Quest for Glory - Deity Challenge #1

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Hi everybody!

Welcome to a new series of Deity challenges!

Runty and basior came up with a proposal for a new Deity challenge series. So, I took the liberty of generating the first map. However, my intention is that we all could and should contribute if this initiative is to grow to a new series. I chose the name "Quest for Glory" to pinpoint the fact that winning on Deity is not a given and by comparing how others have performed on the same map, I hope it also will contribute to the development of our skills.

In this first contribution we will play as the Ottomans on a standard sized Continents map with standard speed. All VCs are enabled but here the task is to go for domination. The map has been slightly modified with the IGE. However, it should load normally. Please remember to report back how you fared.

The game file and a jpg-file of the starting location are attached.

Good luck to you all!

Attachments

• QFG1Ottomans start.jpg
    QFG1Ottomans start.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 176
  • QFG1DeitySuleiman_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    605.8 KB · Views: 50
Alllright! Another Deity series! Guess we won't see as many YASS as EDGE in our Quest for Glory :). This start already has me flummoxed as to what to do.

Alllright! Another Deity series! Guess we won't see as many YASS as EDGE in our Quest for Glory :). This start already has me flummoxed as to what to do.
Ha ha. Probably not. But vadalaz and I have volunteered to help out with GotM, so you might find a YASS there every now and then. ;)

Thanks for taking the initiative Nizef.

My thought was that we could all take turns posting games.

In re. YASS: These games are fun but the inspiration for this was reading consentient’s tier list so I will be keeping in mind the idea of comparing the theoretical Neutral Civ against whatever we are playing in a given game. Salt is so OP that I think it skews the results and may cause us to evaluate civs as being stronger than they would be on a non salt start.

I’m considering just ignoring coastal and settling on the river. That one fish feels like a trap. Chop those forests early will compensate for not settling a hill.

The Ottomans advantages are: Janissaries, Sipahis, Reduced naval maintenance, Prize ships.

1. Janissaries. Nothing complicated about it. Substantially better than the Musketmen of the Neutrals. UU rating = 2/5

2. Sipahis.
Lancers aren't much good anyway, and I'm not sure if the Sipahi is actually better than normal Lancers. More movement, more sight, better at pillaging, but weaker, so not so good in the one area that Lancers are already pretty bad (strength). I guess overall it could even out to a UU rating of 1/5

3. Reduced naval maintenance.
The map types I've chosen are quite likely to have naval warfare, so this is often useful, though not as useful as Germany's, since you will ALWAYS need 'boots on the ground'. There are some maps where you will not use naval warfare. Still, it's quite a big saving. UA rating =2/5.

4. Prize ships.
Since the main unit the Neutrals have that they are going to want to use for prize ships (Privateer) already have this promotion, it's not much of an advantage. On Deity, warring with Triremes and Caravels is really underpowered. UA rating = 1/5.

Civ rating = 6
For reference. Both consentient and the original tier list rank Ottomans in second-bottom tier.

Thank you Nizef for rebooting this challange!

Personaly - first time playing continets ever. This would a fun one! 🙂

I guess one have to conquer starting continet with XB and take on the other one with frigtes/arty for the fastest V time.

For reference. Both consentient and the original tier list rank Ottomans in second-bottom tier.
I think @consentient is spot on with this evaluation. I usually tend to think of the uniques of the civs in a slightly simpler way: Some civs are better than average, others are average and then there are some that are below average. The Ottomans definitely falls into the last category.

I'm having a rough time in QfG #1; I'm 6 turns from Industrial and one of the AI is already in Modern.
I’ll give more details in my final report but I was beaten to Autocracy. I think I’m second or third to industrial era and not sure whether to go for Order or take Autocracy and only get 1 free policy (seems pretty bad) but interested to see what some of the more experienced Dom players think.

Im currently at turn 165 and sadly game crashes after that. I'll try to reload 2 turns earlier autosave and see if that helps. But I'll try to describe my progress so far.

Spoiler turn 0-165 progress :
I went for Liberty CB rush on Aztecs prior to Xping my archers on nearby CS. Got DoF from Brazil and Theodora before capturing any cities. Then turns 95-130 I captured capitals on my contented. That put my economy on a pretty good spot for mass navy production. I attacked Zulu as soon as I got Frigates and slowly transferred my army to other content (5 range/logistics XB and couple knights). Captured 4 Zulu cities before t165 with a help of Janissaries and Figates. Game is pretty much won at this time as I will get artillery in 10-15 turns max. On top of that I think I can clear the Austria and Assyria with what I have atm since Figates are shooting everything near the shore and Janissaries are great meatshields.
Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-4 o 12.18.41.png

If anyone cares I can share some more insight on what could be done better here in my opinion. Really fun map to play.

At least I would like to know a bit more! Well played so far! Did you go for 3 self founded cities?

Than you Nizef. Im happy to elaborate ;)
Spoiler Explanation :
Just like mentioned I went 3 self founded cities. Coastal capital to feed it with cargo ships, 1st expo by the mountain and salt SW and 2nd by the citrus SE. I researched Construction on t 58 (also finished Pyramids around that time) and attacked Monty. Research wise it was NC from Oracle GE -> machinery -> Frigates. I try to always prepare at least couple of roads towards my next victim for faster troop movement. Altitude training wonder certainly helps with that :). After farming Monty and waiting for Machinery it was an easy march on Brazil, Carthage and Aztecs. Finished them around t135. During that 40 turns I was growing my science and economy, preparing for mass Frigate production. Filler policies went to consulates and then Rationalism (turned out It won't be need this map as can finish without Arty)
t140.png
t53.png

Last edited:
I know it is a lot of gaming, but I couldn´t resist putting out this game. And almost at the same time we wanted to kick start GotM with a Deity domination game as well. But it should be a lot of fun for you all. ;)

Turn 191 Dom Victory

Spoiler t165-191 :
I finally figured out that game crashes after I liberate one of Shaka captures CS's. Was pretty pissed after that as it took a hour of crashes to figure out and played pretty recklessly. Forgot that Nineveh is not the original cap of Assyria :) Finally finished with some Arty support. I forgot how powerful is was.
Moving on to the Austria game now :)
t191.png

Turn 191 Dom Victory

Spoiler t165-191 :
I finally figured out that game crashes after I liberate one of Shaka captures CS's. Was pretty pissed after that as it took a hour of crashes to figure out and played pretty recklessly. Forgot that Nineveh is not the original cap of Assyria :) Finally finished with some Arty support. I forgot how powerful is was.
Moving on to the Austria game now :)View attachment 661135
You are a great warmonger!

Wow turn 191, that’s impressive. I won’t read your report until I finish my game, but no way I’ll be anywhere close to that.

This was a fun game to play after GOTM 220. I learned a lot from that one, most importantly the power of Liberty over Tradition for conquest. With the Pyramids, the one turn repair turns into a huge offensive boost, healing units twice in one turn sometimes.

I wrapped up this game with the conquest of Assur on turn 187. I think the Ottomans are an underrated Domination civ. The Janissary is an amazing unit! The last attack of the game was from a near invisible unit - a Rifleman with rough terrain x3, altitude training, Janissary bonus, blitz and invincibility (upgraded from a Budapest Kris Swordsman).

3 city Liberty start. Settled on the marble which gave pretty quick access to two salt tiles - very nice.
Otto52.png

I took a great scientist for the Liberty bonus and planted him near Istanbul to pick up the science pace. The plan was to rush for Janissaries and Cannons and then upgrade the Cannons to Artillery for the final push on the other continent.

Patronage and rationalism were my other social policy trees. The happiness bonus from Patronage kicked in just in time to keep things steady taking the final capitals.

Otto 80.png

Rio fell on turn 139, Constantinople on turn 158 and Palenque on turn 159. I upgraded a few cannons sitting in Palenque harbour as soon as I hit Dynamite. Same thing east of the capital. Assyria had converted Istanbul to a religion with the ability to faith purchase units which provided a nice boost to the invasion army (3 Janissaries)
Rio 140.png

Ulundi was taken by first taking Nongoma through an Artillery barrage from Zanzibar, then planting a Citadel with a triple-promoted Rifleman to soak up attacks from waves of Impis. Artillery set up behind the Citadel took down Ulundi.

Ulundi 183.png

Assur fell to a two pronged attack. 2 Janissaries and a X-bow and Artillery from the north and the leftovers of the Austria invasion army from the south. My super-Rifleman is in the frame below.

Assur 187.png

Hey guys, got caught up with real life stuff for a while so haven’t had much time for Civ. I’ll post a quick summary of my game as I don’t really feel like going back to grind it out, especially after seeing these reports.

I settled three cities, moving my capital inland because the ocean looked very weak. Things were looking good after finding the second salt. I had been reading consentient’s guide and Pedro’s guide on Honor-Commerce-Autocracy so I figured I would give that a shot.

Early game was smooth, my two expansion cities were exact same locations as fiddlesticks. Stole two workers from Aztecs. We made peace. He DoWed me later but I was ready. I then bribed Brazil to join the fight as well and together we conquered him. At this point I had about 10-12 crossbows and didn’t want to just turtle until artillery. Brazil wanted to take out Pacal, so I marched over there and I captured Palenque. During this time I had been training cannons, and as soon as my crossbow army arrives back from the west, I unlocked artillery and quickly conquer Constantinople.

I was second to ideology, Austria went for Autocracy so I chose Order. Everything seemed to be going ok until Brazil chose Autocracy. I was quickly denounced, then he declared war on me while my main army was conquering the Zulu on the other continent. I soon lost Constantinople, but quickly recaptured. I never stopped training artillery, and could probably grind out the victory, but Pedro has Great War bombers now and the game is becoming a slog. I think I’m around turn 230-something.

Major mistake: not taking out Brazil immediately after Aztecs. He was my main friend giving me tons of gold for whatever I had to sell him. He also had Great Wall and his cities had huge population very early and I couldn’t really afford the happiness hit.

Minor mistake: not prioritizing my navy early enough. The coastal city was not great for pumping out ships and I forgot how nice it is to have 6-8 frigates on a continents map. They really help you secure those first two cities when you go to sweep the other continent.

Turn 212 victory.

Also settled 3 cities.

In my game Assyria took most of the other continent. Austria was gone by the time we made contact and Shaka lost his capital several time during the game.
I took

turn 110 - Tenochtitlan
turn 138 - Constantinopole
turn 156 - Rio
turn 173 - Palenque
turn 203 - Ulundi
turn 206 - Vienna

qfg 1.png

Top Bottom