The Community Deity Game #6 - The Zulu

consentient

Domination!
What is CDG?

Apart from being the airport code for Paris Charles de Gaulle airport, the CDG is a community Deity game series. It is the successor to the popular DCL (Deity Challenge Line-up) game that ran in 2014/15. There are, however, notable differences.

What are the differences?

Firstly, some games will have mods enabled, which were always avoided on the DCL, since the rationale was that it would exclude a lot of people that wanted to play, as not everyone may have been able to run them. But I think it’s become clear that only a hardcore of regular Deity players remain, plus a few who are trying to ‘move up’ to Deity. Additionally, many of us that have been playing Civ 5 BNW for a long time crave some extra variety, and some use of mods was seen as a way to achieve this.

Secondly, there will be suggested VCs (Victory Conditions) and a list of Achievements for each map. This will be recorded, and will take the place of the previous records spreadsheet which was focused on the ‘Top Finishers list’ and which has been abolished.

Map #6 - 'Zulu Dares Wins'

Background:

DCL #1 was a long time ago, and the kind of race-for-fast-finish that ensued has not really been a big part of Deity games since then. So I want to give everyone a chance to practise their warmonger chops. This will still be mostly on a honour basis, as I have no free time to check every save file, unlike the HoF people. But if you cheat, you'll only be cheating yourself. And it might well be obvious, too! As host, I reserve the right to ask for your save file if I don't believe you. I'm sure none of you will cheat ;)

The prize for the fastest finish will be included in the achievements.

We all know this is a premium warmongering civ, so have fun spear-chucking your heart out.

Map Type:
Spoiler :
Oval

Starting location:
Spoiler :

Suggested VC:

Domination

Achievements:

A - Win before T200 - 2 points
B - Win without using Artillery (or later units) - another 2 points
C - Win without using Cannons (or later units) - another 2 points
D - Train, upgrade or buy at least 20 Impis - another 2 points
E - Keep 10 Impis in battle and alive until victory - another 2 points

and...

3 points for the fastest finisher, so this really makes it a race!

Difficulty level:

Spoiler :
Easy

No spoilers please!

and

Good Luck!

Attachments

• CDG #6 Zulu.Civ5Save
    520.5 KB · Views: 296
Sounds fun! :)

I barely have time to play once every so often (and hardly qualify for guruship), so I'm afraid I won't be contributing, but I would like to offer thanks and state that I really like the way that the DCL and CDG focus the community and offer inspiration to start games.

What about an "Impi-only" achievement:

F - Win without using any unit other than Impi to attack enemies (barbs excluded) - another 2 points

The last time I tried to play Shaka on Diety, Nappy had hill river walls before I could get a single Impi.

:/

That is a powerful starting location, and
Spoiler :
OVAL!
Map type as well! This map looks perfect for a good three city Honor-Commerce-Autocracy push. So we can have
Spoiler :
trebuchets, Knights, Galleas, frigates, and crossbows
though? That'll make things even faster (For those of us good enough to pull it off (Or have working computers!!!!)) Is winning by turn 100 even possible with Shaka though, having to wait until Civil Service for their unstoppable advantage? I doubt the map is small enough to pull it off anyways, but if someone can, it'll be epic.

Spoiler :
Settled @ Uluru, opened Liberty + Honor and forward settled Brazil who expanded towards the east first.

I DoW'd him early with my spearman (ruin upgrade) and 2 archers and eventually wiped him with comps.

Poland and Arabia DoW'd me right when I finished Civil Service but easily pushed them back.

Currently am about to finish the both of them but at this point, a sub-200 win seems unlikely given the amount of cities the remaining AI has and they all kinda hate me so bribing is out of the question.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts regarding social policies. I can see both sides of argument for:
-UA stacks well with Honour vs.
-UA makes Honour less necessary

The CDG maps have been quite big so far. Can we expect this map type to be similar? A bit smaller?

T193 Domination

There we go, the benchmark is set. Everyone should beat this, it was sloppy as hell. Anyway, I cba with a full write-up cuz I'm out of here. Nice knowing ya.

Attachments

• zulu finish.jpg
    zulu finish.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 622
T193 Domination

There we go, the benchmark is set. Everyone should beat this, it was sloppy as hell. Anyway, I cba with a full write-up cuz I'm out of here. Nice knowing ya.

Well, thanks for all the maps. You turned into a really good player too after a lot of hard work.

Take care!

T193 Domination cuz I'm out of here. Nice knowing ya.

Heard this many times over the last year or two... so... I do not believe it. I think Consentient started with Emp when he came to the DCL and in a short time he has become a strong Deity Player so even though this forum can be negative, his play improved from the forum.

Well, thanks for all the maps. You turned into a really good player too after a lot of hard work.

Take care!

I agree with this statement but I am willing to wager we will see yet another map from Consentient in the near future!! Addicts do not quit and that is what we are. We are not Civfanatics... We are Civaddicts!!

It is too bad Consentient will never see these posts because he is Gone and Outta Here lol!

What is the strategy for taking cities w/ melee units. Surround and then every hit, retreat, new wave move in?

I keep losing fresh Impi (after Armory, so w/ four Buffalo promotion). I am not really progressing.

What is the strategy for taking cities w/ melee units. Surround and then every hit, retreat, new wave move in?

I keep losing fresh Impi (after Armory, so w/ four Buffalo promotion). I am not really progressing.

I dont know, but I have a feeling you still have to cheese c-bows like 6 c-bow to 1 melee. The achievement means no siege, but I think it allows ranged.

^^ I have been avoiding range, just for RP.

EDIT: Not aiming for fast win time. Took one city (but has Alhambra!) and liberated one CS. T207 upgrading to Rifling, see how far that gets me. Going to try and avoid range and siege, but will take the gifts. No scarchers.

Using impi only limits the number of units that can attack a city in a given turn, as they have to be directly beside the city to attack. Build some range and/or siege units, which can hit the city from 2 tiles away (and, later, 3 tiles away). You can use more melee units than normal, but melee only would be a mistake, if aiming for a fast time, which is the theme for this particular game.

I dont know, but I have a feeling you still have to cheese c-bows like 6 c-bow to 1 melee. The achievement means no siege, but I think it allows ranged.

The achievements only reference siege units from Cannons onwards; perfectly fine to use pre-Cannon siege, and obviously CB and XB.

I think I should try 3 city HCA since I want to get to Medieval fast for both UU and XB. 200 turns should be enough for medieval start as well as honor helping with funding upgrades. Obviously using only impi is not the best but they should be the best units to kill other units and all ranged can focus on city. If I recall correctly, the impi extra attack doesn't work on cities. I'm nowhere as fast as Blatc so pretty sure I won't have the extra point for fastest finish.

My melee-only run was fun for a long while, but it has turned into a chore. It is ~T340 and I still have the two largest civ to chew through. Both are friendly with me, LOL, but I own the middle third of the map and I cannot get them to fight each other much. Both are starting to build SS parts, and I think I can take out or the other but not both.

The only positive is that one nuclear missile and XCOM will be online in three turns.

But the negatives:
Clausewitz is about to run out.
Map is light on uranium.
I am down to five Infantry (all level 10+), each death makes me sad.

At this point, I think it would be faster (real-time wise) to reset the game from scratch and use archers/CBs/XBs as normal.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts regarding social policies. I can see both sides of argument for:
-UA stacks well with Honour vs.
-UA makes Honour less necessary
My apparently second domination attempt at Deity was Zulu DCL #1. I remember trying to go Honor twice, and both times I just restarted. Third time I went Liberty, and it was significantly easier. The other two times I went Honor were Mongolia DCL (chariot archers->keshiks run, and keshiks almost ran out of steam by the end) and Greece DCL, where I abused Greek UA and Scholasticism to start warring after artillery.

Honor is weird: it's supposed to help you with war, but it doesn't actually help you start wars. Liberty gives hammers, culture, free settler, which is really good to start snowballing. This start looks like it has good production, so I might give Honor another attempt, and I am supposedly better at domination now, since all of my recent games were domination. :lol:

I think I am simply incapable of playing Honor. Here are two saves from around t100.

Honor:
- 3 crappy cities
- CB's and Impis, starting war around t90
- The AI too ahead

Tradition:
- 4 big cities
- Founded and enhanced religion
- t77 Oracle (finished Tradition), t82 NC
- t100 Education
- full infrastructure, ready to build universities
- 100% peaceful start. I was trying to plunder a caravan or steal a worker, but to no avail. I bought a worker, liberated one from a barbarian camp, and built the rest. If I did not send a warrior to walk circles around Belgrade for worker steal, my settlers wouldn't have to waltz around barbarians, and I would have been even more ahead.

After I build everything in my cities, I will start with Ikandas to pump out Impis. The plan is to start with artillery and upgraded into riflemen impis (they still get some bonuses from Ikanda). Then go to scientific theory and keep killing everybody. I want to see how far I can get with Shaka's UA promotion bonus. And I just enjoy industrial->modern warfare. :)

Attachments

• Shaka-Honor.jpg
    Shaka-Honor.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 286
  • Shaka-Tradition.jpg
    Shaka-Tradition.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 329
Honor is weird: it's supposed to help you with war, but it doesn't actually help you start wars. Liberty gives hammers, culture, free settler, which is really good to start snowballing. This start looks like it has good production, so I might give Honor another attempt, and I am supposedly better at domination now, since all of my recent games were domination. :lol:

My thoughts are similar. I've tried both Honour (that's how we spell it here, we add 'u's) and Liberty and much prefer the Liberty run.

It seems I've become stubborn about producing my own workers in recent games, so my road building is a bit behind.

I'm approaching this assuming Machinery and Civil Service are the last techs needed. As such I see no point building NC and, with Trade Routes going decently well, did not build libraries. Liberty finisher was GE for Machu Picchu.

I have the same problem with Honor, the timing of it just seems off. Many of the policies are frontloaded; a GG and combat strength is great but those abilities will be somewhat dormant for 40 turns or so while you tech up and prepare an army. Lower upgrade costs is an advantage later in the game (though cheaper CB is nice). By the time you get to Discipline you are rearing to go and don't want to have your troops mooching around in your cities. Military Tradition and the finisher are great though.

Then you have Tradition and Liberty where the policies bring massive benefits RIGHT when you need them.

I just can't get Honor to work, kudos to those who do:)

By the way, could this start be made to work with Mausoleum of Halicarnassus?

Similar thing with my honor game since I wanted to try it. My cities were tiny but the positive from it was the higher gold I can generate. At least I know I won't need education so as long as I can pump out units I'm good.

Top Bottom