isn't available on the Workshop as people above have said. I've uploaded a working version, including the update to fix the Peace Treat/DoF 0 turn bug. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Extended Eras (v 5).rar
    5 KB · Views: 1,105
Can U upload this mod, I cant get it from steam, please... I want to play it but i cant, pleae please m8...

For some reason, pretty much every single 'new game speed' mod I've tried ends up crashing Civ5 fairly quickly (within 100 turns, guaranteed). Any ideas on how I might solve this issue?

I second the request that this mod be uploaded on civfanatics. Subscribing on the Steam Workshop does not work on Mac!

Top Bottom