G-Minor CIV

No worries this way non-deity level folks can take a stab at it too. ;)

The date was a mistake, but let's see how a longer minor works out. We can always start another on the 16th like normal.
Are we gunna get another Minor for the mid month?

Is submitting a game in HOF working for you guys? It doesnt work for me...
Nope. Submitting games has not worked for at least the past day for me either. I managed to submit some games after getting back from vacation a week ago, but when I tried yesterday to submit something before the deadline, it did not work.

By the way, welcome back, everyone [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk

I have also had trouble submitting a game. I have one game ready to submit, but have taken the downtime to play some of the scenarios again. I especially like Into the Renaissance, Conquest of the New World (deluxe), and Smokey Skies.

This is officially the longest running Minor Gauntlet!

Since this is not over yet and the discussion seems to be quite dead, here is a couple benchmarks and a screenshot from my best early game so far (did not finish that one, but didnt have better early game yet).

4 cities: T-69 (pop: 6,6,5,5; 2 founded, 2 married)
Tradition finished: T-75
Civil Service: T-80
Education: T-95 (with Construction before)
T-100: Population 44; Gold 508(+30); Science +123; Culture 223/620(+38); Faith 231(+15)
Astronomy: T-108
Printing Press: T-126

T-100 screenshot:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2015-08-05_T-100.jpg
    2015-08-05_T-100.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 277
Since this is not over yet and the discussion seems to be quite dead, here is a couple benchmarks and a screenshot from my best early game so far (did not finish that one, but didnt have better early game yet).

4 cities: T-69 (pop: 6,6,5,5; 2 founded, 2 married)
Tradition finished: T-75
Civil Service: T-80
Education: T-95 (with Construction before)
T-100: Population 44; Gold 508(+30); Science +123; Culture 223/620(+38); Faith 231(+15)
Astronomy: T-108
Printing Press: T-126

Thanks for the post! I would be posting a bit more, but the forums are still loading slow as molasses for me. Supposedly it is just a temporary DNS name propagation thing, but loading pages, and especially posting, time out or almost time out each time...

Marrying into 2 CSes by T69 is pretty awesome. Both allying two good ones and having the cash to marry into them. Did you get a load of cash from peace deals? Was your army just archers and warriors, or did you beeline Construction and get some composite bowmen online ASAP to help in the shakedown? Did you go Great Library? If so, when did that and/or your National College go up about?

At least 6 unique luxes in the pic you supplied, which is nice. My problem with getting a really early juggernaut rolling has been happiness-- just not enough unique luxes to go around (usually max 5 for 4 cities and often only 4) and colosseums/pagodas take time to get set up for and built. I think my problem in the 1-2 games I played up to T100 was getting cities 5 and 6 going too soon. Big strain on happiness early. Do you have any religious happiness going on in the above start? Did you get luxes from AIs in peace deals?

Great start on this one!

I haven't really gotten into this one in earnest yet-- just messing around with starts to try to get an early good one. Did go a bit far in one start when I had 3 natural wonders (though no mountains and not a ton of good food tiles) , but found the Civ5 Wiki led me astray telling me my capital's King Solomon's Mines count as a mountain for observatory building. A bald-faced lie I tell you :) In addition, I found Mt. Fuji will let you build an observatory adjacent but not allow you to build Machu Picchu !? Anyway, will try to get a decent game in next week and post about it, forums willing.

It was a peacefull game from my part, I did not DoW anyone after stealing an initial worker around T-27 or so. The cash came just from scouting (3 scouts) and trading (had a couple early DoFs). Not sure if I got a bit of cash from bullying too.

Yea I went for GL, got it up T-56 I think with 3 cities, because I bought Budapest very early. Had to rush buy library in Budapest and NC took a little longer than usual (= with 2 cities), so it finished probably like T-68 or so.

Yea, happiness is always tough for me too. I tried going for 5 or 6 cities early on, but it just didnt seem to work. I think 4 cities is best, then usually 5th city after Notre Dame and 6th city after Universal Suffrage, sometimes earlier if things go well.

I did not use religion for happiness at all, always just for faith, money and growth. Not even pagodas, which I might actually try next game, dunno.

Thanks for the Natural Wonders info btw, was wondering about that too :)

It was a peacefull game from my part, I did not DoW anyone after stealing an initial worker around T-27 or so. The cash came just from scouting (3 scouts) and trading (had a couple early DoFs). Not sure if I got a bit of cash from bullying too.

Yea I went for GL, got it up T-56 I think with 3 cities, because I bought Budapest very early. Had to rush buy library in Budapest and NC took a little longer than usual (= with 2 cities), so it finished probably like T-68 or so.

Yea, happiness is always tough for me too. I tried going for 5 or 6 cities early on, but it just didnt seem to work. I think 4 cities is best, then usually 5th city after Notre Dame and 6th city after Universal Suffrage, sometimes earlier if things go well.

I did not use religion for happiness at all, always just for faith, money and growth. Not even pagodas, which I might actually try next game, dunno.

Thanks for the Natural Wonders info btw, was wondering about that too :)
Thanks for answering my questions. Cash to buy 2 CS annexations and a library totally rocks! I will have to start getting a 3rd scout out there sooner to pick up earlier exploration cash and maybe a lucrative hut. I agree with your call on the city expansion.

It is an interesting choice on whether to go friendly or hostile in this one. Going friendly lets you get lux trades for cash or happiness or WLTKDay luxes going early and allows for safer trade routes and possible research agreements. Going hostile can net some impressive cash from peace deals early and allow you to add a city or two by conquest without slowing down your capital growth or building queue. Occasional CS bullying with your large army can bring in cash too. The downsides are everyone will hate you all game so lux trades or RAs are out the window pretty much. Courthouses need to go up sooner rather than later as well!

I may try to get a game in each way to compare. It boils down to if you have good AI caps to conquer nearby. If so, I will go hostile. If not, I will go friendly and see how it rolls.

Gauntlet was extended until 16th.

Thanks so much for getting the HoF functionality back up! I appreciate your time and efforts greatly!

You might want to check the backlog of existing submissions to make sure they get accepted properly before declaring everything totally good now, though. Submissions have been working the past couple days, but I have submissions from 2 weeks ago that have yet to be checked. Thanks again.

EDIT: Only page seemingly not working is the VVV Overall page.

Just played my best playthrough so far, but made an idiotic mistake in the end and only equalled my best again :/ I forgot that those 2 free Great Scientists from Hubble will change the GS counter as well. Would have most likely been a T-215 finish if it wasnt for that.

Attachments

• 2015-08-11_T100.jpg
    2015-08-11_T100.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 72
  • 2015-08-11_T150.jpg
    2015-08-11_T150.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 2015-08-11_T200.jpg
    2015-08-11_T200.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 87
Just played my best playthrough so far, but made an idiotic mistake in the end and only equalled my best again :/ I forgot that those 2 free Great Scientists from Hubble will change the GS counter as well. Would have most likely been a T-215 finish if it wasnt for that.

Very nice game! I feel for you on the Hubble build. The Great People counters are the easiest thing to overlook/mismanage-- even if you remember things it is easy to slip up! I have screwed it up more than a few times :rolleyes:

I notice that you married into 2 CSes between T150 and T200-- Were those cities fully developed (as in, did they have science buildings in addition to other infrastructure)? It seems like if you acquire a city that is behind the curve, it will take a bunch of cash (that could go to spaceship parts) to catch it up quickly. Normally it isn't wise to get cities that late, but Diplomatic Marriage is pretty powerful to get an advanced city undamaged for gold only!

I have an old mothballed decent start I am going to queue up again today and give this one a good effort before the deadline. If I get a good game in, maybe I'll move up to Deity and give the Deity challenge a try as well, but that's a big if! Good luck to everyone giving this a try.

I notice that you married into 2 CSes between T150 and T200-- Were those cities fully developed (as in, did they have science buildings in addition to other infrastructure)? ...

They were developed all right, both had a university. I had to buy just 2 public schools and 1 aquaduct. Money is usually not a problem for me in this challenge.

You might want to check the backlog of existing submissions to make sure they get accepted properly before declaring everything totally good now, though. Submissions have been working the past couple days, but I have submissions from 2 weeks ago that have yet to be checked. Thanks again.
Done. (Peets and I were playing chicken with all those entries to do. I guess I lost. :mischief:)

EDIT: Only page seemingly not working is the VVV Overall page.
There was a security issue that I had thought was corrected. I didn't check, so of course it wasn't. :hammer2: I have requested the fix again. Thanks.

Congrats to the medalists! I think the tightness of the results attests to the fact that we pushed the envelope a bit on this one. 5 fastest finishes within 6 turns of each other!

JoeSham played extremely well. If that T217 game was the one with the messed up Hubble build, I wonder how it would have turned out otherwise! Heck of a game. Mesix and Bram with 2 gauntlet medals this update are on fire as well.

I regret I didn't have time to try another good start - could only finish the game I had mothballed at the start of the month when I thought the gauntlet was over. Had a pretty decent capital but my expos were either growth or production limited. I may revisit this one after hitting a hardscramble T222 win- I want one of those big wheat Great Plains maps where my cities can grow like weeds with no effort to see how far I can push things. Oh, and more than 2 mercantile CSes while I am wishing. [emoji6]

I will do a writeup in the next day or two. I definitely learned some things in this one.

PS - Almost forgot to give a big shoutout to raistlin1967. His score of 10000+ on this totally blew everyone else's score away. Next closest was 6000something. That is not just the highest score but total domination!

GG, it was a fun gauntlet. Quite a few decent submissions, congrats to all!

JoeSham played extremely well. If that T217 game was the one with the messed up Hubble build, I wonder how it would have turned out otherwise!...

No, it was another game. That one finished on T-220, but like I said earlier, it would have been a T-215 finish and my best. Oh well, stupid mistake, hopefully I will remember to watch the Hubble and GS counter more closely in the endgame next time.

Top Bottom