Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

It should not. What I should do with those Myths/Tales of sea creatures, is allow you to re-base it only like fighters and missiles. When I get back I will look into it.

@DH: For existing games, when Tamer buildings disappear, and the Tamer Complex can't build anything due to no Myth Effects or whatever, does that mean tamed animals will be no more?

Any way around that? If not, any chance you could reconsider:(?

It should not. What I should do with those Myths/Tales of sea creatures, is allow you to re-base it only like fighters and missiles. When I get back I will look into it.

They'd have to be air units for that I think. Alternatively, you can simply set them to being unable to explore, as all subdued animals are.

In my current game, I have NO map resources AT ALL on my continent (that was intended). It's also mostly desert, dunes, rocky, barren und plains around my city. I still find the following animals: Desert Tarantula, Lizard (which both make sense), Pidgeons (don't wild pidgeons life in forests or do they nest in rocky hill sites?), Giant Ground Sloth (same? there are no forests) and even a Llama thingy (which was able to build me a Herd-Llama). Especially the last one looks odd from a game perspective - all the other "herdable" animals require their specific map bonus, right?

In my current game, I have NO map resources AT ALL on my continent (that was intended). It's also mostly desert, dunes, rocky, barren und plains around my city. I still find the following animals: Desert Tarantula, Lizard (which both make sense), Pidgeons (don't wild pidgeons life in forests or do they nest in rocky hill sites?), Giant Ground Sloth (same? there are no forests) and even a Llama thingy (which was able to build me a Herd-Llama). Especially the last one looks odd from a game perspective - all the other "herdable" animals require their specific map bonus, right?

Pigeons are also called "Rock Doves" and originally lived on the side of cliffs and other rocky places. That's why they do so well in huge urban cities.

Wild Llamas live in mountains and other high elevation terrain. You are probably getting them from the Rocky (and maybe Plains) terrains.

Ground Sloths mainly lived on the Pampas Savannas in South America. Thus are generated from Plains terrain I would guess.

In short all you described is correct.

@DH: For existing games, when Tamer buildings disappear, and the Tamer Complex can't build anything due to no Myth Effects or whatever, does that mean tamed animals will be no more?

Any way around that? If not, any chance you could reconsider:(?

It will be Tamer Complex and Myth Effect and Cage+ for most. For animals with herds it will probable be Tamer Complex and (Myth Effect or Herd) and (Cage or stable like building). Myth Effect is the free building from the Myth.

I am trying both one generic animal for a group as well as the individual animals to see which is better game wise. eg Tamed Raptor rather than Tamed Eagle, Tamed Hawk, Tamed Haast's Eagle and Tamed Sea Eagle

They'd have to be air units for that I think. Alternatively, you can simply set them to being unable to explore, as all subdued animals are.

They should already have the no reveal map on.

Pigeons are also called "Rock Doves" and originally lived on the side of cliffs and other rocky places. That's why they do so well in huge urban cities.

Wild Llamas live in mountains and other high elevation terrain. You are probably getting them from the Rocky (and maybe Plains) terrains.

Ground Sloths mainly lived on the Pampas Savannas in South America. Thus are generated from Plains terrain I would guess.

In short all you described is correct.

Thanks for that :)
My concern about the Llama was more gamewise. Horses (I think) also live on Plains, and you can only get them if there is a Horse Map Bonus; same is true for all other Animals that can give the Bonus (except for Pidgeons and Poultry IIRC). In other words, it's kind of an unfair advantage (a small one) if you can get Llamas without the Map Bonus.

Llamas were introduced to C2C before the resource was so the spawn is not based on resource. It should probably be changed. I have not gotten to Llamas in my animal review so I will add it to the list of things to look at.

Getting random maps to place Llamas in the "correct" Earth related areas would be good too. I have had a small break through on that and hope to get to the post map script Python soon with a fix for all the region based animal resources.

Perhaps it's just me but my game says Tamed Wolf requires Stories Effect - Tarantula:eek:. I can't find why in the XML.

@Faustmouse If you can make the extra buildings that would be good. Some animals already have one or two buildings, they will need to be extended to the full set. Don't worry about the animal group/taxonomy buildings. I do them later.

In my folder Modules/DancingHoskuld/Subdued_Animals file Subdue_Animals_CIV4UnitClassInfos.XML there are a number of animals that have not been done. Most actually as originally I moved the ones I was doing out.

For each animal in the file that does not build a set of buildings with their name in it you will need to create the buildings and adjust the unit information.

It would probably be best if you worked in my z_experimental folder as it is not being used. The template attached contains all the files needed for one set of buildings and changes.

Steps
  1. Select an animal and get its name (TYPE tag)
  2. open the unit art definition to find the name of the button dds.
  3. in the zTemplate building art definition file replace all #l_animal# with the name from step 2
  4. in all the zTemplate files replace #ANIMAL# with the name of the animal
  5. in the subdued animal unit file add in the MYTH, STORY and STORIES buildings buildings to those that the animal can build.
  6. in the zTemplate game text file
    • add some correct pedia information for the unit
    • change the HELP text to match the list of buildings the unit can build.
  7. You may need to edit the unit and subdued unit file to link the pedia text to the unit. Both use the same text.
  8. You may need to add the Help tag to the subdued unit also.

Does this make sense?

Attachments

• zTemplate.7z
    21.8 KB · Views: 51
Wolverine seems to be lacking some uses like animal mascot, governor menagerie, etc.

Don't tell HIM that! He's the best at what he does ;)

Ok I made the first set. See attachment, also for further details.

I'm totally DONE now and I still have to get on one more flight... So forgive me any mistakes :sad:

Attachments

• First Set.rar
    12.7 KB · Views: 51
Excellent, thanks. There is something wrong with the Boar I check it out. The new_pig is just a female boar.

If you do the unit file like the one attached you will have a WoC update to the units and everything can go in the experimental folder in the subdued animals folder and be tested straight away.

Oh cool :)
Great it worked out so well :goodjob:
The WoC idea with the units is very good; I'll edit my template to do this.

Do you know now what's wrong with the Boar?

And is the Bengal Tiger Button correct?

Fixed the boar and new_pig before loading it to the SVN this morning. It was conflicting slightly with the old version.

Forgot to check the Bengal Tiger button but will now. We do have extra buttons to use for some of the Myths already. From Hydro. I just have not loaded them up. edit Button is fine;)

I haven't worked on them since the first set... Actually, I only check this forum regulary more out of a habit; I haven't played civ for ages.

But I think most of the work was actually setting up a good master-file for mass production, which I already did.

With it you can copy/paste produce 10 of them at once within 30min or so. I'll post it with a short explanation a bit later.

Sorry :sad:

@DH: Here is the master template for mass producing the stories and myths for your animals.

0. Make a backup copy of the Master_File! If you accidently override it, I'll leave it here for download forever so you can get a new one.

1. open the Master_File

2. You can make 10 sets at once; starting with 0 going up to 9:

3. use ctrl+h for the "replace all" function. ALLWAYS CHECK THE "RESPECT CAPTIAL LETTER" FUNCTION (or whatever it is called in english; so that it distinguish between "TEST" and "test" for example.) Start with the button names:
a) replace #l_animal#0 with the name for of the button for the unit
b) you can now replace all #ANIMAL#0 (all capitals) with the name of the animal; this will create all 5 buildings for this animal
c) Now the names: replace all animal#0 (all non-capital) with the text name, so "Bear" instead of the "BEAR" for the tag.
d) repeat a) and then b) and c) with #l_animal#1 and then #ANIMAL#1 and so on until #9.
e) IMPORTANT: Always do the buttom names first, because otherwise it will override the #l_animal#0 to #l_BADGER for example, which will break the button path and you have to edit this manually.

4. When you are done with all 10 animals you have a nice master file with all the relevant entries.

5. Open the BuildingClassInfo, BuildingInfo, BuildingArt, BuildingText and the UnitInfos files where you want to have your buildings.
a) Select the first part of your Master_File with the BuildingClassInfo all the way down to where the art files start (search for ARTFILES) and copy/paste them into the correct files
b) proceed with Art files, BuildingInfo and Text, as well as the the UnitInfo.

6. Delete any entries that produced a duplicate, IE if the myth building for a unit already existed.

7. Add in the text for pedia and strategy as you wish.

This will create 10 sets in a relativly short time!

Attachments

• Master_File.txt
    118.1 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom